Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Despite my problems with Prey like some of bad CGI and some weird historical anachronisms (that kinda broke the immersion for me) present for a film that goes out of its way to place itself in a specific time period with some attention to authenticity otherwise I found it to be a better movie than Predator 2. I find Predator 2 kinda hard to watch now cuz its overboard with that late 80s style cheese that didn't age well imo.

Yeah Predator had some of that too but it had Arnie, so.

Predators and the Predator are just bad movies imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am very shocked at how many people are rating the original Predator as a mid-tier Predator movie, but that's cool. It's always been the nearly-untouchable king to me.

Predator 1 is a movie that does nothing wrong, but I'd be lying if I said I was terribly invested in the fate of Dutch and/or Anna. It's an arch movie that you watch with some level of detachment while Arnold fist-fights the monster man - never quite reaching 'operatic'. (The picture that totally nails the Predator 1 tonal shift is, oddly enough, the superhero movie Hancock.)

It's not to say that it's a bad movie, but I love AV|P:R. And, like with DNA, the fact that it's badly overlooked has prevented it from being run into the ground.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Don't sleep on that DNA recommendation

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Predator 1 is a movie that does nothing wrong, but I'd be lying if I said I was terribly invested in the fate of Dutch and/or Anna.

Anna is a non-person but at least she's not ogled over. Hard to care about her other than as a generic person who doesn't deserve this poo poo.

I always like Dutch. He's this big beefy macho man who cares about his team and superficially claims that he doesn't do wetwork but then goes murderous when he sees a hostage executed. For a bunch of guys who "aren't assassins" they sure do a hell of a job of it! I felt that Naru's brother Taabe was kind of a reimagining of him, a total badass who leads a band of warriors and ends up in a 1v1 with the Predator but this time he hadn't prepped the area and wasn't as lucky. He even says one of Dutch's lines, so I feel like that's a pretty obvious connection.

I also think that the Predator has such great characterization in the first film. He's gonna duel Dutch to the death "honorably" but the minute he loses he tries to nuke the jungle. What a piece of poo poo. The Predator from Prey just doesn't have that kind of zip.

edit: typo

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 9, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I also think that the Predator has such great characterization in the first film. He's gonna duel Dutch to the death "honorably" but the minute he loses he tries to nuke the jungle. What a piece of poo poo. The Predator from Prey just doesn't have that kind of zip.

Predator 2 should get a lot of credit just for birthing the entire mythos which kept the franchise alive and relevant. The Predator in 1 is honestly just a prick without any of the trappings of the "warrior" shtick that Pred 2 established. Yeah, he won't kill people who aren't armed but that's because it's "no sport," not because of some code. He totally killed that half-dead dude, lotta sport there.

Pred 2 establishes things like not killing pregnant women or children, making the Predator, if not sympathetic, at least more three-dimensional. Needless to say it also birthed the entire idea of Aliens vs. Predator and the Yautja civilization.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is the unrated version of the first AVP better than the theatrical release?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Spacebump posted:

Is the unrated version of the first AVP better than the theatrical release?

I can't see how when it was always built to be PG-13

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I can't see how when it was always built to be PG-13

The increased violence in the unrated AVP1 is very subtle and doesn't really add anything, there are some bits where a little CG blood is added. The main differences are the opening scene is different and some scenes like when the team is introduced are a little longer, just some more connective tissue from scene to scene in general, overall it's better than what was in theaters but easily would have been rated regular R (and today probably would still be PG-13).

In general throughout the 00s an unrated DVD didn't mean "we added in ultra-violence/fuckin'" it just meant "we added a few snippets to the movie that may or may not include more violence/nudity and we're not bothering to get the movie re-certified for a home release". In some cases the unrated version of a movie would be like 10 extra seconds of someone walking down the street or whatever lol

Anyway here's the full breakdown of AVP1's changes for the unrated version. It's interesting because there's added blood, but also some things are less shown on screen overall:

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_vs._Predator_Unrated_Edition

When you look at some of the structural changes, I think it goes a long way towards why I disliked the movie when I saw it in theaters but seeing it more recently I thought it was fine.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 9, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I can never watch AVPR again is what I can do. What a grossly mean-spirited movie, and I'm saying that from well within horror fandom.

I dont really see it as really mean spirited. It doesn't have a crazy downer ending like The Mist or anything. The protagonists the movie builds to survive do.

It kills a kid, but so does The Blob, which is pretty much the opposite of mean spirited. Only thing I really have is that the PredAlienQueen reimpregnates pregnant women, but I just saw that as goofy and glossed over it as opposed to it really changing the tone of the movie at all to me. It wasn't presented particularly darkly and seriously and was just as silly as every other kill in the movie.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 9, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s mean spirited and I wish it would die

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It’s mean spirited and I wish it would die

You know who else is mean spirited? David the Android.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

He just betrayed and dissected a woman and used her ovaries and innards to make it into the giant clit hood and birthing farm that is the queen; nothing too crazy going on there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NikkolasKing posted:

Predator 2 should get a lot of credit just for birthing the entire mythos which kept the franchise alive and relevant. The Predator in 1 is honestly just a prick without any of the trappings of the "warrior" shtick that Pred 2 established. Yeah, he won't kill people who aren't armed but that's because it's "no sport," not because of some code. He totally killed that half-dead dude, lotta sport there.

Pred 2 establishes things like not killing pregnant women or children, making the Predator, if not sympathetic, at least more three-dimensional. Needless to say it also birthed the entire idea of Aliens vs. Predator and the Yautja civilization.

Strong disagree; the ‘lore’ is what makes things really boring.

Like, as you say: Predator 2 establishes that Yautjas won’t kill pregnant women or children - but it only establishes that for future instalments of the franchise, and does nothing with it in the film proper. (The Leona character is ‘spared’, but she just instantly disappears into an ambulance anyways, so who gives a poo poo?) So they squander the concept, and every subsequent film has to address the honour thing.

AV|P:R is the only film where the code of honour stuff really gels, because it gives the act of carrying a gun a symbolic weight. Picking up a gun is a serious thing. And, at the same time, it mixes things up by giving us a monster-man who isn’t a hunter. He’s not there on a hot day (in a war zone, on a year ending in ‘7’...) to impress his peers for a dumb ritual.

Same with DNA, where the monster-man is a clone with no knowledge of ‘Yautja Culture’.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Comparing Yautja faces from movie to movie is probably like going "oh, they got a Black/Mexican/Han/Desi/White guy this time? Not a fan."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xenomrph posted:

We are never going to see David stopped/what happened to him and that bums me out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Comparing Yautja faces from movie to movie is probably like going "oh, they got a Black/Mexican/Han/Desi/White guy this time? Not a fan."

There are ways to differentiate Predator faces and make variations, and the way Prey did it ain’t it. Predator 2’s Predator looked different, but not radically so. Likewise with the ones from AvP. The super Predators in ‘Predators’ looked markedly different, but within the realm of recognizability. Even in ‘The Predator’, the (deleted) Emissary Predators were going to have markedly different facial structures but you’d look at them and instantly say “yeah that’s a Predator”.

https://youtu.be/4N58PkPAQzA

The one in Prey doesn’t even look like it’s the same species. It looks like an Elite from Halo, and not in a good way.

Spacebump posted:

We are never going to see David stopped/what happened to him and that bums me out.

He died on the way back to his home planet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

True but he wasn’t annoying about it online like the BS were lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I also don’t like it the facd for the Predator in Prey. It suffers from the same crap ADI always does with their Predators. They look like garbage and have been called out for it and claim it’s a style choice.

I love them but it’s a really bad style.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I also don’t like it the facd for the Predator in Prey. It suffers from the same crap ADI always does with their Predators. They look like garbage and have been called out for it and claim it’s a style choice.

I love them but it’s a really bad style.

The Fugitive Predator in ‘The Predator’ looked good.

I’m not going to blame them for the design in Prey, apparently they were guided in that direction by the director. I get what the director was trying to do but I just found it super distracting and my subconscious has already been trying to scrub the unmasked face from my memory of the movie, and just pretend that he has another mask on underneath the bone mask or something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Darko posted:

He just betrayed and dissected a woman and used her ovaries and innards to make it into the giant clit hood and birthing farm that is the queen; nothing too crazy going on there.

Hold up, what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

The Fugitive Predator in ‘The Predator’ looked good.

I’m not going to blame them for the design in Prey, apparently they were guided in that direction by the director. I get what the director was trying to do but I just found it super distracting and my subconscious has already been trying to scrub the unmasked face from my memory of the movie, and just pretend that he has another mask on underneath the bone mask or something.

No I’m going to blame them because they legit keep making the Predators have this wide dumb mouth every single time and I don’t know why.

The predators mouth connects like A sideways X. Alec Gillis flat out said it’s a style choice and I hate it. The fugitive suffers from the same thing too.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I haven't seen Predator 2 in a million years but I'll always love the scene in which the special commandos go into a cold room with special heat-blocking suits to counter the predator's heat vision, and the predator just switches modes on its mask a couple times before easily eviscerating the lot of them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The big predator in The Predator looked like some guy in the gfx dept pushed the height slider to max, it was uninspired as poo poo, and it made me wonder if some studio note demanded creature conformity between The Predator and Predators. I really appreciate the unique creature design in Prey, I’m just glad they didn’t reuse the dumb rear end predator dog designs. Luckily we didn’t get anything doubling down on that stupidity either, like instead of dogs, we got hawks… but with predator dreads!!!

Beware predator dolphins. Their dreads may look smooth but they’re sharp as hell.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 10, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ferrinus posted:

I haven't seen Predator 2 in a million years but I'll always love the scene in which the special commandos go into a cold room with special heat-blocking suits to counter the predator's heat vision, and the predator just switches modes on its mask a couple times before easily eviscerating the lot of them.

Just watched it last night and this was also one of my favourite parts. I liked how it still couldn't actually see them, but their UV lamps gave them away. Also super cool that this was made canon and went directly into the first AvP game (which was honestly one of the scariest single-player campaigns I'd ever played).

Someone said upthread that Predator 2 is almost a perfect comic book storyboard, and I thought about this while watching, it's absolutely true. Other favourite shots from the film are when Keyes gets zapped; the predator is distracted by Harrigan blowing a hole in the wall and shoots him with the plasmacaster while its back is turned, total boss move. And they use the same smash zoom-in on Keyes as the last Jamaican in the penthouse scene, but in the penthouse it's in the predator's thermal vision so the screen goes completely red. So good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not to say that it's a bad movie, but I love AV|P:R. And, like with DNA, the fact that it's badly overlooked has prevented it from being run into the ground.

gently caress me i haven't seen dna since i was 11 or so and had forgotten it entirely. it's on hoopla and i'm watching it for sure. gonna have a flashback to my dad's trailer and the smell of smoke and liquor and some guy shooting up over in the corner and popcorn and movie time on the projection tv, heck yeah

NikkolasKing posted:

yeah it sucks

Mister Speaker posted:

Hold up, what?

alien: covenant is awesome

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator 2 rocks actually

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DeimosRising posted:

alien: covenant is awesome

It's not, but I figured OP was hinting at there being some comic or something in between the Bad Movies, explaining that David did indeed repurpose Shaw's body to birth the eggs in some horrific but distinctly Gigerian homage.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Darko posted:

If I remember right, and I might not be, Noomi Rapace was disappointed that she was called in to do Alien: Covenant as just a body mold.

Mister Speaker posted:

Hold up, what?

If you scroll pretty far down on this site, It's kind of transparent what they were going for.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2012/01/

Mister Speaker posted:

It's not, but I figured OP was hinting at there being some comic or something in between the Bad Movies, explaining that David did indeed repurpose Shaw's body to birth the eggs in some horrific but distinctly Gigerian homage.

:agreed:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh my, that's gnarly.

NWSNWS

Sweet hat, though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Please do not body-shame Feral Predator itt, he is just as God made him

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Please do not body-shame Feral Predator itt, he is just as God made him

Oh I’m not body shaming him, merely face-shaming him. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I finally got around to a Predator 2 rewatch because I've long been overdue, maybe 20 years.

This movie isn't a 1 like I'd give it before. It takes place in some weird Disneyland version of LA but with more life in it and none of the crushing depression that comes with living here. Big laughs were had when the Predator narrowly evades Glover's aim in the beginning by slowly ducking out of frame. Bill Paxton's acting feels like he's auditioning for a zany family comedy like Daddy Daycare, it's the most confusing poo poo. The Temple of Doom sacrifice scene is just lmao. It feels very 90s adventure FMV game if that makes sense to anyone. The sets are pretty interesting though and I like a lot of them, they make The audio sounds really weird, like most of the dialogue was ADR'd in, maybe something is up with the Amazon VOD. I'm lolling so hard because Danny Glover just left Bill Paxton by going into a car full of high Jamaicans and he makes it sound like he's going to spend the evening turning tricks.

I don't know what I'm watching but it's a certain kind of magical. It feels part Blade Runner, Total Recall, Aliens, The Warriors, Die Hard, Last Action Hero, Speed and Gary Busey. It does a whole bunch of stuff competently but none of it meshes well together as a whole. The characters are butt, the script and dialogue are forgettable at best but it has tits. Soundtrack is great, I don't remember it being so good. These shot for shot remakes of Aliens as the group of marines goes in are just ridiculous. The Predator saying "motherfucker" reminds me of the Raptor in Jurassic Park 3 saying "Alan." What is this music that sounds like a choir of pigeons? What the gently caress am I watching?

The Predator just punched a loving wall out of the way on some Bugs Bunny Loony Toons bullshit and ran away with a purpose like he had a turtlehead peeking. I'm laughing way too hard, I think I get this film now. It's good in a really bad way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How is AV|P:R any more mean spirited than Aliens? Every character in that movie essentially gets mouth raped. I'm sure some of the colonists were pregnant women.

It's like being against the very concept of the coolest horror creature ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The directors talking it up colors a lot of my opinions honestly. They just kept saying “hardcore” and “back to the roots” and after I got over the initial hype of it the whole movie just stopped working for me.

I really don’t like the idea of a schlocky teen slasher AvP movie at all where it reveals in graphically raping and killing pregnant woman because it feels really trashy. I just don’t want that vibe with my aliens.

I want scary visceral concepts done in disturbing ways not over the top edgy gore ways.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

How is AV|P:R any more mean spirited than Aliens? Every character in that movie essentially gets mouth raped. I'm sure some of the colonists were pregnant women.

The distant implication in Aliens' setting and layers of scifi allegory in the normal facehugger-cocooing-chestburster process were discarded in favor of a grotesquely immediate attack that inflicted far more graphic and crass violence on pregnant women than I'm personally comfortable with and really discolored the entire procedure going forward. There's a line of tastelessness that even a horror movie can cross where you're just watching torture for torture's sake and boy, was that it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

banned from Starbucks posted:

Doesn't a pregnant woman get cut straight in half in AVPR?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

sigher posted:

The Predator just punched a loving wall out of the way on some Bugs Bunny Loony Toons bullshit and ran away with a purpose like he had a turtlehead peeking. I'm laughing way too hard, I think I get this film now. It's good in a really bad way.

This movie is actually good, OP

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

Doesn't a pregnant woman get cut straight in half in AVPR?

You might be thinking of one of the teenagers who gets pinned to a wall by an errant Predator shuriken.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Getting cut straight in half might be better than what happens to the pregnant woman in Requiem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think I need to rewatch.

Just finished up Prey and god drat, that was a movie. Maybe even better than the original? I can't say for certain but possibly. I never thought Predator would work as a A24-flavored horror film but here we are.