Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm not sure if other carriers have options for this but Koodo has a spam reduction option you can turn on that makes the caller press a randomized number 0-9 before they will connect you. We turned that on a couple of years ago and have gotten maybe 1 spam call since then. It does stop the occasional real person who is too dumb to understand "press 3 to connect your call" but on the whole it's worth it.

Doesn't stop those weird texts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: anyone else getting buttloads of "hi" or "hey, can we talk?" texts from random area codes around the country? I'm pretty sure it's hot single women that want to get to know me but I'm too shy to respond.

The spammers are now sending these types of txts to random numbers in order to get the numbers whitelisted as good senders in the spam filters of the telcos.

Later they'll do a huge run to a provider with that source number.

(They're even doing it with phone calls now)

Remember the 00s for weird spam? It's hitting the telco world now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Squibbles posted:

I'm not sure if other carriers have options for this but Koodo has a spam reduction option you can turn on that makes the caller press a randomized number 0-9 before they will connect you. We turned that on a couple of years ago and have gotten maybe 1 spam call since then. It does stop the occasional real person who is too dumb to understand "press 3 to connect your call" but on the whole it's worth it.

Same, and I think it was this very thread I learned of it. Was getting them multiple times a day and I turned that option on and stopped it all instantly.

unknown posted:

The spammers are now sending these types of txts to random numbers in order to get the numbers whitelisted as good senders in the spam filters of the telcos.

This is why I don't feel bad about not responding to that wrong number text I got a few days ago. I could help out the niece who just wanted Aunt Raven to have her new number but I'm just going to assume it's some kind of ploy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

Is Rogers starting to insert "Likely Spam" into caller ID for suspicious calls now or is this something I added to my phone without remembering it?
lol yeah, got one on Sunday showing this, which had previously just showed their number.

I had to turn off the iOS Silence Unknown Callers things for a while as I was having to get doctors appointments etc. from blocked numbers and new places.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Is Rogers starting to insert "Likely Spam" into caller ID for suspicious calls now or is this something I added to my phone without remembering it?

It's part of your phone OS.

:eng101: Yes, Apple/Google/etc are tracking your calls - they are making guesses on tagging spam calls when they attempt to do caller-id lookups.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Basically if it's not a number in my address book I will literally not pick up the phone.

This.

Haven't received any texts in quite a while though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 10, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I've actually been getting more of those generic sounding texts over whatsapp. I get a few directly through SMS but probably 3 or 4x as many via WA. Maybe it's easier to automate whatsapp messages or something and since whatsapp contacts are basically phone numbers it's easier to spam and gain the same knowledge (is this number in use by someone)? Or they are trying to train facebook's spam AI at the same time as the carrier ones. Who knows

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Comedy option: Everyone should switch to Discord. Never had a single spam message.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Send them goatse. Seriously. 100% success rate for me in stopping spammers. Make your reply a flood of gaped anuses.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to sound pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure the automated bot on the other end won't get the hint :P

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Not to sound pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure the automated bot on the other end won't get the hint :P

a lot (but I concede, not all) of these scammers are working out of literal call centers overseas. you might be surprised at how many times an actual person is on the other end, even if they are just following a script.

edit: my general thoughts about these things are this: if I can make one scammer's day worse and potentially lay the seeds of "maybe this isn't for me" by either sending disgusting pictures or yelling awful obscenities at them, then I consider it a job well done.

edit2: ok actually maybe not 'literal call centers' for the text based stuff, but my point still remains that you will often times be dealing with an actual person. it's pretty quickly obvious if you give an unexpected response to something they say, and they make a contextual reply rather than just continuing as if you'd said the expected answer. tinder for example is full of bots because it can be easily accessed through a PC and automated on a large scale. directly sms messages much less so, in my experience.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 10, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh. I guess if labour is cheap enough then sure.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Every time I check my Google Voice L.A. number there are like 15 car warranty scam texts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hell, now you reminded me I have a GV number that I haven't checked in like five years.

This should be good, assuming they haven't aged it out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
whoops meant to post this here and not the internet thread

Looks like Public Mobile is offering 4G speed plans again? $45 for 6GB/mo https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/6GB-4Gspeed

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Loving the side by side CBC articles this morning. "Telus shatters profit record again reaching ungodly sums per quarter" and "Telus asks CRTC to allow them to add a 1.5% surcharge to customers paying their bill with a credit card"

Guess I'll use the alternative payment method of taping bills and change to a carrier pigeon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Loving the side by side CBC articles this morning. "Telus shatters profit record again reaching ungodly sums per quarter" and "Telus asks CRTC to allow them to add a 1.5% surcharge to customers paying their bill with a credit card"

Guess I'll use the alternative payment method of taping bills and change to a carrier pigeon.

I would say use actual checks to inconvenience them, but i think stamps are a buck each these days or more.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Cocaine Bear posted:

I actually didn't realize we had a cell thread! Here's what I posted in the internet thread, in case anyone here wants to throw some complaints into the void:

quote:

Telus is doing Canadian Telecom things and putting in an application to charge a 1.5% service fee (with taxes like a cherry on top of that) for anyone paying with a credit card. I believe it is currently only for mobile plans, but if this goes through it seems likely that everyone else will apply it, and then it will eventually apply to all services.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/08/09/telus-crtc-request-credit-card-processing-fee/
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-to-charge-fee-for-credit-card-payments-to-recover-processing-costs/
https://thedeepdive.ca/telus-looks-to-be-the-first-telecom-to-charge-credit-card-processing-fees/

If you are displeased with this change, you can voice a complaint by putting in an intervention with the CTRC here: https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/Com...2204816&TN=0573 at some point before September 7th, 2022.

There's a draft circulating as a template for those who don't want to craft all of their own words:
quote:

To whom it may concern; I am writing regarding a proposal by Telus to add additional credit card processing fees of 1.5% on mobility accounts. I understand that this proposal is presently before the CRTC for approval. I am writing to express my strong disapproval of any credit card processing or other fees from mobility providers such as Telus. The CRTC must stand up for consumers and ensure that bills are clear to understand, that additional fees are strictly regulated and set out for a specific purpose, and to avoid fees which are expressed as a percentage. I urge you to refuse Telus' request for this additional fee on the grounds that it is unfriendly to consumers, particularly in an inflationary environment, that the fee is confusing and unjustifiable, and is a blatant attempt to increase profit margins to the detriment of consumers. Please do not allow the state of telecom companies in Canada to become even more unjustifiably expensive than it already is. Thank you.

If enough people bitch about it we can probably look forward to the CRTC very loudly and publicly shutting it down, and then Telus re-applying in 6 months to a year and quietly sneaking it through the back door. But at least we can pretend we did something about it this time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

I actually didn't realize we had a cell thread! Here's what I posted in the internet thread, in case anyone here wants to throw some complaints into the void:

I did my part!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Tagra posted:

Thanks! I made the argument that it disproportionately affects prepaid/pay-as-you-go customers, as the only payment options are almost always Credit/Debit. Because Prepaid customers are usually either lower-income customers, or folks simply looking for a cheap way to communicate, it essentially adds a fee to their most affordable plans, and incentivizes customers to lock themselves into a more expensive and less flexible contract.

Also, lol god drat those prepaid plans have gotten expensive. $30 for a 1GB data booster from Koodo? gently caress off.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Thanks! I made the argument that it disproportionately affects prepaid/pay-as-you-go customers, as the only payment options are almost always Credit/Debit. Because Prepaid customers are usually either lower-income customers, or folks simply looking for a cheap way to communicate, it essentially adds a fee to their most affordable plans, and incentivizes customers to lock themselves into a more expensive and less flexible contract.

Also, lol god drat those prepaid plans have gotten expensive. $30 for a 1GB data booster from Koodo? gently caress off.

They've pretty much always been expensive. I've yet to see a prepay even match my unicorn deal, much less exceed it.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
I'm still on that old public mobile $120 / 90 day 12gb LTE prepaid plan. It was a decent deal like 4 years ago or whatever it was but is it still decent? I'm in BC.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

4gb/$40 per month isn't terrible but not great? Koodo has 20gb for 60 bucks on atm

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
yea, it feels like it might be time to shop around again

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

4gb/$40 per month isn't terrible but not great? Koodo has 20gb for 60 bucks on atm

1.) Is it prepay though
2.) If yes, is that permanent or an introductory deal

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anti Plum posted:

I'm still on that old public mobile $120 / 90 day 12gb LTE prepaid plan. It was a decent deal like 4 years ago or whatever it was but is it still decent? I'm in BC.

I'm the same, and I think it's still good if only because public can't gently caress with it.

Accidentally grandfathering everyone with the wording of the deal helps massively

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) Is it prepay though
2.) If yes, is that permanent or an introductory deal

Permanent. I just switched from my old $55 10gb plan through self serve.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lmao the best prepaid plan koodo can do six years after Public Mobile's deal is 3gb.

"Competition"!

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Given that telecom prices in Canada trend up over time rather than down like a civilized country, I think only losing 1GB in 6 years is pretty good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arrinien posted:

Given that telecom prices in Canada trend up over time rather than down like a civilized country, I think only losing 1GB in 6 years is pretty good.

Discussion > Canadian Cellular: only losing 1GB/mo in 6 years is pretty good.

:imunfunny:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arrinien posted:

We're adding more people all the time and that puts more strain on the tubes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The data silos are emptying at alarming speeds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Internet isa zero sum game. If you have more internet someone else is losing internet.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mister Facetious posted:

Discussion > Canadian Cellular: only losing 1GB/mo in 6 years is pretty good.

:imunfunny:

Nice. I haven't seen this thread title change in like, a decade?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Signed up for Virgin Plus today via livechat on their website for a 20Gb $45/month BYOD plan where they will credit back the $50 activation fee and waived sim card fees and sim card shipping fees.

Hopefully they will also waive the fee waiver fee but no promises there yet. They were otherwise very easy going. I just asked for their best BYOD 20gb plan in ontario and they offerd that one that RFD has been talking about and offered the various waivers without having to ask for them. In case anyone else could benefit from that plan.

Now I just have to beg my child not to bankrupt me with data overage charges when they inevitably go past 20 gigs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

Signed up for Virgin Plus today via livechat on their website for a 20Gb $45/month BYOD plan where they will credit back the $50 activation fee and waived sim card fees and sim card shipping fees.

Hopefully they will also waive the fee waiver fee but no promises there yet. They were otherwise very easy going. I just asked for their best BYOD 20gb plan in ontario and they offerd that one that RFD has been talking about and offered the various waivers without having to ask for them. In case anyone else could benefit from that plan.

Now I just have to beg my child not to bankrupt me with data overage charges when they inevitably go past 20 gigs

This is a lot better than my current plan, what's the coverage like?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ensign Expendable posted:

Better than Rogers' im told by my father in law who works out in Maple or Stouffville and lost service when he switched from Virgin to Fido because he wanted a new samsung that he now cannot use at work.

Also, this deal is not an X off Y per month for Z months deal. Its an ongoing 45 rate until VirgMo decides to alter the deal and I then pray they dont alter it further.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Virgin is Bell network

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That actually looks pretty good. What's the catch? Or is this just genuinely a good deal? Their map shows no 5G coverage so I guess I won't be getting the mind control signal or whatever everyone is so upset about, but anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What's the catch?

Its not advertised everywhere so your preferred carrier wont bother to try and match and will treat you like a crazy person if you ask them to. Not all Virgin livechat CSRs are able to offer the plan, probably depends on luck of the draw for which outsourcing firm handles your session vs. the few in house reps they might actually employ. It wont be available after the back to school season concludes, which nobody knows when that is.

The worst part is the chance for data overage charges past 20gb. But also its no contract so if something better comes up on fake Canadian black Friday or boxing day its an easy switch away to whoever else has a better deal.

I've been looking for a month and its the best non-retention winback plan I've seen. Costco's normally good instore wireless kiosk is treating $55/20gb as the best offer around, Fido live chat reps are pretending $60/20gb is a "hot deal" if you arent addling a line.