Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SuperKlaus posted:

What player count and style? I've loved it at 8 freeform but turn based I think it should be played at 6 - too little for First Mate to do in methodical play.

A few games of 8 player turn based. The First Mate seemed pretty useful, but we were all pretty new, so I can't say for sure how it would go for them over time. I can't even imagine how freeform will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Captain Sonar real-time is so good with 6 to 8 players (assuming folks are into it). It's just the right amount of stressful chaos.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've got Cat in the Box coming in the mail soon!

Maybe!

Possibly!!

The tracking number exists and the order says it is ready to be shipped but also the postal system is fucky soooo

I may or may not have Cat in the Box coming in the mail soon!

Which is oddly appropriate given that game's whole schtick. Granted, it's not the only game coming in the mail whose current delivery tracking info is effectively "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am sorry but right now I am not sure how to reply to this - other than to ask you to direct your anger towards me. Explain to me what the issues and problems are. I am around here and my pms are open and I am contactable via email for all manner of conversations if you wish.

From what I have read, Antivehicular's original post is what worried people about there being sexism in a statement she used, but Antivehicular is a woman and those are her words.

Going back from the months before Mayveena was made IK until now I have looked over the Trad Games team thread and there is lots and lots of discussions with Mayveena and help being given to her. Leperflesh and Antivehicular did not immediately capitulate to anyone. There were many discussions and PMs with them offering help and wanting Mayveena to do well. Sometimes great posters do not really know how to translate that to other roles. IKing is the lowest of low stakes and it should not cause such difficultly and paralysis in making decisions. There is no shame in deciding it does not work, and also there is no shame if others see that is it not making one as happy as they could be.

Yes, this thread should have been informed that it no longer had an IK, but Leperflesh wanted Mayveena to say so and not speak for her, which I understand.

I do not want to speak for Mayveena. This would be unfair to her agency as a person. Nor do I want to presume what Leperflesh or Anitvehicular have in their minds, and most certainly not your own. You clearly care about this thread and were enjoying it, and if something is preventing this then it needs to be dealt with. This goes for all posters here.

From my outside perspective there is friction due to unresolved issues and I would like to help resolve them. It might be something simple, it might be something complex, but if we can fix it then it is worth it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Cool. What are some hot games to watch out for?

We don't know yet. The BGG preview is constantly being updated and there's a tracker app available through the forum that lets you flag your interests. DukeOfEarl will also put up his maps a couple of weeks before; get them. There's far too much to see without a plan.

I recommend finding something small and cheap by AEG that you want to buy as well. They give everyone who buys from them a free bag to carry their purchases in, and it's about the size of a suitcase.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

VideoGames posted:

From my outside perspective there is friction due to unresolved issues and I would like to help resolve them. It might be something simple, it might be something complex, but if we can fix it then it is worth it.

Next time a segment of seasoned thread posters highlight other poster(s) in the thread acting in bad faith and making GBS threads the place up, crying out for basic moderation, you can just provide it instead of sending in a conscientious newbie with 6 hour ban privilege. Good fix.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dishwasherlove posted:

Next time a segment of seasoned thread posters highlight other poster(s) in the thread acting in bad faith and making GBS threads the place up, crying out for basic moderation, you can just provide it instead of sending in a conscientious newbie with 6 hour ban privilege. Good fix.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

with my old posting nemesis defeated i can finally come back to the thread and be rude to the op once again...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

with my old posting nemesis defeated i can finally come back to the thread and be rude to the op once again...

Do not use this thread to do this at all. This is the only warning.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I tried out penny papers temple something or other, a roll and write that we had picked up sometime.

I'm just coming down firmly on r&w not triggering the "decisions, game" feeling that things I like do. It's all just write a number down, maybe it'll work out based on future rolls, maybe it won't, someone wins. Bleh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I'm just coming down firmly on r&w not triggering the "decisions, game" feeling that things I like do. It's all just write a number down, maybe it'll work out based on future rolls, maybe it won't, someone wins. Bleh.

The Ganz Schoen Clever series is the only roll and write that has done that for me. The others I've played (Cartographers, On Tour, Welcome To..., Guild of Mercenary Explorers, Lost Cities, several others I am forgetting) have felt ... well I don't see why other people are raving about them. Or even especially liking them.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I've enjoyed the Ganz series and Cartographers, but the rest I've played have kind of underwhelmed me. I think it's a deceptively difficult game mechanic to get right.

I'm very hype for Twilight Inscription though!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I honestly enjoyed the pinball roll and write much more than I expected (the name escapes me at the moment), but it's fundamentally a pretty light, fluffy game. There's more decision space than a lot of r&ws though, and I guess in a way the best thing I can say about it is that I kind of forgot it was a roll and write, if that makes sense.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I honestly enjoyed the pinball roll and write much more than I expected (the name escapes me at the moment), but it's fundamentally a pretty light, fluffy game. There's more decision space than a lot of r&ws though, and I guess in a way the best thing I can say about it is that I kind of forgot it was a roll and write, if that makes sense.

That's Super Skill Pinball 4-Cade.

I feel like what makes SSP4C work so well is that there are a basic set of rules that are easy to understand and then each table applies those rules with some additional smaller rules that exist for the purpose of shaking things up. As a result, you end up with an experience not dissimilar to real pinball where the tables all follow the same basic rules of play but each table has its own tricks and skills to learn. It being a 4-in-1 title means you've got 4 different tables to learn the intricacies of and how to apply or adapt your style of play to each one's scoring gimmicks. It's also an incredibly easy game to get into since the creator has made a couple of print and play versions available online for free.

I' only have the first one (4-Cade) but the other sets look interesting too. IIRC the other sets are standalone titles that don't require the original box to play. Additionally there is at least 1 print and play exclusive table available online for free. I'm hoping to pick up the Ramp It Up set at some point.

and also, much like real pinball, the format lends itself incredibly well to licensed products.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

dishwasherlove posted:

This is really the core issue. Many regular posters of this thread and previous incarnations lost any faith in effective moderation occurring here because of the regular threadshitters and then the hyper defensive mod responses. I think I’ve barely looked at this thread since the last back and forth.

I don’t really have an opinion about the current drama other than to say the knee jerk defensive response to it is representative of the modding this thread receives. Just poor excuses and no addressing core problems. And often actively making things worse.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A friend just moved to another city and gave us his copy of Gloomhaven, the Forgotten Circles expansion and a fancy laser-cut insert rather than move them. If we ever work up the courage (and find the space) to start playing, what do we need to do to restart the game? Looks like he used about half the map stickers in his group's playthrough, I have no idea about the rest but most of the little boxes look like they haven't been opened.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

big scary monsters posted:

A friend just moved to another city and gave us his copy of Gloomhaven, the Forgotten Circles expansion and a fancy laser-cut insert rather than move them. If we ever work up the courage (and find the space) to start playing, what do we need to do to restart the game? Looks like he used about half the map stickers in his group's playthrough, I have no idea about the rest but most of the little boxes look like they haven't been opened.

Just start in the rulebook as if it was new, it’ll tell you what to open and how to set it up.

There’s also a campaign tracker app you can use to mark locations and map poo poo instead of the stickers

e: this thing https://gloomhaven-storyline.com/tracker/#/story

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

You can get a replacement sticker set:
Gloomhaven: https://www.amazon.com/Sinister-Fish-SIF00020-Gloomhaven-Removable/dp/B071VQT6F7
Forgotten Circles: https://www.amazon.com/Cephalofair-Games-Gloomhaven-Sticker-Set/dp/B07PPQWRV7

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

If the previous owner has already opened some of the new character classes and you want to reset to "vanilla", the starting classes are:

- Brute
- Cragheart
- Mindthief
- Scoundrel
- Spellweaver
- Tinkerer

Other classes will be unlocked by completing a character's personal quest or hitting specific reputation milestones. Until then, leave their boxes sealed (or tape them up, or ignore them... whatever works for you).

There are two types of stickers:

One type simply tracks your progress on the map board. There are campaign tracker apps that will handle this for you. Some players don't use the stickers at all.

The other sticker type is added to your character ability cards after a certain point in the game. You can try to peel them off the individual cards, but I'd recommend simply ignoring them until you unlock those stickers in your own campaign playthrough. By that point, you'll have played enough to get an idea of how your group wants to deal with those stickers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2914396/announcement-classic-beta-geekmarket-shutting-down

Welp

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the Gloomhaven reset advice! The tracker website looks handy too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You should also check that the event and item decks are in order (and that the blue items are separated out from the brown ones).

Aside from the stickers it's an easy game to reset unless someone has gone out of their way to mess things up or the box got dropped down some stairs.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You should also check that the event and item decks are in order (and that the blue items are separated out from the brown ones).

Aside from the stickers it's an easy game to reset unless someone has gone out of their way to mess things up or the box got dropped down some stairs.
The city and road event decks can get kind of weird too, since you add cards to them over time, and you also remove certain cards after they're encountered. Fortunately it doesn't tell you to destroy the cards.

Doing that for the first time playing Pandemic Legacy felt so strange, after a lifetime of meticulously caring for my board games. We actually brought the paper shredder into the room and solemnly fed the cards into it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My group would make a little precursor rip in the middle of each edge of the card, and then each player would grip a corner and pull

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was exposed to MetaZoo last night and I do not know how or when I will heal from the psychic trauma of learning it is a game being published right now and not an also-ran from 1995.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rockman Reserve posted:

I was exposed to MetaZoo last night and I do not know how or when I will heal from the psychic trauma of learning it is a game being published right now and not an also-ran from 1995.

These cards have a copyright date of 2021.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

please note the rules that trigger off of an american flag being within eyesight and being within 5 miles of a forest

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - seeing as I've been out of the loop the last couple of years, are there any recommendations for 5p games that aren't too heavy (at least, for everyone. I don't mind reading up on it first, to take the brunt off the other players) that can be played in an afternoon? Since I've got a group of five I've been playing with now and again, and up until now we've been playing BSG, Fury of Dracula and Dune (2019?).

All are great, but we've played them a bunch at this point, so I'm looking at potentially getting something new, for us to branch out into. FoD was probably the favourite, but we had fun with all of them

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hansa Teutonica is my go-to.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - seeing as I've been out of the loop the last couple of years, are there any recommendations for 5p games that aren't too heavy (at least, for everyone. I don't mind reading up on it first, to take the brunt off the other players) that can be played in an afternoon? Since I've got a group of five I've been playing with now and again, and up until now we've been playing BSG, Fury of Dracula and Dune (2019?).

All are great, but we've played them a bunch at this point, so I'm looking at potentially getting something new, for us to branch out into. FoD was probably the favourite, but we had fun with all of them

Cryptid is much shorter than those games but is also fantastic at 5, and I'll never not recommend it at that player count. If you're looking for something heavier, you could check out the "new" BSG, Unfathomable - personally I'd be really interested to hear what a seasoned BSG group thinks of it, because a lot of people (myself included) feel like the game as presented is slanted a bit too hard against the Human crew for the traitors to really need to do much traitory stuff at all. But that's probably easily fixed by starting the four critical resource tracks a single notch higher.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks you two - I'll give them a look! I'd forgotten about Unfathomable, too. I'll have to check with the group, since that could be a good option.

One other thing I forgot to mention though, is that ideally we'd play something with team/s (even if it's 1v4 like Fury of Dracula), since 1.5 members of the group don't have quite the same level of boardgaming powers as the rest of us, so "every player for themselves" games mightn't be so great for them. (Kinda circumvented in Dune, simply due to how political it can be, with impromptu alliances and whatnot)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

How about Between Two Cities/Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig? My gaming group refers to it as a Collaborative Game, I'm not sure if there's a hobby term that works better. It's got simple drafting and tile laying mechanisms, and the way you share your castles with your neighboring players but still have just one winner makes it a very social experience.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Major Isoor posted:

So the one problem is that it only works with teams at even numbers, but Concordia (Venus) is a fantastic, middleweight (3.01/5.00 IIRC) ranked #20 overall (again, IIRC) on boardgamegeek. Concordia is the base game, and Concordia Venus adds a few welcome extras to the game, including team rules. (Concordia Venus is purchasable as a set that has the base game plus extras or as just the extras as a supplement to the base game.) It's pretty close to a perfect middleweight game, lasting about 2 hours once everyone knows the rules, but has great replayability and, when you get bored with the game, expansion maps and an expansion set of rules (Concordia Salsa). It's deep enough that the pros won't get bored but not so deep the 'novices' won't be able to put in good showings.

One other idea that comes to mind -- I haven't played it but some of the meetup gamers I play with rave about it -- is Auztralia (sic), and there's an expansion that lets you play everyone else vs. one, like FoD. It's a Martin Wallace game IIRC, so probably a bit heavier, but thinking about FoD made me think of it and maybe someone who knows about it can comment on it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
OK so it looks like Cryptid is suddenly a very popular option among a couple of the group members, after I mentioned everyone's suggestions. So you were definitely onto something there, Rockman Reserve!
I'll keep looking into the options you've all given though, and relay them to the group - they're definitely some good picks, looks like! Thanks

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - seeing as I've been out of the loop the last couple of years, are there any recommendations for 5p games that aren't too heavy (at least, for everyone. I don't mind reading up on it first, to take the brunt off the other players) that can be played in an afternoon?

Aiming for BGG '3.0' ish weight (medium):
El Grande
Hansa Teutonica
Concordia
Bus

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Llyranor posted:

Aiming for BGG '3.0' ish weight (medium):
El Grande
Hansa Teutonica
Concordia
Bus

While Bus is maybe my favourite of those games it's probably the weakest at 5. These games are all crackers though, they are some of the finest designs ever printed.

Teams is hard though, I cannot think of a 5 player game that is good that is not 1vAll.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Teams is hard though, I cannot think of a 5 player game that is good that is not 1vAll.

Quartermaster General 1914 is the only one I can think of but it is a really solid 5-player team game that is not that complex.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kerro posted:

Quartermaster General 1914 is the only one I can think of but it is a really solid 5-player team game that is not that complex.

Oh yeah that's a great suggestion

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kerro posted:

Oh, interesting! That's a cool looking game - I'm not 100% on if it'll appeal to all members of the group yet, but it certainly looks great to me! Very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Would also recommend Navegador at 5, I think I like it more than Concordia nowadays though I never played with Venus.