Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I also like imaging the gruff burly posse of badass swashbucklers at shanghai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smythe posted:

Matt history ep was alright. not sure about his grasp on this subject but it entertained me anyways. the part at the end about the dude telling his peeps to “eat mana” which turns out to be weeds and poo poo and then obviously dying made me laugh. many such cases.
Chinese rulers have a history of trying to become immortal by poisoning themselves, it's very funny.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cloks posted:

i think i screwed up adding the bad faith premium feed to my podcast app, one of the hosts is missing

hmm i don't notice any difference

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also found it odd that he went on that whole "why capitalism took off in europe but not china" which i think was broadly pretty good but didnt mention weber which was strange since every stupid rear end in a top hat in this country had to read that book in middle school so you gotta at least address it lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Chinese rulers have a history of trying to become immortal by poisoning themselves, it's very funny.

hell, cant blame em

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have discovered a new form of podcast: comic audio-book. A nerd retells you the story of a comic book, panning across the panels. All dialog is edited out, so you just gotta trust nerd is giving it to you straight. I guess that's enough of a Fair Use case.

I checked out Sandman on Netflix and got all nostalgic. Volume: 2 Issue 13 into Issue 14 is probably the best dose to try this audio visual experience. Let's see if the YouTube timestamp thingy works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdloOArIMo&t=2608s

Anyways that's a good slice that just kinda explains an entire subset of 90s goth aesthetic. If you dig this, the heavy good poo poo arc is Volume 5 A Game Of You, that's hosed up brutal, dope as poo poo but like 90s edgelord to the point of embarrassing kinda mostly.

Trigger warnings: Hob is still my boy even if he did some casual slave trading. Childhood trauma. Blood magic :biotruths:, witchcraft, nerd voice patron signoff, everyone's is a dick except death, a witch stabs a goon-like shut-in and saws off his face then nails that to the wall to get him to confess how much of a creep he was/is, Morpheus and Barbera technically kill a trans woman and a black lady (who was protecting their dream warrior physical body) by loving with the moon and not being inclusive enough with the language she used for her boon wish, like it's bad under a critical read but in the consistent way that British born American published comic book writers of the era were about the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZvQiozqm4

I've read that Neil Gaimen did like an audiobook kinda thing? Anyone explore the other podcast adjacent things related to the launch of this new prestige television show you just got told exists?

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Aug 10, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Comics Kayfabe is two guys going through comics with a focus the art. They have some experience in the industry and can give insights from that front.

Posting them going through a real trashy 90s Marvel because on this one they barely mention the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHa91TT8FdY

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/thelampmagazine/status/1557411084222488579?t=wVQEWQ1ohULyBt6cb0yl7g&s=19

Ok the catholic thing is getting out of hand

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
shouldn't have made one president then

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Virgil going cath??

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Thief posted:

Virgil going cath??

Omg

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KirbyKhan posted:

I have discovered a new form of podcast: comic audio-book. A nerd retells you the story of a comic book, panning across the panels. All dialog is edited out, so you just gotta trust nerd is giving it to you straight. I guess that's enough of a Fair Use case.

I checked out Sandman on Netflix and got all nostalgic. Volume: 2 Issue 13 into Issue 14 is probably the best dose to try this audio visual experience. Let's see if the YouTube timestamp thingy works.

I've read that Neil Gaimen did like an audiobook kinda thing? Anyone explore the other podcast adjacent things related to the launch of this new prestige television show you just got told exists?

i'm not a comics guy but i love sandman. i find this dude's voice/way of speaking annoying tho.

also this is what my friend said about the netflix show:

quote:

ive watched one ep of the sandman tv series and it seems ok so far

better than preacher by a wide margin, but thats not much of a height to clear

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

virgil vatican city

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Virgil has resurfaced this is not a dril

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

no loving way lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

virgil south texas

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/jesuslasupajew/status/1557434690910535686?s=20&t=T8rudVG8aLntEJEx-irRFA

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

virgil going trad cath? talk about "bad faith" am i right folks

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
we're one step closer to coming full circle and having virgil and sam hyde cohost a podcast

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

virgil going trad cath? talk about "bad faith" am i right folks

dammit i was gonna make a joke about virgil starting a religion podcast called bad faith

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I missed another one; what was it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

brace finally going on the hunt for virgil

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yung chomsky make "the noise"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

I missed another one; what was it?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Huh I wonder if Virgil is going to critique the Clergy’s methods in contrast to his own?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the deleted brace tweet about going Cath getting more sus by the minute. he knew

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Smythe posted:

Matt history ep was alright. not sure about his grasp on this subject but it entertained me anyways. the part at the end about the dude telling his peeps to “eat mana” which turns out to be weeds and poo poo and then obviously dying made me laugh. many such cases.
pros:
-i think he did a better job trying to frame different mindsets going in than some other people who tell the story
-reasonable discussion of the social base and how later history would interpret that

cons:
-like many people he seems to elide the point that the cited death toll is from a multicausal famine that happened at around the same time and maybe framing it as a titanic war of unfathomable scale rather than one of many rebellions on that basis is misleading
-feel like he could’ve asked one person how anything is pronounced
-went a little out of his depth on some of the digressions
-annoying use of meaningless historiographical trope “mandate of heaven”

something that’s not strictly a negative is he specifically mentioned a handful of less podcasted-about bits of early modern chinese history that are also probably more relevant to other themes in his reading of today’s situation (late ming collapse, boxers/late qing collapse), and yet went for another retelling of this series of events that westerners are actually really interested in retelling these days regardless of what the rwn guys say

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Smythe posted:

the deleted brace tweet about going Cath getting more sus by the minute. he knew

he almost certainly got yelled at in the group chat for that one, lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

OH HELL YEAH, he'd be invited to this dumb thing forsure forsure. Conflicts with the live show tho, he's got art to do.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

he almost certainly got yelled at in the group chat for that one, lol

i wonder if he's still friendly with dasha

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is Matt drunk when doing those history episodes

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

Nah

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

err posted:

No, this is Matt drunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V45Q2flGWws

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I like the one where someone made it like a silent film complete with title cards

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I like the one where someone made it like a silent film complete with title cards

yeah that one's the best. i couldn't find it but found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHIF7B5NBfI

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

drat i wonder if the events covered in the pod might have something to do with that. ah well better not think about it too hard

e: i am greatly enjoying blowback season 3 but a little part of me remembers how articulating the exact historiography they cover on the pod was met with ridicule on this very forum not so many years ago

You basically ended up being correct about most things here. I distinctly remember getting annoyed at some of your posts in one of the Bernie threads, and we all know how that turned out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Smythe posted:

From what I can tell he did a fairly decent read of easily available secondary sources, but I'd be surprised if he read many/any primary source translations. Also, like most studies of the Taiping Rebellion, he went long on the early stuff (which is admittedly more interesting) and sort of rushed through the decline and fall, which probably could have provided enough material for another episode if you really wanted to do a deep dive of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
virgil is the antipope