Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah that's fine. That's the normal way to use force quit?

I am not kidding when I say I can see people using their phone in public and force quitting every app after using them, or cleaning out all running apps every few minutes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I force quit Twitter whenever it asks me to confirm my phone number. tbh I wish the gesture were a bit easier to trigger it takes a few awkward thumb swipes for it to come up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

I am not kidding when I say I can see people using their phone in public and force quitting every app after using them, or cleaning out all running apps every few minutes or so.

Yeah I see this all the time as well.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
people sometimes do unnecessary but harmless things all the time tho. i get that they're using their phone wrong or w/e but honestly who cares.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

When around last year was the iPhone event, starting to gear up for that around now I assume for an October phone release?

Take it with a grain of salt , but current promotions for big red in the US all go until Thursday Sept 8th.

iPhone announcements are pretty much always on a Tuesday , with a Friday pre order, next Friday launch. So in theory with that date that would mean Tues Sept 6th announcement, pre order Friday the 9th, launch Friday the 16th.

It feels early, but possible. Last year the first day to order the iPhone was Friday Sept 17. If I remember right that was preorder , so what I’m posting on preorder being the 9th would be a week ahead of the usual process. Almost every year, preorder is the middle of September.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

people sometimes do unnecessary but harmless things all the time tho. i get that they're using their phone wrong or w/e but honestly who cares.

I don't care and I certainly don't try to tell them not to do it but people are incredibly loving dumb and still do dumb poo poo like force quitting apps in a futile attempt to make their battery last the day (and by futile I mean completely and utterly pointless because outside of actual cases of stuck apps or known issues with battery hogs the phone is doing just fine managing that on it's own)

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I quit apps all the time but it has nothing to do with saving my battery. I just like to keep my poo poo organised the same way I don't leave stuff on my desk I'm not using anymore, quit apps on my laptop that I'm not using anymore, or close tabs in my browser I'm not using anymore :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ArcticZombie posted:

I quit apps all the time but it has nothing to do with saving my battery. I just like to keep my poo poo organised the same way I don't leave stuff on my desk I'm not using anymore, quit apps on my laptop that I'm not using anymore, or close tabs in my browser I'm not using anymore :shrug:

Those don't feel comparable at all, though. They're sorted by most recent first, it organises itself.

Also, force quitting every app is worse for your battery and is making your phone slower for no benefit. Instead of restoring an app from memory, it has to launch the app anew every time.

It's there for when apps get stuck or broken and you literally need to 'force' quit them

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought people force quit apps to free up ram more than save battery. Does it not help with either?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought people force quit apps to free up ram more than save battery. Does it not help with either?

Freeing up RAM for what purpose? The memory is there to facilitate multitasking

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

101 posted:

Freeing up RAM for what purpose? The memory is there to facilitate multitasking

Also the OS will terminate apps when it needs memory.

Force quitting stuff is a fidget spinner.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's definitely possible on some older IOS devices and versions that a RAM-hungry app will crash on launch from OOM, unless you kill every other background app manually then it will work.
I want to say that I haven't run into it since I last used an iPad Air 1 (1GB RAM.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The new battery life indicator just got leaked

Finally, percentage wasn’t granular enough

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In my opinion using the iPhone at all is a foolish waste of time that accomplishes nothing but distracting you from what the iPhone is really for: to admire the Apple logo on the back

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t even see the logo because my case is opaque

I’ve really hosed up

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

It doesn't matter - the RAM is always on, it either gets used or it doesn't, and iOS is smart enough to close any apps still cached in the RAM when it needs to free up more.

If anything, re-opening an app is worse for your battery life - your iPhone uses more CPU to open a new app than it does restoring it from RAM.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I 100% trust Apple engineers to manage my RAM better than me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ArcticZombie posted:

Insane lol.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I like to see a number on the battery indicator because my brain can process it quicker than how much of the little icon is filled. No battery janitoring on my iPhone 8 but I like to see if it's getting low halfway thru the day and might need a top off before I head out to lunch or whatever.

Also, I'm one of those people who apparently doesn't know how to properly use an iPhone because I've been force quitting apps since I got my first one in 2008 and I'm not stopping any time soon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Well you should stop because it’s negatively affecting your battery life and data usage.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Old habits die hard.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
oh yeah well if you say I shouldn’t janitor my battery because quitting apps is hurting my battery isn’t that janitoring my battery

:smugdog:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's developer docs explaining what an app is even allowed to do when in "foreground", "background", and "suspended" modes (almost literally nothing in the latter case, it's just a bunch of code sitting in flash not even using up any CPU cycles)

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/app_and_environment/managing_your_app_s_life_cycle

The OS is designed at the SDK level for apps to go into "suspended" mode and the user never to think about them again

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

oh yeah well if you say I shouldn’t janitor my battery because quitting apps is hurting my battery isn’t that janitoring my battery

:smugdog:

lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I started reading this thread only a few pages ago after buying a 13 pro max. Is this thread always so dumb and pedantic?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I started reading this thread only a few pages ago after buying a 13 pro max. Is this thread always so dumb and pedantic?

Just wait until next month when there’s a million updates of each person posting the status of their iPhone preorder shipment.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I had two geniuses at the fruit store tell me I should be force quitting anything I wasn’t actively using. My faith was shaken.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Glimpse posted:

I had two geniuses at the fruit store tell me I should be force quitting anything I wasn’t actively using.

Looks like it’s official

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Glimpse posted:

I had two geniuses at the fruit store tell me I should be force quitting anything I wasn’t actively using. My faith was shaken.

Some "geniuses" huh???

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Glimpse posted:

All part of the planned obsolescence protocol. They want your battery dying as soon as possible so you bring it in for a $99 swap, or better yet just upgrade the whole thing for only $950.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

blue squares posted:

Just wait until we talk about password managers and haircut trackers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Kramers in*

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT DASHLANE??

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If my Apple TV is on, Podcasts will always try to AirPlay to it by default, even though "Automatically AirPlay to TVs" is set to "Never." Is there some other way to change this that I might be missing? I've never really been in the market for an alternative podcast app, but this is annoying enough for even my very light usage that I'd consider something else! Or perhaps next month's iOS will do something good.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 10, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

blue squares posted:

The iPhone is so perfect there’s nothing left to complain about.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Minidust posted:

If my Apple TV is on, Podcasts will always try to AirPlay to it by default, even though "Automatically AirPlay to TVs" is set to "Never." Is there some other way to change this that I might be missing? I've never really been in the market for an alternative podcast app, but this is annoying enough for even my very light usage that I'd consider something else! Or perhaps next month's iOS will do something good.

i've had a problem with the default podcasts app where it occasionally tries to change the output device from my headphones to the phone's speaker or some other device (if there's one in range) while i'm out running or sometimes just doing vigorous chores around the house. it doesn't happen with music or youtube or anything else.

i'm starting to believe there's some kind of vestigial shake gesture buried deep within the podcasts app that activates sometimes and decides to gently caress with the audio device.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Got gifted an iPhone SE 2020, and I'll say that I'm quite pleased with it - still got a battery health of 95%.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is that the good form factor SE or the lovely one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Is that the good form factor SE or the lovely one?

2020 is the same size as the iPhone 8.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I unironically kinda miss having an 8 Plus. I loved having that huge lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kirios posted:

I unironically kinda miss having an 8 Plus. I loved having that huge lad.

I still have my Jet Black 7 Plus in a drawer somewhere. Good phone, good finish, even if it was mostly worn by the end.