Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Also, there's a lot of cool content after Zanarkand. The game opens up at that point, letting you either rush to the finale or dig into the broader endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

the scene with them all moping on that little island while 'to zanarkand' plays is actually all of them contemplating their duty to 100% all the content

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

jokes posted:

the scene with them all moping on that little island while 'to zanarkand' plays is actually all of them contemplating their duty to 100% all the content

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ohtori Akio posted:

Also, there's a lot of cool content after Zanarkand. The game opens up at that point, letting you either rush to the finale or dig into the broader endgame.

The broad endgame of FFX's terrible minigames to unlock the Celestial Weapons.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

amigolupus posted:

The broad endgame of FFX's terrible minigames to unlock the Celestial Weapons.

There's a lot more there in HD, and the secret dungeons were always good on NA PS2.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

There's a lot more there in HD, and the secret dungeons were always good on NA PS2.

The new stuff in HD is almost all terrible. As bad as half the relic weapons and the arena grind is, they have nothing on the Dark Aeons/Penance.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like X enough that when I finish my rounds, X or XIII are high on my list to revisit for post-game and side content. We'll see where the others fall

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Trying to fight the very first boss of Stranger of Paradise on Bahamut mode going straight from Action mode: I'm in for it now.

I know the patterns. I have the strategy. I also have very, very bad luck. It isn't so much a case of "git gud" as it is, "How long until I make that one fatal mistake." I'm sure many Souls players have had that experience. Gonna give it another try tomorrow.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I was worried that the Ronso fight was going to be difficult

Instead, it was a very easy way to acquire several LBs for Kimahri.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

They seemed to realize that a lot of people just wouldn't use Kimahri so it's trivially easily and spams overdrives to learn.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I like X enough that when I finish my rounds, X or XIII are high on my list to revisit for post-game and side content. We'll see where the others fall

X's main game ends at just about the right time. The battle system and sphere grid are pretty cool, but they're not the deepest and the wheels are starting to fall off by the time you finish the most accessable of the endgame content. By the time you get into the arena grind or the dark aeons the limits of both are really starting to show.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

I think they also scale the fight to Kimahri's stats so you're not forced to grind sphere levels?

At least it's a good source for LV.3 Sphere Keys if you gave Kimahri Steal.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Rikku's name is straight up, spelled the same way entirely just the Japanese word for rucksack, soooo, well just overall Cid ain't the best at naming.

Oh my gosh her names a pun. :negative:

Rucksack, where all the items she Uses are stored.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Rikku's name is straight up, spelled the same way entirely just the Japanese word for rucksack, soooo, well just overall Cid ain't the best at naming.

this wasnt in the primer

speaking of, how was the primer system handled in japanese?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I wish that the poo poo you had to hit to open doors in SoP didn't get massive loving piles of HP in CHAOS and Bahamut modes. Levels you could previously run your rear end through quickly are basically forced fights now since enemies aren't going to let you take 1-2 minutes to bash away at something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey is this the thread where you get mad as hell about Nomura ruining the company?

Anyway, I have weird taste and very much enjoyed 2, 6 and both Tactics Advance games. I played the DS version of 4 and found it extremely hard and didn't really like FF1. If they could manage the time and effort to do another Remake on about a fifth the scale of 7, what's the game they'd want to take another crack at? I know people on here like 10 a lot but I don't know if SE has a real soft spot for like, 8 or 12 or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Oh hey is this the thread where you get mad as hell about Nomura ruining the company?

I mean if you wanna be wrong then sure go ahead

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

Nomura's fate seems to be getting undeserved hate for things he wasn't responsible for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nomura is cool I like him

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Yuna is the only truly great Nomura design imho. when that man has restraint it's pure gold

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ohtori Akio posted:

Yuna is the only truly great Nomura design imho. when that man has restraint it's pure gold

You're saying this like TWEWY and Neo TWEWY don't exist.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Ohtori Akio posted:

The best Nomura designs are when he just gives characters what he has in his closet.

TWEWY designs undefeated.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nomura gets So Much heat when im like, 90% sure all the stuff people complain about wrt to him is way more relevant to like, the execs at square

the last 10% are people who extremely Hate kh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

whenever someone reads an article about Yosuke Matsuda their brain just autocorrects the name to Tetsuya Nomura

Ohtori Akio posted:

auron is, and I cannot stress this enough, loving sick

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Augus posted:

whenever someone reads an article about Yosuke Matsuda their brain just autocorrects the name to Tetsuya Nomura

nomura has had a wizard's curse placed on him for a good 21 years now 😔

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The cast of 7 (and 7R) have great designs. Aerith and Tifa are iconic.

super-redguy posted:

Nomura's fate seems to be getting undeserved hate for things he wasn't responsible for.

Reminds me of when I saw someone blame Nomura for the Eden raid story in FFXIV because they assumed he wrote it, even though he was just a character designer for it. Speaking of which, Gaia is cool. She's also pretty much a twin of Shoka in NEO: The World Ends With You, but from what I've played so far, she's also cool.

super-redguy posted:

The best Nomura designs are when he just gives characters what he has in his closet.

TWEWY designs undefeated.

Also yeah.
https://twitter.com/TropicalMaku/status/1418228791697018886

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 10, 2022

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Booky posted:

nomura has had a wizard's curse placed on him for a good 21 years now 😔

A wizard's curse, and every single job under the sun.

If you look at Nomura's career it's like they didn't let him take a single break.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

super-redguy posted:

A wizard's curse, and every single job under the sun.

If you look at Nomura's career it's like they didn't let him take a single break.

god yea that too wasn't he nonstop on projects for like, 10 years straight in the 00s-10s??

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I do not feel the same warmth as you all do for TWEWY, and that's okay.

Augus posted:

auron is, and I cannot stress this enough, loving sick

That's true. I stand corrected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

god yea that too wasn't he nonstop on projects for like, 10 years straight in the 00s-10s??

Nomura has been pumping out games every 2-3 years, yeah, almost all of which have been well received

'Why do they keep going back to Nomura?' Because his poo poo comes out on time and sells.

FfVXIII was a mess but was also plainly a huge mess on multiple levels due to backend poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This owns

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

super-redguy posted:

Booky posted:

nomura gets So Much heat when im like, 90% sure all the stuff people complain about wrt to him is way more relevant to like, the execs at square

the last 10% are people who extremely Hate kh

If the reception to the ending of FF7 Remake soon after its release taught me anything, it's that SE is a company of 4 people. Yoko Taro makes Nier, Yoshi-P makes FF14, Toriyama's in charge of Dragon Quest and Nomura makes all the mistakes

Next you're gonna tell me that he sewed and stitched them together himself too! This is an incredible level of drip.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FrostyPox posted:

Do they ever explain why people don't drown in FFX? Costner-esque gills? They can hold their breath forever? Don't need to breathe at all?

As others have said, they're just incredibly good at holding their breath. It's just your standard fantastic superpower type thing people have in fiction, like Cloud being able to swing a sword as big as his entire body, or the entire cast of FFVI being perfectly fine after falling out of an airship, or Zell being able to run around the entire planet in half a second for his Limit Break.

The audio drama that takes place between FFX and FFX-2 even has Yuna talking about how she's training herself to hold her breath like a blitzball player can.

quote:

Yuna: It's been two years. I've learned how to hold my breath for more than two minutes now. It takes more than physical strength. And there's some tricks that can't be taught. It took practice. Lots and lots of practice. I just had to keep trying until I figured it out for myself. You know what? Back then, I didn't think there were any tricks to it at all. I didn't have time to think. An eternal Calm. A slightly chubby Wakka, and my 2 minutes, 41 seconds. It's not much but it's enough.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nomura is fated to take on all the sins of square enix by himself, much like Jesus Christ (maybe)

but man if i had to do even a quarter of all the stuff the execs dumped on him back 10 years ago i probably would have collapsed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RareAcumen posted:

If the reception to the ending of FF7 Remake soon after its release taught me anything, it's that SE is a company of 4 people. Yoko Taro makes Nier, Yoshi-P makes FF14, Toriyama's in charge of Dragon Quest and Nomura makes all the mistakes

Wasn't FF7R one of the best received games of the year? What's this about?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

amigolupus posted:

I think they also scale the fight to Kimahri's stats so you're not forced to grind sphere levels?

Pretty sure I recall some people saying back when the game was still new that they used a gameshark to max everyone's stats and got to the ronso bros. only to find they had millions of HP each

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JBP posted:

Wasn't FF7R one of the best received games of the year? What's this about?

Ending was controversial and generated discussion on the Internet with many a person invoking Nomura in their comments.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ending was controversial and generated discussion on the Internet with many a person invoking Nomura in their comments.

Which is funny because there are interviews with the actual writers of the game where they explicitly say they wanted to go even farther and weirder with it and Nomura was the one trying to wrangle them back to something more faithful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I have weird taste and very much enjoyed 2, 6 and both Tactics Advance games. I played the DS version of 4 and found it extremely hard and didn't really like FF1. If they could manage the time and effort to do another Remake on about a fifth the scale of 7, what's the game they'd want to take another crack at? I know people on here like 10 a lot but I don't know if SE has a real soft spot for like, 8 or 12 or something.

I was thinking just yesterday about which other FFs would be cool to see get remakes on the scale of FF7, or anything even remotely like that, and I couldn't actually think of one. I think FF7 occupies a special place where it's this really unique, ambitious story that people always felt, rightly or wrongly, was straining against its technical limitations. Combine that with the game being a breakthrough hit and really beloved and it's the perfect storm for a real-rear end big-time remake.

I can't really think of any other FFs that, when I play them, I can feel them wanting to do more than they did. FF9, for example, feels comfy just as it is. All I'd want from a hypothetical remake of it, I guess, would be basically just what the Moguri Mod does, but in a more official capacity (widescreen support, redone prerendered backgrounds, etc.). I don't think I'd want voice acting or a modernized action combat system or a more cinematic presentation or anything like that. It's already doing what it set out to do. Same for FF6, which I think gets brought up a decent amount for a remake, too. I could see maybe an HD-2D remake working well for it FF6 one day, though I don't know if it would benefit as much from that treatment as something like Live A Live. And then once we hit the PS2 era, Square was already starting to really nail their cinematic presentation, and a game like FF12 already looks gorgeous with just the remastered touch-ups it got with Zodiac Age.

The one I'd most like to see would be FF8, maybe, and like you said in your question maybe not on the scale of FF7's remake project. But FF8 was also wildly ambitious and has a ton of crazy set pieces that would probably be fun as hell with a full modern treatment.