Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ugleb posted:

Out of interest, what sort of covid restrictions are in place in the States? I'm going to Boston/New York/Washington next month and haven't a clue.

not only are there no rules governing it but people will look at you like you’re a disgusting loving psycho rear end in a top hat if you wear a mask. have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Nuns with Guns posted:

For Gencon, didn't they already make a declaration saying they planned to leave Indiana a few years back after there was some anti-gay or anti-abortion legislation that was signed into law?

Yeah, in 2015 GenCon threatened to leave when Pence signed in the Religious Freedom bill which would let businesses refuse to serve someone based on their beliefs but they were contracted to stay till 2020. I'm not sure what the situation is but it looks like they've renewed their contract twice since then, through 2026.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, in 2015 GenCon threatened to leave when Pence signed in the Religious Freedom bill which would let businesses refuse to serve someone based on their beliefs but they were contracted to stay till 2020. I'm not sure what the situation is but it looks like they've renewed their contract twice since then, through 2026.
Yes but you see being principled is hard

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ravenkult posted:

Don't need a test to enter the US.

Weird, I needed one a couple months back when I did it, or at least that’s what the travel service told me (and work let me expense it).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Subjunctive posted:

Weird, I needed one a couple months back when I did it, or at least that’s what the travel service told me (and work let me expense it).

If you traveled before June, then you did need it. The requirement was removed then.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I didn't think there were any legal requirements to enter the USA, which is good because I go in three weeks and haven't booked any tests!

Here in the UK it is much the same. Our reluctantly outgoing PM declared 'Freedom Day' as soon as he could (2 years later than he first wanted) and ditched every legal requirement.

You can work in a nursery, test positive and still go to work looking after other people's kids. Who then go home and infect their parents. Practically everyone I know who has been to a festival has come back with Covid.

Anyway, sorry for veering off topic, the GenCon thing was relevant to my interests.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IME there are no COVID restrictions at private businesses that you can't get around if you really want to. I've had places ask for my vaxx card, but they were fine with a picture and didn't even ask to see my photo ID along with it. Might be harder if you don't look definitely old enough to buy booze.

And that's when I went to Philadelphia. Outside major cities nobody cares.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I was half asking because I thought it might be a giant list of trivia I can look through for fun even though it will never matter to me.

I like looking at convoluted systems and poking at them.

You can find this stuff online if it interests you. For example:

https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publications/MCO%201020.34H%20v2.pdf?ver=2018-06-26-094038-137

Just bask in the tedious bullshit.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 9, 2022

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Halloween Jack posted:

IME there are no COVID restrictions at private businesses that you can't get around if you really want to. I've had places ask for my vaxx card, but they were fine with a picture and didn't even ask to see my photo ID along with it. Might be harder if you don't look definitely old enough to buy booze.

And that's when I went to Philadelphia. Outside major cities nobody cares.

No one has yet succeeded in getting around my mask mandate.

But I wish this were less unusual, yeah. Even at the height of the pandemic around here, virtually nowhere else was willing to put in the effort to enforce it. The local organic food co-op got good compliance, but I'm not sure if that's because they actually threatened to kick people out, or just self-selection based on being an organic food co-op. Other than that, yeah, very little interest in any kind of compliance.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Oh, and the pharmacy, shout-out to them. Every week I go down the street to buy more masks from them and we commiserate about their ever-increasing number of "no really put on a mask before coming in here rear end in a top hat" signs. They're up to four.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ultiville posted:

Oh, and the pharmacy, shout-out to them. Every week I go down the street to buy more masks from them and we commiserate about their ever-increasing number of "no really put on a mask before coming in here rear end in a top hat" signs. They're up to four.

I've seen several pharmacists and technicians without masks while working.

Indiana is a hell hole.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Theoretically I'd like mask mandates to be enforced everywhere, but the enforcement would probably lead to nontrivial numbers of workers getting murdered by chuds. I only know of one case off the top of my head, but I'm surprised it's not higher.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
My LGS is the only place I go that still enforces a mask mandate and require proof of vaccination for tournaments so shout out to them for being the only people to still care.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/WCgameco/status/1556684331200008193

It's one person's experience but it's thread-relevant and worth a read considering a lot of people were counting on Gamefound to be the replacement for indie TRPG crowdfunding. The part about "Told me art I made was not good enough. Suggested I add miniatures" really makes me think that Gamefound wants to strongly focus on things like big six- and seven-figure boardgame projects rather than someone's lower budget RPG.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Theoretically I'd like mask mandates to be enforced everywhere, but the enforcement would probably lead to nontrivial numbers of workers getting murdered by chuds. I only know of one case off the top of my head, but I'm surprised it's not higher.

The local Walgreens has never been good about it, including their manager never wearing a mask even when there was a mandate posted, and have long since given up. But the local one down the street from my store is good about it, thankfully.

quote:

My LGS is the only place I go that still enforces a mask mandate and require proof of vaccination for tournaments so shout out to them for being the only people to still care.

Yeah, I have those policies (LGS owner), and the LGS the next town south does too, and we sometimes commiserate about how somehow we're the most responsible. Oh, the independent cinema on my street has them too. But we're a super left-wing small town and that's still the best we can do, even the other local small businesses are not very good about it, sigh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

If they had been handled well in the first place and not just thrown away ASAP then that wouldn't be an issue.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

It's one person's experience but it's thread-relevant and worth a read considering a lot of people were counting on Gamefound to be the replacement for indie TRPG crowdfunding. The part about "Told me art I made was not good enough. Suggested I add miniatures" really makes me think that Gamefound wants to strongly focus on things like big six- and seven-figure boardgame projects rather than someone's lower budget RPG.
drat.

I hope Backerkit works out better, then. I'm not dealing with Indiegogo.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've seen several pharmacists and technicians without masks while working.

Indiana is a hell hole.

I worked in a building full of biologists and a floor full of microbiologists. Masking was minimal even when some people got COVID and then returned to work.

This was in Illinois in a college town. Masking is not very common any more, even among people who are (in theory) most educated about microbes.

I don't agree with the lack of masking, to be clear, especially when people are actively sick or recovering.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 10, 2022

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

drat.

At this point I feel like we're going to end up with like a half dozen different crowdfunding platforms and services (Kickstarter, itchfunding, Indiegogo, Gamefound, Backerkit, etc) which is going to end up atomizing a lot of indie attempts at funding their stuff while big names just continue to use Kickstarter.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

drat.

I hadn't heard, what's the issue with Indiegogo?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pakxos posted:

I can't speak for dwarf74 but:

1). Indiegogo has never really actively come out and said "we will have nothing to do with crypto/NFT/blockchain poo poo," so from an Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism standpoint they aren't really proactively taking a stance on anything, they've just avoided shooting themselves in the foot. I believe they've flirted with some sort of crypto thing in the past but aren't currently, though again they haven't refuted it either. By comparison, itch.io has openly made a statement against NFTs, so if one's distaste for Kickstarter is largely predicated on their blockchain announcements then moving to Indiegogo isn't really guaranteeing some similar poo poo won't happen so much as hoping it won't.
2). Indiegogo has a long history of being the crowdfunding platform where scams go when they can't get hosted on Kickstarter. I'm told it's better these days, but it's an association that can be hard to shake.
3). My own personal side-eye glance at them is they turned into the de-facto crowdfunding platform for all that dumb "comicsgate" poo poo after Kickstarter shut down one of their projects. That's a lot less ancient history. It's not that Kickstarter is any sort of moral exemplar run by saints, I remember someone funding some "anti-work/SJW" card game with cards like "False Rape Accusations" and poo poo that they let slide despite reports, but again, if it's a case of "I think Kickstarter sucks poo poo for this reason" then Indiegogo is definitely not doing a lot better.

On a purely pragmatic level, Indiegogo just doesn't have the reach and penetration Kickstarter does either. Possum Creek Games (makers of Wanderhome) did a successful Indiegogo campaign for their game Yazeba's Bed & Breakfast but at the same time, within the indie scene Possum Creek Games is pretty well known with a sizable following and fanbase to make something like that easier. Like, if Massif Press decided to do an Indiegogo campaign I'm sure it would be successful too, but I'm not sure that the success of indie devs with that sort of clout and reach would necessarily translate 1-1 to any indie RPG that jumped to Indiegogo. Kickstarter remains the platform for crowdfunding in most peoples' eyes, it has the brand name cachet, it has the best casual exposure, and to be frank most people in the elfgameosphere probably don't even know about the KS blockchain thing or, if they do, they don't care that much either way.

So even if some folks have abandoned Kickstarter, moving to another platform for most publishers is going to result in a significant reduction in funding, moreso than if they just stuck with Kickstarter. It's one thing to say that a company funding $10 million games based on highly marketable properties probably won't be hit that hard, but for projects with goals in the low to mid five figure range taking a big hit like that is going to hurt a lot worse.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pakxos posted:

Historically? It's the place you go to get scammed.

It may have improved in the past couple of years but if so they've done little to nothing to wipe the stink off.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chuds are having a lot of meltdowns this week.

https://spikeybits.com/2022/08/nova-open-infuriates-hobbyists-with-their-policies.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

They recommend Goonhammer as an alternative. How’s the 40k community on SA?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

NM. It's pretty good.

moths fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

The biggest difference is that after the Goonhammer split, we had noticably fewer insufferable know-it-alls.

Oh there was a split? So this goonhammer group isn’t associated with SA?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamnit.

Yeah, they were originally goons but cited Lotax's ongoing presence as a moral imperative to leave - there were also some "big personalities" who were challenging to share a(ny) thread with.

But now that they've got their own blackjack and hookers club, they turn out fantastic content and are a net positive for gaming. Absolutely serious here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

Goddamnit.

Yeah, they were originally goons but cited Lotax's ongoing presence as a moral imperative to leave - there were also some "big personalities" who were challenging to share a(ny) thread with.

But now that they've got their own blackjack and hookers club, they turn out fantastic content and are a net positive for gaming. Absolutely serious here.

Cool. So do you think they’ll allow anti-vax chuds into their tournament?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not if they've already got a policy against it, lol.

This might be Spikey Bits griefing them, since GH has basically obviated SB.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Took me under three minutes to find the GH player packet, which says

quote:

6.0 HEALTH AND SAFETY
6.1 Vaccination Requirement
Participants in Goonhammer Open events are required to show proof of full COVID Vaccination and at least one
booster shot.
6.2 COVID Precautions
The health and well being of your event attendees/league participants, their families and loved ones, and the
wider community in which we operate is our top priority. We will do everything possible to ensure our attendees/
participants are well taken care of, safe, and healthy.
At a minimum, we recommend you always follow all official guidance in your locality.

So this is either typical Spikey Bits laziness or they weaponized a bunch of anti-vax shitheads and pointed them at a rival's event. I'm more inclined to assume they were just being stupid, because the second option would require some level cunning.

I only mention how quickly I found the packet because that's the amount of time SB didn't invest in fact-checking.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it has been a really hard week for chuds lol

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Spikey Bits fostering bad will and stirring poo poo? Impossible

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kai Tave posted:

At this point I feel like we're going to end up with like a half dozen different crowdfunding platforms and services (Kickstarter, itchfunding, Indiegogo, Gamefound, Backerkit, etc) which is going to end up atomizing a lot of indie attempts at funding their stuff while big names just continue to use Kickstarter.

Everyone is continuing to use Kickstarter. Small hobbyist indies struggle to get funded on other platforms, so they either go back to KS or don't leave, and larger companies which support full-time employees can't risk their income stream so they don't leave either. Possum Creek being a notable exception.

It's a lovely situation and I don't know how to fix it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Kai Tave posted:

This is a shame, hopefully it's an isolated case or teething issues. Or they actually did screw up their own project somehow. Time will tell I guess.

As a customer I've found using Gamefound to be a great pledge manager. I've only backed one campaign through it so far and that seemed to go well. A few layout niggles maybe but that may have been how the campaign was setup rather than the platform.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

Took me under three minutes to find the GH player packet, which says

So this is either typical Spikey Bits laziness or they weaponized a bunch of anti-vax shitheads and pointed them at a rival's event. I'm more inclined to assume they were just being stupid, because the second option would require some level cunning.

I only mention how quickly I found the packet because that's the amount of time SB didn't invest in fact-checking.

Speaking not in any official capacity as a GH contributor but instead in my own opinion, SB is a garbage rear end clickbait bullshit site who will print anything and everything without even a hint of critical thinking. In an earlier iteration of the 40k thread goons devised a fairly unconvincing “leak” that showed 40k was getting a revival of an old faction complete with reissues of older models, and even though it didn’t hold up to more than thirty seconds of thought SB published it as if it was real. It’s entirely unsurprising that they didn’t even bother to check requirements for this.

Also it’s the general GH vibe that hams chuds can and should gently caress all the way off so the notion that we’re some sort of haven for anti-vaxx shitlords is laughable.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PantsOptional posted:

Speaking not in any official capacity as a GH contributor but instead in my own opinion, SB is a garbage rear end clickbait bullshit site who will print anything and everything without even a hint of critical thinking. In an earlier iteration of the 40k thread goons devised a fairly unconvincing “leak” that showed 40k was getting a revival of an old faction complete with reissues of older models, and even though it didn’t hold up to more than thirty seconds of thought SB published it as if it was real. It’s entirely unsurprising that they didn’t even bother to check requirements for this.

Also it’s the general GH vibe that hams chuds can and should gently caress all the way off so the notion that we’re some sort of haven for anti-vaxx shitlords is laughable.

Huh, so its like nintendo rumor channels. "New Switch 2 coming this year we swear guys!"

Have they ever said a true leak was fake because their "sources" said no? That happened with nintendo """insiders""" back in 2017, where a guy was like "Im setting up booths for nintendos big announcement thing, there's a game where people have springs for arms" and every single insider alive screeched that this was the fakest, least real leak ever why would that ever happen

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

potatocubed posted:

Everyone is continuing to use Kickstarter. Small hobbyist indies struggle to get funded on other platforms, so they either go back to KS or don't leave, and larger companies which support full-time employees can't risk their income stream so they don't leave either. Possum Creek being a notable exception.

It's a lovely situation and I don't know how to fix it.

I think of all the aspiring Kickstarter replacements, Backerkit is maybe the one I would say is in the best position to actually take a successful stab at it simply because a lot of people who have used Kickstarter also use and are familiar with Backerkit. That's not the case with the others like Gamefound etc. Now that's not to say it will succeed, and there are all sorts of other issues beyond just being a usable platform like discovery and visibility (areas at which Kickstarter continues to remain the top choice, similar to how DTRPG's discoverability is better than itch.io's), but Backerkit at least has something like a leg up in terms of recognition.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kai Tave posted:

I think of all the aspiring Kickstarter replacements, Backerkit is maybe the one I would say is in the best position to actually take a successful stab at it simply because a lot of people who have used Kickstarter also use and are familiar with Backerkit. That's not the case with the others like Gamefound etc. Now that's not to say it will succeed, and there are all sorts of other issues beyond just being a usable platform like discovery and visibility (areas at which Kickstarter continues to remain the top choice, similar to how DTRPG's discoverability is better than itch.io's), but Backerkit at least has something like a leg up in terms of recognition.

Also if some company wants to ditch KS but have used them in conjunction with backerkit before, they've already got that email list and can direct flows of followup traffic to Backerkit easy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that's a huge leg up none of the other crowdfunding platforms have going for them, it's built-in outreach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
A professional acquaintance was assaulted at Gen Con, which is obviously unfuckingcool.

https://twitter.com/little_red_dot/status/1557466678161727489?t=J1fdEMdcLG-DzsfohYZkMg&s=19