Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

33) The Wizard Sniffer

Another text adventure. Despite the name, this one was pretty good lol. Very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maneater

This is like a 6.5/10 that should have been a 2/10, and that makes me respect it. It's an open world game that doesn't waste too much time with Ubisoft shenanigans, the Chris Parnell narration is actually pretty funny, the underwater environments and combat are cool and fairly satisfying for a while, and the upgrades feel pretty good at first.

It's held back a lot by combat with humans in boats that never really becomes interesting. By the end it felt like the "real game" might be locked behind the paid DLC but I wasn't convinced it would be interesting enough. Great game pass game, I'm just glad for there to be these stupid experiments that actually try to distinguish themselves a bit and have writing that's surprisingly not completely embarrassing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gun Mute

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Me too. 18 of 20 points, "a renegade lawman with a fistful of bullets and a friendly demeanour."

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

35) Marvel's Avengers

Could have been great with less Games as a Service design. Took me a while to get used to the different looks and voices for the characters compared to the movies, but I warmed up to them in the end.

She-hulk would have been cool

36) Sonic Forces

I think this is the first Sonic game I've ever beaten. Very cheesy but still fun

Vadun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 4, 2022

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

AI: The Somnium Files
AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative

Ended up playing these in reverse order which was actually nice since you don't get any major spoilers about the first game from the second and the first game was the stronger of the two IMO. The first game is a really tight murder mystery where the events diverge pretty rapidly from the start depending on which route you take. Once a certain possibility in the game world is revealed to you, these discrepancies start to make sense and the whole thing comes together in a very satisfying way. The second is also a murder mystery but it's much more reminiscent of Zero Escape, using meta-narrative structure in a way the first game largely doesn't. Lots of characters from the first game show up in the second although it felt more like a victory lap instead of a chance to do much more character development, although not wanting to spoil people like me who play the games out of order puts a serious limit on just how much you can reasonably carry over without doing that.

Overall they were very good. A return to form for Uchikoshi after Zero Time Dilemma (a fun game but with a wildly incoherent storyline) that proves he can still make tight and compelling VNs without getting too far into the weeds of meta-structural gimmicks.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Wonderful 101: Remastered: Prince Vorkken mode, normal, 93 wonderful ones, 52 bottle caps.
game still kicks rear end and has the best end boss of all time. finally figured out how to use the monster unites, they attack in the direction prince vorkken is facing. not as useful as regular team unites, like they are completely useless for juggling, but they do a lot of damage if you manage to catch an enemy. having the boomerang from the start owns. like all the greatest games, it thanks you for playing after the credits roll

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

remembered I hacked my 3ds now that metal gear july is over

34) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Great loving game. I'm sure these were 3d models that they animated then turned into sprites but the game looks amazing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Goongrats. Ghost trick is one of my all time favorites and is one ive been thinking about proposing for the iz game club if i were to win

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

missile ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ghost trick is so fuckin good. need to replay it

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

14. Baroque (PS1)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy
5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)
7. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

8. Live A Live (2022 Remake)
Exceptionally good game. It's easy to see why this is such a beloved classic. This is a JRPG short story anthology where the disconnected nature of the seven main characters' stories lets the designers do wildly different things with each of their chapters. Even though they're all built around the same core gameplay, they still manage to explore different story genres through their gameplay gimmicks and quirks, and it's really fun. It all comes together for a really cool ending, too.

Strongly recommend if you like JRPGs at all. This is a pretty special one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

remembered I hacked my 3ds now that metal gear july is over

34) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Great loving game. I'm sure these were 3d models that they animated then turned into sprites but the game looks amazing.

:cheers:

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1CC) - QSound bass sounds sick on MiSTer

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
25. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Sith Warrior, Light Side Ending)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mamkute posted:

25. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Sith Warrior, Light Side Ending)

balance has returned

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

ridge racer revolution. got the credits and unlocked the mirror courses. i’ll probably keep at them, but this felt like beating it.

these psx ridge racers are incredible. the courses are great, the music rules and all the cars are different enough to have serious trade offs. i got a negcon between playing the first and second one which was the perfect move. i don’t know if it makes them much easier, but it makes playing them way more thrilling. i would use this controller on every racing game if i could. there should be way more games like ridge racer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

ridge racer revolution. got the credits and unlocked the mirror courses. i’ll probably keep at them, but this felt like beating it.

these psx ridge racers are incredible. the courses are great, the music rules and all the cars are different enough to have serious trade offs. i got a negcon between playing the first and second one which was the perfect move. i don’t know if it makes them much easier, but it makes playing them way more thrilling. i would use this controller on every racing game if i could. there should be way more games like ridge racer

Ridge Racer ftw. Might have to boot up R4 later

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

37) Far Cry 4

I think after I finish Maneater I'm done with Open World games for the year. This one really wore out its welcome

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Spoderman posted:

Rage raxer and r4 are epic. Hell so are 1 and 2 even tho I dont think i ever played 1

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy
5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)
7. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
8. Live A Live (2022 Remake)

9. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade + INTERmission
This is a replay of Final Fantasy VII Remake and my first time playing the INTERmission DLC. FF7R was my personal game of the year in 2020, and turns out, I still love it. It's just a really fun game that does a fantastic job capturing Final Fantasy VII while also adding some new spice (and maybe something kinda dumb at the end but we'll see how that all shakes out). I still haven't played Hard mode but I think I'll give that a try next.

The DLC, meanwhile, had some really cool gameplay ideas that I hope to see come back in some form in Rebirth. The Synergy system between Yuffie and Sonon was really fun to play around with especially and there are a bunch of ways something like that could become part of the main battle system in the next one. Story-wise I'm less sold on it--it incorporates some really dumb things from Dirge of Cerberus and mostly seems to exist to give Yuffie a dark past, but again, this might all build to something better in the long run. Either way it's definitely worth a play if you have the game on PS5 or PC.

Anyway now I finally have time to start on Xenoblade 3.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

Rage raxer and r4 are epic. Hell so are 1 and 2 even tho I dont think i ever played 1

It’s Ridge Racer! Riiiiidge Racer!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I should replay Ridge Racer 1 sometime. I haven’t seen or thought about it in 25 years but it was one of the few PlayStation games we had as a kid so I played it a ton and I bet there’s tons of nostalgia waiting to be unlocked.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i tried r4 last year and i played one race thought it was ok then forgot about it. maybe i could try finishing it. cool focus on aesthetics though

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s Ridge Racer! Riiiiidge Racer!

:hai:

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Hitman Trilogy - At least 2 playthroughs of all missions on Professional, 1 run through on Master, 1 run of getting Sniper Assassin on each mission, 1 run getting SASO on each mission. All 20 elusive target arcade missions done as well. Total playtime: 166 hours

This will probably be the best stealth game for quite so time. It was so much fun learning the maps and discovering the little story lines contained within, and the variety of the locations keeps things fresh. I really enjoyed playing on master difficulty where you have to live with your mistakes and the tension builds as you deal with gunfights or running away to try to get a new outfit to get people off your tail. The amount of things you unlock to take into missions adds a lot of different playstyles and tactics you can consider before jumping in the games various game modes. I did like my challenge runs getting the Sniper, Suit Only, and SASO where not only do you have to rethink your load out but you really learn how many different paths there are on the maps to finish your objective. I was constantly surprised on my SASO run where I never felt locked out of finishing the mission, no point where I thought I was totally hosed and had to restart. The elusive target arcade is a fun addition to the game too, and my favorite ones where were you go in with no equipment and you have to find stuff in the field to help take out your target, sorta metal gear solid style.

I'm excited for IOIs bond game now more than ever. If it becomes just a reskin of Hitman's core gameplay loop I'd have no problem with that. Their level design is top notch and all I want are fresh maps to explore and pick apart, and I believe it'll be worth the wait.

Summer of Hitman - Complete :fyadride:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Nutmeg posted:

Hitman Trilogy - At least 2 playthroughs of all missions on Professional, 1 run through on Master, 1 run of getting Sniper Assassin on each mission, 1 run getting SASO on each mission. All 20 elusive target arcade missions done as well. Total playtime: 166 hours

This will probably be the best stealth game for quite so time. It was so much fun learning the maps and discovering the little story lines contained within, and the variety of the locations keeps things fresh. I really enjoyed playing on master difficulty where you have to live with your mistakes and the tension builds as you deal with gunfights or running away to try to get a new outfit to get people off your tail. The amount of things you unlock to take into missions adds a lot of different playstyles and tactics you can consider before jumping in the games various game modes. I did like my challenge runs getting the Sniper, Suit Only, and SASO where not only do you have to rethink your load out but you really learn how many different paths there are on the maps to finish your objective. I was constantly surprised on my SASO run where I never felt locked out of finishing the mission, no point where I thought I was totally hosed and had to restart. The elusive target arcade is a fun addition to the game too, and my favorite ones where were you go in with no equipment and you have to find stuff in the field to help take out your target, sorta metal gear solid style.

I'm excited for IOIs bond game now more than ever. If it becomes just a reskin of Hitman's core gameplay loop I'd have no problem with that. Their level design is top notch and all I want are fresh maps to explore and pick apart, and I believe it'll be worth the wait.

Summer of Hitman - Complete :fyadride:

:cheers:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

63) Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

18. Doom 3 (UV). Whack rear end game, but the last third when you had the full weapon roster and you got to fight more than 2 enemies at once got pretty fun. Shame 90% of the rooms and hallways look identical. i like the soul cube, would be fun if there was a doom II mod to include it and design levels w/o health packs.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
25+ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Dark Side Ending)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

38) Mass Effect 3

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Wonderful 101: Remastered - hard, 108 wonderful ones, 86 bottlecaps
Good hard mode thgat mixes up enemies, not just giving them more health/damage. I never really understood the hatred for Platinumgames' gimmick levels until playing through this on hard and getting thoroughly owned on the flying through space levels because every obstacle is an instant kill. you also get a different win screen on hard mode. on to 101% hard now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
wonderful 101 is a god tier game

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Speaking of w101 any imps wanna play bayo 2 tag climax on switch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Castlevania Chronicles (Arrange Mode) - this game is cool.