Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No other changes than cover, included 'Mech, and assorted record keeping materials for the new 'Mech that I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thanks!

Also, I finished my Nova Cat. Put it side by side with one of my clix Nova Cats for comparison. Even though I'd like to make all my Nova Cats Shiva Keshik (White is majority-white, a little to no gray), I find a gray base with white highlights looks way cooler.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

Exclusives:
A Game of Armored Combat: BattleMaster, Awesome, Thunderbolt, Catapult, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine*, Commando, Locust
Beginner Box (Original): Wolverine*, Griffin
Clan Invasion: Executioner, Timberwolf*, Grendel, Nova, Adder
Urbanmech: Kickstarter/Convention Only

*Units may be found in other exclusive boxes, or with a variant sculpt in a standard box

Upcoming:
Beginner Box (Mercenary Edition): Vindicator, Griffin
Alpha Strike Box: Wraith, Atlas(x), Archer(x), Warhammer(x), Phoenix Hawk(x), Blackjack (z), Wasp (x), Locust (x), Pouncer, Timberwolf (x), Warhawk (x), Firemoth (x), Nova (x)

(x) Definitely available in another box, but may be reposed
(z) Definitely a unique re-sculpt or repose

Turns out I had the 'Mechs from Game of Armored Combat due to there being a selection in Kickstarter add-ons for "just the 'Mechs" from it.

Looks like I'll be getting the Merc Edition Beginner Box *just* for the Vindicator and the Alpha Strike Box *just* for the Wraith (ok fine, the Pouncer too). Thanks for putting together this list!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Turns out I had the 'Mechs from Game of Armored Combat due to there being a selection in Kickstarter add-ons for "just the 'Mechs" from it.

Looks like I'll be getting the Merc Edition Beginner Box *just* for the Vindicator and the Alpha Strike Box *just* for the Wraith (ok fine, the Pouncer too). Thanks for putting together this list!

Mail me the terrain and alpha strike cards if you actually do this.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Comstar posted:

What's the changes for "Mercenary-themed" Beginner Box, beyond it having a Vindicator (and a 10 ton difference between the two mechs. How is that going to work?). Is it just the box art or are there other changes?

There's been some minor clarifications to the rulebook text (and a new layout for it). The Vindi has been given an edges in terms of Gunnery Skill to help even out the contests in the box.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 7, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a good thing the Vindicator doesn't have the No Torso Twist quirk anymore.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's a good thing they killed No Torso Twist, hacked its head off with a shovel and buried them beneath two different crossroads.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Agreed. No Torso Twist was easily the worst, most crippling quirk in the game, and now that it is no longer a thing, so many designs have a chance to flourish.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quirks are and were always optional and don't impact BV so I've never used them outside of RPG campaigns, but I'm glad to see that one gone even if it never came up in my games. Definitely the worst example of "art as rules" sneaking into the game. It should just be assumed that 'mechs have a way of twisting around regardless of how they look. maybe they have a turret waist or maybe the legs are articulated in such a way that it can contort itself in a way that is effectively the same, or whatever.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So the recent kerfuffle about a writer leaving because he's going to kickstart his own Big Giant Robots universe and game has shown up many many different Battletech channels on YouTube for me.

Which ones are good to watch and which ones are there to avoid? The one's with "Cancel Culture" video's in the last 2 weeks, seem to be ones to avoid.

In the lighter side of the news, I magically found what seems to be the last box of Inner Sphere Battle Lance available on the planet for sale- in a wargame store that has no internet sale presence and only a few books left. It's the box of plastic dolls I always wanted.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Quirks are and were always optional and don't impact BV so I've never used them outside of RPG campaigns, but I'm glad to see that one gone even if it never came up in my games. Definitely the worst example of "art as rules" sneaking into the game. It should just be assumed that 'mechs have a way of twisting around regardless of how they look. maybe they have a turret waist or maybe the legs are articulated in such a way that it can contort itself in a way that is effectively the same, or whatever.

CGL has also been redesigning many of the units to have actual waists as well. If you take a look at the new redesigns for the Jenner and Black Hawk for example, you'll see that they ditched that incredibly stupid 'Let's attach the legs to the shoulders' artistic choice and actually gave them functional hips.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I was kinda shocked at the Nova redesign tbh. Always thought that crazy leg/shoulder design was iconic.

The no torso twist never bothered me bc I figured pilots should know how to turn on a dime with those jumpjet thrusters Battlestar Galactica style :cool:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Mail me the terrain and alpha strike cards if you actually do this.

Now that I think about it again, I'll probably be picking up the Merc Beginner Box regardless, but I'm hoping for a "Just the minis" backer option for the AS box as well

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Comstar posted:

So the recent kerfuffle about a writer leaving because he's going to kickstart his own Big Giant Robots universe and game has shown up many many different Battletech channels on YouTube for me.

Which ones are good to watch and which ones are there to avoid? The one's with "Cancel Culture" video's in the last 2 weeks, seem to be ones to avoid.

The Death From Above guys seem pretty above board, I haven't seen any weirdness from them.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Comstar posted:

In the lighter side of the news, I magically found what seems to be the last box of Inner Sphere Battle Lance available on the planet for sale- in a wargame store that has no internet sale presence and only a few books left. It's the box of plastic dolls I always wanted.

I would reccommend you stay away from anyone who treats the Pardoe ""cancelling""" as either a big victory or defeat. This is a game about big robots stompin' around and shooting each other while their pilots experience brain worms from a species called writerius fiatus. It's fun miniatures and decent fiction and EXTENSIVE lore and good - great videogames.

In short, with regards to the community, adopt this attitude:

just my 2c

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Getting rid of Pardoe is a massive positive but the best thing to do is to stop caring about the white supremacist who is also a bad writer.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Defiance Industries posted:

Getting rid of Pardoe is a massive positive but the best thing to do is to stop caring about the white supremacist who is also a bad writer.

This is where I'm at.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

This 100%. He's no longer a factor in the setting, and screaming about it on Twitter or whatever, regardless of whether you were in favor or against him getting canned, does nothing except give the little bonfire he started oxygen to grow. Best to just ignore him and his defenders and go back to giant robot mayhem, and if some people decide to leave because of it... :shrug:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Don't get me wrong, Pardoe is a turd, but the idiots who are still having a massive slapfight on twitter and other places over it aren't really battletech fans - at least not the ones you'd want to hang out with. A whole shitload of gen con announcements and you're still going on what is more or less a done deal? Pardoe said he wouldn't come back if asked, Catalyst deleted the post saying they were going to make a statement, mostly because it's pointless, and more importantly, the people saying they'd never support catalyst again didn't stop 300k+ from falling into the hands of the latest Leviathans Kickstarter, I expect Battletech Mercenaries will likely do even better than Clan Invasion.

Basically it's over. But there are people still fighting about it, right now! Yelling about cancel culture and whether it exists or not, etc. Is that the battletech community? I don't know, but none of the people I play with in my discord, both tabletop or video game know or care about the drama. And that's probably the best way to go about it. Or you can go and get into screech and block fights with people online. It's your one life on this planet, you do you!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I expect Battletech Mercenaries will likely do even better than Clan Invasion.

It definitely will if they put five cats in a box as a stretch goal. :v:

Timberwolf, Mad Cat Mk. II, Mad Cat Mk. III, Savage Wolf, Alpha Wolf... all in one box :swoon:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Engaging with fashy culture warrior types is dumb, but I think stating those that respond are "fake fans" or whatever is also kind of dumb. I don't know how engaged those people are with Battletech and it doesn't really matter.

I also don't really think Pardoe was fired for being a right winger, so his whining is pretty hollow. The general story I've been able to piece together from my admittedly half-hearted investigation is that he went in on the company that was set up to produce the "deluxe" miniatures and they ended up doing a pretty poo poo job of it with the Stormcrow and Black Knight minis being super delayed. Catalyst started looking around for a different company to do those and Pardoe's company then decided to make their own knockoff Battletech in response. Catalyst wasn't wild about this and decided to stop commissioning Pardoe for new stuff, who then threw a tantrum about being cancelled because he either wants that sweet, sweet chud money, truly thinks he's a persecuted truth-teller, or most likely both.

Now, his recent mask-off approach to his poo poo politics probably didn't help his case, and based on his behavior over the last month or so, I bet he's a nightmare to work with. I suspect he was a guy who was kept around because he's been writing for the brand since like 1990 and those kind of guys are impossible to get rid of in a company like Catalyst that's seemingly frozen in amber. The poor reception of his recent output (including the novel that was supposed to launch the flagship line, lol) couldn't have helped either, but if he thought Catalyst would keep him on after he launched a knockoff direct competitor to Battletech he's delusional.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FishFood posted:

Engaging with fashy culture warrior types is dumb, but I think stating those that respond are "fake fans" or whatever is also kind of dumb. I don't know how engaged those people are with Battletech and it doesn't really matter.

I also don't really think Pardoe was fired for being a right winger, so his whining is pretty hollow. The general story I've been able to piece together from my admittedly half-hearted investigation is that he went in on the company that was set up to produce the "deluxe" miniatures and they ended up doing a pretty poo poo job of it with the Stormcrow and Black Knight minis being super delayed. Catalyst started looking around for a different company to do those and Pardoe's company then decided to make their own knockoff Battletech in response. Catalyst wasn't wild about this and decided to stop commissioning Pardoe for new stuff, who then threw a tantrum about being cancelled because he either wants that sweet, sweet chud money, truly thinks he's a persecuted truth-teller, or most likely both.

Now, his recent mask-off approach to his poo poo politics probably didn't help his case, and based on his behavior over the last month or so, I bet he's a nightmare to work with. I suspect he was a guy who was kept around because he's been writing for the brand since like 1990 and those kind of guys are impossible to get rid of in a company like Catalyst that's seemingly frozen in amber. The poor reception of his recent output (including the novel that was supposed to launch the flagship line, lol) couldn't have helped either, but if he thought Catalyst would keep him on after he launched a knockoff direct competitor to Battletech he's delusional.

Oh yeah, there's way more going on here than "You literally wouldn't stop getting into internet fights with the faith person and therefore you're cancelled". Starting your OWN battletech competitor was probably not wise. There's more than a few people at Catalyst who very openly celebrated his departure, so I guess he just wasn't very popular. Blaine claims the sales of his work have remained steady, but I can't imagine how much water the average Battletech novel draws, and companies might start looking cock-eyed at someone who posts ~controversial~ opinions nonstop.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BattleMaster posted:

Agreed. I had to go back and look at the Vindicator artwork.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

It should just be assumed that 'mechs have a way of twisting around regardless of how they look.

Honestly, 'Mechs should be pretty flexible. They're muscle over bone with a ceramic exoskeleton. If they wanted to say that the ceramic-composite 'Mech armors are flexible and can bend a few degrees without being damaged (but not so far that they don't need visible joints) I'd believe it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mechs should have asses

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Kintaro especially.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The upcoming kickstarter will have a Dummy Thicc add-on to give your minis lovely butts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's only a matter of time now before we start wanting to gently caress the robots.

I'll go first. lemme tap that crusader rear end

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Is there a place to buy bases that match the bases used on the plastic mechs? I bought some from Death Ray designs, and while very nice, they're mdf and don't really have space for a magnet on the bottom. I also like things to match because I'm just like that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FishFood posted:

Is there a place to buy bases that match the bases used on the plastic mechs? I bought some from Death Ray designs, and while very nice, they're mdf and don't really have space for a magnet on the bottom. I also like things to match because I'm just like that.

Closest I've found is Reaper.

But they're lipped and I also want things to match so I waste way too much time filling them in with green stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was just grabbing a hobby kit to paint my new mechs (ended up buying AGOAC after all) today and what do you know, I actually happened to look at hex bases at the shop. They had some IWM mechs and I was surprised to see they didn’t come with bases, which is why I checked if they had any.

So, would these in fact be suitable? https://themakerscult.com/shop/product/aristeia-30mm-hexagonal-bases/

They don’t have the raised lip part, unlike the Reaper or Proxie ones.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a cyborg mug posted:

I was just grabbing a hobby kit to paint my new mechs (ended up buying AGOAC after all) today and what do you know, I actually happened to look at hex bases at the shop. They had some IWM mechs and I was surprised to see they didn’t come with bases, which is why I checked if they had any.

So, would these in fact be suitable? https://themakerscult.com/shop/product/aristeia-30mm-hexagonal-bases/

They don’t have the raised lip part, unlike the Reaper or Proxie ones.

those are fine. but you can get those kinds of things from aliexpress for much cheaper..

This guy is selling those 30mm hex bases for .40c a pop: http://shogunminiatures.com/shogunminjaturesmagbases.html

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 10, 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You could probably very carefully use a pin vice to drill a hole the size of a magnet into an MDF base if you couldn't find a good plastic solution.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The Reaper ones might do the trick, but I might just see if any of my local stores have something. Would be cool if Catalyst sold some that match the plastic minis, though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

FishFood posted:

The Reaper ones might do the trick, but I might just see if any of my local stores have something. Would be cool if Catalyst sold some that match the plastic minis, though.

Em4miniatures do them but they're in the UK
£1.80 for 20pcs.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I want to dream of making a Periphery Mercenary/Pirate company/battalion who fled the Magistracy of Canopus and set up their own world with catgirls (is that an actual thing?) and better blackjack. What books or which source books should I get/buy/read to get a better background? There's several and I can't work out which is the latest one.

Field Manual: Periphery
Field Report: Periphery
Handbook: Major Periphery States
The Periphery (sourcebook) (1st or 2nd edition)

Anything else?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 10, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Telling him that having good sales and ratings didn't matter and he was done anyway was a gigachad move(if it happened at all). Guy's online persona is toxic as hell and if the summary someone posted over on the chans of Blue Dawn was accurate he was pushing a lot of buttons for absolutely no reason:

'Liberals get a supermajority and SCOTUS control, and immediate declare the constitution null and void, make pedophilia legal, make gender transition mandatory if you hit certain psychological markers, and use the Republican voter registry to round up everyone who has ever voted for a right-wing candidate and put them into literal death camps. They neutralize the military by bringing in foreign militaries under the guise of liaison workshops; there's a short fire fight where the Canadian army takes over Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana and gains control of the nuclear weapons controlled from there. The book centers around a small band of heroic right wing freedom fighters led by a struggling sci-fi writer and his improbability attractive redhead girlfriend, and basically reenacts the plot of the original "Red Dawn" film. Instead of everyone dying at the end, it sets up an overthrow of the liberal government and the installation of a new one-party right wing government where taxation an immigration are both illegal.'

Bloody hell that's about half a step away from the Turner Diaries. I uh would not want as a company to be associated with any of that either.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

feedmegin posted:

'Liberals get a supermajority and SCOTUS control, and immediate declare the constitution null and void, make pedophilia legal, make gender transition mandatory if you hit certain psychological markers, and use the Republican voter registry to round up everyone who has ever voted for a right-wing candidate and put them into literal death camps. They neutralize the military by bringing in foreign militaries under the guise of liaison workshops; there's a short fire fight where the Canadian army takes over Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana and gains control of the nuclear weapons controlled from there. The book centers around a small band of heroic right wing freedom fighters led by a struggling sci-fi writer and his improbability attractive redhead girlfriend, and basically reenacts the plot of the original "Red Dawn" film. Instead of everyone dying at the end, it sets up an overthrow of the liberal government and the installation of a new one-party right wing government where taxation an immigration are both illegal.'

Bloody hell that's about half a step away from the Turner Diaries. I uh would not want as a company to be associated with any of that either.

Oh yeah, Pardoe himself said his wife told him the book would probably cost him Battletech and whoopsie look at that...

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

I want to dream of making a Periphery Mercenary/Pirate company/battalion who fled the Magistracy of Canopus and set up their own world with catgirls (is that an actual thing?) and better blackjack. What books or which source books should I get/buy/read to get a better background? There's several and I can't work out which is the latest one.

Field Manual: Periphery
Field Report: Periphery
Handbook: Major Periphery States
The Periphery (sourcebook) (1st or 2nd edition)

Anything else?

Handbook: Major Periphery States is the latest and most comprehensive Periphery sourcebook overall. The Periphery (1st edition) is extremely inaccurate in places, the Field Manual is focused mainly on the militaries of the Periphery states, and the Field Report is a pretty short sourcebook that just gives a brief update for the Periphery militaries and industries immediately after the Jihad.
You might also want to look at Field Manual: Mercenaries if you're making your own mercenary company, preferably the revised one.

And yes, Canopian catgirls are a thing, and Canopian mermaids, and Canopian centaurs, and lots more; they're really just cyborgs. There's a picture of a Canopian catgirl and mermaid in the A Time of War Companion.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're also sex workers who are pressured into getting these invasive operations done by pimps to attract the weird Johns.