Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Chalks posted:

Yeah, but what impact do you think stopping them from going on holiday in Europe has? They go on holiday to Dubai or somewhere else... so what? Like, you're saying "it is a good thing to feed Putin's isolationist agenda because the positive effects outweigh the downside" but that positive is like.... a basically identical holiday in a different location?

The effect is tiny no matter what, but there seems to be no actual upside to preventing European tourism specifically. If we had a monopoly on holiday destinations it would be a different story.

Tourism is a luxury for the middle and upper class and depriving the middle and upper class of luxuries is good because it keeps their attention on the cause of their deprivations and creates an incentive to put pressure on their government to address it. It's possibly that they will not put pressure on the Russian government and certainly that would be unfortunate but it is worth it to try it.

I see no downside. There is no indication that Russian tourists over the last 30 years have made Russia any more tolerant, inclusive or democratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

Tourism is a luxury for the middle and upper class and depriving the middle and upper class of luxuries is good because it keeps their attention on the cause of their deprivations and creates an incentive to put pressure on their government to address it. It's possibly that they will not put pressure on the Russian government and certainly that would be unfortunate but it is worth it to try it.

We should also then surly restrict immigration from China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

We should also then surly restrict immigration from China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, right?

The post you quoted specifically mentions tourism, not immigration. Do you have concerns with restricting tourism from Russia? I assume you do.

Or maybe a reason why you are conflating tourist visas with every other kind of visa/immigration in general?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

The post you quoted specifically mentions tourism, not immigration. Do you have concerns with restricting tourism from Russia? I assume you do.

Or maybe a reason why you are conflating tourist visas with every other kind of visa/immigration in general?

What other type of visa would you like people to get? I guess they can try to get a job in an EU country or try to cross the border illegally and hope that they don't get deported or arrested by Russian border services and charged with espionage.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia has resorted to deploying wacky waving arm inflatable flailing tube missiles in Crimea:

https://twitter.com/na_intel/status/1557381938742263808

Edit: Ah drat seems to be footage from 2018, but it's entirely believable otherwise based on what we've seen so far

In penance, have some before and after photos of that airbase strike. Photos are destroyed aircraft and craters, no bodies or anything like that

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 10, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Again, Russia has passport control on BOTH SIDES of the border, you can't just go up to the guy and say "I have committed crimes and would like to leave now :)"

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

I'm fully in favor of immigration and exchange students from Russia, China, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

I have no problem with a stop for tourist visas for Chinese citizens if they invade Taiwan for example or for Saudi Arabian citizens for their war in Yemen and so on.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I might have some opinions on tourist visas or immigration visas but I'm willing to defer to official Ukrainian policy that requests the cessation of all Russian visas. After the war, the policy can be revisited.
This has support from Belgium, Finland, Latvia, Estonia and I believe the Czechs and Poles and is to be discussed among EU reps Aug 31.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

I'm fully in favor of immigration and exchange students from Russia, China, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

I have no problem with a stop for tourist visas for Chinese citizens if they invade Taiwan for example or for Saudi Arabian citizens for their war in Yemen and so on.

I'm just never going to agree that it is better to send dissidents to the penal colony or journalists to be mutilated than risk a rowdy tourist, sorry.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1557427416687075329

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 10, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

I'm just never going to agree that it is better to send dissidents to the penal colony or journalists to be mutilated than risk a rowdy tourist, sorry.

I would strongly suggest dissidents and journalists get a tourist visa for Turkey or any number of other countries.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

I would strongly suggest dissidents and journalists get a tourist visa for Turkey or any number of other countries.

So tourism isn't the issue, just potential tourism near you? All countries shouldn't follow suit if the goal is to create regime change?

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

I don't know about the EU at all, but in the US applying for visit visa (one purpose of which is tourism) then petitioning for asylum is a totally valid way for a Russian dissident to immigrate. Shutting off the tourist visa (equivalent) pipeline would mean some number of people who are trying to escape would end up stuck.

Edit: slow posting, beaten repeatedly

Neorxenawang fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Neorxenawang posted:

I don't know about the EU at all, but in the US applying for visit visa (one purpose of which is tourism) then petitioning for asylum is a totally valid way for a Russian dissident to immigrate. Shutting off the tourist visa (equivalent) pipeline would mean some number of people who are trying to escape would end up stuck.

Not only one way, but by far the easiest, fastest, and safest, especially since Russia seems to be making moves to shut off aliyah and restrict emigration in general.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Neorxenawang posted:

Edit: slow posting, beaten repeatedly
Tourist visa policy isn't going to cause regime change, nobody is claiming that.

And we can't get all countries onboard with sanctions, so why would anyone expect that to be possible with visas. Especially when it comes to loving Turkey.

Chalks posted:

I see where you're coming from. I'm not opposed to the idea that all Russians who remain in Russia (apart from those brave souls who are attempting to resist or protest) are to some extent complicit in what's happening and I get the impulse to want to punish them for this. It makes sense, and if you could tell me that those Russians would see this happening and take a good look at themselves and feel bad about what their country was doing as a result then yeah, absolutely, lets do this.

My fear is that it's more likely that it'll feed into Putin's agenda, increasing his support and lengthening the war.

In reality, this impact will be negligible no matter what (and maybe that alone makes it fine to do), but I think it'll be a net negative in the long term and we need to be careful.
The thing is that not restricting it is also playing into Putin's agenda. Just speaking to some relatives in russia, they're under the impression that this whole thing is overblown and not a big deal. Besides beets being 20% more expensive or whatever, what else has changed? They can even go chill in Italy for a week, so it can't possibly be a horrific atrocity that their country is perpetrating. Plus it would mostly impact the muscovites and other upper-middle class people who matter at least a bit to the regime.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Those photos from the airfield are pretty :stare:. That's one hell of a loss of irreplaceable aircraft for Russia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has the US DoD made any statement on estimated loss of aircraft in that incident? I tend to find those briefings to be most reliable.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Has the US DoD made any statement on estimated loss of aircraft in that incident? I tend to find those briefings to be most reliable.

It was stated that the munition used wasn't provided by the US. On the other hand, there may have been guidance components provided but that's just speculation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Belling Cat says the craters from the explosions at the airport seem to be about 20 - 25 meters across.

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1557472457350594560?s=21&t=CwWBjhvSoapRCV_3m_zoMg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

Belling Cat says the craters from the explosions at the airport seem to be about 20 - 25 meters across.

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1557472457350594560?s=21&t=CwWBjhvSoapRCV_3m_zoMg
The thing is that all the craters seem to be located exactly where ammunition had been stored, if you look at the pre-photos. So I have to say I'm not entirely convinced it's a missile strike. Maybe sabotage. Or incompetence. In the available videos, you can see three explosions, but the field was already smoking before that. So either there was something going off that didn't leave a visible crater, or maybe it was just a fire that got out of control because Ivan "forgot" to cut the grass.

I'm cool with any scenario though.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Tourist visa policy isn't going to cause regime change, nobody is claiming that.

And we can't get all countries onboard with sanctions, so why would anyone expect that to be possible with visas. Especially when it comes to loving Turkey.

The thing is that not restricting it is also playing into Putin's agenda. Just speaking to some relatives in russia, they're under the impression that this whole thing is overblown and not a big deal. Besides beets being 20% more expensive or whatever, what else has changed? They can even go chill in Italy for a week, so it can't possibly be a horrific atrocity that their country is perpetrating. Plus it would mostly impact the muscovites and other upper-middle class people who matter at least a bit to the regime.

I suspect you meant to quote Fishbulbia, but I wasn't really addressing what influence visa bans might have on the Putin regime's stability. I agree that visa bans likely will have basically no effect one way or the other. I am totally supportive of sanctions that undermine the Russian war machine, even if they harm the civilian economy as a side effect (like cratering car production), but closing avenues for dissidents to escape seems like it does real harm for relatively little real benefit.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Didn't they lose a bunch in Syria with a similar strike?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Neorxenawang posted:

...does real harm for relatively little real benefit.
Hard disagree. Eccentric, occasional nutcase Kamil Galeev makes a decent argument.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1557410695444144128
Tourism issue is not just tourism issue. Russian public opinion interprets it as the marker of the *real* attitude of Europe. When Macron/Scholz express a deep concern, Russian public either laughs over it or interprets it as the de facto endorsement. Empty words, no action

Visa ban may be a small action, but it is an action. Unlike words visa ban has nonzero value. This can and will be interpreted as Europe being *actually* upset about what's happening in Ukraine and probably even somewhat angry. It's a sign of actual, unironic disapproval

To sum up. Any signs of business as usual, including tourism, are viewed as acceptance/endorsement of Russia's policies. Russian people are no idiots. They get that if Russia's behaviour is unpunished, it means Russia got away with it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

the popes toes posted:

Hard disagree. Eccentric, occasional nutcase Kamil Galeev makes a decent argument.

Are the economic sanctions not obvious to the Russian populace already? I have no opinion on the visa thing but my reading is that it is a reaction against that Russian tourist harassing people in Austria that went viral on reddit.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Are the economic sanctions not obvious to the Russian populace already? I have no opinion on the visa thing but my reading is that it is a reaction against that Russian tourist harassing people in Austria that went viral on reddit.

I don't know how impactful or even visible the sanctions are on the middle class, the tourist class. But I would hazard that the sanctions are viewed as wholly American, something one can escape or get a vacation from in playground Europe.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

the popes toes posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1557410695444144128
Tourism issue is not just tourism issue. Russian public opinion interprets it as the marker of the *real* attitude of Europe. When Macron/Scholz express a deep concern, Russian public either laughs over it or interprets it as the de facto endorsement. Empty words, no action

Visa ban may be a small action, but it is an action. Unlike words visa ban has nonzero value. This can and will be interpreted as Europe being *actually* upset about what's happening in Ukraine and probably even somewhat angry. It's a sign of actual, unironic disapproval

To sum up. Any signs of business as usual, including tourism, are viewed as acceptance/endorsement of Russia's policies. Russian people are no idiots. They get that if Russia's behaviour is unpunished, it means Russia got away with it.

Aww Toomas deleted the tweet where he declared that a Ukrainian was actually a Russian emigre.

https://twitter.com/yudbrit/status/1557440250716139520

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WarpedLichen posted:

The government is still desperately trying to keep plates spinning and balls in the air. It hasn't all crashed yet for the people in the cities, but it eventually will.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

Aww Toomas deleted the tweet where he declared that a Ukrainian was actually a Russian emigre.
It's still up.
https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1557285900580798464

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The moral of the story is there needed to be two Berlin walls.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This airfield in Belarus was used extensively by Russia. No video or audio yet and two isn't enough for a trend buuuut
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1557499567557443590?t=uIPRVrts82COrCb3j45qfg&s=19
Meanwhile Ukraine lost a Bayraktar. It's from the first batch of em Ukraine got, so it appears the Russian tales of drone death have been somewhat exaggerated
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1557511572259577858?t=K7oBkyGsmI2floREpemTOg&s=19
Maps pt 1
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1557482676784955395?t=zxrIlVGsPCO6AsjxoLKu4w&s=19
Maps pt 2
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1557414506438983683?t=NYzqBQZpXZ1mlF5cCBAibQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1557414523950305286?t=WwxzGHzuhQrX7oGs0nXXGg&s=19

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

HonorableTB posted:

Edit: Ah drat seems to be footage from 2018, but it's entirely believable otherwise based on what we've seen so far

Honestly, I'm very much in favor of inflatable fakes strewn everywhere to attract strikes, because it works at an interestingly low price point.

Russia may be again demonstrating how to undercut basic strategy / war methodology via incompetence and poor supply, though, because lurking drones and other forms of new reconnaissance will very easily figure out which are the decoys, if your decoys are poorly secured and strangely rotund ones pulling Wacky Inflatable Artillery Tube Man in the slightest breeze

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Chalks posted:

You may be right, in my head the fascists are going on holiday to Crimea as they're being urged to by their propaganda and they would probably be viewed suspiciously by their patriotic neighbours if they went on holiday to Poland in the same way many people in this thread would have questions if you or I booked a holiday to Russia.

That said, the whole situation isn't exactly awash with rational actions and I have no evidence either way.

The Russian equivalent to MAGA chuds sure. But the Russian equivalent to still Trump voting country club assholes is def still going to Paris, Rome, and Amsterdam.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FishBulbia posted:

No one is talking about immigration, and considering this is the second time you've attempted to hijack the discussion in that direction I think you're well aware of this.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
On a tourism ban:

I’m much more interested in actions that will reduce the ability of Russia to wage war; less so signaling to Russians that Europe is very upset. Europe has bought billions in fossil fuels that are financing the war for Russia. Maybe they can show off their superior moral position once the EU stops shoveling in hard currency that is generating Ukrainian corpses.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Grape posted:

No one is talking about immigration, and considering this is the second time you've attempted to hijack the discussion in that direction I think you're well aware of this.

Again, a tourist visa is the easiest way to flee. How exactly do you expect Russians to get out of their country, much less move to a new one, without visas?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

Again, a tourist visa is the easiest way to flee. How exactly do you expect Russians to get out of their country, much less move to a new one, without visas?

There are other visa types than tourist visa. You do realize that Russians are not automatically granted asylum because Russia is considered a safe country? They can apply for asylum but that doesn't mean that they won't be turned back.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

I don't think the average Ukrainian gives a flying gently caress about Russians who can afford to travel, whether they're trying to escape or not.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

There are other visa types than tourist visa. You do realize that Russians are not automatically granted asylum because Russia is considered a safe country? They can apply for asylum but that doesn't mean that they won't be turned back.

And? They should grant them asylum though, along with the Ukrainian refugees who are being turned away too of course by the same bureaucracies set up with racist aims. Immigration makes countries stronger, its a win win.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I discussed this a long time ago. My statement was the first major strike in Crimea from ATACMS and we'd see instant flight from crimea because it would mean they could be trapped if the bridge were to have a fire safety violation.

Obviously wrong weapon but right idea. The flight of the tourists is a very bad sign for Russia. The veil is being lifted by Ukrainian missiles. You can't say the war is going well when an air base explodes Infront of you and it's probably the loudest thing you've ever heard which will mentally shake the duck out of you.

These people are probably going to be coerced not to say a thing about what just happened Infront of them to keep the narrative cohesive.

Just a crazy level of damage dollar wise for a single missile which Ukraine has what like 3 of? 2 of which used in the Moskva?

Are they making more at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Based on those satellite photos, it had to of been multiple missiles (if it was missiles at all). It will mostly be speculation until we get some official statements by NATO/Western governments saying what it was.