Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Jetée Is better than 12 monkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Batman was a terrible loving movie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Two Princes is a great song.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

thetoughestbean posted:

Goons who refer to things as “win” or “fail” in tyol 2022 are deeply pathetic

As opposed to "winner" and "failure"?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

credburn posted:

As opposed to "winner" and "failure"?

Instead of “good” or “bad”

They’d say “caring about how other people post is fail” which, well, might be true

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's good that long opening credit sequences are coming back to television (and also good that they can usually be skipped in streaming stuff)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If a title screen or sequence on a YouTube lasts more than two seconds I'll just never watch that channel again. If there's a preamble, likewise. I don't need anyone telling me what a Super Mario is before they get to showing me the ten sexiest Super Marios.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but regardless of your opinions on the '80's UK situational comedy, The Young Ones, it is my opinion that more TV shows need to randomly showcase cool bands mid-story.

It's been nearly forty years and I'm still angry it never took off.

The OC and other teen shows of that era did that quite a lot. Usually one of the underaged characters would own a nightclub somehow so you'd have a band on and the episode would grind to a painful halt for a couple of minutes to promote a new single with a few closeups and Marissa saying "I love this band!" [band tbd].

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but regardless of your opinions on the '80's UK situational comedy, The Young Ones, it is my opinion that more TV shows need to randomly showcase cool bands mid-story.

It's been nearly forty years and I'm still angry it never took off.

It's a cult classic and launched the careers of Mayall and Eumundson, I think it got its due

Bottom was better though

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bottom was better though

IS THERE SOMEONE WHO LOOKS AFTER YOU?

although you are of course right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

docbeard posted:

It's good that long opening credit sequences are coming back to television (and also good that they can usually be skipped in streaming stuff)

One of the greatest tricks animes pull is playing the opening theme song at the emotional climax of the show. Western TV really should pick up on that and start doing it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gripweed posted:

One of the greatest tricks animes pull is playing the opening theme song at the emotional climax of the show. Western TV really should pick up on that and start doing it.

rules every single time. gamer thrones would have been an 8/10+ if they had a banger jpop OP and played it for every major character death

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I used to think there was no wrong way to eat corn, but then I saw some people grill corn with the husk on and others grill corn wrapped in foil, and I was bewildered at such injurious behavior.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Two Princes is a great song.

Maybe.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

sassassin posted:

The OC and other teen shows of that era did that quite a lot. Usually one of the underaged characters would own a nightclub somehow so you'd have a band on and the episode would grind to a painful halt for a couple of minutes to promote a new single with a few closeups and Marissa saying "I love this band!" [band tbd].

It's a flimsy one, but the night club set up at least is context for having a band. I don't want context! I want Motorhead cranking out Ace of Spades in the lounge room as the boys run for the train for no god drat discernable reason.

That said, I remember the Flaming Lips appearing on 90210 back in the day. Which was a weird choice.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's a cult classic and launched the careers of Mayall and Eumundson, I think it got its due

Bottom was better though

Oh, I meant the musical non sequitur never took off, not the show.

Personally, I find Bottom a bit hit and miss.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elissimpark posted:

It's a flimsy one, but the night club set up at least is context for having a band. I don't want context! I want Motorhead cranking out Ace of Spades in the lounge room as the boys run for the train for no god drat discernable reason.

That said, I remember the Flaming Lips appearing on 90210 back in the day. Which was a weird choice.

Oh, I meant the musical non sequitur never took off, not the show.

Personally, I find Bottom a bit hit and miss.

Not sure if you know this but the reason for the strange sequitur into music performances was that the producers of the young ones realized they would get a higher budget if the show came under the banner of "variety" rather than just "comedy".

I will never forget being 10 and my dad letting me watch the Ferris Wheel episode of Bottom, looking back its probably my least favorite episode but yeah i definitely have a childhood nostalgia for that show. Could not stand Guest House Paradiso though

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not sure if you know this but the reason for the strange sequitur into music performances was that the producers of the young ones realized they would get a higher budget if the show came under the banner of "variety" rather than just "comedy".

I did know this, but it's a piece of trivia well worth repeating.

The Damned wrote the song for Nasty specifically for the show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Every show should have an anime intro, regardless of japanese or animation status. "X but it's an anime intro" is an evergreen youtube genre.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Sans-serif fonts are just objectively worse than serif fonts. A civilized society should not be confusing I and l

Sans serif fonts are better, but you're right, everyone should only use monospace text

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/alp1111112/status/1556378865643261955?s=21&t=uyQnyARRN8WfCXgVQnLDlQ

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Every show should have an anime intro, regardless of japanese or animation status. "X but it's an anime intro" is an evergreen youtube genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
They should give Trump his twitter account back.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

They should give Trump his twitter account back.

My PHUO: Trump is much funnier when he's a ghost in the wires who occasionally manifests as a burbling toilet or weird noise on a recording than he ever was when he was tweeting nonsense every ten minutes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Given that Trump being on Twitter emboldened his base, he very much should not have his account back

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When people say "if you tell me I can't do something, that means I'm gonna try 10x harder!" Most people see tend to see this as some kind of inspirational quote about that person triumphing over adversity instead of failing to follow the probably accurate advice of multiple observers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

When people say "if you tell me I can't do something, that means I'm gonna try 10x harder!" Most people see tend to see this as some kind of inspirational quote about that person triumphing over adversity instead of failing to follow the probably accurate advice of multiple observers.

I don't think those people actually get told they can't do something. That's just a thing they say to make their story more impressive because they didn't just do something, they also defeated another person.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I don't think those people actually get told they can't do something. That's just a thing they say to make their story more impressive because they didn't just do something, they also defeated another person.

yeah it's just kind of a thing people who like to hear themselves talk say

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Now now, I love hearing myself talk and I've never said that.

I'm saying this out loud right now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

sassassin posted:

Twin Peaks 2017 did really stylishly in uhhhhh 2017

https://youtu.be/nsr-ORwIfMw

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Aug 10, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
twin peaks existence is nice, its sort of like the total opposite of a geordie shore or a love island on the spectrum but both extremes serve to point out the person interested in them is a fool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Twin Peaks is bad, like unwatchable, the original run and the sequel. So bad and boring. "You just have to watch it a few times to-" no gently caress you I got it, it's just bad and boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Twin Peaks is bad, like unwatchable, the original run and the sequel. So bad and boring. "You just have to watch it a few times to-" no gently caress you I got it, it's just bad and boring.

I liked the first season. After that the supernatural stuff starts to become too central and it bores me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Twin Peaks was really enjoyable to watch until it didn't go anywhere. (And back when it first aired we, the audience, didn't know the reason it didn't go anywhere was because they were just writing whatever for each episode and didn't actually have a plot ready, and then just ran out of series.)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
bad is one thing but twin peaks is just pretentious

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's like 1/10th as pretentious as any crime drama on TV today :shrug:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's like 1/10th as pretentious as any crime drama on TV today :shrug:

is it? I happen to have a new episode of NCIS in my line of sight as i type this poo poo post and it seems to be played very straight, Twin Peaks was at least interesting by not feeling like the exact same show we've all seen before but meh, thats not enough to be good

David Lynch is probably the kind of person who looks in the mirror while he wanks just like Axl Rose

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don’t think the show itself is pretentious. The fans that discuss it and Lynch’s work in general sure are though.

Hell, Lynch himself doesn’t seem pretentious at all and seems to react with genuine amusement when people try to explain “why” he did things and he just says stuff like “what? No, I made him wear oven mitts because he looked funny in them”.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"pretentious," like "disrespectful," is a red-flag word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lynch's public persona is the exact opposite of what you might expect if you think he's just some pretentious film nerd. For the past two years he's uploaded one-minute videos to his youtube channel every day with the local weather report in a completely flat affect.