Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’d both have to get much less valuable for that to be attractive. I don’t think any manufacturer is interested in paying 30-40 billion for a company with minimal revenue and if they start to generate significant revenue then their stock will probably go up and make buying them a more expensive proposition. If either gets acquired in the near term it’s probably because they can’t grow revenue fast enough and are in a death spiral and at that point they’re just being bought for whatever patents they hold.

Who would even buy them? Chrysler can’t afford it at the other US manufacturers already have better selling EVs. Toyota has no use for 100k luxury EVs right now and the German marques already have their own EVs coming out that compete directly. They’d fit well in the JLR portfolio but Tata also cant afford them unless they get a lot cheaper.

Yeah I think it'll be for the patents and associated IP, I don't think they'll be able to ramp up production enough to justify their incredibly bloated stock price and it death spirals.

Perhaps something like Amazon buys them for the van production, alternatively. Anyways just idle speculation, I just would be surprised if they last as an independent entity with all the issues everyone is having producing vehicles, sourcing batteries etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I suspect the IP, while somewhat valuable, is not that valuable. A new clean sheet platform is like one or two billion dollars. I doubt Rivian contains 20 new vehicle platform's worth of innovation and patents.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I suspect the IP, while somewhat valuable, is not that valuable. A new clean sheet platform is like one or two billion dollars. I doubt Rivian contains 20 new vehicle platform's worth of innovation and patents.

Yep no arguments here. $40B valuation is just ridiculous.

Once the real big car making folks get all in on EVs these little brands are going to have a real tough time of it. Nothing against the cars themselves or the engineering involved, it'll just be extremely difficult to stay afloat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Feeling real nervous about my $150k adventure van with all this rivian death spiral chat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Yep no arguments here. $40B valuation is just ridiculous.

Once the real big car making folks get all in on EVs these little brands are going to have a real tough time of it. Nothing against the cars themselves or the engineering involved, it'll just be extremely difficult to stay afloat.

Some percentage of them will be able to get by as a luxury status symbol until the brand is bought up by Daimler or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

builds character posted:

Feeling real nervous about my $150k adventure van with all this rivian death spiral chat.

No no nothing is certain and I don't know jack poo poo about anything car manufacturing related :haw:

The cars/trucks are great! And I hope they can make enough to stay afloat and be successful. But I'm not super optimistic.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

builds character posted:

For what it's worth, I think Rivian is going to be okay. They may have to lay off a bunch of staff and scale back their vision, but they'll probably be okay.

Lucid motors, maybe not so much.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is Tesla the only auto maker allowed to have crazy valuation?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

priznat posted:

Interesting to read that Rivian is going to make dual motor versions of the R1T and R1S, for around $10k less each.. That would be interesting because most people don't really need the quad motor for just toodling around suburbia.

Really a silly way to do it. They should have had a dual motor model from the beginning, then sold the quad for $20k extra.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Really a silly way to do it. They should have had a dual motor model from the beginning, then sold the quad for $20k extra.

Agreed but I think it was a way to really sell it as a true blue offroading vehicle

Plus dual motors wouldn't be able to do the tank turns I don't think? :haw:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Saukkis posted:

If you’ve only got limited production capacity and you expect to fill your pipeline you should probably fill it with the most expensive model.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also imagine that if it gets the point where Rivian or Lucid have lost 80% of their value then they will probably have been underfunding R&D for a while to keep the lights on and the IP will have lost value as others caught up to whatever technical advantages they may have had.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's up with Doom our resident Rivian poster, haven't seen his posts recently.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Russian Bear posted:

What's up with Doom our resident Rivian poster, haven't seen his posts recently.

They had a forums name change, but they also haven't posted here in a while. Good chance they are, or soon to be, no longer at rivian :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love Rivian and I think it will do well

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

They had a forums name change, but they also haven't posted here in a while. Good chance they are, or soon to be, no longer at rivian :v:

I mean I assume with the skillset that he had.. there are plenty of places to go, especially now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Russian Bear posted:

I mean I assume with the skillset that he had.. there are plenty of places to go, especially now.

IIRC he was close to retiring

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

IIRC he was close to retiring

He probably bought the sailboat he was talking about, and is somewhere in the pacific right now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

He probably bought the sailboat he was talking about, and is somewhere in the pacific right now.

Not posting :argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

cruft posted:

Not posting :argh:

:unsmith: he got out

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
You guys think I should buy a pretty kitted out bolt euv at 34k after Chevy discount + state tax rebate? is that a good deal recognizing it’s just a primary commuter or nah?

Got a lemon of a gas guzzler gonna poo poo the bed any time now really wanna go ev and it’s available at msrp. Gotta drive like 250 miles to get it tho.

Just weirded out by the “exploding battery” and corresponding Chevy price drop. Is this a dumb move??????

hobbez fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 9, 2022

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't think it's dumb but I may be biased because I'm also considering it. Gotta trade up from the spark sometime, why not do it while it's worth way more than it should be?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The 2023 Lightning prices went up by quite a bit this morning, the Pro's up by $7k, $5k for the Lariat. The mobile charger's no longer included, and costs $500. The max tow package is now $1k. I think I'll pass on this since they didn't let me order a 2022.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The 2023 Lightning prices went up by quite a bit this morning, the Pro's up by $7k, $5k for the Lariat. The mobile charger's no longer included, and costs $500. The max tow package is now $1k. I think I'll pass on this since they didn't let me order a 2022.

They did increase the range of the standard battery by 10 miles, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LMAO that the XLT package is $34,000.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

bird with big dick posted:

LMAO that the XLT package is $34,000.

Nah, he's got the big battery selected. XLT is like a 13-15k package and the rest of that is big battery + onboard power package (which is frustratingly mandatory for the big battery).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hobbez posted:

You guys think I should buy a pretty kitted out bolt euv at 34k after Chevy discount + state tax rebate? is that a good deal recognizing it’s just a primary commuter or nah?

Got a lemon of a gas guzzler gonna poo poo the bed any time now really wanna go ev and it’s available at msrp. Gotta drive like 250 miles to get it tho.

Just weirded out by the “exploding battery” and corresponding Chevy price drop. Is this a dumb move??????

I bought a Bolt with a known recalled battery, trusting that their software fix would reduce the likelihood of an already pretty statistically unlikely event. Car didn't blow up, so that strategy paid off, I guess.

I now have a 2019 Bolt with a brand new battery and corresponding brand new 8 year drivetrain warranty. IMHO a used Bolt is a really smart move right now.

But you're not asking about a used Bolt, you're asking about a brand new Bolt EUV. In my estimation, Chevy is probably making the safest batteries on the market now. Imagine what would happen to their reputation if they had to do another recall of every car on the road. I can assure you Chevrolet has thought a lot about this same question.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Not surprising but that really sucks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Not surprising but that really sucks.

I'm sure they'll sell every single truck they build but I thought I'd be able to get one I could afford but nope.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol and people were saying Rivian was gonna die

not if the F150 everybody wants starts at $80k

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol and people were saying Rivian was gonna die

not if the F150 everybody wants starts at $80k

pricing wasn't the issue for rivian it's if they can produce in quantities required.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I bought my EV6 in May of this year, does this new tax bill mean I’m hosed and can no longer claim the 7.5K tax credit on next years taxes?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Biodome posted:

I bought my EV6 in May of this year, does this new tax bill mean I’m hosed and can no longer claim the 7.5K tax credit on next years taxes?
You can still claim the existing tax credit since you bought the car this year.

The new/upcoming thing is different and separate, and I believe it's a rebate at the point of sale, rather than a tax credit on your filing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Related weird question about the tax rebate. I bought a Polestar 2 in Jan of this year and due to work, I may be relocating abroad where I likely won't need a vehicle. If I sell my car and move in say, October, can I still claim the $7500 rebate?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Related weird question about the tax rebate. I bought a Polestar 2 in Jan of this year and due to work, I may be relocating abroad where I likely won't need a vehicle. If I sell my car and move in say, October, can I still claim the $7500 rebate?

Assuming you didn’t make too much money and also assuming you made enough to have incurred 7500 in tax.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Ok cool - I do fit the other criteria, just wanted to know if you still had to own the vehicle through the end of the year.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nope, as long as you didn't buy the vehicle with the intent to flip it then you're good.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks thread!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hold up, I thought you needed to own the car for 3 years or you'd have to pay back the rebate??

edit: it's understandably very hard to find info right now since everyone is talking about the new credit, but it seems like I am incorrect. Maybe it's the CA $2k rebate I'm thinking of? I coulda sworn there was a reason I wasn't flipping my Leaf when prices skyrocketed lol

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 10, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hawkperson posted:

Hold up, I thought you needed to own the car for 3 years or you'd have to pay back the rebate??

No. Maybe you’re thinking of the first time home buyers credit that expired like 6 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

pricing wasn't the issue for rivian it's if they can produce in quantities required.

They're basically owned by Amazon at this point, Bezos is a huge loving nerd who pumped billions of dollars into a flailing startup rocket company to achieve his nerd dreams (which also suffers from production issues). He recently bought and remodeled a stadium and named it "Climate Pledge Arena" he wants an EV company, and he wants it to be successful, and he'll pump money into Rivian for literally ever to make that happen.

Or maybe I'm just mad because I haven't been driving my soothing, quiet, efficient and emissions free Nissan Leaf in a week.