Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea the Hood is literally some street thug who found a magic cape. So that's perfect. But why no Wrecking Crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Getting to 24 hours on Sandman and trying to figure out how much how should warn my wife.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s something alright. It’s no worse than most things on streaming but it’s still pretty violent

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I skipped most of 24 Hours and only regret not skipping more. The John stuff is just human misery, and the Morpheus part at the end is another bullshit magic fight.

If you are going to watch 24 Hours, make sure you have time to watch the following episode too, rinse that out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It wasn't as bad as it was in the comics. They left a lot out, and for the best. Still not very pleasant though.

But yeah, The Sound of Her Wings is a great palette cleanser and it's probably the best episode of the show so definitely go right into that one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Opopanax posted:

Weird choice for Ironheart but I guess I don't actually know that much about her. Have they interacted much in the comics? Or maybe they're doing like a half adaptation of Infamous Iron Man

I think so. Ironheart is a Bendis Marvel character, so I just assume that she’s had to deal with the Hood.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My wife started bawling crying during episode 2 When Morpheus absorbed tbe gargoyle.
And she really doesn't like graphic violence. How much should I do to prepare her for future episodes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

My wife started bawling crying during episode 2 When Morpheus absorbed tbe gargoyle.
And she really doesn't like graphic violence. How much should I do to prepare her for future episodes?

You might just skip 24/7, and The Sound of Her Wings will wreck her emotionally, but in a mostly good way. (that's episodes 5 and 6 respectively)

Edit: If you don't know Sandman, definitely read a synopsis of 24/7 before letting your wife watch it, if it's just been a while since you read the comic and you don't recognize the title, it's the diner issue.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 9, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

You might just skip 24/7, and The Sound of Her Wings will wreck her emotionally, but in a mostly good way. (that's episodes 5 and 6 respectively)

Edit: If you don't know Sandman, definitely read a synopsis of 24/7 before letting your wife watch it, if it's just been a while since you read the comic and you don't recognize the title, it's the diner issue.

Yeah I'll probably give her a warning going into it.

I have read some synopsis, sounds messy but also sort of important to the plot.

The big twist is even though I'm the huge comic nerd, since she is such a Neil Gaiman fan I gave her the Sandman TPB's as a gift years ago. So she has probably read the dinner issue, but forgot most of it. (She days she remembers some of Sandman's story as we are watching the episodes.)

I never read the comics, but I instantly recognised that John Dee is supposed to be super villain Dr. Destiny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

06) I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robin's.
(Looks at image of this show.)
This isn't a real show. You are trying to fool me. You won't trick me.

Its the best show on this list buddy. And at 20 minute something episodes you'll be, unfortunately, zipping thru it.

quote:

05) Big Mouth. Really funny with a great cast. You need to be able to tolerate "embarrassment comedy" but it's good.

Another show justifying the service. It's real good and full of heart and also hysterical

quote:

04) American Vandal.
You know, I keep seeing this be recommended for me, but I have never watched it.

Get on it!

quote:

01) Bojack Horseman.
This is so good. Has some places where it's a little (waves hand) but so much of the rest of it is so good. Between deep callbacks, biting satire, tounge twisters and just gags about wordplay, this show trusts it's audience enough that it will throw loads of jokes in between some really deep plots. One of the best shows on Netflix.

Kinda the same reason I dropped out of Orange, it's a misery cycle that I just decided I need to get out of. Eerily reminiscent of the acquaintance you stopped talking to because they were so self involved all they wanted to do was talk about the latest reason they feel bad about themselves. I get it! Go to therapy already

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mameluke posted:

drat Santa Clarita Diet hasn't even been mentioned yet. Netflix does have some good stuff I guess

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

StumblyWumbly posted:

I skipped most of 24 Hours and only regret not skipping more. The John stuff is just human misery, and the Morpheus part at the end is another bullshit magic fight.

If you are going to watch 24 Hours, make sure you have time to watch the following episode too, rinse that out.

If you’re not expecting mostly “bullshit magic fights” Sandman might not be for you!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe just skip everything with John Dee? He kills a bunch of prison guards and folks. I think he mainly appears at the end of episodes, so you can just skip ahead, but I'm not 100%
Some Corinthian stuff might get weird too. There's just a lot of dark stuff in the series, but the one you mention is definitely the saddest

Shageletic posted:

<Bojack Horseman stuff>
I would rank Bojack as one of the best series anywhere. Like you say, Bojack is incredibly toxic, but I feel like Bojack is better at the characters, it shows him as a funny and fun loving guy who is also an extremely petty piece of poo poo, and when he goes on or off the wagon, it feels more well reasoned than it does on other shows. Plus it has lines like "Maybe I'm like a kit-kat, I was born broken"

Conrad_Birdie posted:

If you’re not expecting mostly “bullshit magic fights” Sandman might not be for you!

I guess I just like shows about garbage people trying to be better?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At the end of Sandman episode 4 it was quite surprising to see Dee spare Rosemary's life and give her the protection amulet. I was expecting him to keep it and was wondering if that was Corinthian's plan as well as Corinthian figured that if Dream attacked Dee Dream would be hosed

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea the Hood is literally some street thug who found a magic cape. So that's perfect. But why no Wrecking Crew?

They're in She-Hulk. Blink and you miss it shot of them in the trailer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

I never read the comics, but I instantly recognised that John Dee is supposed to be super villain Dr. Destiny.

Yeah, the comic includes some more explicit references to the DC universe, including a cameo by the Martian Manhunter/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Madkal posted:

At the end of Sandman episode 4 it was quite surprising to see Dee spare Rosemary's life and give her the protection amulet. I was expecting him to keep it and was wondering if that was Corinthian's plan as well as Corinthian figured that if Dream attacked Dee Dream would be hosed

Should note this was a notable change. In the comic as Dee goes over his backstory, and Rosemary sympathizes with him, he thanks her then shoots her anyway when she drops him off cause he's an evil piece of poo poo. Then he goes to the dinner and tortures a bunch of people purely because he can. But show Dee lacks comic Dee's big issue namely his inability to Dream and thus sleep, which heavily messed him up.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finished it, loved it, with episodes 3 - 6 being the highlight for me. Lie to me and tell me that season 2 and a JLC Hellblazer spin off are already on the way.

Because it’s so long since I read it, my memory’s still very hazy but once Lyta’s ‘situation’ occurred, the fog cleared a bit and I was very much ‘oh gently caress’ at roughly recalling where it all eventually leads. Just how far into the series did this season go? I figured it would only be 10 or 12 issues but maybe it was a lot more?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Maybe something is wrong with me but I didn’t think anything was too horrific in 24/7. For all the hype around it, I didn’t think it met the “awful” hype.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sentinel Red posted:

Finished it, loved it, with episodes 3 - 6 being the highlight for me. Lie to me and tell me that season 2 and a JLC Hellblazer spin off are already on the way.

Because it’s so long since I read it, my memory’s still very hazy but once Lyta’s ‘situation’ occurred, the fog cleared a bit and I was very much ‘oh gently caress’ at roughly recalling where it all eventually leads. Just how far into the series did this season go? I figured it would only be 10 or 12 issues but maybe it was a lot more?

It skips some standalone stories but goes through issue 16, the end of the Dolls House.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Joe Fisto posted:

Maybe something is wrong with me but I didn’t think anything was too horrific in 24/7. For all the hype around it, I didn’t think it met the “awful” hype.

Have you read the issue it's based on?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Madkal posted:

Have you read the issue it's based on?

No, but I have listened to the audio play. I recall that being more graphic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

They're in She-Hulk. Blink and you miss it shot of them in the trailer.

Oh nice.

How did I miss Jenna Coleman had been cast as Constantine?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the comic includes some more explicit references to the DC universe, including a cameo by the Martian Manhunter/

I was legit wondering if they were going to add that in, or at least have something akin to it in the show.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Joe Fisto posted:

No, but I have listened to the audio play. I recall that being more graphic.

TBH I didn't watch the full episode, but it definitely looked less bloody than the comic, which has fingers being cut off and people acting like animals killing each other. The comic was also drawn in a very sketched out manner, so it created a bit more mental space between the reader and the subjects, and it was a series of like three panel vignettes, so I think it worked a bit better but I would still probably skim it if I do a re-read.

All in all it was just a lot of "why are these people being mean jerks? Oh right, magic". It was pessimism masquerading as cheap drama, and personally I don't need that. And the whole "Pessimism == Truth" is just a line I've grown sick of.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just watched 24 hours/sound of her wings. Spoilers below
24 hours is a lot less brutal than the comics but that feels like it is due to the motivation change in Dee. There is still some horrific body horror stuff but it is quick cuts and thankfully very quick and more implied then shown. I thought the ending/final battle was very rushed though. Dream mentions that Dee is causing major harm to the world but in the comics this is shown and in the show it feels like a throw away line. After the battle we see some fire in the real world and Matthew makes it sound like major damage has been done but as an audience we just don't see it. It just felt like we are being told the stakes are so high but never see anything to prove this.
I am really super glad they combined Sound of Her Wings with Hobb's tale and that has been the best episode so far. I was surprised how quickly the episode was going with Death and thought it would be over soon but when the introduced Hobb I was so happy. They handled both stories really well and Hobb was perfectly done

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/CaseyMalone/status/1557131279102930946?t=IsvZnIGk6kzkn21iGPlHGw&s=19

There's a show about Alfred in World War 2? Why is WB/DC like this. Why are they so afraid of Batman shows that they crank out truckloads of half assed garbo about ancillary supporting cast members? And what is going on with Dollar General Mister Freeze over here?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
fun fact the show is actually set in the 60's but it's a weird alternate history 60's where great britain is a fascist hellhole where bobbies are all packing SMGs and there's televised public executions

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I looked it up and apparently that guy ate a bomb and it gave him bomb powers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Honestly can't tell if y'all are making that up

Like,

Jamesman posted:

is some Axe Cop poo poo

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Honestly can't tell if y'all are making that up

Like,

is some Axe Cop poo poo

Or some kind of serial numbers filed off MGS 3 adaptation.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jamesman posted:

He ate the Bomb Bomb Fruit?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Is that their take on The Human Bomb?

Rohan Kishibe posted:

He ate the Bomb Bomb Fruit?

Pretty close. The OG Human Bomb drank an experimental liquid compound so it wouldn't fall into the hands of nazi spies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

fun fact the show is actually set in the 60's but it's a weird alternate history 60's where great britain is a fascist hellhole where bobbies are all packing SMGs and there's televised public executions

I didn't know it was in an alternative history.

Why even bother making it about Alfred then? Why not just make it about Batman in some alternate history?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Pennyworth is a pretty good show. Weird, but watchable.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Madkal posted:

Just watched 24 hours/sound of her wings. Spoilers below
24 hours is a lot less brutal than the comics but that feels like it is due to the motivation change in Dee. There is still some horrific body horror stuff but it is quick cuts and thankfully very quick and more implied then shown. I thought the ending/final battle was very rushed though. Dream mentions that Dee is causing major harm to the world but in the comics this is shown and in the show it feels like a throw away line. After the battle we see some fire in the real world and Matthew makes it sound like major damage has been done but as an audience we just don't see it. It just felt like we are being told the stakes are so high but never see anything to prove this.
I am really super glad they combined Sound of Her Wings with Hobb's tale and that has been the best episode so far. I was surprised how quickly the episode was going with Death and thought it would be over soon but when the introduced Hobb I was so happy. They handled both stories really well and Hobb was perfectly done

The news playing in the background reveals a lot of the affects on the wider world, with the news caster behaviors changing as they report on weird weather phenomenon and disastrous infrastructure failure causing explosions and what not. It's subtle, but given what we see in the diner, I think it's easy enough to extrapolate what was going on elsewhere. I think the bigger problem is the next episode showing society continuing on fine as if nothing had happened.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

glitchwraith posted:

The news playing in the background reveals a lot of the affects on the wider world, with the news caster behaviors changing as they report on weird weather phenomenon and disastrous infrastructure failure causing explosions and what not. It's subtle, but given what we see in the diner, I think it's easy enough to extrapolate what was going on elsewhere. I think the bigger problem is the next episode showing society continuing on fine as if nothing had happened.

tbf that's exactly how it went down in the comics too

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

tbf that's exactly how it went down in the comics too

Also to be fair, this part in the comic is still pretty heavily set in DC continuity, where these kind of crises aren't uncommon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

https://twitter.com/CaseyMalone/status/1557131279102930946?t=IsvZnIGk6kzkn21iGPlHGw&s=19

There's a show about Alfred in World War 2? Why is WB/DC like this. Why are they so afraid of Batman shows that they crank out truckloads of half assed garbo about ancillary supporting cast members? And what is going on with Dollar General Mister Freeze over here?

You mean Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler? :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That show may have a lock on dollar store Mr. Freezes but it'll never catch Gotham when it comes to dieselpunk Banes wearing circuit pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So apparently no one has Epix.