Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Isn't Judicial Watch a front organization for Larry Klayman? That would be their interest in this? They've acted as a conservation culture war front organization in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Department of Justice obtained Mar-a-Lago surveillance tapes after subpoenaing Trump Organization

Article is behind a soft paywall. Looking for more, but it's a neat little detail I wasn't aware of.

:captainpop:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Morroque posted:

Isn't Judicial Watch a front organization for Larry Klayman? That would be their interest in this? They've acted as a conservation culture war front organization in the past.

Correct. The simple answer is that conservative entities also want to know what's in the warrant, either to use it to attack Trump or to attack the search.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Morroque posted:

Their obvious goal would be to ridicule it and make it look trivial and politically motivated, regardless of reality.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Morroque posted:

Technically Larry Klayman doesn't work there anymore after he was forced out, but they are definitely still a conservative watchdog group and shouldn't be trusted to do anything for the right reasons.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-informer-told-fbi-what-docs-trump-was-hiding-where-1732283

quote:

A Secret Service source who spoke on background said the Secret Service director was given advance warning and was later told the specifics of the raid.

Because the Secret Service is still responsible for protecting the former president, his family, and his property, the FBI had to coordinate with the Secret Service to gain access to the grounds

Lots more detail about scheduling, planning, coordination, even the burden of proof to get the judge to sign the warrant. They ultimately did everything correctly but people are just complaining because someone had a chance to show up and start protesting. It takes a long time to go through a place of that size.

It would have been much, much worse if Trump was on the premises. While there wasn't a group of private militia standing ready on the front lawn, he would have tried to get them there within 2hr to escalate the situation to a standoff.

fwiw, in addition to "deep state", "raid!", it looks like there's going to be some reaching back to claims of "there was no whistleblower".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

LeeMajors posted:

I was a kid during Reagan, but was there a similar streak of automatic defensive bootlicking during like Iran-Contra?

I mean, it's fascism. But it feels pretty different--even compared to the valiant defense of Bush's war crimes.

Hell, they turned a criminal (Ollie North) into a 'hero'.

toterunner
Apr 25, 2022
:byodood::byodood::byodood: I AM ALMOST CERTAINLY "DAVID SMOLINSKI" COMING FRESH OFF MY BAN FROM THE ARS TECHNICA FORUMS TO SPEW MORE NONSENSE :byodood::byodood::byodood:

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-informer-told-fbi-what-docs-trump-was-hiding-where-1732283

Lots more detail about scheduling, planning, coordination, even the burden of proof to get the judge to sign the warrant. They ultimately did everything correctly but people are just complaining because someone had a chance to show up and start protesting. It takes a long time to go through a place of that size.

It would have been much, much worse if Trump was on the premises. While there wasn't a group of private militia standing ready on the front lawn, he would have tried to get them there within 2hr to escalate the situation to a standoff.

fwiw, in addition to "deep state", "raid!", it looks like there's going to be some reaching back to claims of "there was no whistleblower".

So the source considers the raid a spectacular backfire and Garland is trying to distance himself from it.

quote:

The effort to keep the raid low-key failed: instead, it prompted a furious response from GOP leaders and Trump supporters. "What a spectacular backfire," says the Justice official.

"I know that there is much speculation out there that this is political persecution, but it is really the best and the worst of the bureaucracy in action," the official says. "They wanted to punctuate the fact that this was a routine law enforcement action, stripped of any political overtones, and yet [they] got exactly the opposite."

The senior Justice Department source says that Garland was regularly briefed on the Records Act investigation, and that he knew about the grand jury and what material federal prosecutors were seeking. He insists, though, that Garland had no prior knowledge of the date and time of the specific raid, nor was he asked to approve it. "I know it's hard for people to believe," says the official, "but this was a matter for the U.S. Attorney and the FBI."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It backfired because the chuds got mad? They'd get mad no matter what.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

toterunner posted:

So the source considers the raid a spectacular backfire and Garland is trying to distance himself from it.

That doesn't seem to be what the source is saying at all. Rather, they're saying that the FBI went out of their way to minimize the media profile of the raid, in hopes that it would be more likely to be seen as non-political, but this backfired by making it easier for the GOP to set the narrative.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

toterunner posted:

So i guess the lesson to be learned is that some people are above the law?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mobby_6kl posted:

It backfired because the chuds got mad? They'd get mad no matter what.

And they're gonna get mad again when the boat loads of evidence are made public during Trump's prosecution. I guarantee you the decision makers don't give one flying gently caress how chuds react.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

That doesn't seem to be what the source is saying at all. Rather, they're saying that the FBI went out of their way to minimize the media profile of the raid, in hopes that it would be more likely to be seen as non-political, but this backfired by making it easier for the GOP to set the narrative.

I don’t believe that for a second. There is absolutely no way the FBI didn’t expect this to receive exactly the response it got. It was a literal historical event involving an inflammatory GOP hero. Any work they did to minimize the media profile would have been to assure themselves they weren’t making a spectacle out of it, not the GOP.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

toterunner posted:

Newsweek is a rightwing rag now and I don't trust agent Trumper Praetorian guard dipshit opinion on things above hamberder removal.

There is no way a federal judge and the FBI director did not cross every t and dot every i on that warrant.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If (assuming this source is credible and correct which is not established at all) the people who made the decision truly thought this was going to be a low-key non-political thing then they are too stupid to continue working at their jobs or to be trusted with any meaningful decisions.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trump admin people think that because they would have done this as shoddily executed political harassment, everyone else is too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The people who made this decision don’t give a gently caress about how it looks. I don’t think that would enter into Garland’s decision to okay this or not.

Look at his earlier comments re Jan 6.

“We intend to hold everyone, anyone who was criminally responsible for the events surrounding Jan. 6, for any attempt to interfere with the lawful transfer of power from one administration to another, accountable. That’s what we do. We don’t pay any attention to other issues with respect to that.”

The GOP and nutters can scream all they want. Political pressure isn’t going to change the direction of the investigations by the DOJ here.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The degree to which they cared probably began and ended at whether or not there'd be a body count. They succeeded in that regard, to their credit

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Riptor posted:

The degree to which they cared probably began and ended at whether or not there'd be a body count. They succeeded in that regard

i hope you're right, cos I almost instinctively added "for now" to the end of that sentence :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Switzerland posted:

i hope you're right, cos I almost instinctively added "for now" to the end of that sentence :ohdear:

Of course, people will die from that decision. Given a a large enough time scale, every decision will lead to death.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

toterunner posted:

I don't see that at all; Garland was never going to treat this as something he has to sell. It feels like you rarely see or hear from the man; Fox News has, really, very few soundbites to use when attacking him, if any, aside from his confirmation hearings, I guess.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Red posted:

I don't see that at all; Garland was never going to treat this as something he has to sell. It feels like you rarely see or hear from the man; Fox News has, really, very few soundbites to use when attacking him, if any, aside from his confirmation hearings, I guess.

Right. Garland understandably doesn't want this to look like his personal baby, or motivated by any individual and especially political appointees in the agency, sure. But his approach has been to shut up and do his job rather than grandstanding about it. I guess from a certain right-wing tabloid perspective that would qualify as "distancing himself" but that's just since showing off how you're getting the bad guys is how they think police/prosecutors should work.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MrMojok posted:

Even if it’s specifically about the mishandling of classified info, that’s no trivial thing because—-

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1556790714612203521?s=21&t=UuPHMLE5AtxpF69nJm3Knw

I can think of at least one instance where someone was prosecuted even though there wasn't transfer to a third party.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

So for everyone who wants to have Garland talk...

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1557793686024601601

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mirotic posted:

So for everyone who wants to have Garland talk...

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1557793686024601601

That was like 90 seconds long, and he probably felt compelled to do it, given someone in body armor literally attacked an FBI office.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Red posted:

That was like 90 seconds long, and he probably felt compelled to do it, given someone in body armor literally attacked an FBI office.

And, here's the motion to unseal parts of the warrant and property receipt, which was filed by a US Attorney in Florida and...

Source:

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1557806632490377216?t=JVHxZwF4abliKfiS8jFWrw&s=19

Edit - clarified what this motion is for

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He didnt say much that we didnt already know, that this was all legal.
Heres a short clip of his short speech.

https://twitter.com/NeoJane8/status/1557807696799301632

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mirotic posted:

And, here's the motion to unseal parts of the warrant and property receipt, which was filed by a US Attorney in Florida and...

Source:

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1557806632490377216?t=JVHxZwF4abliKfiS8jFWrw&s=19

I mean, it's not surprising, and the screams from the hardcore chuds will be "ANOTHER RUSSIA HOAX", but, well

God drat

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mirotic posted:

Source:

LOOKS LIKE TREASON IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS!!! :getin:

Holy poo poo he's been selling info

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1557811896610394112

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
My bets on a bunch of National Security coloring book style briefs he never even opened or read. I bet he treated that stuff like a disconnected C-Suite exec, just throwing ultra detailed financials into a box and forgetting about them.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

BlueBlazer posted:

My bets on a bunch of National Security coloring book style briefs he never even opened or read. I bet he treated that stuff like a disconnected C-Suite exec, just throwing ultra detailed financials into a box and forgetting about them.
Doesn't really fit because Trump handed over a bunch of boxes already, and this appeared to be documents he withheld and maybe lied about having.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TulliusCicero posted:

LOOKS LIKE TREASON IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS!!! :getin:

Holy poo poo he's been selling info

My dumb blind guess is that he showed it to Saudi nationals during that golf tournament for some sort of Quid Pro Quo.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
If the documents were cooked up and planted then it's obvious why he wouldn't want the warrant unsealed. Just all part of the deep-state plan to defame and take down our man.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It's hard to believe even Trump is dumb enough to think he can sell state secrets without getting caught.

They were probably worried about how Trump likes to brag to everyone. You can imagine him down in Mar-a-lago showing every guest all the cool new weapons systems he was briefed on, that he no doubt tells everyone he built personally. All it would take is a Chinese asset to walk in the door and the balance of power in geopolitics changes in a very real way.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 11, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like we won't have to wait two weeks for the climax!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1557818979858653185

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

It's hard to believe even Trump is dumb enough to think he can sell state secrets without getting caught.

They were probably worried about how Trump likes to brag to everyone. You can imagine him down in Mar-a-lago showing every guest all the cool new weapons systems he was briefed on, that he no doubt tells everyone he built personally. All it would take is a Chinese asset to walk in the door and the balance of power in geopolitics changes in a very real way.

Maybe that's the real reason Nancy went to Taiwan; they were briefed on an eyes only document that said new policy is if China invades Taiwan's on its own and he showed people it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like we won't have to wait two weeks for the climax!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1557818979858653185

:lol:

Here I thought we would have to wait for September for hearings. Christmas came early everyone!

Lmao Meadows squealed like a fat hog

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Here I thought we would have to wait for September for hearings. Christmas came early everyone!

Gimme the goods!!

Also, more news? Sure why not! (nb: Elaine Chao is married to Mitch McConnell.)

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1557819461956157444?t=tT5titA03Xpys97-eCPsGg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm excited too, but after considering it for a bit, I think it's more likely than not that Trump will object to this. He can always make up some bullshit about why (audit, etc), if it's released that 15 boxes of top secret poo poo were recovered from his basement, it would be more difficult to spin.