Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rappaport posted:

The original Stupefier is amazing, and I am upset it isn't in BG2 :( There are good maces in 2 available, but you get most of 'em a little late, at least if you do the stronghold quests in chapter 2. And what is up with the mace you get from the Unseeing Eye quest? Who is this for? You have to kill a bunch of gauths and beholders to get it!

As friend Chaosapiant noted, the real answer to those loving Cthulhu-spawn wannabes are Mordenkainen's swords. Lots and lots of Mordenkainen's swords. (Also spam death spell in the general vicinity to destroy their umber hulk friends!)

IIRC cloud kill also kills umber hulks with no save. Extra experience in the De'Arnise keep if you enjoy killing the keep dogs, boiling them up and mashing them into a stew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

And don’t forget: Mordekainan’s Swords can be hasted. So you can have a magical Mindflayer Blender.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dillbag posted:

IIRC cloud kill also kills umber hulks with no save. Extra experience in the De'Arnise keep if you enjoy killing the keep dogs, boiling them up and mashing them into a stew.

Yes, cloud kill is also very effective. But when you're rolling around in chapter 5, you should have at least one caster with one death spell memorized, and it doesn't have the somewhat clunky cloud mechanics attached.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Now, when ya'll say "stun", that's what the actual status effect is called?

Short answer: there's a status effect called "Stunned" which means all attacks on you automatically hit, the character can't move or act, and their inventory screen is greyed out.

Long answer: the game is an absolute mess in the way it handles this. The state your character gets put into is called Helpless, which is when they can't be selected, their inventory screen is greyed out, they can't act or move, and all attacks against them automatically hit.

There are about 20 spells/items/abilities that cause the Helpless state, and there are a smaller number of codes that the spells/items/abilities use to set that state and determine things like how long it lasts, what ends the state (like attacking a sleeping person, or casting Remove Paralysis or whatever), what protects against it, what icon appears on your character portrait, etc.

Unfortunately there's no real consistency or logic to the particular code that the spells/items/abilities use (for example the spell Web uses the same code as the wand of paralysation), and you need to look up a big cross referenced list to see which one uses what to see what protects against a particular spell or creature, as well as which creatures might be immune to what.

Which reminds me of another question someone asked a while back that never got answered:

Chubby Henparty posted:

Whenever I start a new run I usually eekeeper in 6xboots of the cheetah and some bags of holding. When selecting these there's like 5 similarly named items of each to pick from, some of which are broken when used, including some of the bags which may have a few magical bits inside.

What's actually up with them? Are the broken boots to apply speed effects to certain mobs? We're the bags the remnants of testers' kits back in 98?

The way the game gives creatures their different abilities is usually by putting undroppable items on them. Ghouls claws get their stun effect from a weapon that the ghouls use for example. Other creatures might be immune to knock back, or fear, or whatever, and these immunities are given in the same way: they put an item on the creature that blocks the code that I was talking about above that causes the effect.

So that's what all these other random items that show up in EEKeeper are - items that various creatures in the game have equipped to provide them with their immunities or abilities.

As for why they share names or icons with various real items, I'm not entirely sure. I suspect the devs often just copy+pasted an existing item and didn't bother to remove the references to the strings in dialogue.tlk that give the item a name.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so, there are lots of differing ways to be stunned, and they each have different ways of protecting or restoring, but the bard HLA is just a blanket answer to all cases?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

chaosapiant posted:

Watching Khalid saunter off into the woods with a yellow circle around his feet is a rite of passage.

BETTER PART OF VALOR! BETTER PART OF VALOR!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All stuns are helpless but not all helpless are stuns.

Depending how much attention a developer was putting toward the spell effects on that day/stage of development/era of modding and extended editions, they may have made a certain flavor of free action prevent helpless or prevent stun. Similarly they may have implemented a restricted action as pure helpless, helpless like sleep, helpless like stun etc. which is what gives the technical levers for rules based resolution like a ring of free action doesn't work for sleep but does for web.

Any sort of inconsistency in your approach between the day you made free action and the day you made status effect XYZ leads to what may be bugs compared to a 2e ruleset interpretations but maybe new features if you want to implement a good RPG. Which can be fixed with enough technical classification elbow grease eventually especially now that EE is there with a deeper understanding and access to some of the hard coded stuff compared to what is exposed in pkg files etc.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Fun Baldur's Gate fact I found out last night as I was robbing random houses and inns in BG.

Shank and Carbos are cousins. Shank has a sister in BG who thinks they are good boys at heart, and maybe have just fallen in with a bad crowd. They also apparently owe her money.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lucas Archer posted:

Fun Baldur's Gate fact I found out last night as I was robbing random houses and inns in BG.

Shank and Carbos are cousins. Shank has a sister in BG who thinks they are good boys at heart, and maybe have just fallen in with a bad crowd. They also apparently owe her money.

The real question is where did those idiots get their hands on not one but two fantastically rare books to buy their way into Candlekeep?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In low-level d&d “bandit” isn’t a career choice, they’re a kind of fungal body that propagates by spore and fruits when exposed to an aura of Protagonism, taking on humanoid appearance in a form of Müllerian mimicry. If the aura is particularly potent the bandit may even develop a name and a kind of personality , although invariably of the boorish monosyllabic variety.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

The real question is where did those idiots get their hands on not one but two fantastically rare books to buy their way into Candlekeep?

No matter how thick the mesh a mosquito always finds its way through

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

sebzilla posted:

I always assumed they got in through the tunnels underneath Candlekeep. My question is how did they get past those basilisks?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lucas Archer posted:

I always assumed they got in through the tunnels underneath Candlekeep. My question is how did they get past those basilisks?

The tunnels don't get you into Candlekeep though, they're only a way out. If you click on the doors behind you after Tethtoril teleports you into the catacombs you get a message about how heavily warded they are and how there's no way back that way.

Presumably only someone with the right wardstones could get through there.

Sarevok presumably brings in his lackies through the front gate somehow or they have some other entrance we don't know about

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sarevok gave them the books. Not that hard to imagine.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
what's the highest number of You must gather your party before venturing forths people have gotten on a single exit?

I heard 7 trying to get into Nashkel but I'd forgotten to talk to the guards first and the party couldn't get in. meanwhile, Jaheira keeps forgetting where the entrance to the sewers is and she keeps ending up in the pit room. that got 6. I'd never heard more than 3 or 4 previously.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arivia posted:

Sarevok gave them the books. Not that hard to imagine.

Should've given them to guys with more than 4 hp. Also should've given them +2 daggers or something while he's at it, if he's personally spending cash to see you killed

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

Should've given them to guys with more than 4 hp. Also should've given them +2 daggers or something while he's at it, if he's personally spending cash to see you killed

I suppose they could have lied on their resume about how competent they were. Not like there's a "detect thief levels" spell

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sure there is, just cast Sleep and see if they pass out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

I suppose they could have lied on their resume about how competent they were. Not like there's a "detect thief levels" spell

Sarevok is the same guy who just goes "ah gently caress it" when you run away from him after killing Gorion so probably too lazy to background check his assassins

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

You get back in with just one book, right? And you're hauling along a maximum of five other doofuses who don't have their own books. If Koveras came to Candlekeep a couple of weeks before 1st of Mirtul to study some prophecies, maybe he had a couple of body guards with him who got lost and decided to hide in a shed eating rats.

What's weirder is that someone rezzed both of 'em, for them to be somehow fighting over a girl in the bridge district in BG2 :prepop:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

They borrowed money from their aunt to buy some rare-ish books so they could collect the bounty on Charname.

That’s my head canon. I don’t see Sarevok employing them personally.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Sure there is, just cast Sleep and see if they pass out.

Shank is an elf and immune to sleep :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but CHARNAME really isn’t anyone to fear early on. Until you get done in Nashkel you’ve basically only survived by sheer luck and having friends.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It is a bit weird that he didn't send his best guy to assassinate CHARNAME if he sent a guy and even bought him a book. Serevok doesn't need to send a level appropriate threat. I think his plan was to do it himself, but the bounty was a 'might as well' kind of thing.

My head canon is Candlekeep lets plenty of people in without rare books, just not as guests with library access. They could have been hired as laborers, bodyguards for a more important guest, or servants of some kind.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jay Rust posted:

Shank is an elf and immune to sleep :(

Ah that explains how he beat the test

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so, there are lots of differing ways to be stunned, and they each have different ways of protecting or restoring, but the bard HLA is just a blanket answer to all cases?

I don't know exactly what the improved bard song protects against, the point of my very rambling post was that it's likely to be very inconsistently and illogically applied. It's possible that it blocks most stun-like spells and abilities, but also possible that it only blocks a very small subsection of them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding the Candle keep "assassin's", they talk about their wild good fortune in encountering you so I think they hadn't even gone there for the purpose; I assumed they were just wandering scumbags who happened to be there when the word got around. This is also why they're wildly unprepared assassin's, they're just mean dude with knives willing to kill a kid for 100gp.

I assume wandering labors can get into candlekeep in some limited fashion, I feel like it can't logistically otherwise and there has to be a difference between workers coming in with a wagon load and people who want to enter as "citizens".

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Empty Sandwich posted:

what's the highest number of You must gather your party before venturing forths people have gotten on a single exit?

When I played Sandrah Saga I had enormous pathfinding issues due to Haiass and Pelligram following me everywhere, this included hearing that loving voice more times that I could count.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ginette Reno posted:

Sarevok is the same guy who just goes "ah gently caress it" when you run away from him after killing Gorion so probably too lazy to background check his assassins

CHARNAME wandered away faster than chiktikka fastpaws

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vichan posted:

When I played Sandrah Saga I had enormous pathfinding issues due to Haiass and Pelligram following me everywhere, this included hearing that loving voice more times that I could count.

insult to injury

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

I heard 7 trying to get into Nashkel but I'd forgotten to talk to the guards first and the party couldn't get in. meanwhile, Jaheira keeps forgetting where the entrance to the sewers is and she keeps ending up in the pit room. that got 6. I'd never heard more than 3 or 4 previously.
I got to a point where I would just console teleport the party to the exit if I heard it more than once.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's a tweak in the tweaks anthology mod that mutes the guy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You just move your party next to the exit first and click it when everybody gets there. I thought everyone knew this by now.

When you get really good you can even have your leader standing in the transition trigger spot and launch the transition instantly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zedprime posted:

You just move your party next to the exit first and click it when everybody gets there. I thought everyone knew this by now.

When you get really good you can even have your leader standing in the transition trigger spot and launch the transition instantly.

i'm playing pathfinder kingmaker right now and it warms my heart like you would not believe that if you click to send your party to the exit from far away they clump up on the exit spot and one person can never get to their stopping point for the exit to trigger. just like my childhood rtwp games :D

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

bike tory posted:

Which reminds me of another question someone asked a while back that never got answered:

The way the game gives creatures their different abilities is usually by putting undroppable items on them. Ghouls claws get their stun effect from a weapon that the ghouls use for example. Other creatures might be immune to knock back, or fear, or whatever, and these immunities are given in the same way: they put an item on the creature that blocks the code that I was talking about above that causes the effect.

So that's what all these other random items that show up in EEKeeper are - items that various creatures in the game have equipped to provide them with their immunities or abilities.

As for why they share names or icons with various real items, I'm not entirely sure. I suspect the devs often just copy+pasted an existing item and didn't bother to remove the references to the strings in dialogue.tlk that give the item a name.

Thanks for that :cheers:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Assume wandering labors can get into candlekeep in some limited fashion, I feel like it can't logistically otherwise and there has to be a difference between workers coming in with a wagon load and people who want to enter as "citizens".

That Bob-the-Angry-Flower-in-Galt's-Gulch comic except with Firebeard and Tethtoril.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 11, 2022

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd guess Shank and Carbos joined some wandering scholar's entourage as guards or something, although I love the idea that they handed over TALES OF THE NORTH, VOLUME XVIII with REEL EXPENSIVE BUK written overtop in crayon and the guard was all "Eh, checks out"

BG1 NPC Project adds a brief interaction when you try to get back inside where the guard says that it's only you who are being barred entry, that Imoen could go back home any time she wanted. I think this is just BG1 NPC Project being a bit silly, as is its way, but it is now my headcanon that Ulraunt's just being a hardass where you're concerned because you spilled ink on his robes when you were ten or something.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 11, 2022

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
If I start directly with the EE content (SoD?) in BG1, what will I miss if I go on to BG2?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nuclear War posted:

If I start directly with the EE content (SoD?) in BG1, what will I miss if I go on to BG2?

All of BG1.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I might be miss understanding your question but SoD is a stand alone expansion you start up and either import a BG1 protagonist or create a new one - it's exactly like BG2 in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Come to think of it, is it a single book worth 10,000 gp or 10,000 gp worth of books because I can see some rear end in a top hat turning up with a wheelbarrow full of The History Of The Dead Three (and that's how Firebead Elvenhair got into Candlekeep)