Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is the 2003 tmnt show actually as cool as i remember it being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

Some seasons are weaker than others.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think it's up there with 2012 but it's pretty good. I really enjoyed its 'Turtles from the different eras meet' episode, even if they couldn't get the original voice actors like the Nick one could. (One admittedly already close at hand.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I assume the movie served as the series finale, how was the most recent TMNT show Rise overall?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

As I assume the movie served as the series finale, how was the most recent TMNT show Rise overall?

If nothing else watch some animation clips on youtube cause there's some real good poo poo there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

If nothing else watch some animation clips on youtube cause there's some real good poo poo there.

I assume the show itself is kind of hit or miss then (I heard they switched up the usual formula a bit at least)?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The series was cut short in the second season but the writers managed to squeeze out a good finale. The movie isn't a finale, it's more of one last chance to draw some absolutely sick action sequences and show just a little bit of blood.

I'm very fond of the series itself, but it definitely strays a little further from the usual formula. Eleven minute episodes, shameless anime references (finale stole as much Gurren Lagann as they could get away with) much sillier tone overall (one episode is spent trapped in an 80's movie makeover montage, they pick a fight with the Times Square Mascots, underground wrestling episode, etc) but I think it managed to get some good character bits in. I felt a few emotions.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Last time I tried Rise was incredibly hard to watch legally (though it would be funny appropriate if it was on a :filez: anime streaming site) - do you still have to buy the episodes individually on some service?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

Last time I tried Rise was incredibly hard to watch legally (though it would be funny appropriate if it was on a :filez: anime streaming site) - do you still have to buy the episodes individually on some service?

Both seasons and the movie are indeed available that way, no idea where to see it legally though

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm in Canada so it's just all up on Netflix

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Alright, let's watch another exciting(?) episode of The Loud House!

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 14A: Toads and Tiaras

Season 1, Episode 14B: Two Boys and a Baby
Written by Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboard by Jordan Koch
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: The family is planning a trip to Aunt Ruth's house which is always a nightmare because she's a disgusting person who inflicts her worst traits on everyone around her. Seeking to avoid the trip Lincoln offers to babysit Lily (the baby one) in place of his father who normally stays home with her. His mother agrees and then Clyde joins him soon afterwards because the episode needed somebody for Lincoln to talk to. Hijinks and way too much gross out humor ensue as the boys try their hand at feeding, diaper changes, and other baby related tasks ultimately culminating in them taking the wrong baby home from the park and having to race to swap them back. They succeed but as his parents return home from their trip they tell Lincoln that the baby they had the mixup with had chickenpox so he and Lily will need to quarantine with Aunt Ruth. He does so and it's miserable.

Thoughts: OK, so first off the entire premise of the show was pulled from the writer's rear end because I'm 97.43% sure I've seen Lincoln deal with baby related stuff before and he was perfectly fine at it up until now. That said, they at least kept Lincoln's relationship with Lily intact from previous episodes which was nice. One of the few elements of this show that I think it handles well consistently is the way that Lincoln seems to genuinely like spending time with his baby sister. His motivations for babysitting may have been cynical but that never extends to the babysitting job itself. He never blows off his responsibilities or gets mad at Lily for being a baby like you might see in another show. Hell, if anything, getting to spend time with Lily is itself one of the perks of the plan rather than it being a means to an end. It's a nice touch and I wanted to give credit where it's due.

...Too bad this relationship mostly exists to facilitate gross out humor and not much else.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. All that stuff I mentioned is basically background noise to the real focus of the show which is watching Lincoln get exposed to disgusting baby stuff over and over. Maybe kids like this sort of thing but for me I checked out around the time a diaper hit the ceiling fan (trust me, it's not as funny as it sounds). It's also a really mediocre episode in most other aspects as well with very little of the animation standing out aside from a couple good poses here and there with none of the non-poop related humor really working either. It's far from the worst episode of this show but I'd definitely put it in the bottom half.

Themes and morals: Okay say it with me guys: “Lincoln. Did. Nothing. Wrong”. Good, now cough and under your breath add “except for leaving the baby unsupervised at the park for like half an hour”.

Honestly I'm not sure if even the show understands what Lincoln needs to be punished for here. He was ~kind of~ two faced with his parents about his motivations for babysitting his sister but it was a trade off his parents were willing to make and he took the job seriously enough. I actually re-watched the end of the episode to see if I'd missed a closing speech where Lincoln tells the audience what he's learned but all you get is some grumbling along the lines of “so much for strategy” (a reference to him telling his sisters that his new babysitting job “wasn't luck but strategy”). So is it just bad to have plans now? I don't get it.

Also, Aunt Ruth sucks. She feeds the kids expired food and makes them rub her nasty feet. Imagine an uglier version of Aunt Gayle from Bob's Burgers with none of the charm or humanity that show is so good at bringing to it's characters. Lincoln was well within his rights here to try and weasel out of the trip and I actually think less of his parents for making their kids spend time with her. It's complete bullshit that Lincoln gets punished by being forced to spend a week with her. What, was the diaper hitting the ceiling fan not enough!?

Notable moment: The one funny part in this episode was Lincoln being unrepentantly smug about his plan as his family leaves for Aunt Ruth's. I dunno, I just got a kick out of it for some reason.

Final thoughts: Why does this show love to torture me with shots of people eating gross poo poo!? It's like it knows it's one of the few things I just can't watch on screen and it does it on purpose.

Final Rating: Eh

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 10, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

...Too bad this relationship mostly exists to facilitate gross out humor and not much else.

In cartoons, babies in general exist to facilitate gross out humor. The only ones I can think of that don't are Pebbles and Bam-Bam from the Flintstones and I'm pretty sure they're just there to make the couples more conventional families without actual talking kids with kid problems taking up screen time.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

continuing my rewatch of bleach and i'm making pretty good progress. i'm way further than i thought i'd be at this point, which is the hueco mundo arc (which, by the way, is this supposed to be where the series is supposed to start sucking? at least, temporarily?). i'm actually quite surprised that, in terms of filler, bleach isn't that bad. i mean, yes there's probably extraneous arcs like the Bount stuff, but i'm more specifically referring to the standard filler within the main arcs themselves. both naruto and latter seasons of one piece took FOREVER for characters to go from point A to point B. bleach could still cut a lot of fat, but again, it doesn't seem that bad at least thus far.

joebuddah posted:

For those who have Paramount+ , I just noticed Hey Dude and Salute your Shorts are streaming now.

I'm torn. I have great memories of those shows. Part me of wants to watch them.But at the same time I know they will not be as glorious as I remember.

holy poo poo, they actually got those shows up? figured they 1) long lost the original masters and 2) even if they didn't, they wouldn't think they were worth putting up

to address the second part of your post, i rewatched SYS like a year or two ago, and unsurprisingly, it was quite a different experience as a near 40 year old than when i was 9-12. back then i figured the kids in the show were much older, like 16-17. turns out at most they're like 13-14. sure seemed a lot mature when you're a little kid! budnick seemed like the coolest kid ever, but obviously not so much now.

as far as the actual content of the show, i think it holds up fairly well. i do think there are more episodes that are kind of meh than good ones, but it's...okay i guess.

FilthyImp posted:

Hey Dude sucked. SYS had Budnick. OP.

hey dude was a very ...odd show. there were things i liked about it, but it's the kind of show that i really don't know who the target audience was supposed to be. like, i don't think it's bad, but it's also not good or interesting either. i'd rate it as: aggressively boring

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Rise is good and you should watch it if you are interested.

A cool reimagining of the Turtles

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rise is good and you should watch it if you are interested.

A cool reimagining of the Turtles

Nice, though I’ve heard good things about the 2012 series so I’ll be checking that out first. Otherwise yeah, I might give Rise a shot afterwards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

In cartoons, babies in general exist to facilitate gross out humor. The only ones I can think of that don't are Pebbles and Bam-Bam from the Flintstones and I'm pretty sure they're just there to make the couples more conventional families without actual talking kids with kid problems taking up screen time.

It's not like there's really a lot you can do with babies otherwise without taking liberties to make them more like the older kids. Also, pretty sure it's meant to be identifiable for kids with baby siblings who are mostly burping pooping puking little mess machines.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Interweb posted:

i don't think it's bad, but it's also not good or interesting either. i'd rate it as: aggressively boring
That's true.

The most I remember about Hey Dude was a girl named Melody, being thankful it wasn't Welcome Freshmen, and the taste of Cheetos and Tuna Fish Sandwich as I ate and waited for the next show to start.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Literally the only thing I remember about Hey Dude is the opening theme which I can still recite from memory despite not having heard it in over 20 years.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Hey Dude showing up was the sign to change the channel for me as a kid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Hey Dude showing up was the sign to change the channel for me as a kid.

Same. I remember as a kid going "wait this isn't a cartoon OR a game show! gently caress this."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TwoPair posted:

Same. I remember as a kid going "wait this isn't a cartoon OR a game show! gently caress this."

This was my general rule for tv watching.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

FilthyImp posted:

That's true.

The most I remember about Hey Dude was a girl named Melody, being thankful it wasn't Welcome Freshmen, and the taste of Cheetos and Tuna Fish Sandwich as I ate and waited for the next show to start.

Hey I used to think I liked Welcome Freshmen! Never got it, because no one gave a poo poo about being Freshmen when I finally got to Jr High.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rudoku posted:

Hey I used to think I liked Welcome Freshmen! Never got it, because no one gave a poo poo about being Freshmen when I finally got to Jr High.

My school did, actually, have a hazing ritual where they hit the freshmen with water balloons on a certain day on the first week of school. Some upperclassmen used eggs.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay took the plunge and got paramount+ and let me give a quick review so far:

- absolutely godawful and glitchy interface.
- terrible number of ads they show (i get like FIVE between each ad break)
- several episodes of salute your shorts are missing (though this might not be P+'s fault necessarily)

ignoring content quality for the moment, it is so far, the worst streaming service i've encountered thus far

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

- several episodes of salute your shorts are missing (though this might not be P+'s fault necessarily)

ignoring content quality for the moment, it is so far, the worst streaming service i've encountered thus far

You left out the way it minimizes the screen to show you another ad whenever you pause your show. Very annoying when you are trying to get a screenshot of something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

They're like 'hey let's do similar numbers of ads to our TV network!' not realising the number of ads on regular TV and the amount of time we spend staring at them glassy-eyed becomes horrific and obviously wrong once you've been out of that ecosystem for a while and the conditioning that this is normal has worn off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there anything good on Paramount Plus other than Salute Your Shorts?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I AM GRANDO posted:

Strange New Worlds?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Evil, The Good Fight, One Dollar, uhh I think they have Daria?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I tried watching the Lower Decks but whatever computer placed the ad breaks put them all in the middle of dialogue, so you had wait a few minutes between the setup of a joke and the punchline. Then the app crashed my PlayStation and I said to hell with it.

Now I have to bluff my way out when my dad starts talking about Star Trek. Sort of like when you pretend to know about sports in order to make small talk with the mechanic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

oh hey, just like the Crunchyroll app (roku version)! God it sucks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now, see, I watch all these streaming services on my computer, with adblock, so I don't notice how horrible they are aside from the wretched interface.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I Am Fowl posted:

Now, see, I watch all these streaming services on my computer, with adblock, so I don't notice how horrible they are aside from the wretched interface.

This really is the best way to do it imo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1558866707741114369?s=20&t=Vwd5O51PKvy7Z34YNA1BHQ

So, just curious, how many of those Scooby Doo flicks make Daphne and Velma (Dapme? Velne?) seem gay? One of the better parts of the filck.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, after seeing the Tangled series (which was probably better than it had any right to be) and the Big Hero 6 series (alright for the most part but I’d probably avoid the third season) I see there are about 3 shows based around the How To Train Your Dragon franchise, are any of those any good?

And speaking of BH6, is anyone familiar with the comic series that the movie was loosely based on? If so, how are they?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MikeJF posted:

They're like 'hey let's do similar numbers of ads to our TV network!' not realising the number of ads on regular TV and the amount of time we spend staring at them glassy-eyed becomes horrific and obviously wrong once you've been out of that ecosystem for a while and the conditioning that this is normal has worn off.

I had nothing to do while at a hotel this weekend, and neglected to pack a laptop or Switch or anything, so I decided to try watching actual broadcast TV for the first time in ... 6? 7? years

Holy poo poo I had forgotten how absolutely miserable an experience it is

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

readingatwork posted:

You left out the way it minimizes the screen to show you another ad whenever you pause your show. Very annoying when you are trying to get a screenshot of something.

oh dear lord, yes. it's like they were trying to come up with innovative ways to make the viewing experience be as annoying as possible

MikeJF posted:

yeah, hulu and peacock have ads too, but they're much, much more tolerable. admittedly, for hulu at least, i was used to watching it with ads back when it was free, so i was already a bit used to it, but even so, it's still way less cumbersome.

I AM GRANDO posted:

they do have the entire nicktoons lineup. i'd be willing to keep it at least a little while longer just for those, personally

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1558866707741114369?s=20&t=Vwd5O51PKvy7Z34YNA1BHQ

So, just curious, how many of those Scooby Doo flicks make Daphne and Velma (Dapme? Velne?) seem gay? One of the better parts of the filck.

Which series is this in reference to?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I've got to say SAS held up pretty well. Though it doesn't have the magic association of being on summer break as an adult.

While Hey Dude isn't nearly as good, it did give us Christine Taylor. I've had a thing for her since this show aired.

Are you Afraid of the dark, still rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
RL Stine's Haunting Hour is also pretty great.