Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody here has any power to change the framework. We all accept it, including you, because there’s no alternative. Joker laughing about it doesn’t make you enlightened, it’s just weird, like you can somehow delegitimize a process that doesn’t give a poo poo about you or what you think.

The process was already delegitimized long before this point. Clinging to Roger’s chosen gladiator as the last hope of possible consequences for Watson seems silly to me, although not as silly as the pearl clutching about someone who finds the distinction in number of games suspended to be pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

After all this publicity I'm shocked Watson intends to keep using massage therapists

He believes he did absolutely nothing wrong and is presumably living in a bubble of yes men who reinforce that sentiment every day. He's probably going to die steadfast in his belief that any consequences he eventually faces were because he got railroaded by the Woke Mob and 30 lying golddiggers. Basically small scale Trump.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GD_American posted:

The process was already delegitimized long before this point. Clinging to Roger’s chosen gladiator as the last hope of possible consequences for Watson seems silly to me, although not as silly as the pearl clutching about someone who finds the distinction in number of games suspended to be pointless.

It literally is the last hope of possible consequences for him. Nothing else is going to happen. This is it and nothing that happens as part of this process will change that, so the only possible results are “no consequences” or “meager consequences.” I’ll take meager consequences in that case since at least it might dissuade teams in the future for signing some other piece of poo poo with a looming suspension if they think that suspension could eat a whole year of his career, or more.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

since at least it might dissuade teams in the future for signing some other piece of poo poo with a looming suspension if they think that suspension could eat a whole year of his career, or more.

How many teams were in the Watson hunt even after he was in the crosshairs? Eight, nine?

It might be the crucial factor for a 4th year blocking TE facing suspension. But there will always be suitors for top 5 talent at the top 1 position.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

How many teams were in the Watson hunt even after he was in the crosshairs? Eight, nine?

It might be the crucial factor for a 4th year blocking TE facing suspension. But there will always be suitors for top 5 talent at the top 1 position.

If he eats a one year suspension - and possibly more next year if he's not contrite - do you think the Browns are gonna be happy with their decisions and the contract they gave him?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The fewer games he's on TV the better, and the more games he misses the worse it is for the Browns. Why someone would go through so much mental gymnastics to argue that 6=17 I have no idea.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If he eats a one year suspension - and possibly more next year if he's not contrite - do you think the Browns are gonna be happy with their decisions and the contract they gave him?

If he comes back at something resembling what he was before, then they're absolutely going to be happy with it. Don't forget they're barely even paying him this year, which I'd take to mean Watson and the Browns pulled the trigger on this deal knowing full well that losing much or all of this season was on the table.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GD_American posted:

I agree, but I’ll also take what I can get. Maybe it means the next Kareem Hunt doesn’t get signed two minutes after they get cut.

Here’s the other reason I’d love a long suspension: I don’t want to loving see the guy. A year reprieve from having to see Deshaun Watson highlights or hear people on tv talk about him in a football player context would make watching football less miserable.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It’s almost a given that the possibility of a year suspension was baked into their decision making, so….yes? What would have changed?

They all but laughed off the bad PR. They made the cynical, but probably correct decision that a certain part of the fanbase wouldn’t care, and a larger part of the fanbase would happily forget when he wins games. Nothing so far has changed their math.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Here’s the other reason I’d love a long suspension: I don’t want to loving see the guy.

Ok this I can completely agree with

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Fine him $250 million dollars and force him to read my posts.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think it's bad that he's only getting suspended.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

If he comes back at something resembling what he was before, then they're absolutely going to be happy with it. Don't forget they're barely even paying him this year, which I'd take to mean Watson and the Browns pulled the trigger on this deal knowing full well that losing much or all of this season was on the table.

They're actually paying him like 46 million dollars this year they just structured it so that it's almost all bonus instead of salary so a suspension costs him, personally, as little as possible. The Browns are on the hook either way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1557124152825348097?s=21&t=reUXjHRtk1oNAFe_2L-SXg

Nov 6, 2002

All part of the Browns' plans, cause they've shown they're geniuses one step ahead.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Is there anything in the new CBA that says Goodell couldn't just put him on the exempt list? It seems wild that the commish is openly admitting he's a predator, but would let him play in the league still. I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I am a bit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If he goes that far I would legit be happy with him for like the first time ever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is there anything in the new CBA that says Goodell couldn't just put him on the exempt list? It seems wild that the commish is openly admitting he's a predator, but would let him play in the league still. I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I am a bit.

I think Goodell tries to reserve the exempt list for people under an ongoing investigation but since Watson willingly sat a season out due to a contract dispute it seems kinda pointless.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The point is Watson gets paid if he just sits out the season vs. having the salary taken if he's on the exempt list.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I remember reading that being on the exempt list would have counted as time served toward whatever the final suspension ends up being. Although I am not sure if that was from a good source or Twitter lawyering.

Would at least make sense, though. Imagine if the league came down with “Watson’s egregious behavior warrants a year suspension. Conveniently, he has been sitting on his rear end for a year of his own volition already, so see you in week 1” lol.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I remember reading that being on the exempt list would have counted as time served toward whatever the final suspension ends up being. Although I am not sure if that was from a good source or Twitter lawyering.

The judge in the arbitration said that the year he sat out did not count towards any suspension because he did so voluntarily.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The judge in the arbitration said that the year he sat out did not count towards any suspension because he did so voluntarily.

Yes, but the big takeaway is that Goodell was actually smart to not put him on the exempt list last year when the story broke as it would have allowed his self imposed exile to count as time served towards a suspension.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does the CBA place a cap on fines?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Yes, but the big takeaway is that Goodell was actually smart to not put him on the exempt list last year when the story broke as it would have allowed his self imposed exile to count as time served towards a suspension.

I don’t think he was playing the long game, I think he’s just a coward and didn’t to anything because he didn’t have to as long as Deshaun wasn’t playing.

Nov 6, 2002

It could be both!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Goodell was hoping this would be settled by the legal system not because he actually cares about justice but because it would be completely out of his hands and no one would be mad at him. But now it’s up to him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Goodell was hoping this would be settled by the legal system not because he actually cares about justice but because it would be completely out of his hands and no one would be mad at him. But now it’s up to him.

The hero we deserve :smithicide:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Forrest on Fire posted:

The point is Watson gets paid if he just sits out the season vs. having the salary taken if he's on the exempt list.

You get paid on the exempt list

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fast cars loose anus posted:

You get paid on the exempt list

Wicka wicka whaaaaa?

That's absolutely hosed

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Forrest on Fire posted:

Wicka wicka whaaaaa?

That's absolutely hosed

I mean not really. If you didn't get paid then it would be functionally the same as a suspension.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The exempt list is for guys they don’t want playing but they don’t want to have damages they can sue the nfl for and force discovery.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
They've also used it for things like dudes trying out for the Olympics, which the players' team has supported. The important aspect of the list in that case is that they don't count for a roster spot so the team can replace them with someone for the duration (e: that's what the actual "exemption" is)

It wasn't, at least originally, used to stash people accused of wrongdoing and so none of these issues really cropped up

e2: here's the rule as written

quote:

EXEMPT LIST. The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player’s time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 11, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jake_trotter/status/1558220328882561027?s=21&t=T7vhJQOo63ZC0W34Ocx9UA

Sounds like someone found out tonight's his last game

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wow he seems truly sorry for sexually assaulting all those women

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think it's becoming pretty clear that the bigger story here is that the commissioner's draconian personal discipline policy has compelled a man that has consistently purported his innocence to issue an apology.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
sorry for what? be specific deshaun

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
That's a helluva 1/10th assed start at rehabbing your image in the face of suspension.

Nov 6, 2002

Step .5, sorta admitting guilt.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Watson went 1/5 for 7 yards.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Intruder posted:

sorry for what? be specific deshaun

He’s sorry for not being able to play football. That’s why his work to do is “especially on the field.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fsif posted:

Watson went 1/5 for 7 yards.

:lol: