Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Quick question: which is the best Great Rune? Or is it okay to run Godrick's for the +5 to all to reduce investment in other stats?

Godricks is superior to every other great rune proving exactly how much of a wuss he was that it didn't help him for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Quick question: which is the best Great Rune? Or is it okay to run Godrick's for the +5 to all to reduce investment in other stats?

I only ever ran Godricks or Morgotts really. The others seemed fine but not as good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Godrick’s is good for everyone and probably the best option for the large majority of the game, Radahn’s good if you’re super high vigor/mind/end, Morgott’s too if you’re super high vigor, Rykard’s is surprisingly strong in dungeons but useless against most bosses, Mohg’s does…uh something for invaders. Malenia’s is Bloodborne mode and kind of sucks

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Nice to know I only have to invest 1-3 levels to use the ungabunga STR/INT weapons then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

godrick's rune is good until you start hitting the breakpoints you want with your stats. radahn's rune starts giving you more hp from it's percent bonus than the +5 points you get from godricks around ~38-40 vigor, and morgott's rune gives you as much health as having 60 natural vigor if you have at least 43 vigor.

malenia's could be neat if it didn't come at the very end of the game and didn't cripple your flask guzzling (which seems like an unnecessary penalty, it's not like rallying is an unending font of health points)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Actually the optimal play is to never use a great rune because you might need those 60 rune arcs later!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was strange that beating a very hard boss gave me what was easily recognized as the worst rune in the game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have a sneaking suspicion that originally it might've worked like malenia's actual healing, i.e. restore health on every hit, and realizing that was insanely powerful from tried to counterbalance it with the flask penalty, and it was still way too powerful so they just turned it into bloodborne rally, but they forgot or didn't care enough to remove the flask penalty

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like I used Morgott's on bosses where I really just wanted to have a gigantic health bar (like Malenia) and used Godricks on most everything else.

Honestly I usually forget to even use rune arcs unless a boss is owning me a lot. I should probably use them more than I do because they last until you die so if you're not dying that much you're getting huge value out of them.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Godrick's rune is the worst because i forget about the endurance boost after I die and end up fat rolling at the most inopportune time.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Looking at a clip it feels like Bloodhound Step only really got nerfed in the sense that you can't dash into a corner for 6 minutes as three players swing at you forever. It's still good for any kind of normal, PvE use since there aren't many situations where you'd need to use it dozens of time in succession.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like it’s still a good gtfo move for when Malenia winds up her sekiro attack

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epic High Five posted:

Any reports back on the BHS/ROB nerfs? I only use the former but basically just in place of a dodge roll sometimes which means I'm timing it and not relying on the expanded iframes, not because I'm good but because whenever I tried spamming it I'd always end up jammed up in a corner where I'd instantly get dogpiled and killed. No shortage of fun ashes for a big ol hammer tho and it'll be a good excuse to break my habit of rolling too early a lot of the time. BHS into a powerstanced attack with two hammers is just too funny to give up entirely, tho I think not many people use it to get more aggressive

BHS nerf felt to me like “you need to have light equip load for this to be worth using now, but it is still very worth using at light load”.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Godrick's is hands down the best rune imo, it's kinda ridiculous how broadly and universally useful it is. The one that gives more max health is maybe better if you have a fuckton of vigor and want to be insanely tanky, and Mohg's is better if you want to be a dick during invasions, but apart from that... yeah. +5 to every stat is a bonus to literally everything you do, why wouldn't you use that

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Because I ran out of rune arcs

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Godrick's is hands down the best rune imo, it's kinda ridiculous how broadly and universally useful it is. The one that gives more max health is maybe better if you have a fuckton of vigor and want to be insanely tanky, and Mohg's is better if you want to be a dick during invasions, but apart from that... yeah. +5 to every stat is a bonus to literally everything you do, why wouldn't you use that

Godrick’s starts to fall off once you’re into NG+ levels (150-200+) and hitting multiple soft caps. At that point, Radahn/Morgott will give substantially more stats and become the clear winners. (Radahn’s is better if you like/want more FP and stamina, otherwise Morgott)

All of the others mostly suck; Mohg’s has some niche use if you’re running a bleed build and use a bleed summon, and as the only tune that works in PVP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the vibe that Godrick's Great Rune, from the item description, is just your basic ticket of entry to being a Lord. The more impressive demigods have that plus their own unique powers granted by their deeper understanding of and connection to the Elden Ring. Hence why you need two Great Runes to enter Leyendell, and he didn't have a seat at the table.

It's a pity that the game doesn't allow you to stack two Great Runes like that, but then, you are a weedy little Tarnished.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Any opinions on Radagon Icon? I've played several characters that use spells and still can't decide if it's worth a slot or not lol. I didn't notice much if any difference with incantations but it seems a little bit noticeable with sorceries. Enough to use instead of turtle talisman or a damage boosting one? i dunno

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Someone did a break down a while back and if I remember correctly it does have an impact but its hard to detect because it doesnt affect the initial wind up for a spell only subsequent casts?

Im probably misremembering

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Goddamn Flame of the Redmanes is loving stupid on my Giant Crusher. EVERYTHING staggers in 2 or 3 casts except a couple of dragons. I wasn’t really sure what this playthrough would be but I never used that, Ruins Greatsword or Radahn’s sword(s) in other runs and I missed out. I also want to use the beast jaw.

I think clearing mausoleums with the star scourge attack is my favorite too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

Any opinions on Radagon Icon? I've played several characters that use spells and still can't decide if it's worth a slot or not lol. I didn't notice much if any difference with incantations but it seems a little bit noticeable with sorceries. Enough to use instead of turtle talisman or a damage boosting one? i dunno

Don’t bother unless you’re already loading up on dex. If you hit the casting speed cap with natural+the talisman, you can get like a 15% speed increase on some spells, which id say is worth it for something slamming a boss with Moonblade combo. Definitely don’t take it instead of the graven talismans.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

Goddamn Flame of the Redmanes is loving stupid on my Giant Crusher. EVERYTHING staggers in 2 or 3 casts except a couple of dragons. I wasn’t really sure what this playthrough would be but I never used that,

FotR is ABSURDLY good. You can do an entire run based on it and drat near crush the entire game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Don’t bother unless you’re already loading up on dex. If you hit the casting speed cap with natural+the talisman, you can get like a 15% speed increase on some spells, which id say is worth it for something slamming a boss with Moonblade combo. Definitely don’t take it instead of the graven talismans.

Yeah I'm not planning on loading up on dex. Mostly just dumping points into int. I'm doing a shield/staff melee mage with Carian Sword/Rapier as backup. I'll probably end up with something like 40-50 vigor, 60-80 int, 25 mind, and the rest is kinda not super relevant. I suppose I could load up on dex as an afterthought, but there doesn't seem to be a need.

For Talismans I've been running so far Graven Mass + Golden Scarab and I'm rotating the third spot. Maybe Green Turtle would be my best bet since blocking plus spamming slicer is a stamina hungry style. Fourth slot would eventually be probably another damage boosting slot unless I decide to go heavier on armor but Carian Knight armor or Spellblade set is probably what I will end up with. Right now running Carian Knight armor.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

haha oh man co-op is so good now, pretty sure I'm getting called into NG+ games too, I'm level 180ish and beat the game and just got a stormveil summon

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's a great way to make sure you always have a generous supply of rune arcs. I lit up my tree-signal a few times while exploring the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds, and ended up chewing through a bunch of easy bosses in the caves and dungeons around Leyendell. Range is impressive, too - I even got summoned to the Minor Erdtree in Dragonbarrow once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Radagon’s Icon adds 30 virtual Dex to your casting speed, which is quite significant if you look at side-by-side comparisons. It reasonably lets you hit the 60 Dex casting speed softcap within a single playthrough and it’s the best possible option outside of the graven-stones and magic amplification talismans unless you’re using very charge-heavy spells. I wouldn’t ditch it as a pure caster.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ginette Reno posted:

It’s pretty situational but can be very good. I’d probably classify it as a PvP focused talisman because the speed increase is much less useful as a “increase my dps, get more spells out faster” thing and more of a “this changes the timing just slightly enough to let me roll catch or find someone off guard” thing.

If you combine it with the cast speed staff (Azur I think?) it gets you to the cast speed cap without any dex investment which is kinda useful if you are working around a certain matchmaking bracket.

Like others have said, it doesn’t influence the spell animation in a super intuitive way and on some spells cast speed is really good but on some it’s basically useless.

The only build I use it on is a pure sorcerer, almost entirely because of Carian piercer. It changes the timing up juuust enough that I feel like I can land it much more consistently and it’s such an important part of your kit that it’s worth dedicating a whole talisman to that IMO.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

causticBeet posted:

It’s pretty situational but can be very good. I’d probably classify it as a PvP focused talisman because the speed increase is much less useful as a “increase my dps, get more spells out faster” thing and more of a “this changes the timing just slightly enough to let me roll catch or find someone off guard” thing.

If you combine it with the cast speed staff (Azur I think?) it gets you to the cast speed cap without any dex investment which is kinda useful if you are working around a certain matchmaking bracket.

Like others have said, it doesn’t influence the spell animation in a super intuitive way and on some spells cast speed is really good but on some it’s basically useless.

The only build I use it on is a pure sorcerer, almost entirely because of Carian piercer. It changes the timing up juuust enough that I feel like I can land it much more consistently and it’s such an important part of your kit that it’s worth dedicating a whole talisman to that IMO.

Yeah my build is more of a melee mage and I've been experimenting with it a little bit. It is noticeable on Carian Greatsword and it is especially noticeable on Rock Sling. I do not notice it much if at all on Carian Slicer.

I actually equipped it to use against Renalla because that slightly faster Rock Sling cast made it easier to cast--->dodge--->cast--->dodge. So I guess that was at least one scenario where it definitely did help. But I don't know how much it generally does?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Human beings are inherently pretty bad at naturally intuiting animation speeds without a frame of reference, fortunately there are tons of side-by-side comparisons that you can watch on youtube. A lot of it depends on what spells you are using, but in summary: Radagon's Icon is pretty useful with 0 Dex, peaks when you get to about 30 Dex, and is much less useful beyond that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

But even if you don't want to study animation frames, think about all the times in this game you got staggered to death by some lovely little goblin instead of getting off a Carian Greatsword and how much you would give for anything that could make it come out even a little bit faster. A dead sorc does no damage!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Flytrap posted:

FotR is ABSURDLY good. You can do an entire run based on it and drat near crush the entire game.

Facts. There was a stretch on my FAI/DEX playthrough where my go to move was just spamming FotR on my guardians swordspear (flame art infused) to get a stagger and critical.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Wamsutta posted:

Facts. There was a stretch on my FAI/DEX playthrough where my go to move was just spamming FotR on my guardians swordspear (flame art infused) to get a stagger and critical.

Yeah this is basically how my pyromancer build has gone. FotR until the stagger, then run up and snap sparks in their face for stupid damage.

It kind of feels bad how strong it is honestly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I will never feel bad for easily killing all the lovely little fuckers in this game. gently caress them!!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
1.07 review:

- PvP is so much better now

- I will pay $500 for a DLC that just removes the imps. I should not be able to own Malenia but get cheapshot ganked by these turds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

1.07 review:

- PvP is so much better now

- I will pay $500 for a DLC that just removes the imps. I should not be able to own Malenia but get cheapshot ganked by these turds.

Theyre so annoying! Yes I know there's a second one hiding behind the doorway and I'm prepared to deal with their bullshit wait why am I still dead

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Imps aren't bad if you have a decent shield. Just free guard counters.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Imps aren't bad if you have a decent shield. Just free guard counters.

Oh yeah they were a nuisance at best in my strength runs. But I'm trying to piece together a low-level heavy spear build for baby PvP and they are the absolute worst if you're not a tank / sniper.

They're just chewing up my little dex boy in his silk robes.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Mohg isn't the actual boss of Subterranean shunning grounds. Nor are the giga-omen with 5-attack stun combo.

The pipe section with 10+ imps, that's the true boss of that tarnished hellhole

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Goatson posted:

Mohg isn't the actual boss of Subterranean shunning grounds. Nor are the giga-omen with 5-attack stun combo.

The pipe section with 10+ imps, that's the true boss of that tarnished hellhole

10 imps all clumped together, 3 mega-lobsters, 7 omens, and a Mohg.

It really is just hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you start a new character and go to the first undead tomb that's a short walk away from the church where kale is, the imps can still gently caress you up even after hundreds of hours' worth of experience playing the game. Those fuckers hit hard and can build up bleed status very very fast even through guards.
They're easy mobs if you are on your toes and alert without being complacent, but also very easy to underestimate, I think it's good enemy design.