Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Animal posted:

It should be great if all you wanna play is 2D or low poly indie titles and older games. I’m jealous of the OLED screen… c’mon Valve.
At that point get an OLED Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the aya neo air is getting pretty good reviews with one of the biggest features being the oled screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWA9IZNjmi4

Pretty bad battery life though and it’s sure not cheap for 5.5 inch screen.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The switch has a larger screen, better battery life, and half the price lol.

The Air could be ok for emulation but again it kills the battery life.

At default TDP you are looking at about 90 min of battery life.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 10, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The way I use the deck I'd honestly have a hard time using anything that doesn't have the trackpads and paddles, unless you're using it as purely just, an emulation and console port machine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I use the trackpads in so many games, to go without is kind of a yikes. Maybe the next revision will have a better battery and a better screen and we can all chill.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i don't use the trackpads on my deck at all - can't imagine using them to game tbh

lol the neo air might be a tertiary gaming toy to the deck's secondary status. i've been playing persona 5 on the deck using remote play - that's a use case something like this would work better at

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not to game, but I play games and browse the internet and sometimes a trackpad is ideal for doing mouse shenanigans

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

i don't use the trackpads on my deck at all - can't imagine using them to game tbh
Depends on what you're playing, they're a lot better than the joystick for aiming in lots of games. And anything that is not a gamepad native game just needs a mouse sometimes. Plus, binding them as hotkeys is like, at least 24 or more buttons on the thing depending on how you configure it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

shrike82 posted:

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

So it doesn't look like I'm playing Monster Hunter Rise anytime soon:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i tried using the pads once with dragon age inquisition but just found it too fiddly

any recommendations on games that work well with the trackpads?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shrike82 posted:

i tried using the pads once with dragon age inquisition but just found it too fiddly

Inscryption

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Defenistrator posted:

Is there any site that reviews the playability of a steam decks screen? The amount of tiny as f text in games that are verified is getting out of hand here. I'm looking at Disco Elysium specifically.

So I had lots of issues with Fire Emblem Three Houses on my OLED Switch with the text being tiny but I put three hours into disco today with no issues on my deck. There is a setting in options to up the fonts. I believe font size is explicitly one of the things Valve tests for before verifying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm glad Inscryption was the first thing I installed, because it made it so the first thing I did on Deck was deep dive all of the control customization options. Was cool making a game that seemed barely playable on deck a good experience in just a couple of minutes of fiddling around.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

(and yeah I already have an OLED Switch)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

The first thing is, make sure its in mouse trackball mode, there's no reason to use them in mouse mode without trackball mode on as far as I'm concerned, and they do really suck if you're emulating a joystick with them. And then at that point, pretty much anything that you'd like more precise camera control than you'd get with a stick. Any shooter I default to trackpad. Playing through Shadow of Mordor on it currently, I use the stick when I'm just running around normally and the trackpad when I'm shooting arrows. That allows you to do things like auto holding L2 when you touch the trackpad to go into aiming mode, have gyro aiming turned on just when you're aiming arrows and not in general, and better control over aiming sensitivity while also the trackpad just being easier to aim with.

Any game that has an on screen cursor is, just automatically trackpad territory imo. Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld play incredibly on the Deck but I couldn't imagine them on anything else. Likewise, I played a fuckload of strategy games on my Steam Controller. Big thing you learned using the Steam Controller is that, you are often better off with a wasd/mouse emulation on the trackpads than you are using stock gamepad controls in lots of games (or, even better, joystick+mouse if the game supports input mixing).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm glad someone at Valve sees the potential of trackpads. Sony blew it with the PS4. Completely wasted feature of the DS4 (and also the placement isn't very ergonomic for extended use).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm a real dummy with the trackpad. Can you explain how it's different between "as joystick", "as mouse", and trackball setting? Is it a sensitivity thing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also controllers should have scroll wheels (I'm blanking on it atm, but I think there's been one or two before? maybe it was just a patent filing.).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm glad someone at Valve sees the potential of trackpads. Sony blew it with the PS4. Completely wasted feature of the DS4 (and also the placement isn't very ergonomic for extended use).
They got a lot of heat for not having a right joystick on the Steam Controller but it really, didn't need it for what it was. "No you don't get it this is a PC controller, it doesn't replace your gamepad", is not a very good argument when it costs just as much as a DS4 though.

Really funny that they originally weren't planning on putting a left stick on it either though, that would have been a disaster.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm a real dummy with the trackpad. Can you explain how it's different between "as joystick", "as mouse", and trackball setting? Is it a sensitivity thing?
Bound as a joystick, its like an awful touchscreen joystick, its analog based on how far away you touch from the center of the pad, just feels sloppy and you don't get a lot of feedback. As a mouse but with trackball turned off (which is not the default so you have to go out of your way to see it), it works like a regular laptop mouse trackpad, cursor moves as you move your finger across it, its Fine but anyone that's tried to play a game on a laptop knows it kinda doesn't work. Trackball mode, emulates a physical trackball that your thumb spins, meaning if you flick your thumb fast enough it will keep spinning after you let go with configurable sensitivity and friction. The big advantage is that with a joystick you have a response curve that needs to feel comfortable all the way along it, and it constrains you to a max turn speed at the top of that curve. With a trackball, your turn rate is however fast you can flick your thumb, while also giving you a lot of precision on the low end. Doing a 180 turn on a trackball is a fast flick and then stopping the ball with your thumb whenever you get where you want to be, which is a lot faster and more precise than you can do it on a joystick.

Worth noting that, there's like 12 different modes for binding the trackpads, as joystick, as mouse, as mouse joystick (where it feels like a mouse but outputs as a gamepad joystick, for games that don't have mouse support or don't like mixed inputs), mouse region (where the pad maps 1:1 to a region of the screen), flick stick (people swear by it but I don't get it), a half dozen ways to bind it as buttons, etc

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 10, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve never used flick stick controls before. How does your forward movement direction get reset to where you’re looking? Does that happen when you let the stick recenter?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 10, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve never used flick stick controls before. How does your forward movement direction get reset to where you’re looking? Does that happen when you let the stick recenter?
I think so yeah. The other thing about flick stick is, its entirely horizontal so you have to use gyro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5L_Px3dFtE

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I'm glad Inscryption was the first thing I installed, because it made it so the first thing I did on Deck was deep dive all of the control customization options. Was cool making a game that seemed barely playable on deck a good experience in just a couple of minutes of fiddling around.

Would you please share your config or upload it and share what you named it? I’m managing I think(?) with the default control scheme but it hasn’t quite clicked totally for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TwoDeer posted:

Would you please share your config or upload it and share what you named it? I’m managing I think(?) with the default control scheme but it hasn’t quite clicked totally for me.

Most of the game is with a Mouse, so it's perfect for Mouse Trackpads and Left Click on R2. W and S allowed me to move around.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if its possible to update to the beta version of the Heroic Games launcher? I know the steam deck is set up to use flatpacks, so I dunno if it's possible.

The reason I want to is so I can use the new cloud save support for GoG titles.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Defenistrator posted:

Is there any site that reviews the playability of a steam decks screen? The amount of tiny as f text in games that are verified is getting out of hand here. I'm looking at Disco Elysium specifically.

I was just playing Diso Elysium and the text was sufficiently readable for my tired eyes...

...after I turned the font size up in the options.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

This may be a little OT, but does anyone have recommendations for 2D top-down action-adventure games (basically A Link to the Past)? I have a surprisingly low amount of that type of game in my Steam library (only Chronicon, CrossCode and Cubetractor).

I'm also good with something that has a little more RPG (something like Crystalis).

Ittle Dew and its sequel

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

I played most of DE streamed to phone and it was fine.

Trackpad as mouse is perfect. Using the right pad and click as left-click, with left pad as scroll and right click. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it works.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TwoDeer posted:

I didn't do much tbh. I just mapped the right stick to the scroll wheel which gets used a lot and set the left stick to wasd, then just use a combo of touchpad and touch screen tapping on cards for everything else. The default mouse button mapping work well. It's not quite as tight as playing with a real mouse but it's very manageable.

Since it's coming to console soon it'd be cool if they patched in real controller support. No idea if that will happen though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

aya neo looks poo poo tbh... 500 bucks for 1 HOUR of battery life foh

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I don't get why OLED is a big deal to people. Draw more power, produce more heat, and have burn-in to have brighter brights and darker darks. I turn these things down to reduce eyestrain on a regular LCD.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My PC monitor, phone, TV, and Switch are all OLEDs now - kinda hard to overrate pure blacks imo

The deck screen is so-so even against other non-OLED screens

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Being able to control the brightness of every pixel on OLED is as amazing as it sounds. I thought it's going to be something hard to see but pure blacks and accurate HDR is immediately obvious.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
OLED just seems like a bad deal for a handheld. Bad in sunlight, more expensive, more prone to damage, burn-in, worse color accuracy and consumes more power and heat unevenly depending on how dark your game is.

I'm interested in pumping the least amount of power possible into my screens in general, and I want them to last. HDR and OLED's contrast do nothing for me. I stop noticing after minutes.

I understand people who do care about that, but at this point at least, OLED is not a better screen technology for people like me even if it wasn't 1.5x - 2x the price.

E: also high contrast = eye strain

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 10, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I would rather they work on the touch screen. It's the only part of the hardware I'm pretty disappointed in. I'm not expecting iPad-levels of touch responsiveness, but maybe something on par with Windows touch screen devices from 5-10 years ago.

I haven't tried Windows on the thing so maybe it's partly a software issue. I don't have good experiences with touch screens and Linux but better than the Deck's.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vic posted:

I don't get why OLED is a big deal to people. Draw more power, produce more heat, and have burn-in to have brighter brights and darker darks. I turn these things down to reduce eyestrain on a regular LCD.

IMO it looks much, much nicer. I have an OLED 4k TV and had to switch to 1080P LCD and losing the OLED bothered me much more than the resolution drop it turned out. Even going from a Switch > OLED Switch which is the exact same resolution and hardware is a noticeable difference to me.

I happily play a lot of games ~30FPS, and I notice the drop from 4k to 1080 way less than I thought so I'm not one of those people yelling at people for using their screen with incorrect color settings I just do whatever and notice a nice difference

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I've been using an OLED Vita for years and not a trace of burn-in. Maybe some people have issues with it for whatever reason but it doesn't scare me. If there was an OLED Deck I would've jumped at it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re taking the Nintendo approach and saving OLED for a future generation of the product. By all accounts it seems to be a success for them, I’m sure we’ll get a sequel at some point.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think the deck's screen looks perfectly fine as is. I've got some OLED devices and have never been impressed. If OLED comes standard, then whatever, I don't really care, but I'm certainly not paying more for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vic posted:

Burn out is different from burn in (the image doesn't get ghosted in, the pixels can wear out), but on modern OLEDs its really really hard to get burn out and your device is probably not going to last long enough for the impact of burnout to be noticed. At this point OLED devices have been common for a long time and while early versions had occasional burnout at this point failure due to burn out is about as common and LCD pixels being stuck or other issues common with any monitor.

That said, the Deck LCD seems great for it's size and price, so I don't think it was a mistake to go with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OLED burn-in hasn’t been a thing in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re taking the Nintendo approach and saving OLED for a future generation of the product. By all accounts it seems to be a success for them, I’m sure we’ll get a sequel at some point.

Some dudes in this thread were saying that there won’t be a second Deck, and Valve was only trying to inspire third-party manufacturers to build for the form factor