Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

a mysterious cloak posted:

Waaiiiit now Mutable can't close until I get Plaits for my non-existent modular setup OMG

Well that one has been looming on the horizon for years and the decision to wind down the operation has been less about chip shortage or commercial viability but due to Émilie’s need to move on to something else (or that’s my interpretation of the situation). It’s a decision that I understand and respect and I’m thankful for all the great modules of theirs that I’ve gotten to use over the years.

In Mutable’s case though you can get most of the modules as DIY versions. Sometimes the clones are even slightly superior compared to the originals. Clouds for instance has various clones that have dedicated knobs/sliders and CV inputs for all the parameters that are hidden beneath a single ”multimode” knob in the original.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That rocks! Also there's something about that stage that makes it feel like you are at a house warming party and I love it.

Thanks! Yeah it was a fun venue. The festival took place at a farmhouse and this stage was in a shed or a garage by a barn. The festival was a very DIY kinda affair but quite ambitious with two evenings/nights of music and other events across 3 or 4 stages. The potluck booze bar was pretty dangerous but thankfully the timing of my gig put some limits to how I used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not in any danger of buying one again, but how does Akai's MPC One product page not have a section where it goes over the built in synth engines and such? It's not even in a footnote as far as I can tell.

OR it's 6:20am and I'm posting before my coffee has had a chance to perk me up, and I missed something staring me right in the face.

I was just looking to see what stuff they've added to the OS between when I sold it and now but I'm not gonna download a fuckin manual to do that :lol:

e: Not that I expect the manual to be up to date, mind.

e2: Oh ok the plugins have their own page. But it's not referenced anywhere on the main MPC One product page. If you cmd-F for "plugin" you get nothing :thumbsup:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I’ll be honest, not that I want it to happen or anything like that but I’ve been thinking this would happen sooner or later. There was just too big a golden era boom of module manufacturers and no way it was going to sustain that ecosystem forever. Still sucks watching it start to happen though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

toadee posted:

I’ll be honest, not that I want it to happen or anything like that but I’ve been thinking this would happen sooner or later. There was just too big a golden era boom of module manufacturers and no way it was going to sustain that ecosystem forever. Still sucks watching it start to happen though.

Def sucks but yeah, it was just boutique pedals again- to an even more niche market. To be honest, without the cheap ucontroller explosion turning so many young makers into embedded developers I don't think it would've even gone as long as it has. There was a Stage II booster of digital modules doing way too much a little bit back there during our synth renaissance rocket burn. Interesting times.~ Wonder what larger players like sweetwater are thinking about the euro they've picked up. All my old ears are dead or retired.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm not in any danger of buying one again, but how does Akai's MPC One product page not have a section where it goes over the built in synth engines and such?

I like em! Epiano has mostly supplanted my usual kurz patch! :v: :retrogames:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

j.peeba posted:

Well that one has been looming on the horizon for years and the decision to wind down the operation has been less about chip shortage or commercial viability but due to Émilie’s need to move on to something else (or that’s my interpretation of the situation). It’s a decision that I understand and respect and I’m thankful for all the great modules of theirs that I’ve gotten to use over the years.

In Mutable’s case though you can get most of the modules as DIY versions. Sometimes the clones are even slightly superior compared to the originals. Clouds for instance has various clones that have dedicated knobs/sliders and CV inputs for all the parameters that are hidden beneath a single ”multimode” knob in the original.

I read a little more about mutable and saw she stopped making stuff 3 years ago too... Oh well. If I ever get around to it a DIY would work - I forgot she released the firmware publicly.

Unrelated: imagine thinking "Man, I wish there was a granular vst that worked just like pigments" and ignoring Efx Fragments the whole time. Because my uh friend did exactly that

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

I read a little more about mutable and saw she stopped making stuff 3 years ago too... Oh well. If I ever get around to it a DIY would work - I forgot she released the firmware publicly.

From a 'build a successful company that transitions from manufacturing to licensing IPs' mutable didn't really pan out, but I can't really think of a successful modern designer who's more prolific (or who's designs are, anyway) than Emilie. There's 3-4 american companies off the top of my head that are doing tweaked and/or cost cutting versions of her stuff as a business model. You can say that about Bob and Don and Alan and Tom and maybe Dave and Serge and Grant (Richter) and Eric and the Roland Corporation as a whole (interesting how much harder it is to find the names behind the System100 stuff than the American counterparts). And like maybe some of those names are a reach but also maybe not, like that's just how thin competition is at the top.

Which is also to say that as long as the code is hosted and the chips are get-able (or the code portable), these things aren't going anywhere.

Startyde posted:

Def sucks but yeah, it was just boutique pedals again- to an even more niche market. To be honest, without the cheap ucontroller explosion turning so many young makers into embedded developers I don't think it would've even gone as long as it has. There was a Stage II booster of digital modules doing way too much a little bit back there during our synth renaissance rocket burn. Interesting times.~ Wonder what larger players like sweetwater are thinking about the euro they've picked up. All my old ears are dead or retired.

I like em! Epiano has mostly supplanted my usual kurz patch! :v: :retrogames:

Well put. I like to imagine things could survive at a 2012-level but also so much enthusiasm around then was people figuring out what to do with 80s chips and stuff like opto-resistors that were cheap and obsolete then and are expensive and still obsolete now. Wonder if theres e.g. enough orders to sustain Alfa (minus their other, more local concerns...) absent STM churning stuff out on like a 2016 level.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There are huge disruptions in global logistics and manufacturing that have essentially wiped out the systems that manufacturers have depended on up to now. Many will not find a way to keep operating without those systems in place. The hope is that some semblance of a new or at least partially patched back together system will eventually develop, and there can be something closer to stability in the supply chain that can support a business model of some kind. At least with MI, the IP isn't stuck in some kind of litigation hell nightmare. It is blessedly open to be used in the future.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

There are huge disruptions in global logistics and manufacturing that have essentially wiped out the systems that manufacturers have depended on up to now.

Yes... and no. TI and STM type disruptions, sure. If you have a factory and you're just waiting for the right semiconductors, I see the hope.

Stuff like JLCPCB though, w/ pick n place prototype runs that are big enough to be a product launch, are responsible for facilitating a huge amount of new entrants in the last 5 years. Its tough to imagine that coming back even if the microcontrollers do start flowing again. What's significant to me is that these firms allowed people to start a manufacturing company without ever having to set up a supply chain, just by using basically extra cycles in fab houses or container space etc. That wasn't a thing 10, 20 years ago and like everything I know about energy use tells me it would be better for the planet if it never happened again (barring some future tech we don't know about yet)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm a neophyte but polyphonic aftertouch is :stare:

when I read about it I thought "oh cool, like a piano, kind of" without thinking about the very obvious differences

holding a long chord and being able to emphasize or back of individual notes and modulate that up and down, combined with patch chain effects to modify the effect of sustain / vibrato is :stare: just not like any keyboard touching I've ever done

why isn't every velocity sensitive midi kb like this

edit: this manual is 98 pages and I think it will be a month before I understand how to make a patch that's just a polyphonic square wave :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 10, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s fuckin sweet now give me a dang wavestate se korb I will order one today seriously

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

why isn't every velocity sensitive midi kb like this

it's more expensive and is more poo poo to break. also at and especially poly at just devour midi bandwidth. also there aren't, or at least weren't, many synths that supported it, so there's also the chicken and egg thing. like microtonality, no one implements it because no one wants it because no one implements it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been playing vintage Sega games and it’s giving me inspiration to make chiptune beeps.

This is from 1994 and it slaps so hard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8G40yhxNQ

The Yamaha chip they put in these was so neat.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’ve been playing vintage Sega games and it’s giving me inspiration to make chiptune beeps.

Check out the streets of rage 3 soundtrack, it's literally just detroit technology re-interpereted through 90s fm.

https://youtu.be/kRrf-WxRsgs

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Funny enough I was trying to port some sounds from the Genesis over to my Digitone and... well it isn't going great. Even beyond the grittiness on the YM2612, the DN's 8 algorithms are for the most part different than what's on the '12, and it throws me off.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

field balm posted:

detroit technology

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Rolo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjhWiv-7Uc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Funny enough I was trying to port some sounds from the Genesis over to my Digitone and... well it isn't going great. Even beyond the grittiness on the YM2612, the DN's 8 algorithms are for the most part different than what's on the '12, and it throws me off.

This is always what screwed me up about learning FM. Once the tutorials get past "the modulator changes the carrier" they dive into specific sound design and unless you got the exact same hardware they have you can't follow along. Something else, such as the algorithms or the envelopes, are implemented just different enough that you can't get the same sound.

It gets better over a zillion iterations because you start to figure it out on your own but it's annoying there's no one size fits all solutions.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Google Butt posted:

Welp just unboxed my opsix, hosed screen out of the box.. max brightness.

Coolnezzz posted:

Uggh that sucks.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about this issue. A commenter "James" over at Synthtopia said similar things and experienced a similar issue (unless that's you Google Butt) here: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/08/01/korg-opsix-altered-fm-synthesizer-now-available-for-330-was-750/#comment-1460163

As of earlier today mine hadn't shipped yet per Reverb, so I'm just gonna wait and see what happens...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

minidracula posted:

Yeah, I'm a little worried about this issue. A commenter "James" over at Synthtopia said similar things and experienced a similar issue (unless that's you Google Butt) here: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/08/01/korg-opsix-altered-fm-synthesizer-now-available-for-330-was-750/#comment-1460163

As of earlier today mine hadn't shipped yet per Reverb, so I'm just gonna wait and see what happens...

Not me, but Ive counted double digit failures across various threads on these relatively niche forums. Still radio silent on my refund request..

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Dumping in-channel stock or already fixed units as refurb sure would be a way to clear out problematic part bin but that'd be lovely to do silently :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

This is so cool. I wish I had the time and determination to do something fun with AT2 because it does a lot of cool stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhPBTIc-dwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY5OmeasETs

etc etc

I know it's not specifically chiptune in the sense you're talking about, but.. yeah, those Yamaha chips were *chefkiss*

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh that makes me want an M8, thank goodness I can’t get one.

Playing through these games is making sense out of my friend who grew up on the Genesis, got the MegaFM as an adult and won’t stop playing with it. I’ve posted it here before but it’s an FM synth with 2 YM2612 chips per unit and I adore how it sounds in the right hands.

He basically records a ton of patterns off of this onto a google drive we share so I can take them and play on top of it with my OP-1 and Moog. It’s a really neat way to unblock creativity, starting with something already made without my brain being involved.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'd been using my no-longer-existing OP-1 mostly as drums for jamming lately, and I am not real happy to think about moving back to the Electribe MKII I have (and should probably just sell at this point), so I started messing with drum patches on the 0coast to some success. My timing sucks here but this was all just hand sync between playing a keyboard and then using a KP3 to fake 4-channel polyphony, I think I'll be generally able to work with this. There's some nice drum patch setups I've found for the mother32, as well, so maybe I'll set those as bass/kick and just let the beatstep run drum lines.

Really, really wishing I'd bought a keystep pro instead of a beatstep pro at this point, but it was 5 years ago and hey this way I probably eventually end up with both.

(video is just a still image from another video that I stole this patch from, to be clear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gze13D15H4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FM is beautiful.

https://youtu.be/URWNqs7FEXA

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

god drat it now I'm looking at chiptune gear and not working

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

minidracula posted:

I stumbled on a youtube video yesterday which linked to a Modwiggler post saying this is super common and apparently all the ones that came out of the California warehouse potentially have this screen issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Going to lol hard if this was all a ploy to dump defective stock.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol, the software demo for the wavestate only works for 15 minutes before shutting off forever and asking for money. I barely had time to figure out how to change patches on it lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

god drat it now I'm looking at chiptune gear and not working

VCV has some pretty good vintage chip emulations if you don't mind doing it all in software.

Or build an m8 headless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgwE8ar_9s

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

lol, the software demo for the wavestate only works for 15 minutes before shutting off forever and asking for money. I barely had time to figure out how to change patches on it lol

You have to close it and re-open it to reset the timer

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

xzzy posted:

VCV has some pretty good vintage chip emulations if you don't mind doing it all in software.

Or build an m8 headless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgwE8ar_9s
Was going to mention this. A lot of modules listed as oscillators emulating various videogame sound chips are actually full voices with multiple oscillators and integrated envelopes and vcas. There was even a module that is just the stereo multitap delay from the snes.

And I always like to mention beepbox.co
It handles chiptune sounds pretty good. Astoundingly well, if you compare to many other websites.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pollyanna posted:

Going to lol hard if this was all a ploy to dump defective stock.

I'm going to "lol all the way to the refund page"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day all they'd be out is time and frustration since it's clearly defective on arrival and prime candidate for a return.

I'd be pissed though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hahahah that is so lovely, i didnt realize korg was that kind of company

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

some kinda jackal posted:

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day all they'd be out is time and frustration since it's clearly defective on arrival and prime candidate for a return.

I'd be pissed though.

yeah I would have preferred to have a working opsix, but gently caress it I guess. Just got my return label at least

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm a little unclear on the actual store, wasn't actually following the discussion before, apologies. Were these from Korg directly and were they listed as new? Do they come with any kind of warranty?

Like is calling Korg and being all "yo guess what you sold me a bum please fix it" an option?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Coolnezzz posted:

I stumbled on a youtube video yesterday which linked to a Modwiggler post saying this is super common and apparently all the ones that came out of the California warehouse potentially have this screen issue.

Mine came from a California warehouse and the screen is fine. This does seem like a sketchy rollout though.

Some redditor got 100 bucks in reverb credit from their order being cancelled: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/wl1vhj/cancelled_opsix_credits_from_reverb/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im bummed that i didn't hear about that deal until it's over, even knowing about korg being lovely and dumping defective stock. i'd roll those dice every time

i should've paid more attention to this thread! :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also per reddit, it sounds like Korg is replying to either send back for refund or they'll honour warranty claims for repair at authorized centres, so if you really want a cheap opsix sounds like they can still repair the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if they're paying shipping on the warranty claims and all, then they're not even being lovely, really imo