Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I forgot to follow one of the most basic rules of modeling which is "Always paint darker colors over lighter colors". I painted the Hasegawa Lamborghini Miura I'm working on in Mr. Color Orange Yellow which like the name implies is a very yellowish orange. The problem was that I had already painted the silver panels that run along the sides and since I did them first I didn't mask them off so the silver ran a little higher up into the doors. I figured it wasnt so much darker that it would show through after a couple coats of orange yellow over it. Boy was I wrong. It was very evident that the area around the doors was way darker than the rest of the car even after 3 coats. I was bummed out thinking id have to strip the paint and start over again. Then I remembered that I had a jar of Mr Color regular Orange laying around and it is a way darker shade of orange so I thought it would be a worth a try. And thankfully it worked, it laid down uniformly over the whole car after a couple coats.

It's not the shade I originally wanted, but it's also now a more authentic shade to the one that was used on the real car. It's better than stripping it which is a pain in the rear end.

So what to do while the paint is curing on that body? Well paint another one of course.

It's a Tamiya Nissan Skyline R32 GTR Nismo Edition painted in Tamiya Mica Red rattle can that I had laying around. I'm pretty happy with the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Orange and yellow are terrible at covering underlying coats. Red is a little better. If I have to paint orange or yellow, I paint a white basecoat. With red, I do white or gray. But, to each his own - my methods aren't necessarily correct and if somebody else has a different method, it isn't necessarily wrong. Trial and error and find what works best for you.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Orange and yellow are terrible at covering underlying coats. Red is a little better. If I have to paint orange or yellow, I paint a white basecoat. With red, I do white or gray. But, to each his own - my methods aren't necessarily correct and if somebody else has a different method, it isn't necessarily wrong. Trial and error and find what works best for you.

You're absolutely correct (at least in my experience) which is why I primed the Lambo with white primer first. I'm kind of curious what happens if you spray orange paint over Tamiyas pink primer.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

You're absolutely correct (at least in my experience) which is why I primed the Lambo with white primer first. I'm kind of curious what happens if you spray orange paint over Tamiyas pink primer.

It would shift the tone of it I'd imagine but I have also seen people do yellow over pink and it ended up alright. I find tamiya white primer to not be bright enough to chuck yellows or red over the top of easily so I tend to follow it up with a coat of white followed by whatever the bright colour is.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10906630

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:psyduck:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10801439

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Over in the Gundam thread, we're having Backlogust, the magical time of the year when we churn through our horrible, existential dread-inducing piles of toys. Short version is, the more stuff you build, the better your pick of a prize pool. Scale stuff is going to be more complex due to the nature of the beast, but I figured I'd offer over here too, since if nothing else I have an enormous scale backlog and don't have to go out and buy stuff.

If you all are interested, take a picture of an unmade kit with a timestamp from this page, then post the finished product before the end of the day, August 31st GMT-11. I don't have an exact points register for this thread since scale stuff is going to be inherently more varied, but in general more effort means more points. The person with the highest point total gets to pick first from a pool of prizes selected from my backlog, and so on down the list until I run out of money for shipping/gift certs.

For the sake of setting expectations, while I am rich in model kits I'll never build, I am comparatively poorer in cash and likely will not be able to ship a prize to New Zealand or what have you. International entrants may get a gift certificate/enough Amazon credit for one of Ensign Expendable's books/a drawing of your fursona/etc.

Hit me up with any questions, and we'll see if a month is even approaching enough time to do this for scale models.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ll pass on the trash, but I for one like the little crayfish.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Hit me up with any questions, and we'll see if a month is even approaching enough time to do this for scale models.

I'd probably be keen to take part in something like this, but August is going to be pretty busy for me as we've got our club's model show on the 27th and I need to finish off a few bits and pieces for that.

A month might be a bit ambitious for all but the simplest kits, and obviously choice of subject (e.g. a 1/700 submarine vs a 1/35 MiniArt tank) will determine how long it really takes. I'd suggest more like 2-3 months might be more realistic, but I'd be interested to see what other folk reckon.

Would folk post build-logs throughout?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, practically I know there's not a hell of a lot of chance of something like this working on short notice. But have you considered, Backlogquarter isn't pithy???

I suspect a more general group build is probably the way to go for scale stuff, but I figured I'd make the offer and see if anyone was interested.

FWIW, build logs haven't been required so long as there's some proof you started from square one at some point in the process. I can see that really adding time to the whole process.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Become the cephalopod, Shinji

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I did something without a tank for once.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ensign Expendable posted:

I did something without a tank for once.

Did you make that or are you secretly Sophie Duker?

(Either one is p. cool)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I found this account a few days ago and you are making me more temped....

https://cults3d.com/en/users/Yehenii/creations (CW: small marble penises)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My Tamiya model car paint stand is occupied by a car I just clearcoated and I can't remove the car from it until the paint fully dries. I have another car I need to paint does anyone know a way I can make a stand out of household items? I know using a bottle with some tape on the top is pretty popular and I'm willing to try it but I don't know what tape people use for that. Double sided tape?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

My Tamiya model car paint stand is occupied by a car I just clearcoated and I can't remove the car from it until the paint fully dries. I have another car I need to paint does anyone know a way I can make a stand out of household items? I know using a bottle with some tape on the top is pretty popular and I'm willing to try it but I don't know what tape people use for that. Double sided tape?

I found a good solution. An empty can of Tamiya primer with some duct tape doubled over on the top. It holds the model very strong.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I use a pill bottle with some poster tack putty on it, although if you're spraying at really high pressures that'll eventually get bobbled around. I'd think packing tape would be your best bet - real sticky, lots of surface area, but comes off of plastic comparatively easy. I wouldn't let it sit overnight, though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It was a long time before I got one of those spray stands so I used to just bluetack the body to an old spray can or for smaller bits a chopstick or paddle pop stick

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Have you ever stared at a word so long that it begins to lose its meaning? I'm 1/10th of the way through decals on the F-14 and "no step" has reached that point for me.

At this point I'm not sure you can actually step anywhere on the Tomcat's upper surfaces.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Anyone have any recommendations for a good one-stop book on german ww2 tanker uniforms (and one for soviets)? I'm trying to step up my figure painting game, but don't want to end up buying a new Osprey book everytime I start something new.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

boba fetacheese posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good one-stop book on german ww2 tanker uniforms (and one for soviets)? I'm trying to step up my figure painting game, but don't want to end up buying a new Osprey book everytime I start something new.

Here's one for German tankers.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/panzer-crew-uniforms-painting-guide-learning-series-02/

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I always just used to use looped over masking tape for sticking to bottles. Unless you're using the padded kind, I found it's hard to get good adhesion on both surfaces with double sided tape. Depending on the body type, I also found empty drinks cans work well too as on 1/24 the side sills softly grip the sides of the can. You need to pad out the tape loop with a wad of tissue or something to get it stuck though.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Have you ever stared at a word so long that it begins to lose its meaning? I'm 1/10th of the way through decals on the F-14 and "no step" has reached that point for me.

At this point I'm not sure you can actually step anywhere on the Tomcat's upper surfaces.

This is the Tamiya kit, right? Are you using any sort of setting solutions to work with their decals?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Yes on both counts. Setting solution is, in my opinion, a requirement for Tamiya and their famously thick decals. For the smaller stencil decals that usually sit on a flat surface, I'm using Tamiya's Mark Fit decal solution. For the larger decals that go over panel lines or around curved surfaces, I'm using Mr. Mark Softer from Mr. Hobby. It's the hottest decal setting solution I've found so far and seems to be doing a pretty good job. I'm utter poo poo at decals, so we'll see if I'm able to pull this off, but so far so good.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Gewehr 43 posted:

I haven't decaled my F14 yet (that got drat 1.32 monster from the 90's) but that gave me terrible flashbacks to stickering my GI Joe Skystriker on Xmas morning 1984.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Found out at my FLHS a couple days ago that Tamiya Extra Thin is suffering from supply shortfalls at the moment....

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Found out at my FLHS a couple days ago that Tamiya Extra Thin is suffering from supply shortfalls at the moment....

One thing I don't like about the Tamiya extra thin is that the brush doesn't reach all the way down to the bottom of the jar. So I have a jar that is still about halfway full and it's a royal pain in the butt to reach the cement with the brush as I have to tip the jar almost completely horizontal to get it to reach. I've just started using an old hobby brush instead but it doesn't seem to do as good of a job as the included brush. Does anyone know what that brush is made of? It looks like nylon but I'm not sure since whatever it is it obviously doesn't melt in the cement like a lot of other plastics would.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

One thing I don't like about the Tamiya extra thin is that the brush doesn't reach all the way down to the bottom of the jar. So I have a jar that is still about halfway full and it's a royal pain in the butt to reach the cement with the brush as I have to tip the jar almost completely horizontal to get it to reach. I've just started using an old hobby brush instead but it doesn't seem to do as good of a job as the included brush. Does anyone know what that brush is made of? It looks like nylon but I'm not sure since whatever it is it obviously doesn't melt in the cement like a lot of other plastics would.

Let me blow your mind: the brush can be pulled out so it extends further out of the handle and reaches the bottom of the jar. Just tug on it with a pair of tweezers.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jonny Nox posted:

Haven't tried it out myself yet, but if you can find Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner:

Count Thrashula posted:

Today I learned that Tamiya extra thin cement and Tamiya airbrush cleaner are chemically the same thing, except you can buy an 8oz bottle of the latter for $8 :eyepop:

Reference: https://youtu.be/IKm9rwHFwLs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

tidal wave emulator posted:

Let me blow your mind: the brush can be pulled out so it extends further out of the handle and reaches the bottom of the jar. Just tug on it with a pair of tweezers.

Every time I do this the brush falls out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

tidal wave emulator posted:

Mind. Blown. You'd think they would mention this on the jar somewhere.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I like to trim the brush back at a 45 to a chisel point. It messes with the flow rate out of the brush but the precision is worth it

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vaporware posted:

I like to trim the brush back at a 45 to a chisel point. It messes with the flow rate out of the brush but the precision is worth it

Are we still talking about Tamiya Extra Thin? Its brush is already pretty pointy.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Oh you know what? I ended up getting the Mr hobby glue because they were out of Tamiya. I thought I had it because that's what I went out to buy, lol

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It came from Twitter

https://twitter.com/lyannqi/status/1558050728341827584?t=bElezaLvhH6uStBAq0axig&s=19

Storm Tigeeeeeeer Kai

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The plate on the front looks like it came from the Gorkamorka trukk kit :allears:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

My favorite comedy detail is that with all the rest of the crap on that model, the top turret still has a bustle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Where else would you put your snacks to keep them handy?

The weirder thing is the Panzer II turrets tucked away in the side don't have them. Also that they didn't just chuck them on top of the double-gunned Tiger turrets as "AA".

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This is my first real experience with PE and my God it's a nightmare

And yes that's through a magnifying glass. These are the slats that go in the hood of a Lamborghini Miura. Thankfully if I mess it up (an inevitability) they included the plastic slats in the kit but they don't look as good.

Also for anyone who's interested, apparently Tamiya will be releasing a new Nissan Z kit I think in October. I'm definitely getting it as I'm a big Z fan. I hope it has a fully modeled engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A Youtube shoutout for Night Shift. He's fun to listen to, demonstrates good technique, and makes interesting dioramas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxpIMrV_J7k&t=748s