Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

They wasted money on a HNI musical instead of giving us another season and animating the Wally fight smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just learned that ezra miller uses they/it/ze pronouns in the dumbest possible way three posters in the cined greenlight thread got probated for not using them lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Was Fringe good?

yes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

elvis is incredible

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Better be some exploding heads and waaaaAAAAATATATATATATA

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Some Guy TT posted:

i just learned that ezra miller uses they/it/ze pronouns in the dumbest possible way three posters in the cined greenlight thread got probated for not using them lol

Also in 2018 went to a Fantastic Beasts panel at comicon in a Toadette costume and said if he could cast one spell it would be to destroy the patriarchy :allears:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Baba O'Riley episode of Joe Pera is my favorite piece of 'feel good' entertainment.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

My first thought was that the guy was kinda skinny for Kenshiro, but then again I'm not sure if its actually possible to be that insanely jacked and still particularly mobile.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Martyn Ford is probably the closest , he's the fastest big guy I can think of

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1557353589403680768?s=20&t=nvXRBlPh94oQ_PQ5y_kceA

MMCU
Michael Mann Cinematic Universe

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

seems like a standard musical imo

they're all ridiculous

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Baba O'Riley episode of Joe Pera is my favorite piece of 'feel good' entertainment.

Just empty quoting to show my unanimous support

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

incredibly chaotic.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

Lmfao aren't they an actual child rapist?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Supposedly there is a big debate on twitter atm on whether you have to use someone's pronouns if you don't like them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
idc if this take is hot but I refuse to refer to anyone as “it”

they’ll just have to deal with my paleoconservative views on this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Someone has mentioned that the falling rate of profit led to how IP is handled, can someone elaborate? I understand sequels are safe, but executives must realize that the original IP was well, original. Adapting theatre and novels makes sense, but they don’t seen to do that as often, compared to the 50’s-70’s.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont see the big deal of using a person's preferred pronouns even if they're a bag of poo poo. Anyone can be a piece of poo poo!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont see the big deal of using a person's preferred pronouns even if they're a bag of poo poo. Anyone can be a piece of poo poo!

I think it’s intended as an insult or offense but all it really does is make transphobia an acceptable tool to use when you don’t like a person

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone has mentioned that the falling rate of profit led to how IP is handled, can someone elaborate? I understand sequels are safe, but executives must realize that the original IP was well, original. Adapting theatre and novels makes sense, but they don’t seen to do that as often, compared to the 50’s-70’s.
Basically there's an opportunity cost of investment (or borrowing). You need to make back more than you could get say investing in equities or real estate. You also need to make back more than the investment costs, not just break even, because other ventures won't pan out. You also need to beat predicted earnings since investments have an expected value of earning that it's very bad for shareholders to miss. if movies were more profitable investments than say... investing in real estate and flipping houses, then more capital would flow into it seeking those high returns and also flooding the market reducing the overall profit.

generally what's happened is starting in the 90s and beyond was consolidation of movie studios/production into fewer megacorps to generally juice the profit enjoyed by shareholders of megacorp to sort of subsume competition but also now labor has to stagnant to increase general profitability and also can be increasingly selective about IP work since there's generally less competition and threat of some new breakout IP. And for capital expenditure, why take a risk on $150million experimental new IP movie, that you now need to spend extraordinarily more on marketing (say another $150 million) because it doesn't market itself and unknown profitability, when you can instead spend $150 million on a new 10th Harry Potter movie that you only need to market for $50m and you have expected earnings based on previous movies.

this means you end up with spending on movies that "market themselves" such as prequel, sequels, or remakes of beloved movies because you can anticipate earnings based on past performance, spend less on marketing because it's a known, and can more easier sell the capital procurement to Bond holders.

idk if i explained it very well

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

idk if i explained it very well

That was great, thanks.

If I understand, in the 70’s a car parts company could throw a lot of money behind adapting a novel because the expected profit was enough to be more profitable than buying real estate, but now only sure-things and worthwhile. Having a brand people recognize secures the profit because they’ve already heard of Harry Potter or whatever.

Is that about right?

Heat was a somewhat risky film, but the business has changed since 1995 so instead of a similarly ambitious crime drama the studio wants to use the name recognition to reduce the risk to their investment in making a new movie today.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

I think it’s intended as an insult or offense but all it really does is make transphobia an acceptable tool to use when you don’t like a person

definitely

"no no it's okay if I call ben carson the n word, he's a republican!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

Exactly.

While I think the people in CD that I've probed over it were making honest mistakes, I've already warned the multiple threads where Ezra comes up about using the correct pronouns and someone making an honest and someone purposely doing it can be impossible to determine sometimes so I don't want it normalized as okay. Even for bad people.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Avengers endgame made back 7x to 8x its production cost in box office alone.

Now think about merchandise, streaming rights, bluray sales, etc.

It's not just that an IP markets itself. They are IPs that market bed sheets, videogames, limited edition soda cans etc.

If you consider the universal/pixar/disney animated films as kinda one "IP" - they function like an IP (the next pixar film!)

The only movie that made bank in the 2010s and doesn't have a toy line associated was Bohemian Rhapsody lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Frosted Flake posted:

That was great, thanks.

If I understand, in the 70’s a car parts company could throw a lot of money behind adapting a novel because the expected profit was enough to be more profitable than buying real estate, but now only sure-things and worthwhile. Having a brand people recognize secures the profit because they’ve already heard of Harry Potter or whatever.

Is that about right?

Heat was a somewhat risky film, but the business has changed since 1995 so instead of a similarly ambitious crime drama the studio wants to use the name recognition to reduce the risk to their investment in making a new movie today.
yea i think close enough.

now "Risk" of new IPs can be mitigated by a significant attached naming, in at least as it helps in procuring Capital Investment, by saying "we got Martin Scorsese (or Tom Cruise) on board! all of martins movies make 30% profit!". so in some sense Heat wasn't that risky because it had Al Pacino, Michael Mann, De Niro, and throwing those helps in capital procurement and going "hmm yes ok this will make us rich". that's a bit less so true since the 2000s since why not get Tom Cruise AND put him in Mission Impossible 9 instead of making a brand new OG world. win/win!

streaming and resurgence of local 'hip' cinema and stuff has kinda been an interesting thing because we've seen a big resurgence of small budget directorial-controlled movies coming out: A24 being the poster child but also other ones like Annapurna and stuff. these don't cost $999 million to make, like Midsommar was a budget of something like $10 million and did very well. it turns out capital has discovered there's just enough profit in throwing money at small-scale projects whre they gently caress off and let new or non-big-name directors like David Lowery, Ari Aster, Refn, Robert Eggers, etc can make good movies and have actors who are perfectly fine accepting $400k for 7 months of work. these don't always pan out but they're a small enough investment that it's easy enough to write off and not be embarrassed if it bombs. but at the same token, they don't make $$$$$$$$ even at their best so it's not as glamorous but there's still enough capital interest in profit to keep going at it.

the mid budget new movie largely still remains kinda dead though compared to the 80s.

there's also the general capital trend of consumer wage stagnation and ever competing fields for their little money. what used to be affordable to masses of families who dad is a garbage collector or something taking the family out to the cinema every weekend now has to be more metered out. If a consumer is only going to see 4 movies a year, they're gunna take the Kids out to the ol' Marvel movie so lets do marvel movies since it's a surefire bet for Joe Family to give us money on it. Joe Family isn't going to risk his paycheck to take the kids out to some no-name movie. this isn't just cinema but also everything from hardware stores to boots to clothing to furniture. what may have been affordable shopping at a local furniture store now means we gotta spend it at IKEA instead.

Antonymous posted:

It's not just that an IP markets itself. They are IPs that market bed sheets, videogames, limited edition soda cans etc.

If you consider the universal/pixar/disney animated films as kinda one "IP" - they function like an IP (the next pixar film!)

The only movie that made bank in the 2010s and doesn't have a toy line associated was Bohemian Rhapsody lol
also all this but i think marvel is a special kind of hell but it's certainly a consideration in the profit. license more harry potter toys and games or batman or whatever. and let the IP itself advertise for the next installment in the IP.

e: in theory you could say eventually consumers are going to get burned on some lovely franchise movie and go "man the last one sucked rear end, im not going to bother with the new one" and that's certainly a risk leading to eventual IP collapse and needing to rebirth something new after all the IPs have been exhausted by virtue of eventually being bad. unfortunately that's still mostly hypothetical for many of the other reasons

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Aug 10, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the big $400 million dollar movies are more likely to see big returns than 10x $40 million dollar movies.

It's like building a car, if your budget is $4000 the car you design and build isn't going to be worth $4000 no matter what.

But if you have $40,000 you're more likely to make a viable product. And if it says TOYOTA on it it's even better.

edit: consumers trust their previous experience more than any advertising, so a "brand" or "IP" is functionally more than just "free" advertising. There is also the human obsession with completeness, if I've seen 2 iron men I should see how his story ends

it's also why you need celebrity talent

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Aug 10, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

it's also why you need celebrity talent

like kumail

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

kumail is a mark of quality

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

I read an excerpt (think it was from a book, could have been an interview) where Dave Morell, the author of First Blood, was talking with the lawyer or money manager (not his agent, I don’t think he had one at the time) who was working with him on having the novel made into a movie, and on the call going over the final contract he’s listing stuff off “ok so if you look at the next page I got you included on any movie edition reprints of the novels, story and characters credits on any sequels, royalties for any merchandising in retail stores like action figures, and school supplies” Dave interrupts him like “wait, sequels? action figures? what are you talking about, who is gonna want a lunch box with John Rambo on it” and his lawyer had to fight with him about it, saying “you’re paying me to look out for this stuff, trust me”

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

indigi posted:

95% of liberals think it's okay to call donald trump a dirty gross homosexual who's totally gay for putin and that's fine because they hate it, so expecting any more on an issue they're currently trying to burn rights away from as fast as possible with transphobia seems excessively hopeful

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

we are all in the kingo respect army

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

pronoun adjacent microaggressions are rapidly becoming the rape of the lock of our era

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cael posted:

we are all in the kingo respect army

empty quote

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so uh are people trying to gatekeep sandman because id like to know how or why

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmfao aren't they an actual child rapist?

They may have groomed a child who they may have kidnapped. They some how got off the Hawaiian islands while wanted by the police.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm gatekeeping it as the last decent Metallica song.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo hard knocks is back on

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Antonymous posted:

Queen absolutely has action figures and any other type of merch

Some Guy TT posted:

the comic book guy gatekept me from Sandman when I tried to by it with my allowance when I was 10.

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Aug 11, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

people are probably mad about race/gender swapping, LGBTQ inclusion, etc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah some of the white characters in the comics got cast by black people, including Death, and you know how that upsets the gamergate crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

Yeah some of the white characters in the comics got cast by black people, including Death, and you know how that upsets the gamergate crowd

ahem that's the comicsgate crowd