Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

His Divine Shadow posted:

The only real way to drive less for most people is to work fewer days.

The solution to climate change is not individual action anyway. Like the whole carbon footprint thing is basically a scam by oil companies, BP to be exact. It was incredibly successful in reframing combating climate change to somehting between the consumer and the climate. Under this world view they implanted in us inception style, your choices in stopping climate change are limited to your choices as a consumer. Moving the goalposts away from the fossil fuel companies and other huge corporations who are responsible for the majority of emissions.

I realise you live in the arse end of nowhere in a Finnish forest but most people don't. Public transport is a realistic alternative to driving for most people who don't rely in work from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If unhinging your critics is how you win, how come Corbyn didn't win?

Obvious answer, because Boris unhinged his critics even more.

We need a Liz Truss of the Left.

(His wiki page is like chugging half a bottle of brain polish)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

I realise you live in the arse end of nowhere in a Finnish forest but most people don't. Public transport is a realistic alternative to driving for most people who don't rely in work from home.

I'm interested in solutions that work regardless of your location though and reducing the hours worked for people would have positive knock on effects on the climate in that it would depress economic activity, consumption and growth.

We should work less, travel less (except bike or foot), spend & buy less. Spend more of our time just relaxing, walking, hobbies, whatever. Only reason we still have to work 8 hours 5 days a week is because all the wealth & productivity gains goes to the top 1% and we're basically treated since childhood to become consumer drones and associate consumption with positive things.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The answer is remote control (sexy?) robot avatars.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"The country's main left wing party needs to remove all traces of the Left from itself, no matter how 'soft' or 'centrist'. I was paid a large amount of money to write this astonishing drivel."

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I also have spells where I get into very dark and hopeless moods about climate change, ecosystem collapse and so on.

But then this tweet made me genuinely lol:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1557025583162351617?t=Y5R1ylh2W5FDnKSyEYrg4Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/stercusuk/status/1557135650243190789?t=9Kkf4iV8Il1JjCvhq5Vp7Q&s=19

Maybe this is what Charles Moore was so scared about, after all?

Oct 4, 2005

My dad buys the FT, he tells me its the least biased paper.

Last time he forced a copy into my hands it had an article saying Hillary Clinton is part of the 'radical left'.

I put it in the bin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have you seen the other papers?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

roomtone posted:

that cruise ship thing is nuts, i had no idea. you could wipe out countries worth of emissions just by getting rid of them?

it's a catchy concept, too. you could campaign about it.
It's extra depressing because you could show them all the evidence in the world and the kind of twats who go on cruises would still just say "Yes, but I want to."

It's like everyone I know with an SUV. They know the figures, they know exactly what they're doing to the environment, but it's different because they need one for the kids stuff, or work, or whatever. Individualism is a blight.

And if you tried to close even the biggest offenders you'd get the culture warriors in the conservative party howling about the woke left destroying traditional british cruises for being named after the queen.

If you imagine the environment as a field, it's like being told to pick up your litter after a picnic by a guy tipping open barrels of chemical waste out the back of an industrial tiller.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, an organic farmer.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Mega Comrade posted:

Well it can come across that way with how defeatist a lot of you are. And I get it, its dire, its depressing. But saying stuff like "EVs will do nothing" begs the question , then why bother getting one?

This image is fairly misleading imo. That’s for sulphur dioxide emissions. That’s not a major contributor I was aware of but I googled it and the first result states sulphur dioxide is not a direct greenhouse gas contributor but “contributes to aerosol formation which can either warm (through absorption of solar radiation on dark particles) or cool (from forming cloud droplets and reflecting radiation) the atmosphere”. So they’re bad, yes, but that’s potentially more because of their CO2 emissions which the graph doesn’t even mention.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

1965917 posted:

Last time he forced a copy into my hands it had an article saying Hillary Clinton is part of the 'radical left'.

I put it in the bin.

He never said it was unbiased but only relative to all the rest... technically correct. :shrug:

Still haven't bought a paper since Milly Dowler; quite possibly the sanest choice in my life so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another in the ever-expanding genre of 'bleak lol at Labour':

https://twitter.com/solhugheswriter/status/1556897683654283265?s=21&t=2CfmlHTD1U7fD37wBjduig

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's like everyone I know with an SUV.

Whining about SUVs is like tapping a gunman on the shoulder and condescendingly telling them they should really be using a knife.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Utility vehicles have a better case for keeping around, as long are they are actually being used for that case. A full on 4x4 can get to places a train or plane can't. But what does a Ford Mondeo do that can't be done better with proper urban design?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Utility vehicles have a better case for keeping around, as long are they are actually being used for that case. A full on 4x4 can get to places a train or plane can't. But what does a Ford Mondeo do that can't be done better with proper urban design?

Well the market already solved that one. Mondeo has been discontinued due to customer preference for SUVs.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well the market already solved that one. Mondeo has been discontinued due to customer preference for SUVs.

The invisible hand has done it again, all the yummy mummies will be popping down to the hairdressers in their RAV4 but they'll use a paper straw so it's ok.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

i have been for years

my idea is to rename them all the diarrhea princess and to compel people who have paid for a holiday on them to wear a badge that says

pre:
i learned to line dance 
on the diarrhea princess

My mum was booked to go on that particular cruise as a present from my wealth brother, Tory Boy. But as COVID started to be acknowledged as creeping out of China, she got cold feet and cancelled. Fortunately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1965917 posted:

I put it in the bin.

The FT IS the least poo poo paper, in fairness to yer da. But its opinion pages are still opinion pages. Of course Janan Ganesh writes shite, he worked for Policy Exchange. Don't read opinion pages.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ACTION WITHOUT SOME IDEA BEHIND THE ACTION IS IMBECILIC. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo? WHY IS LABOUR RUN BY CRETINS WHO SUFFERED FROM OXYGEN DEPRIVATION?

Seriously man, I swear to god Labour are trying to drive me insane with this poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

forkboy84 posted:

ACTION WITHOUT SOME IDEA BEHIND THE ACTION IS IMBECILIC. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo? WHY IS LABOUR RUN BY CRETINS WHO SUFFERED FROM OXYGEN DEPRIVATION?

Seriously man, I swear to god Labour are trying to drive me insane with this poo poo

the red dragon showing phillip seymour hoffman a slideshow of kier starmer quotes

DO YOU SEE

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If I wanted to listen to some dickheads idiotic opinion I'd just go on Twitter or for dinner at my sisters.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

1965917 posted:

I put it in the bin.

To be fair it's analysis of capitalism can be the most honest because the mechanic needs to know how a car works. It's comment pages are absolutely unhinged fascist insanity, like all newspapers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We need action, not ideas; decisions, not action; and always twirling, twirling towards the gutter

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whining about SUVs is like tapping a gunman on the shoulder and condescendingly telling them they should really be using a knife.

SUVs are just a perfect symbol for excess and everything wrong with capitalism. And its not all just about climate change. If climate change didn't exist we would still have the rampant health problems that pollution from cars cause in cities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55352247

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It seems like it would be very easy to say something about what's going on? Or have some sort of plan? Or point out that the government is absolutely useless?

Starmer's last tweet was about the 2022 Euro final. Nobody on the front bench has anything to say or do. Paying attention to Labour is basically the same as sitting down in front of the Brain of Mensis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At least the brain will make your head explode in fairly short order.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Starmer got checked into the Priory for an alcahol detox, it's true!

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1557236449786957824?s=19

Discuss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

ACTION WITHOUT SOME IDEA BEHIND THE ACTION IS IMBECILIC.
It's also the prime mover behind some of the dumbest and most self-destructive ideologies on earth:

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.
2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.
3. Literature has up to now magnified pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt movements of aggression, feverish sleeplessness, the double march, the perilous leap, the slap and the blow with the fist.
4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.
5. We want to sing the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.
6. The poet must spend himself with warmth, glamour and prodigality to increase the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.
7. Beauty exists only in struggle. There is no masterpiece that has not an aggressive character. Poetry must be a violent assault on the forces of the unknown, to force them to bow before man.
8. We are on the extreme promontory of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we have already created eternal, omnipresent speed.
9. We want to glorify war - the only cure for the world - militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of the anarchists, the beautiful ideas which kill, and contempt for woman.
10. We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice.
11. We will sing of the great crowds agitated by work, pleasure and revolt; the multi-colored and polyphonic surf of revolutions in modern capitals: the nocturnal vibration of the arsenals and the workshops beneath their violent electric moons: the gluttonous railway stations devouring smoking serpents; factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts flung across the diabolic cutlery of sunny rivers: adventurous steamers sniffing the horizon; great-breasted locomotives, puffing on the rails like enormous steel horses with long tubes for bridle, and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propeller sounds like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds.

Labour: This but :effort: and the train is late

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*slamming door to the thread open* I don't post for ONE day and you fuckers doomerpilled about climate change I see

also His Divine Shadow even if you don't like modern cars there are services to convert older models to electric for those who prefer the older car bodies

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Discuss.

Uh, shota is specifically about underage boys so is that dude submitting his warrant for arrest in an academic journal

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Collecting my doctorate for my paper on jacking it to sonic/tails fanfic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's cool that individual action is pointless, means I can finally drive around in my coal-burning car, thanks UKMT thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Discuss.

You will be shocked to find out this turd has a degree in the most worthless & damaging course known to humanity, the PPE

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Uh, shota is specifically about underage boys so is that dude submitting his warrant for arrest in an academic journal

I always read that as shoto. So think of street fighter.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Apaprently he won Best Director at Kyiv Film Festival for his film about it.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"Ideas"? Those sound like *thinking* words.

The longer I look at that tweet the angrier I get, it's like they've decided thinking about things doesn't triangulate well, it's too "metropolitan liberal elite". Every time I think I'm inventing a person to be mad at, that person turns out to exist in the Starmer camp and be even dumber and more infuriating than I'd imagined

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I always read that as shoto. So think of street fighter.

Casually saying you prefer shotacon at a Street Fighter convention an wondering why everyone sees you with visual stink lines.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Casually saying you prefer shotacon at a Street Fighter convention an wondering why everyone sees you with visual stink lines.

It depends. If the convention also allows Smash bros fans then you wouldn't be out of place at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/KeithKeith83/status/1557257878221750272

Weren't the Tories pushing for less funding for art degrees just this week? Labour trying to push further right then the cons again.