Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The Dead Boy Detectives amazingly had a cameo/minor role in the latest season of Doom Patrol, so that storyline might not be available anyways.

They had better do Norton.

They were supposed to be working on a Dead Boys Detective HBO Max series but considering what's happening with WB right now probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tosk posted:

What throwbacks are there to the Golden Age Sandman, for example? I guess the helm is a reference (judging from the first image I saw of the character when I googled him).

There are TWO former Sandmans and the comic (and therefore the show) pay homage in subtle and not so subtle ways

The original Sandman wore a gasmask, put criminals to sleep and sprinkled sand on them as a calling card (and initially this is what Gaiman was asked to write before DC decided to let him do his own thing) so the Helm sort of resembles a gas mask for that reason.

The other, which sort of plays into the show is a Jack Kirby/Joe Simon creation who lives in the dreams of a child (named Jed) and fights nightmare monsters with his dumb sidekicks Brute and Glob. In The Dolls House Gaiman took this and worked in Hector Hall as that version of The Sandman and made Jed the brother of Rose Walker. The show pays homage by having Jed wear the 70's Sandman costume when he is in his Superhero guise, and Gault takes the place of Brute and Glob, who in the comic wanted to control Jed's dream and use Hector to replace Morpheus, which didn't end up working so good since Morpheus isn't dumb and Hector in the comics WAS very dumb) I miss Morpheus referring to hector as Little Ghost in the show though

muscles like this! posted:

They were supposed to be working on a Dead Boys Detective HBO Max series but considering what's happening with WB right now probably not.

They shot the pilot and Gaiman said it's pretty good, but yeah, don't hold your breath for any show that isn't already on the platform (and even then it's dicey lmao HBOMax is basically dead)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 9, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Tosk posted:

I'm only 5 episodes in but I'm very pleased with the adaptation so far. I read through the comic for the third time about two years ago and it's by far my favorite work of Neil Gaiman, and one of my favorites of all time. I don't know about almost any of the Golden Age references though, interesting to hear even Cain and Abel existed prior to Gaiman's work.

What throwbacks are there to the Golden Age Sandman, for example? I guess the helm is a reference (judging from the first image I saw of the character when I googled him).

So far my favorite scene from the comics that has been adapted is Dream's contest in Hell to recover his helm. The representation of Lucifer from that arc is my favorite depiction of that character in any media, and I really enjoy how they paid homage to the Bowie-like appearance from that part of the comic as well. I didn't mind Dream playing the Oldest Game with Lucifer instead of Choronzon.

I really hope the series gets renewed for another season. I've been recommending Sandman to my friends for the past decade or so and a few of them have finally come around now that it's gotten a mainstream adaptation to draw them in!

1-5 were a good adaptation of the first arc (I agree, Christie's Lucifer was phenomenal, and the game works better with her vs Dream, weird Matthew bit aside), but they absolutely nailed episode 6. Amazing adaptation of two of my favorite individual comic books ever. Tom Sturridge does a good job portraying Dream, but Kirby Howell-Baptiste is Death.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The worst thing about Gwendolyn Christie as Lucifer is that it shows how good a proper Lucifer adaptation starring her would be, and how we'll probably never get it thanks to the lovely Tom Ellis one.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Oasx posted:

I like Jenna Coleman, but I did not care for Constantine on the show. But then again I have never liked any of the Constantine characters.

Constantine has two modes they switch between within each story, sometimes several times
1) loving up so hard all his friends die and go to hell while he runs away
2) pulling a sting on the Vatican so he can grind up and snort the bones of st Nicholas in order to channel the raw power of Santa Claus

Balancing these is the challenge of a good Constantine story, but the reader needs to be on board for a hot mess glass canon character.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Also Neil pointed out that early Constantine had clean clothes and wasn’t as much of the mess they later became.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah constantine being a hot mess is the core of the character, and I liked that part.

Like "on you ghosted a perfectly nice girl because you hate yourself? Go on"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

theblackw0lf posted:

Also Neil pointed out that early Constantine had clean clothes and wasn’t as much of the mess they later became.

poo poo, you're right - I completely blocked that out. Along with the trenchcoat, he used to wear a suit and even gloves in his early Swamp Thing appearances.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also this

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1556819075203997696?s=21&t=Mdk6S2YIKjDNtm11djZP9g

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Someone remind me, are any of the one issue short stories important for understanding the main story?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Someone remind me, are any of the one issue short stories important for understanding the main story?

The two involving Orpheus.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The two involving Orpheus.

What are the name of the issues?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"The Song of Orpheus" which is Orpheus' backstory and "Thermidor" which is the other appearance by Lady Johanna.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

While the show may deem this not the case, I think Three Septembers and a January is also fairly important, not only because it's a great telling of the story of Emperor Joshua Norton, but it is one of the rare stories where Despair is a big part of it, and it sets up why Desire is so intent on making Dream spill family blood.It also would give them an excuse to have more Delirium and I think Delirium will be a smash hit with audiences once she shows up

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While the show may deem this not the case, I think Three Septembers and a January is also fairly important, not only because it's a great telling of the story of Emperor Joshua Norton, but it is one of the rare stories where Despair is a big part of it, and it sets up why Desire is so intent on making Dream spill family blood.It also would give them an excuse to have more Delirium and I think Delirium will be a smash hit with audiences once she shows up

I would be more excited for Delirium if I hadn't already seen Netflix's Cowboy Bebop and it's handling of Ed.

But yeah, given that it's a story with contributions from 5 of the Endless, it'll probably make the cut.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Is there any crossover in creative team at all between Sandman and Cowboy Bebop?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Is there any crossover in creative team at all between Sandman and Cowboy Bebop?

Besides Mason Alexander Park who was Gren, I don't think there are any other crossovers between the shows creatively. Just that both are Netflix releases.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Not to my knowledge, just the last time a program under the Netflix brand messed up a "wacky" character. I quite liked episodes 1-11 of their Cowboy Bebop show, they just torched every bit of goodwill they'd built up with the finale.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Big Sandman fan here, and I was alternating between hope and dread for the series.

The first couple of episodes were...decent, but a bit flat. It felt as if they were being too cautious with style, angles and even colors to not scare away the non-readers. Charles Dance as Burgess was a good choice. But even the nightmare scenes were shot in such bland, uninteresting ways that I had a bad feeling about continuing.

Thankfully, I was wrong. The flow and cinematography really improve from episode 3 and onward. Actual good use of dutch angles, framing and more making the show feel a lot more intense and engaging.

My inner nerd is still a bit peeved that Morpheus is a bit too smily, but I understand that it's a different medium and having the actor just be a monochrome stick in the mud sourpuss would not translate well.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Guy who plays dream has the most annoying and offputting english face in the world. And his hair is too normal

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
love the show but whats the deal with merv's 10fps facial animation?? i mean even gmod animations have smoother movement

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Guy who plays dream has the most annoying and offputting english face in the world. And his hair is too normal

he reminds me of cloud atlas asian face jim sturgess, also doesn't help they vertically stretched his already long face by about 10%

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Booty Pageant posted:

love the show but whats the deal with merv's 10fps facial animation?? i mean even gmod animations have smoother movement

I figured it was an intentional artistic choice. It felt a bit unreal in a cool way

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Comic book question. Is Game of You the first time we meet Thessalian?

Don’t remember her from the other books, but I skipped Dream Country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theblackw0lf posted:

Yes.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

theblackw0lf posted:

I have a feeling they're going to replace her with Constantine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've watched the first episode, and my god what is going on with the lighting. Sometimes -- actually a lot of the time -- the light sources have this horrible digital halo around them like they've been smudged, but then they'll randomly shoot the light sources normally even within the same scene. It's distractingly ugly.

Generally that first episode was very digital looking, in all the worst ways possible.

Episode wasn't that bad tbh, though I think I'd have made some different choices dramatising certain aspects.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The lighting for a lot of the black characters is also not great (though the actress they chose Lucien is generally well shot, I assume because most of her scenes were on closed high priority sets)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

I had forgotten how loving jazzed Hob is about the technological marvels of 1489 :3: In 1989 there was not a lot of pop cultural awareness of how much change actually took place during the middle ages, so it's another little touch of Sandman being ahead of its time.

I'm so fuckin hype for my boi Hob. Always loved his story, like gently caress living is great, so happy he was running his mouth in that bar, always thankful for the deal.

Just did episode 1 this morning and it's good. Holy gently caress I forgot this is where all my metaphysical mumbo-jumbo came from, reading this poo poo in the combination warhammer-store/comicbook-shop is where my whimsical goth aesthetic really solidified into my goofy-serious immortal soul.

Afterwards I did the bootleg thing where I watched a YouTube of a dude going over the "A Game Of You" comic arc. Yo that witch was I C E C O L D. No hesitation, no malice, just slamming dream ravens against the wall and stabbing the sender. Lemmie get my spell kit, we about to saw this face off and nail it to the wall and have a lil chat. See, told you ol dude was threat, confession right there, now let's get all witchcrafty with some blood magic. Homegirl is preggers and ol dude unfortunately blood magic has some :biotruths: baked in. Let's goooooo DREAM WARRIORS

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Three Septembers and a January doesn't set up their rivalry. Why Desire hates Dream wasn't revealed until the Endless Nights collection.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I also think that they will do the midsummer dream story in some form. It's one of the most popular stories, it won an award and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't show Dream talking to Shakespeare and make a deal without expanding on it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My bet is they include literally everything that doesn't involve an onscreen copyrighted superhero in a leotard, and they'll rewrite as much of that as they can.

The show is a smash hit and so far they've barely left out anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My bet is they include literally everything that doesn't involve an onscreen copyrighted superhero in a leotard, and they'll rewrite as much of that as they can.

So far, sure, but it's an expensive smash hit and later on there are multiple books full of side stories with little to no relevance to the story arc full of characters and settings and SFX that get used once and then never show up again. That adds up on the production budget, on top of wrecking any attempt at pacing a season-long arc.

They might pull it off, but I'm betting at least a few stories get thinned out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The writers have floated doing Season of Mists and Game of You next season but with the reception maybe they will try to stretch it out with one major story and several standalone episodes per season. Some could get doubled up like in episode 6, others might require a couple of episodes. I just hope if they do get big ideas that they get to complete them, tv shows are incredibly unstable these days. Hopefully this is more of a Stranger Things where Netflix will stand by it for long enough to finish.

Netflix also has the ability to actually release standalone episodes aside from the main seasons, for instance like Black Mirror, so that would be interesting if they go that route. If Neil and the budget can handle it they could have a separate team doing those since they don't share a lot of actors overall and Morpheus/Sturridge doesn't need to be front and center for everything like a normal show lead would be.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm so fuckin hype for my boi Hob. Always loved his story, like gently caress living is great, so happy he was running his mouth in that bar, always thankful for the deal.

Just did episode 1 this morning and it's good. Holy gently caress I forgot this is where all my metaphysical mumbo-jumbo came from, reading this poo poo in the combination warhammer-store/comicbook-shop is where my whimsical goth aesthetic really solidified into my goofy-serious immortal soul.

Afterwards I did the bootleg thing where I watched a YouTube of a dude going over the "A Game Of You" comic arc. Yo that witch was I C E C O L D. No hesitation, no malice, just slamming dream ravens against the wall and stabbing the sender. Lemmie get my spell kit, we about to saw this face off and nail it to the wall and have a lil chat. See, told you ol dude was threat, confession right there, now let's get all witchcrafty with some blood magic. Homegirl is preggers and ol dude unfortunately blood magic has some :biotruths: baked in. Let's goooooo DREAM WARRIORS
Thankfully the audiobook for A Game Of You get's rid of a lot of the outdated :biotruths: in it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had completely forgotten who Lyta's mom and dad were and burst out laughing when someone reminded me.

Anyway, overall I adored this and need S2 and JLC Hellblazer announcements, stat, now, immediately, etc. After the Collectors talking about him so much in this, it would be a crime not to show us The Family Man getting his poo poo kicked in by Jo.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

achillesforever6 posted:

Thankfully the audiobook for A Game Of You get's rid of a lot of the outdated :biotruths: in it

That's interesting. I thought the part of A Game of You where the moon turned out to basically be a TERF fit in with the way the various gods were depicted in Seasons of Mist. Like, there was a huge crossover between TERFdom and witchy moon-goddess worshipping types, so you'd expect the mood goddess to have those same flaws. I guess the book doesn't quite go far enough in showing that the moon is wrong (even though Gaiman kinda pointed it out in the intro to the trade paperback).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

That's interesting. I thought the part of A Game of You where the moon turned out to basically be a TERF fit in with the way the various gods were depicted in Seasons of Mist. Like, there was a huge crossover between TERFdom and witchy moon-goddess worshipping types, so you'd expect the mood goddess to have those same flaws. I guess the book doesn't quite go far enough in showing that the moon is wrong (even though Gaiman kinda pointed it out in the intro to the trade paperback).

Yeah, he's said elsewhere that this was his intent.

I just got through A Game of You last night on my reread and I'd forgotten just how thoroughly awful and wrong Thessaly was about everything; she gets a bunch of people killed and very nearly gets herself and her neighbors trapped forever and manages to accomplish nothing useful in the process. There are plenty of lovely authors that like to use the "these are the opinions of a fictional character, not the author" card in bad faith but Neil Gaiman is not really very subtle about his opinion of Thessaly's viewpoints.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, he's said elsewhere that this was his intent.

I just got through A Game of You last night on my reread and I'd forgotten just how thoroughly awful and wrong Thessaly was about everything; she gets a bunch of people killed and very nearly gets herself and her neighbors trapped forever and manages to accomplish nothing useful in the process. There are plenty of lovely authors that like to use the "these are the opinions of a fictional character, not the author" card in bad faith but Neil Gaiman is not really very subtle about his opinion of Thessaly's viewpoints.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mortals practicing magic beyond their ken are jerks and I'm happy Episode One called that old guy a who trapped Morpheus a hedge mage, loving disrespectful term for that jerk rear end. It is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The problem is that Thessaly comes off a cool and badass at first, so when she starts throwing around poo poo about the Moon you don't really have a reason to disbelieve her yet. It's only at the end when you can see how little she has done that it comes together.