Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Yeah, it seems the media creation tool thingy is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I've used Rufus for so long now it's second nature for me to use it as the go-to for making a bootable USB drive. Especially since when I get bored I tend to tinker with some older hardware I have laying around, and it can make non-UEFI bootable drives.

The creation tool from Microsoft is probably the easiest way to go, as it can do pretty much everything in a few clicks (even download the ISO right?) when I last tried it out.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It's overkill for a one-time Windows install (use already mentioned official media creation tool), but if you're using Rufus frequently try Ventoy. You can put multiple .iso images on your thumb drive and when you boot from that USB you just pick the iso you want. Can have Windows Server, 10, 11, multiple linux distros, Hiren's and whatever else all on 1 USB.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sarr mentioned it was an old install. They might hit the TPM requirements.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
I think I have all the requirements in order since I have the green check mark in the update screen, but I want to do a fresh install instead of upgrade since I have some minor quirks that I hope to purge doing this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CBD Corndog posted:

To turn this off so it doesn't happen after future updates, go into Settings > System > Notifications > Scroll to the bottom, open Additional settings, and uncheck these two boxes:

fwiw, this doesn't happen to me on the release preview ring so it should be fixed when that comes out fully in the next month or so.

Ahh there it is. Thanks. Let's see if this works.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My only real complaint about W11 is this tick I get. After being awaken from sleep sometimes, my desktop will get this tick you can only really notice in the cursor or while playing games. Just a very quick stutter. Bugs me though, and I have to reboot when it comes up.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
My complaint lately (preview version) is that explorer windows get stuck. They can be minimized and expanded and navigated through but trying to drag them across the screen is impossible.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

What's the reasoning behind switching to 400 DPI for shooters, rather than just staying at 1600 DPI all the time and dividing your sensitivity by 4?

If playing anything that has good sensitivity settings, no real reason.

Since I switched to a high DPI and low sensitivity, I've noticed that some older games become impossible because they just expect a low DPI and have inadequate or no sensitivity options for mouse. So I just have low and high DPI switch bound to a mouse button.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

codo27 posted:

My only real complaint about W11 is this tick I get. After being awaken from sleep sometimes, my desktop will get this tick you can only really notice in the cursor or while playing games. Just a very quick stutter. Bugs me though, and I have to reboot when it comes up.

It's probably something hyper specific and really annoying to pin down. Like Intel Rapid storage should be disabled, or some random chipset driver needs to be updated. You might get lucky with Windows Event Viewer and notice something always happens at the same time as the hitch.

Can't stand poo poo like that personally and would spend a week painfully troubleshooting it. Probably less painful to restart every time coming out of sleep.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Sorry if this has been asked before. Can I do a clean install of Windows 11 when I have W10 or do I need to "properly" upgrade it at least once (setting some flags on MS' servers)? I got a used laptop with Win10 and it does not yet show the "upgrade to W11" even though it meets the requirements. I just wonder if I have to wait for it to show up (I just re-installed Win10 fresh since it changed owners) or if I can go ahead and install W11 just like that. Thank you.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You can simply reinstall Windows 11

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Should basically never upgrade from within Windows. Major OS installs should always be done cleanly. It might tell you that its not capable of W11 when you try though.

Had a fun issue last night after installing the latest Geforce driver (and doing a disk cleanup which I do every now and then out of nothing but neurosis). After I rebooted, kept getting an error "update.exe could not run" or something like that. Found out that Discord and Teams wouldn't open? What an odd coincidence. Turns out it was a .net issue brought about by a Windows update. Running these through an elevated command prompt fixed it

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:WCF-HTTP-Activation
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:WCF-NonHTTP-Activation

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

Should basically never upgrade from within Windows. Major OS installs should always be done cleanly. It might tell you that its not capable of W11 when you try though.

10 and 11 can't upgrade from booting off the usb stick, they can only upgrade from within windows.

At this point MS's upgrade tech is good enough, and the amount of deep-level technical change is low enough, that an upgrade from a functional 10 system to 11 is a perfectly fine idea.

IMO the last OS change where I think a full clean format & install was a really good idea was if you had a system that started with 7 or earlier and were installing 10. MS made some changes to disk layout in 10 (default GPT drive, recovery partition at the end) that were good to have and, for non-technical users, kinda needed a clean install.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

codo27 posted:

I haven't had these problems, I was surprised to see Windows 11 gives me the option to downgrade to Windows 10. I feel like that's not in vogue, nobody allows you to downgrade do they? But my experience has been only positive I'm glad I did and don't have any plans to switch back.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Actually my experience has been so positive I recommend if you're unsure just buy Windows 10 Pro, upgrade after you install it and decide afterward.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Those twice a year updates Windows 10 had. Those all were major OS installs. I understand habits learned from using Windows 95 die hard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

I haven't had these problems, I was surprised to see Windows 11 gives me the option to downgrade to Windows 10. I feel like that's not in vogue, nobody allows you to downgrade do they? But my experience has been only positive I'm glad I did and don't have any plans to switch back.

Do you have a touchscreen?

Or is your last name Gates?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I use my computer like a normal person, I don't know what this touchscreen is of which you speak.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Further it's a workstation. I use this computer for work, I use it all day long I have a ton of things running on it. It's a threadripper system which Windows 11 has helped immensely. Whether that's because Windows 10 was bad at handling a lot of cores notwithstanding.

Windows 11 hasn't caused me a single problem.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm looking at picking up a desktop to use as my plex server, run my unifi and some other light stuff. Even though I'm looking on the cheaper end, refurbs and stuff, I dont want to be stuck with W10.

Now I've clean installed 11 on my old Surface pro 3 which is a 4th gen processor, I'm wondering would a M900 thinkcenter with 6th gen i5 allow a clean install. Anyone have any experience? Not finding much on the specific model by searching online. Lenovo's own site doesn't list the particular model as being compatible, but I'm not sure how much I trust that either.

e: there was a bios update for the model just last month, not sure if that matters or not really but I feel like it might be a good sign.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're buying used then you can get stuff like the Optiplex Micro with 10th-gen Intel chips in for around £300, so I would definitely push for something newer than a 6th gen if your budget can get you there.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Ahahaha, I thought something was wrong with my computer. I could no longer drag a file or icon on the desktop into a folder or recycling but just ended up right-click cut and paste while I waited for explorer to unfuck itself. Then I tried dragging a bookmark to a new location on chrome and nothing happening so I made sure I could select and deselect text with my mouse, maybe the left-click isn't holding. Nope.

They removed it as a feature from w11. That's an amazing design choice.

Microsoft q&a posted:

Click to vote
KapilArya answered • May 01 2022 at 7:22 AM | brunolearns commented • Aug 06 2022 at 5:20 AM EXPERT ANSWERCOMMUNITY EXPERT
If you're on Windows 11 stable release, drag and drop is not available currently.

However, drag and drop is now supported on Windows 11 Preview Build 22557 or later.

Apparently it comes and goes though?

Also explorer windows remain physically stuck to the screen a lot. When they randomly become unstuck there is a little nod from the snap dropdown. If it doesn't come down file explorer is stationary but functional. That little feature was bugging me before d&d was discontinued so not sure if related.

I'm on 22H2 (Insider Preview) 22622.575

The ability to open folders in new tabs by middle-clicking them in explorer is cool though I guess.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Hi, so my main PC has decided to become unstable with the latest Windows 11 Pro release and is giving me BSODs every 5 minutes. Rather than simply roll back I want to do a clean reinstall so that I'm starting from scratch - I haven't done that in four years at least and it's been upgraded from Windows 10 during that time.

I have created a bootable USB stick and booted into it. When I get to the activation section it says that there is a problem with my key; if I then say that I don't have a key it will give me a list of OSs to install. When I select Windows 11 Pro I get a charming message to say that the PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements.

My specs are here but my PC can obviously support Windows 11 Pro as I've been running that since shortly after it launched.

Windows tech support suggested reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, then upgrading again (citing BIOS issues). This seems both a waste of time as well as risking a rather less clean installation. My Mobo firmware is up-to-date and has been running Windows 11 Pro for some time now...

Anyone have any ideas?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd just do the Windows 10 install first if it gets your system working again, upgrade installs are absolutely fine so there's nothing to worry about there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just skip the key part

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bouchehog posted:

I have created a bootable USB stick and booted into it. When I get to the activation section it says that there is a problem with my key; if I then say that I don't have a key it will give me a list of OSs to install. When I select Windows 11 Pro I get a charming message to say that the PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements.

My specs are here but my PC can obviously support Windows 11 Pro as I've been running that since shortly after it launched.

Windows tech support suggested reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, then upgrading again (citing BIOS issues).

The 2 main things that will cause 11 to be incompatible is TPM and/or SecureBoot being turned off in the BIOS. Most DIY mobos defaulted these settings to off before 11 because nobody liked TPM and SecureBoot could cause trouble booting alternate OSes / DIY USB sticks. A lot of OEMs put out BIOS updates for otherwise-compatible mobos that flipped those switches, but yours hasn't has an update since 2019.

For your mobo, the BIOS settings are in:
1. Advanced -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support Enable
2. Security -> Secure Boot

If that doesn't work, here are two articles about bypassing the lockout:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-whether-your-pc-is-supported-or-not/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bouchehog posted:

Hi, so my main PC has decided to become unstable with the latest Windows 11 Pro release and is giving me BSODs every 5 minutes. Rather than simply roll back I want to do a clean reinstall so that I'm starting from scratch - I haven't done that in four years at least and it's been upgraded from Windows 10 during that time.

Windows tech support suggested reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, then upgrading again (citing BIOS issues). This seems both a waste of time as well as risking a rather less clean installation. My Mobo firmware is up-to-date and has been running Windows 11 Pro for some time now...

Anyone have any ideas?

Id guess a piece of your hardware broke actually. Try one stick of memory and/or a memory test.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Klyith posted:

The 2 main things that will cause 11 to be incompatible is TPM and/or SecureBoot being turned off in the BIOS. Most DIY mobos defaulted these settings to off before 11 because nobody liked TPM and SecureBoot could cause trouble booting alternate OSes / DIY USB sticks. A lot of OEMs put out BIOS updates for otherwise-compatible mobos that flipped those switches, but yours hasn't has an update since 2019.

For your mobo, the BIOS settings are in:
1. Advanced -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support Enable
2. Security -> Secure Boot

If that doesn't work, here are two articles about bypassing the lockout:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-whether-your-pc-is-supported-or-not/

Strange that it updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 happily but then won't let me do a clean install with the same BIOS settings.

I've updated my BIOS firmware to the latest version (P4.3). This had the happy job of resetting my UEFI to defaults.

I still had the same issue but then managed to find this guide: here which managed to work around the issue by using diskpart to sort out the M.2/partitions and then CMS to copy the installation files over to the M.2 drive and installing from that. I now have a PC running Windows 10 happily... And a new issue.

redeyes posted:

Id guess a piece of your hardware broke actually. Try one stick of memory and/or a memory test.

I've used the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool which does an excellent job of hiding the results. I eventually found them in Event Viewer and it says that no errors were detected.

I only did the standard tests (not the press F1, change to extended tests thing). You may be right about hardware breaking down - I guess I will have to see how stable things are once I've got it back into running condition.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

So, new issue. I've installed Windows 10, which is running quite happily. I want to upgrade back to Windows 11.

Upgrading my BIOS reset the UEFI settings so the health checker was reporting not TMP2 or Secure Boot. I therefore went into my BIOS and enabled secure boot standard settings, secure boot and TPM mode. Booting back into windows and the health check reports that my Secure Boot is still unsupported. I checked MS32info and it says the same.

I did some digging and it was suggested that I needed to disable CSM. I found that in the boot menu and disabled it. Oddly that then forces my machine to boot into windows installer rather than into windows 10*. Re-enabling CSM fixed the issue. I then kept it enabled and set the sub-settings (PXE / storage / video) to UEFI only mode. That lets me boot into windows but Secure Boot is still reporting as 'unsupported'.

Any ideas why disabling CSM would force my machine into the windows loading thing again? Should I try reinstalling windows with CSM disabled?!? Any other ideas?

* I should add that the installation media (USB stick) is not inserted into the PC. The solution to my previous issue was to copy all of those files over to the M.2 and install from that drive. I disabled the boot option to Windows Installer using bcdedit but did not delete any of the actual installation files.

Bouchehog fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bouchehog posted:

I did some digging and it was suggested that I needed to disable CSM. I found that in the boot menu and disabled it. Oddly that then forces my machine to boot into windows installer rather than into windows 10*. Re-enabling CSM fixed the issue. I then kept it enabled and set the sub-settings (PXE / storage / video) to UEFI only mode. That lets me boot into windows but Secure Boot is still reporting as 'unsupported'.

Any ideas why disabling CSM would force my machine into the windows loading thing again? Should I try reinstalling windows with CSM disabled?!? Any other ideas?

* I should add that the installation media (USB stick) is not inserted into the PC. The solution to my previous issue was to copy all of those files over to the M.2 and install from that drive. I disabled the boot option to Windows Installer using bcdedit but did not delete any of the actual installation files.

You may just have the wrong drive selected in the UEFI boot settings? In UEFI you don't select drives per se, you select the actual boot volumes which get proper labels of the OS they are. So if your m.2 drive still has a windows installer on it, it can boot.

If the m.2 drive with the installer is the only option you have, then possibly installing with CSM turned on got Windows to install itself in old-school MBR / BIOS style, rather than new GPT / UEFI style. In which case it won't boot properly as soon as you turn off compatibility mode and are UEFI-only. Or something even weirder, I don't know what the heck your install process might have done because it sounds like you went down a rabbit hole.

If you need a 100% clean start I might actually recommend making a linux live-USB stick so you can use a GUI partition manager to clean & initialize your disks. Switch to UEFI-only before installing windows, make sure everything is GPT, boot & install from the windows installer USB rather than doing weird file copies.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Reinstall with CSM disabled should fix your problem.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Klyith posted:

You may just have the wrong drive selected in the UEFI boot settings? In UEFI you don't select drives per se, you select the actual boot volumes which get proper labels of the OS they are. So if your m.2 drive still has a windows installer on it, it can boot.

If the m.2 drive with the installer is the only option you have, then possibly installing with CSM turned on got Windows to install itself in old-school MBR / BIOS style, rather than new GPT / UEFI style. In which case it won't boot properly as soon as you turn off compatibility mode and are UEFI-only. Or something even weirder, I don't know what the heck your install process might have done because it sounds like you went down a rabbit hole.

If you need a 100% clean start I might actually recommend making a linux live-USB stick so you can use a GUI partition manager to clean & initialize your disks. Switch to UEFI-only before installing windows, make sure everything is GPT, boot & install from the windows installer USB rather than doing weird file copies.

You can easily switch an MBR file system to GPT, in Windows for secondary drives and from a USB Installer for OS drives. MBR2GPT:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/bringup/mbr2gpt-tool-test-guidance

I've used it on more than one computer with no issues, and it only takes a few minutes to run.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CBD Corndog posted:

You can easily switch an MBR file system to GPT, in Windows for secondary drives and from a USB Installer for OS drives. MBR2GPT:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/bringup/mbr2gpt-tool-test-guidance

I've used it on more than one computer with no issues, and it only takes a few minutes to run.
]
Yeah I've linked people to this guide before.

But at this point I don't think GPT is actually the problem -- Bouchehog sounds like he went to a lot of trouble to get the drive into GPT format in the first place. I don't really know what's up and tossing people a visual tool rather than command line stuff is sometimes useful to help them understand what's going on. Hell, a linux live boot has firefox. You can post a dang screenshot.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Kalman posted:

Reinstall with CSM disabled should fix your problem.

So it transpires that disabling CSM entirely and then installing Windows 11 from scratch worked a treat. All fixed save for the inevitable hours reinstalling software and updates. Happy days!

Many thanks for all the assistance all of you!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Enjoy that clean win 11 install. I did mine from scratch like 6 months ago and a lot of tiny issues from my own 3-4 year install disappeared.

Hopefully it's not a hardware issue.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just switched to the Insider Beta channel in order to get early access to some HDR mode improvements. That's worked out to some extent, and SDR content is now properly tone mapped to sRGB color and gamma while in HDR mode when it was a bit off before, though the HDR calibration system Microsoft promised was coming soon six months ago is still not available.

But anyway, one other thing I've noticed after updating is that Windows is just a bit less responsive. Chrome tabs take half a second longer to load when clicking on them. Youtube videos stutter when I mouse over them while they're playing. There's a whole lot of general unresponsiveness here and there—none of it a huge deal or anything, but it's still just noticeable enough to be annoying. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there some kind of logging happening behind the scenes slowing things down now that I'm in the beta channel or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've been on insider (dev I think) for a while now and I can't say I've noticed that. About once a day I get a two second chug that causes audio and video to stutter but I couldn't tell what causes it and the only super annoying thing about it is that it kills the audio on Elgato's crappy capture program

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've been on insider (dev I think) for a while now and I can't say I've noticed that. About once a day I get a two second chug that causes audio and video to stutter but I couldn't tell what causes it and the only super annoying thing about it is that it kills the audio on Elgato's crappy capture program

If you're on an AMD system, update your Bios. It's related to the fwTPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Criss-cross posted:

If you're on an AMD system, update your Bios. It's related to the fwTPM.

Oh, I am actually, I'll look at that in the morning then, thank you