Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It would be phone boxes. Fixed area of availability determined by the infrastructure, life adjusts around that. Go away from that and you don't get to use it, so fewer people do that.
Makes sense, I saw one of those "phone + SMS + em@il" phone boxes in a small village last weekend for the first time in decades. I'm not sure it even did the e-online cyber bit because it was just a red phone box with a phone in, but it did have a sign saying it didn't take coins so maybe the new 'cyber' is 'gently caress you if you only have cash'.

e: The .280 British was the UK attempt at an intermediate assault rifle style cartridge that wasn't very successful.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Bobby you post like a bot

ok ELOM MUSK

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

endlessmonotony posted:

Problem: It's not a solution at all.

With sodium you get large immobile power units. You need lithium for electric cars. Electric cars are a dead end, replacing internal combustion engines would take a lot more resources than we have.

Counting on any promises of future technological breakthroughs to solve this leads you to using fusion to power carbon capture plants to solve global warming.

I don't know where you're getting this "large immobile power units" thing from. They've achieved 160wh/kg with Sodium, which, yes, it's a little short of the ~250wh/kg with lithium, but sodium is also muuuuuuuch cheaper than lithium.

I agree that electric cars are a dead end in some sense, we should be replacing private cars with public transport to the greatest possible extent... but nevertheless, we're getting electric cars. Also talk of "replacing all of the IC engines we have will take x resources"... well yeah, but we already replace all of the cars on earth something like every 12-15 years (the average life span of a private car).

To be very clear, I fully agree with this:

OwlFancier posted:

a shitload of things people currently move around for do not need to happen in the first place and a shitload more of them only happen because nobody's fucjking planned around mass transit in half a century.

Throwing idiotic amounts of resource at making loving cars really boils my piss.

But nevertheless, the auto-lobby has existed for a century and there's still a lot of money to be made selling private cars, and all of North America is built HEAVILY around the automobile being a thing that every household has, to the point where if you don't have one you're basically hosed. I'd *love* to believe that in 15 years 90% of the cars we currently have will be off the road, but I don't.

notaspy posted:

How do we deal with the current carbon in the atmosphere? Not a troll, I have no real understanding of all the moving parts.

It's difficult. They are looking at ways of doing it, there's a thing called "enhanced weathering" where you spread finely ground silicate rock onto farmland, beaches or just straight into the ocean. Carbon in the air reacts with the rock and forms carbonate minerals. It's a double-whammy of benefits if you do it in the ocean because it works to increase alkalinity and reverse ocean acidification, which is a problem. We already have shitloads of spare waste rock from mining tailings.

To be very very very very clear about what I'm saying here with this post: I do not think that technology will save us. I don't want to get too black-pilled ITT so I'm not posting more about that. I'm just saying that the whole home energy storage, vehicle-to-grid thing seems to be a lot of what's being pushed by automakers and so I think that's what we're going to end up with. We may also get sodium batteries at home (or lithium, or lead-acid, or LiFePO4 or some other static battery storage units).

Tbh we just had a massive grid outage that lasted over 2 weeks where I live in Ottawa recently, and I'm looking at solutions for home backup power, because I think that grid issues are going get worse and more frequent, and one of the options I'm looking at is solar panels plus lithium battery storage. Currently, if you are somewhere you think that power is going to get much more expensive, or you don't think you can rely on grid power to be continuous, solar plus batteries look like a good solution, and if you're buying batteries for storage, it's barely any more expensive to buy a car instead and use the car's battery pack for your storage.

Again, this is not my ideal solution, it's just what I think we're going to end up with.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 10, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Makes sense, I saw one of those "phone + SMS + em@il" phone boxes in a small village last weekend for the first time in decades. I'm not sure it even did the e-online cyber bit because it was just a red phone box with a phone in, but it did have a sign saying it didn't take coins so maybe the new 'cyber' is 'gently caress you if you only have cash'.

e: The .280 British was the UK attempt at an intermediate assault rifle style cartridge that wasn't very successful.

There was a working red phone box near my mum & dad's (previous) place until recently- a location where there is zero mobile phone signal (or 4G or even 2G), and a reasonably popular youth hostel 2 miles up an almost vertical hill (dad occasionally used to ferry hostellers up there in his car if they were struggling - it's not obvious from the map that you need ropes and crampons to get up there - joking but not much!) I'm not sure when it stopped being functional - maybe 5-6 years ago and the phone all ripped out now. Not even an internet connection in there.
So if there's a powercut cutting out your home router or you otherwise need to make an urgent phone call, too bad.
We got mum a phone that plugs directly into the phone socket to keep near the phone outlet in case of a powercut as those walking-around-the-house phones (I'm sure there's a technical term but I don't know what it is - with a base station that charges up the handsets) also cease to function in a powercut.

(I blame my garbled sentence construction above as a result of spending the last 6 hours beating Xero and Salesforce into submission).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

blunt posted:

We should start by immediately sinking decommissioning the 341 cruise ships that exist worldwide. It's way more achievable short term than moving everybody to EVs, only exists as a luxury form of travel that less than 0.5% of people on earth interact with on a yearly basis (either through employment or recreation) and would have a massive immediate effect on emissions

I don't personally like the idea of moving to an EV because uh, I hate modern cars. I hate cars that are too complex and advanced for me to maintain myself. And they are just getting worse and worse and more difficult to work on. I welded on my Mazda 2005 a few weeks ago and replaced the whole bottom sill plate and part of the arches. Hell if I could do that on a modern car, the sheet metal is some fancy unweldable alloy and even structural now. And if things do go wrong with a modern car it's a lot of "toss away this entire board of components" stuff. Which strikes me as very wasteful and expensive to boot.

I really like driving a bit of a shitbox car since I only need the most basic rear end traffic insurance to keep costs down and if it gets some damage no big, I can fix that or live with it. I just don't wanna deal with cars more modern than 2010 ish... Unless right to repair becomes a huge thing in the car industry and they make a car that's easy to work on at home. And with as little digital technology as possible.

So my personal idea is to convert my car to biogas. Where I live the local (publically owned) waste disposal company takes all the biological waste and compost it to bioreactors to produce biogas. The local citys public transport has been converted to run on biogas since a few years and there is a network of fueling stations around the city nowadays. The fuel equivalent cost of biogas is 1€ / liter to boot. It can still run on conventional fuel too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There is no way to deal with it in the sense that we could suck it out of the atmosphere and then it's just gone. We need to mitigate the effects of it being there, and we need radical changes. People talk about electric cars; if we were to go carbon neutral tomorrow, with a magic snap of the fingers, that still might not be enough to save us, so what is a global production chain of electric cars going to do to help us? All these half measures are just another form of grief. Denial and Bargaining.

Those radical changes would need a society that isn't based on private profit above all else. As in, not this one. Imagine a society where the goal is to "degrow". Madness apparently.

We could ban all cars tomorrow and it wouldn't be enough, but the lack of cars would cause immense suffering on its own.

Yeah. Again, not to be too black pilled, but it's essentially too late already. It's like we have stage four liver cancer and we're not only refusing chemo and radiotherapy, we're still drinking a bottle of voddy a day. Could a miracle occur and we survive? Sure. Is it likely? No.

I've been spending a lot of time actively working on various ways to come to terms with this, to try and face the End with some sort of equanimity and dignity. I have good days and bad ones. I try not to think about it all the time, but I think it's ultimately easier to face the truth rather than try to ignore it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Turns out Germany is loving with their emissions numbers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0sq5GN7xc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The last time there was this much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was about 28 million years ago, when the temperature was about 4-6 degrees warmer. The reason we're only seeing 1.3 degrees so far is that there's a delay in the resultant heating.

Back then, the heating was so slow - taking tens of thousands of years - that life could adapt. Even forests could move. We're speedrunning it in about 3 centuries and with all the other pressures we're piling on wildlife, it's fair to say the natural world is incredibly hosed.

EVs will do nothing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also read that there's so much PFAS globally now, that rainwater, globally, is not recommended for drinking any more.

A well known pfas is teflon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I wish people would stop saying "x will do nothing, y won't work"

No they aren't the solution to climate change but they will buy more time and as individuals that's all we can really do.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

blunt posted:

We should start by immediately sinking decommissioning the 341 cruise ships that exist worldwide. It's way more achievable short term than moving everybody to EVs, only exists as a luxury form of travel that less than 0.5% of people on earth interact with on a yearly basis (either through employment or recreation) and would have a massive immediate effect on emissions

gently caress me, I didn't realise they were THAT bad. I've always been vaguely interested in taking one just for the people watching, but no more!

If this is the case though, a q: I remember hearing that during lockdown, even with no planes, no cruises etc, that emissions overall only went down slightly. And that individual choices, while not negatives, have a minimal positive impact based on the large shifts we need. Do we have a % in terms of global emissions caused by cruises? And the highest % offenders?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

loving finally!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

No they aren't the solution to climate change but they will buy more time and as individuals that's all we can really do.

No-one is saying 'don't do anything'.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

No-one is saying 'don't do anything'.

Well it can come across that way with how defeatist a lot of you are. And I get it, its dire, its depressing. But saying stuff like "EVs will do nothing" begs the question , then why bother getting one?

Mourning Due posted:

gently caress me, I didn't realise they were THAT bad. I've always been vaguely interested in taking one just for the people watching, but no more!

If this is the case though, a q: I remember hearing that during lockdown, even with no planes, no cruises etc, that emissions overall only went down slightly. And that individual choices, while not negatives, have a minimal positive impact based on the large shifts we need. Do we have a % in terms of global emissions caused by cruises? And the highest % offenders?

quote:

ship burns 433 tonnes of fuel a day, and takes six days to travel from Southampton to New York. If the ship is full, every passenger with a return ticket consumes 2.9 tonnes. A tonne of shipping fuel contains 0.85 tonnes of carbon, which produces 3.1 tonnes of carbon dioxide when it is burnt. Every passenger is responsible for 9.1 tonnes of emissions. Travelling to New York and back on the QEII, in other words, uses almost 7.6 times as much carbon as making the same journey by plane.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mega Comrade posted:

as soon as you create some spare capacity or some headroom wrt energy, some dipshit immediately fills it with crypto mining or something. also carbon lingers in the atmosphere for a long time, so even if you hit the magic Stop button and halted all emissions right now we'd still see warming regardless for the next several decades at least - at which point the methane clathrates will all have melted and then we're off to the races

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

Well it can come across that way with how defeatist a lot of you are. And I get it, its dire, its depressing. But saying stuff like "EVs will do nothing" begs the question , then why bother getting one?]

Indeed. You shouldn't get one - the best hint you can do is drive less.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Microplastics posted:

I do, I WFH now and sold my car. But that isn't an option for everyone.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Well it can come across that way with how defeatist a lot of you are. And I get it, its dire, its depressing. But saying stuff like "EVs will do nothing" begs the question , then why bother getting one?

'Do something' and 'buy an electric vehicle' are not synonymous.

I think as much as anything, all these little things we do (or are aware of being done, or at least are being talked about) are valuable in that they make people feel better. To continue my earlier metaphor - palliative care is inherently worthwhile, even if it isn't curative.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Microplastics posted:

The only real way to drive less for most people is to work fewer days.

The solution to climate change is not individual action anyway. Like the whole carbon footprint thing is basically a scam by oil companies, BP to be exact. It was incredibly successful in reframing combating climate change to somehting between the consumer and the climate. Under this world view they implanted in us inception style, your choices in stopping climate change are limited to your choices as a consumer. Moving the goalposts away from the fossil fuel companies and other huge corporations who are responsible for the majority of emissions.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

that cruise ship thing is nuts, i had no idea. you could wipe out countries worth of emissions just by getting rid of them?

it's a catchy concept, too. you could campaign about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the lifetime emissions cost of a Neptune anti-cruise ship anti-ship cruise missile against that of a cruise ship?

Barry Foster posted:

It's like we have stage four liver cancer and we're not only refusing chemo and radiotherapy, we're still drinking a bottle of voddy a day.
I mean for someone that far gone stopping the alcohol intake would just mean an even more horrible death, so the only people who would try would be doing it for moralist rather than humane reasons. What does that equate to analogy wise?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've got to say, all the sensible grownups tut-tutting about the idea of a mass movement of people simply irresponsibly stopping paying their energy bills has me more convinced than ever that it's an excellent idea.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What's the lifetime emissions cost of a Neptune anti-cruise ship anti-ship cruise missile against that of a cruise ship?

I mean for someone that far gone stopping the alcohol intake would just mean an even more horrible death, so the only people who would try would be doing it for moralist rather than humane reasons. What does that equate to analogy wise?

I think it means it's a pretty imperfect analogy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

roomtone posted:

it's a catchy concept, too. you could campaign about it.

i have been for years

my idea is to rename them all the diarrhea princess and to compel people who have paid for a holiday on them to wear a badge that says

pre:
i learned to line dance 
on the diarrhea princess

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I was on a placement at a decentralised power networks research centre a few years ago, just doing little routine things to reduce the work load of the actual phd-level brain geniouses. One of the main projects at that time was a flywheel battery, "oh cool" says me. Work on it for a while, then find out it's a project entirely funded by the US Department of Defense cus they want to use it as the power supply for a naval railgun (flywheels have extremely rapid discharge, you can dump the whole battery in milliseconds). Find out a bit more about it and "Yes, the DoD has been good to the centre recently, we're hoping to take on many more projects with them in the years to come! Please get in touch with us when you've finished your course, we'd be lucky to have you" etc. Needless to say I did not go back. Very disheartening

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've got to say, all the sensible grownups tut-tutting about the idea of a mass movement of people simply irresponsibly stopping paying their energy bills has me more convinced than ever that it's an excellent idea.

Absolutely this. Between EiE and DPUK, and the resurgent TU movement more generally with figures like Ward, Dempsey and Lynch getting more airtime, I am feeling some tiny modicum of short-term hope. Or at least a sense that The Descent won't just be a horrendous grind - god, we might actually go out with a fight!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
just search my post history for "diarrhea princess": click the post history button under my post and then key into the search-box on the screen of your home computer "diarrhea princess" and then click the search button

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

With how much they are rising by we don't need organised action. People not paying is going to be the outcome of a lot of people literally being unable to pay.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 10, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't think i used any other spellings of diarrhea because i can never remember which way around the vowels go

i once heard that's a phenomenon with people who are used to germanic languages and i like that theory because the alternative is just being a bit thick i suppose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

I think it means it's a pretty imperfect analogy.
I think it works in that a lot of the 'green moralism' we've seen from the corporate and political side would mostly mean making things worse for the poorest to put things off by a trivial amount.

crispix posted:

just search my post history for "diarrhea princess": click the post history button under my post and then key into the search-box on the screen of your home computer "diarrhea princess" and then click the search button
Princess Dioralyte would not have stood for this

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cookie Cutter posted:

I was on a placement at a decentralised power networks research centre a few years ago, just doing little routine things to reduce the work load of the actual phd-level brain geniouses. One of the main projects at that time was a flywheel battery, "oh cool" says me. Work on it for a while, then find out it's a project entirely funded by the US Department of Defense cus they want to use it as the power supply for a naval railgun (flywheels have extremely rapid discharge, you can dump the whole battery in milliseconds). Find out a bit more about it and "Yes, the DoD has been good to the centre recently, we're hoping to take on many more projects with them in the years to come! Please get in touch with us when you've finished your course, we'd be lucky to have you" etc. Needless to say I did not go back. Very disheartening

It sucks but the US military have funded a LOT of inventions.
MRI machines, microchips, barcodes, GPS, the Internet. All invented in the effort to kill things more efficiently.

Just think what we could invent if we had the will power to fund general science on the same scale.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

the alternative is just being a bit thick i suppose

no you're aiming for mostly solid

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

I do, I WFH now and sold my car. But that isn't an option for everyone.

While the world is dying people are going to be driving past in Teslas telling us to cheer up and smile more, that's because they don't understand what is happening.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. Again, not to be too black pilled, but it's essentially too late already. It's like we have stage four liver cancer and we're not only refusing chemo and radiotherapy, we're still drinking a bottle of voddy a day. Could a miracle occur and we survive? Sure. Is it likely? No.

I've been spending a lot of time actively working on various ways to come to terms with this, to try and face the End with some sort of equanimity and dignity. I have good days and bad ones. I try not to think about it all the time, but I think it's ultimately easier to face the truth rather than try to ignore it.

Humanity's got real good odds at surviving, and we'd not have decent odds of destroying life on earth if we tried our best.

Problem is every wasted day means a lot of mouths we can no longer feed.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So much of the fight against climate change is couched in lies, and red herrings. Like the whole carbon neutral by 2050 thing. Warming will continue for decades after we become neutral. If we became neutral now that might not be enough. So good luck with 2050 I guess. It's just keys being jangled in front of people's faces. A way for capital to keep going just a little bit longer, while people buy a whole new round of poo poo but this time it's marketed to be green.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/rudebwoyben1/status/1557138295959724033?t=0bvw5QJoiyK5WloRklY4Ow&s=19

Bruh

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhatEvil posted:

I don't know where you're getting this "large immobile power units" thing from. They've achieved 160wh/kg with Sodium, which, yes, it's a little short of the ~250wh/kg with lithium, but sodium is also muuuuuuuch cheaper than lithium.

I agree that electric cars are a dead end in some sense, we should be replacing private cars with public transport to the greatest possible extent... but nevertheless, we're getting electric cars. Also talk of "replacing all of the IC engines we have will take x resources"... well yeah, but we already replace all of the cars on earth something like every 12-15 years (the average life span of a private car).

Internal combustion and the energy handling of an electric car require rather a different set of resources. We have the resources for the former (not that we should use them), and we don't have them for the latter, and if we tried to push ahead anyway the supply chains would collapse in very impressive ways.

Also any theoretical upgrades to sodium should be counted in for lithium too, they're not that different. That two thirds of added weight? It matters. Accelerating all that extra weight in real driving matters a lot. Well, unless the battery is stationary.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

This article from the graun about a climate prepper in Germany was amusing:

quote:

Every person who works for a fossil fuel company in any capacity should be tried for genocide. From the kids in the post-room to the CEOs. A few show trials for genocide would go a hell of a long way.” What would be the punishment for genocide? “I think that’s fairly well established."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Britain will recover the economy through research into ways to make bowties spin faster and harder than ever before