Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Clover Food Lab in MA did pretty good pour over before COVID if you happened to frequent one of their locations

no clue about now, but I imagine they still do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a couple of times this summer I've bought some beans from places I haven't tried before, and the beans ends up... idk how else to put it, shedding skin (like dark grey/brown pieces) when I throw then in the hopper, and it seems moreso than from shops I know are very well renowned. is this an indication of poorer quality roast, or just something that can happen regardless with a batch now and again? (the beans did not have the same origin in these two instances)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Light roasts don’t always totally remove the silverskin but it doesn’t affect anything and it’s not indicative of quality

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think some of the natural processes also produce more shedding. Nothing to worry about though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
To be clear, silverskin isn't a byproduct of any process, it's a natural layer between the bean and the pulp. It separates from the bean as the bean expands during roasting and becomes chaff, which is collected and removed by the roaster. Lighter roasts aren't cooked long enough for the silverskin to totally separate, so you will see fragments of it clinging to the beans before grinding or floating around afterwards. I don't think it has anything to do with the process except that natural process coffees might be more likely to get a lighter roast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honeys and naturals definitely produce more chaff regardless of roast level, some silverskin gets removed in washed processes (not sure if just from mechanical agitation or from the fermentation itself or both) that doesn't get removed otherwise

but yeah it really doesn't matter when it comes to buying roasted coffee, just a thing to be vaguely aware of when you are roasting it

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 1, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Son just shattered my fancy rear end vacuum storage cannister - I have no idea where I got it years ago. What's the new hotness for storage of open bags these days?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i really like the fellow atmos, if you want another vacuum jar. it comes in painted stainless steel or glass

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Son just shattered my fancy rear end vacuum storage cannister - I have no idea where I got it years ago. What's the new hotness for storage of open bags these days?

Airscape is the best these days. You want something that cuts down on headspace above the beans. Airscape does that. The Fellow Atmos does not.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll second the Airscape. I've had mine for quite a few years now and it's worked great the whole time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Spiggy posted:

I'll second the Airscape. I've had mine for quite a few years now and it's worked great the whole time.

Is there a particular "good" place to buy an airscape or two from, or are the prices pretty fixed?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I got it as a Christmas gift, but browsing for a bit they seem pretty fixed price wise. The 5"x7" comfortably fits a pound regardless of the roast level.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Coffee Vac is a good value option that Hoffman liked

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Apparently AeroPress has their own official metal filter now. Looks like it's so new there aren't even any reviews that I can find yet. Anybody have a chance to try one? I've already got a metal one made by Able but I'm curious how the official one would stack up

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I am still very frustrated with my Vario W and the amount of fines in my pour over grind. I tried "hyper aligning" the burrs but it didn't seem like it accomplished anything or I didn't do it right. I'm certainly not getting the amazing, bright, sweet, citrusy (and whatever other adjectives these coffee nerds use) flavors people describe after doing it. So I either did it wrong, I have a bad sense of taste or something else is going on.

Anyone else manage to "hyper align" their Vario or similar baratza flat burr grinder?

404notfound posted:

Apparently AeroPress has their own official metal filter now. Looks like it's so new there aren't even any reviews that I can find yet. Anybody have a chance to try one? I've already got a metal one made by Able but I'm curious how the official one would stack up

It seems like it would easily clog up and then be hard to clear. No?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

404notfound posted:

I doubt it's even a perceptible difference from other generic metal aeropress filters. At least, I couldn't tell the difference between one random one I bought and the one that comes with the Prismo.

MetaJew posted:

I'm certainly not getting the amazing, bright, sweet, citrusy (and whatever other adjectives these coffee nerds use) flavors people describe after doing it. So I either did it wrong, I have a bad sense of taste or something else is going on.

Is the coffee you're using amazing, bright, sweet, and citrusy? Always tricky figuring out why you're not getting what other people are saying and it could just be less than spectacular beans.

But also you may just be overestimating how much any tweak like that can improve cup quality. There's nothing wrong with the Vario, I would just be very surprised if doing something like that ever took any cup from Good to Amazing

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 9, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You could always try the paper towel method of removing fines. If you can taste an important difference after doing that, it may be worth fussing with / upgrading your grinder. If not, maybe another bean!

https://www.home-barista.com/brewing/filter-fines-with-paper-towel-t50159.html

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

eke out posted:

Is the coffee you're using amazing, bright, sweet, and citrusy? Always tricky figuring out why you're not getting what other people are saying and it could just be less than spectacular beans.

But also you may just be overestimating how much any tweak like that can improve cup quality. There's nothing wrong with the Vario, I would just be very surprised if doing something like that ever took any cup from Good to Amazing

I don't know. I've been trying various single origin beans from various roasters. Some have a little more interesting flavors, than others-- from Brandywine, Proud Mary, Merit, and several others.

I feel like the most unique bean I've had was a pretty inexpensive geisha I got from Brandywine, but every geisha I've seen from them recently has been substantially more expensive and not worth it.

This is from my factory refurbished Vario W with steel burrs that I've had for 2+ years now. This is after I tried the hyper aligning process, with the grind setting at 4L, I think. I was washing my countertop compost bin out so these grounds were left to dry out in the V60 overnight.

This is with a 20g of coffee and 300g of water. I'll bloom with ~40g of water, stir it and make sure everything gets saturated, wait 45ish seconds, and then slowly pour in the remainder of the water over the next maybe 45 seconds, maybe longer. I don't pay too close attention. Either way, I'll do a gentle swirl to flatten the bed and then let it draw down. It will have finished somewhere around 3 minutes.

You can see that this maybe 1-2 mm thick layer of fines forms at the top and along the sides of the cone. You can see when I disturb the grounds that the size of the grounds underneath are coarser.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I have a Melitta plastic cone, a hario drip pot, and a chemex 8 or 10 cup. Do I need a Kalita Wave or v60? And matching glass server, of course...

Some day I'll get a great grinder, too (I have a capresso infinity).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I have a Melitta plastic cone, a hario drip pot, and a chemex 8 or 10 cup. Do I need a Kalita Wave or v60? And matching glass server, of course...

V60s come in cool limited edition colors on occasion, maybe you want a few of those? :shrug:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I’d imagine putting that cash away towards a great grinder would have a much bigger impact

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I feel like the Kalita Wave with its flat bottom is slightly less fussy than the V60, but you have to watch out for certain models that might cause more stalling: https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wave-dripper-experiment-review/

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

404notfound posted:

I feel like the Kalita Wave with its flat bottom is slightly less fussy than the V60, but you have to watch out for certain models that might cause more stalling: https://coffeechronicler.com/kalita-wave-dripper-experiment-review/

Ooo, thanks for that link. I almost bought the worse stainless wave at the coffee shop today. I don't need any of em, but I just like trying different models. Someday I'll have a bunch of different styles.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’d imagine putting that cash away towards a great grinder would have a much bigger impact

It's not a cash issue, I just don't know what I want. Before I spend hundreds on a new grinder I'll spend a few hundred less on a few good pour over rigs.

Ok Comboomer posted:

V60s come in cool limited edition colors on occasion, maybe you want a few of those? :shrug:

How cool of colors are we talking here?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

El Jebus posted:

How cool of colors are we talking here?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I like that darker blue model.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I don't know. I've been trying various single origin beans from various roasters. Some have a little more interesting flavors, than others-- from Brandywine, Proud Mary, Merit, and several others.

I feel like the most unique bean I've had was a pretty inexpensive geisha I got from Brandywine, but every geisha I've seen from them recently has been substantially more expensive and not worth it.

This is from my factory refurbished Vario W with steel burrs that I've had for 2+ years now. This is after I tried the hyper aligning process, with the grind setting at 4L, I think. I was washing my countertop compost bin out so these grounds were left to dry out in the V60 overnight.

This is with a 20g of coffee and 300g of water. I'll bloom with ~40g of water, stir it and make sure everything gets saturated, wait 45ish seconds, and then slowly pour in the remainder of the water over the next maybe 45 seconds, maybe longer. I don't pay too close attention. Either way, I'll do a gentle swirl to flatten the bed and then let it draw down. It will have finished somewhere around 3 minutes.

You can see that this maybe 1-2 mm thick layer of fines forms at the top and along the sides of the cone. You can see when I disturb the grounds that the size of the grounds underneath are coarser.

It's possible your grinder is out of alignment or otherwise borked but I would start off just trying a coarser grind before doing anything more invested. Mine is also steel flat burrs and I target 2:15-2:30 for v60s, longer than that tends to come out astringent and overextracted. That's at 30g:500ml with the boxed hario papers, but I've previously used the crinkly plastic bag papers and the result is the same. If I aim for 3 I get a similar muddy appearance to what you have there on the top of the bed; 2:30ish looks proper, which is to say the top of the bed looks like coffee grounds.

El Jebus posted:

It's not a cash issue, I just don't know what I want. Before I spend hundreds on a new grinder I'll spend a few hundred less on a few good pour over rigs.

The plastic v60 with a pack of filters is so cheap that there's no downside to trying it out. I've spent more on some cups of coffee than I did on the v60. That said a great grinder really does make such an incredible difference, and you can't go wrong with the niche. I want one just to try different espresso styles.

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
It's definitely worth getting a plastic v60. I think I've brewed cups of coffee in it that cost more than it.
Has anyone tried the mugen? Is it different enough to be worth getting.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I normally do espresso, but going to buy v60 paper to try the under - puck filter method. Should I get white or "natural"? I will resurrect my pourover rig too why not.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

White and remember to pre wet the filter with hot water

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The plastic V60 that I use now is way more practical to use compared to the glass V60 that I was originally using. Not only is it cheaper, it also doesn’t retain/absorb heat as easily so much easier to work with.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mes posted:

The plastic V60 that I use now is way more practical to use compared to the glass V60 that I was originally using. Not only is it cheaper, it also doesn’t retain/absorb heat as easily so much easier to work with.

Another one for the plastic, it's excellent.

This wonderful set comes with a glass carafe, 100 filters, and a useless scoop.

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Craft-...aps%2C60&sr=8-3

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Google Butt posted:

White and remember to pre wet the filter with hot water

If you're talking about a circle of filter paper at the bottom of the portafilter, you don't really need to wet it and I find doing so makes makes puck prep a bit more challenging. I use white chemex papers which results in notably [i]faster[i/] flow, on the decent, than the portafilter alone. I've never tried hario papers but I'm interested to hear how they work for you since they're so much thinner than the chemex. I don't think you would notice a difference between white and natural paper, especially with hario papers since you'd have less than 0.1 gram of paper in there. Like theoretically there could be some difference in flow but I think they'd work interchangeably.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

If you're talking about a circle of filter paper at the bottom of the portafilter, you don't really need to wet it and I find doing so makes makes puck prep a bit more challenging. I use white chemex papers which results in notably [i]faster[i/] flow, on the decent, than the portafilter alone. I've never tried hario papers but I'm interested to hear how they work for you since they're so much thinner than the chemex. I don't think you would notice a difference between white and natural paper, especially with hario papers since you'd have less than 0.1 gram of paper in there. Like theoretically there could be some difference in flow but I think they'd work interchangeably.

Hoffman did a video on this recently, and also recommended against wetting the paper because it could gently caress with the puck.

Considering the point of the paper is to filter out a little more solids/fines, and to get the bottom of the puck wetter consistently, I imagine the thinner papers shouldn't change much other than needs to adjust grind less.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh yeah I don't know anything about the puck filter method, sorry. My advice was just for regular rear end pour over. Brown filters taste like a sandwich bag to me, though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well the decision was made for me, my local café gave me a large chemex paper (they pronounced the ch like cheese not like chemical) that I'm using to test, and I got about 30 out of it. It's unbleached so I'll give it a shot!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ugh unbleached chemex are the worst. Might as well use a brown paper bag.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Has anyone replaced the lower burr in their baratza grinder before?

I have had a virtuoso for nearly 8 years. It’s always been loud and I figured it was time to replace the lower burr since I use it for about 200g of coffee about twice a week.

I just replaced them and it’s so much quieter than before. The baratza requires you to basically take apart the entire grinder so I cleaned out the random coffee I found in ever nook but holy poo poo. So much quieter.

The burrs also touch around setting 8 which I wasn’t used to previously but I’m guessing the seasoning will adjust that a touch.

Very happy to spend $50 on new burrs instead of $300 for a new grinder though.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

nwin posted:

Has anyone replaced the lower burr in their baratza grinder before?

I have had a virtuoso for nearly 8 years. It’s always been loud and I figured it was time to replace the lower burr since I use it for about 200g of coffee about twice a week.

I just replaced them and it’s so much quieter than before. The baratza requires you to basically take apart the entire grinder so I cleaned out the random coffee I found in ever nook but holy poo poo. So much quieter.

The burrs also touch around setting 8 which I wasn’t used to previously but I’m guessing the seasoning will adjust that a touch.

Very happy to spend $50 on new burrs instead of $300 for a new grinder though.

I recently replaced the burrs on an old virtuoso and it sounds about the same but the recommended shim assembly definitely had things too tight. Had to trial and error a few times to get it in the right range.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sugar free jazz posted:

I recently replaced the burrs on an old virtuoso and it sounds about the same but the recommended shim assembly definitely had things too tight. Had to trial and error a few times to get it in the right range.

Same with the shims. When I bought a slightly used Preciso, they had the shims set where the finest grind was like for drip. What.....I got them too tight now, but I have only one aim in mind with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sugar free jazz posted:

What shim assembly are you talking about? If I just replaced the burrs I shouldn’t have to do any of that, right? The instructions didn’t mention it at least.

Edit: oh just the washers…I guess I don’t see a reason to add or subtract any.