Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I had one of those last month, though in my case it was "I could've sworn we friended each other years ago" where I caught just enough of them showing up due to mutuals that I didn't realize we hadn't officially conected. Only found out his brother died thirdhand.
It means they deleted you, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I turn off the gas before going on vacation?

I would just kick her out at this point. But yeah, don't let your mil blow up your home.

insure the house for a shitton of money and come back to all your MIL and money problems solved

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I turn off the gas before going on vacation?

I had a very different image in mind the first time I read that they returned to their home "reeking of gas" :v:

But yeah, that one is weirdly bonkers. I wouldn't want her in the house anyway even without the gas on, because she's either malicious or inept at life enough to blow up your house, who knows what else she'd get up to.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Foo Diddley posted:

insure the house for a shitton of money and come back to all your MIL and money problems solved

There's no way the insurance company would ever pay it out tbh

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

start leaving nursing home pamphlets around because "obviously you are a danger to yourself if we leave you alone" and see how quickly she straightens up

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for asking for saying it’s ‘babysitting’ even if the baby is biologically mine

quote:

I(22f) donated my eggs 3 years ago to my friends V and M (30m and 32 M) since they wanted to have a baby. I wasn’t the surrogate but just the egg donor.

Back then they used to say how I’ll be the coolest godmother/aunt to the baby and we’ll be a big happy family etc. Fast forward to when the baby bas was born I only found out through social media posts and when I congratulated them they hesitantly said since I’m the biological mother of the baby, my meeting the said baby might hamper their bonding as parental figure and so didn’t want me to meet him till he’s atleast 2 years old. Well their kid and their call so I never questioned it or argued it.

Last week was baby’s 2nd birthday and they invited me to the party and well I’m good with kids. It’s easy just pretend to enjoy whatever game they are playing and laugh along. They noticed him getting along with me too much and requested I keep some distance from him. I was weirded out but complied. Well yesterday they texted me that V has some family emergency and needed me to take baby for 2 days. I agreed but texted them babysitting rates. As a friend I would’ve agreed but since they never let me interact with baby and acted weird I said I will charged them. Now M is all over internet ranting about how it’s called parenting and not babysitting when it’s your own baby etc etc..

So AITA for babysitting a child whose supposed to be biologically mine?!

Edit: I just found out from a friend that the ‘emergency’ is his sister plans to have lip and cheek fillers and he wants them to be there to ‘emotionally support’ her.

AITA for helping my boyfriend’s daughter with her period?

quote:

At first it might not sound like it, but hear me out.

My (21F) boyfriend Jason (29M) has a daughter, Lily (11F). She is a bright, chattery little thing and I love her to absolute death.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half now and I’ve become a substantial part of their lives. I don’t live with them yet, but I’m over at their place a frequent amount.

I don’t parent Lily. I talk and play and laugh with her, and I’ll answer questions and give advice if asked, but her mother Anna (28F) is in her life and has shared custody (weekends) and I leave the parenting with her. Discipline and important decisions obviously go to the mother and father.

If I was asked, then yes, I would 1000% accept the role as a parent to her. And maybe that day will come if/when I marry my boyfriend.

Anna, Jason, and I have all sat down and discussed our respective roles in Lily’s life and I will respect whatever boundaries are placed. I am more of a cool aunt to Lily and that is okay.

However, a couple days ago we saw a dilemma. I was staying the night at my boyfriend's place and Lily came into our room, bawling her eyes out. She apparently had just gotten her first period and was terrified. I let my boyfriend go to her first and, to our horror, Lily told us nobody had told her this would happen. Not even Anna, her mother. So my boyfriend asked me if I could help her.

I went into the bathroom with her, showed her how to scrub her clothes with cold water to get most of the blood out, and gave her a pad to put on. I explained how it works and left her to put it on. She came out of the bathroom, still crying, and asked me why this happened.

I sat down with her and explained puberty, periods, and growing up. Mostly at a base level; I would leave the rest of it to her mother. She gave me a hug and we sent her back to bed.

Jason thinks I did the right thing and I did, too.

That is, until Anna blew up my phone this morning, claiming that I was trying to take her role and I was overstepping the boundaries that were set. Anna and I have never seen eye-to-eye. We are civil but try not to talk more than we need to.

So, AITA for talking her through her period when it might've been her mother's role? My boyfriend thinks I did the right thing, but when I called my sister and asked her this afternoon, she says I should've just given her the pad and left it alone.

(Also, any and all comments on the age gap between my boyfriend and myself are not appreciated.)

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 10, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking for saying it’s ‘babysitting’ even if the baby is biologically mine

When we don't need you you're a stranger, but when we do - you're a parent!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

"You're a parent when it's convenient for us, otherwise go away."

"gently caress you, pay me" is absolutely appropriate.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The gas mother in law absolutely has dementia

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The_Franz posted:

"You're a parent when it's convenient for us, otherwise go away."

"gently caress you, pay me in advance" is absolutely appropriate.
FTFY because there's no way this couple doesn't try to bullshit their way out of paying OP because "you were just spending time with your daughter".

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fil5000 posted:

Or she's putting it on low and there's a draft, specifically next to the range, that puts the flame out. Or every time she cooks the pan boils over and puts out the flame but she takes "pan has boiled over" as "dinner is ready" and just goes and eats whatever was in the pan. Either way, yeah, turn the gas off at the mains if you're leaving her in the house.

I was about to point out that modern burners should be fitted with FFDs to cut the gas supply if the flame goes out, but apparently the US doesn't believe in stuff like that and there's no laws requiring one?? You learn something every day.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

I was about to point out that modern burners should be fitted with FFDs to cut the gas supply if the flame goes out, but apparently the US doesn't believe in stuff like that and there's no laws requiring one?? You learn something every day.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Booky posted:

AITA for getting angry at my husband for getting the wrong bra size?

r/relationships: He has a C cup on the side

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Most gas ovens I've used have had manual 'spark' buttons. Mother would just have to turn on a ring and not light it to start filling the house with gas.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Elfface posted:

Most gas ovens I've used have had manual 'spark' buttons. Mother would just have to turn on a ring and not light it to start filling the house with gas.

but in all modern gas stoves I have used the gas will not continuing flowing if you don't either manually hold down the knob in the spring loaded "start" position or the flame is lit. I assume it is some heat driven valve because on an older stove can be cranky to start on a cold morning and you are having to hold it in "start" for a minute or two until the flame will stay lit.

If they are committed to having mum in the house, maybe replacing the stove might be in order.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not donating my kidney to my father?

quote:

So I(16m) have never met my father until recently. Not having a father figure growing up was tough for me, it definitely caused emotional damage. It started when I was 7 I see the other kids at school getting picked up by their dads and I just felt... jealous. I remember asking my mom once "Mom, why don't I have a dad like the other kids?", she basically told me the story about my dad and I won't go into detail for privacy reasons but long story short my father cheated on my mom and left my mom while she was pregnant. Going into my teen years not having a father figure was even tougher. This was when my resentment towards my father started. I have what you call "daddy issues", I honestly feel ashamed about it. I can't help but act clingy towards my male friends and be touchy with them, they're fine with it tho so no issue with them. I am grateful for my mom and she did not fail me in any way, I just wish I had a dad too.

2 weeks ago I received a call from an unknown number, It was my father. I didn't know what to feel. I was tearing up, feeling angry, and wanted to curse him out. I couldn't say anything and I just hung up. I told my mom about it and she said I should talk to him, this made me feel angry and I said "No i don't wanna talk to him, he didn't bother to call for 16 years and now he just suddenly calls". She told me I shouldn't hold a grudge and that it's in the past and she's moved on, Well I haven't. I hate him and I don't want him to be in my life. A week later I came home and to my surprise there was a man and a woman and my mom talking at the dining table. It was my dad and his wife. My mom told me to sit down to have a conversation with my dad. He started by apologizing and explaining why he never bothered to contact me. I was having none of it and I was not listening, I just stared at him completely silent. He explained that he needed a kidney transplant and that I might be able to donate one of mine to him. I shed a tear or two while he was talking but I didn't say anything at all. After they left my mom said we were gonna get blood tests to see if I'm a match. A few days later(which is today) we got tested. Im a match. He asked me if i was willing to donate and this was the last straw for me. I blew up at him and started yelling at him saying "First of all, you left us before I was even born. Second, you never bothered to contact me or hell even give us money. And now you come to us asking for my kidney. The audacity to do that is insane, You will never get anything from me. Do not contact me ever. As far as i'm concerned, you can die of kidney failure and I would not care whatsoever". My mom and I went home, she started to scold me for being so rude saying "He is still your dad" "You shouldn't hold a grudge its not healthy". I ran into my room. and now 2 hours later I am writing this. So am i the rear end in a top hat?

gently caress this dad, but also gently caress the mom for putting the kid in that position. Makes me wonder if they weren't talking $$$ before the kid got home.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Almost every time a kidney donation story comes up, someone mentions you can tell the doctor you don't want to do it and they'll report that you're not compatible. Is that an urban legend or did this guy just not know about it?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

The gas mother in law absolutely has dementia

the fact it only ever happens when they go out is sus as all gently caress

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

Almost every time a kidney donation story comes up, someone mentions you can tell the doctor you don't want to do it and they'll report that you're not compatible. Is that an urban legend or did this guy just not know about it?
Sounds like he didn't have a chance - the mother handled the blood test and got the results (which is entirely above-board - the kid is a minor and the mom is the guardian parent).

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AceClown posted:

the fact it only ever happens when they go out is sus as all gently caress

OP mentions in the comments that mom's been checked out for dementia and doesn't have it, so she's definitely doing it on purpose

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FMguru posted:

Sounds like he didn't have a chance - the mother handled the blood test and got the results (which is entirely above-board - the kid is a minor and the mom is the guardian parent).

One of the top comments basically says to slip a note to anyone he meets at any medical appointment:
"I am being coerced into this donating a kidney to a man who abandoned me. I do not consent. I am a child. Help me."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Same day feels like a very quick turnaround on a blood test (or blood tests? A quick google implies they usually do 3 tests, blood type, HLA and Crossmatch), but I'm no expert.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

haveblue posted:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2009.03010.x

Some doctors do it, but it's an ethically dodgy area. Best practise would be to say "It turns out they aren't a suitable donor" and leave it at that.

e: lol 'you shouldn't hold a grudge it's not healthy'. I'll take my chances with a grudge and two working kidneys thank you very much

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

One of the top comments basically says to slip a note to anyone he meets at any medical appointment:
"I am being coerced into this donating a kidney to a man who abandoned me. I do not consent. I am a child. Help me."

I mean, definitely do what you have to in that situation, but can a kid have their parent just go "take their kidney, their opinion does not matter" and a surgeon will just do it? I legitimately know nothing about the situation, I know there's lots of hosed up things in the healthcare industry, but I would've guessed that involuntary organ removal would not happen with only parental consent since there's no medical need on the minor's end.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, definitely do what you have to in that situation, but can a kid have their parent just go "take their kidney, their opinion does not matter" and a surgeon will just do it? I legitimately know nothing about the situation, I know there's lots of hosed up things in the healthcare industry, but I would've guessed that involuntary organ removal would not happen with only parental consent since there's no medical need on the minor's end.

I assume the story takes place in the US, so I'm sure theyll have no problem at all stealing that childs kidney.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I expect it's an emotionally abusive push into donations most of the time, what with Savior babies etc. I imagine it gets into a hosed area of medical ethics real quick though.

There have been a few legal cases I vaguely recall where a child ended up in court and being assigned a guardian or emancipating because parents just want more and more invasive medical stuff to save the other sibling. At that's just in the case of marrow donations, I'm sure there's been "make a baby for it's kidney or liver portion" parents out there.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Biplane posted:

I assume the story takes place in the US, so I'm sure theyll have no problem at all stealing that childs kidney.

Maybe if you find some backalley surgeon or something, but no, you can't harvest organs from a living person against their will just because you are their parent and they are a minor.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm sure the idea with the coercion thing isn't that the kid is saying no while the parents say yes and the doctor just shrugs and starts cutting. It's more like the kid says yes to the parents because they don't want to make things worse but then tells the doctor the truth about what's up so the doc'll find a way to get them out of it.

Also the whole concept of saviour babies is so disturbing to me.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's what, 16? Can't he just get up and walk out of the hospital? What are they going to do, hold him down on the operating table?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

Maybe if you find some backalley surgeon or something, but no, you can't harvest organs from a living person against their will just because you are their parent and they are a minor.

Or you're rich.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, the difference that the other poster was talking about is "not compatible" (which is a lie) versus "not suitable" (which is true, and also sounds like "not compatible" at first blush).

A 16 year old is still probably situationally vulnerable, in that they're probably reliant on their parents or guardians for things like housing, and also legally vulnerable because they're a literal child. The surgeon would need to obtain assent for them to participate and should be able to recognize hesitation on the part of the child and talk through them about that. This sounds like a fairly straightforward transplant and probably isn't going to be a career-maker or be a research study where the doctor or health system might have an interest in performing this outside of clinical care for a patient. Transplant doctors want to help their patients for clinical reasons but they understand that live donors can be greatly impacted too, potentially more than the recipient, and don't take that lightly.

Anyway it doesn't sound like this kid is being coerced particularly heavily, dad has no leverage at all and mom is like "you should stop being so angry and let him into your life" but doesn't seem to actually be angry at him or threatening him or anything.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I don't see what's stopping him setting a price on the kidney. How about all of "Dad's" assets (including the house) plus $1,000,000?

The Dad can take out a loan to cover it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Plucky Brit posted:

I don't see what's stopping him setting a price on the kidney. How about all of "Dad's" assets (including the house) plus $1,000,000?

The Dad can take out a loan to cover it.

Selling your organs is a very tricky thing in most countries, I think.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Selling your organs is a very tricky thing in most countries, I think.

It's not selling her organs, its her father settling any past ParentingDebt before taking on FleshDebt.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not donating my kidney to my father?

gently caress this dad, but also gently caress the mom for putting the kid in that position. Makes me wonder if they weren't talking $$$ before the kid got home.

Yeah it's pretty hosed up this kid has Timon and/or Pumbaa as his mom.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Good ball by Dixon posted:

It means they deleted you, hth.

Nah, they were surprised too. A few years back I scanned and restored an old newspaper photo of a bunch of us that got attention from people who hadn't spoken to each other in ten years, and we lost track in that frenzy of friending and catching up.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

SiKboy posted:

Same day feels like a very quick turnaround on a blood test (or blood tests? A quick google implies they usually do 3 tests, blood type, HLA and Crossmatch), but I'm no expert.

In hospital turn around here is about 4-6 hours. Not sure where / what country this is in, but 16 is old enough to provide informed consent one way or the other. (Consent to procedures is based on understanding the risks and consequences, and not generally tied to a specific age, at least here).

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I hate the mom in that story even more than the dad. The dude is doing the obvious thing to try and not die from kidney disease even though he's a piece of poo poo, but the idea that the mom would allow this poo poo to go on for even a second is loving insane.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
look, it's time you let bygones be bygones and also give up a major organ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The most horrible case of "BUT FAMILY" poisoning I've ever seen.