Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

hopeandjoy posted:

There’s one (1) Raen village and it’s full of sparkle Raen who live underwater and have their own separate society. There’s some Raen NPCs in Kugane but there are none in Doma.

Meanwhile the Xaela get a whole zone with multiple tribes with separate cultures.

The Xaela get more than any other subrace. Sure the Raen get less but it's still pretty neat and has a fun theme if you want to lean into the underwater thing. It inspired one of my past fantasias:

Also the Au Ra are a pretty significant part of Thavnair and they're Raen. So they have a zone and a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is mostly me being grumpy about having a Doman Raen and there not being any Doman Raen I will admit.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is this where i admit i have no loving clue what the difference between the two are

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

is this where i admit i have no loving clue what the difference between the two are

xaela = dark scales, raen = light scales

there's some Lore Stuff beyond that but the tl;dr is that the xaela almost exclusively live up in the steppe and the raen live elsewhere in othard and around where thavnair is

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xaela: not-Mongolian
Raen: not-Japanese

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xaela walk like this, and Raen walk like this.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://youtu.be/L104LViQeIw

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1557282645305749504?t=JcywKmuMNahcjmA91XtBtA&s=19

We all know what's going to go down. Yoship is being so coy

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

quote:

Yoshi-P also says The Aery duty has completely changed as the flow of what happens during the Duty changes since Estinien is part of the Duty Support now.

The boss fight against Nidhogg during the Aery also has entirely new mechanics as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They did say they were willing to do minor rewrites to change up scenes where npcs go "well, I want to help, but I can't because <flimsy excuse>" but the query isn't one I expected to get that treatment. I guess they're willing to do fairly major changes to make it work

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It probably helps that now they can actually mess with voice lines a bit more since it’s the current cast. I don’t think they’d actually bother re-recording lines mind you, but they don’t have to work as heavily around existing voice work.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Dragonsong Ultimate has reset time, next expansion is just Heavensward again but with Quantum Haurchefant.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I can't wait to experience tragedy as a boss mechanic

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the four player duty "the vault" will be replaced with dragonsong's reprise (ultimate). please look forward to it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/Haurchefent/status/1557360174146277378

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I can't wait to experience tragedy as a boss mechanic

We already did this in 4.3.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

We already did this in 4.3.

drat, you're right. I knew I should have put an "again" in there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:kimchi:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

This is cute, but it also kind of undermines the message they're trying to impart with the quest by implying that you're showboating.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think it's great and look, i dont have any real disabilities, but MMO network algorithms + my chronic RSI + random lag from 1200 WoLs doing the same thing made that last tower really hard. I ended up parking it on the beach and using everybody that fell off the tower as Sage single target heal practice.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like that the two Moonfire courses are testing different skills (platforming vs. timing/strategic movement). I am dogshit at 3D platforming and find it unfun and frustrating, but running the bomb course was a good time!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tower was harder this year because hrothgar exist now and make it impossible to see yourself if they're on the same peg as you

roes do the same thing but nobody plays roes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

t:mad:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can we please allow other classes to level up or get something in NG+ with all these new changes?

I can't be the only one who wants to replay the story because they forget a bunch, but sees 50+ hours of no number go up and returns to vampire survivors. Or if that is bad, allow alts to trade between each other or something worthwhile.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

tower was harder this year because hrothgar exist now and make it impossible to see yourself if they're on the same peg as you

i gave the tower a shot for a good 2-ish hours and concluded i probably don't have the patience to get to the top

i'd be more willing to hammer my head against it if my computer didn't eat poo poo into 30-ish FPS with everyone there, but the fact that even mild overpressing of directional inputs makes your character go careening off into the sunset makes it feel impossible even when trying to use normalized setups

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got it done in the wee hours of the morning when there was basically nobody else there. The platforming itself isn't particularly hard, it really is just fighting the lag.

(That or I just play too much Leap of Faith.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I only got it so quickly this time because I learned a lot about controlling my jumps last time the tower was around, and never really forgot it. There's a surprising amount of subtletly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

Can we please allow other classes to level up or get something in NG+ with all these new changes?

I can't be the only one who wants to replay the story because they forget a bunch, but sees 50+ hours of no number go up and returns to vampire survivors. Or if that is bad, allow alts to trade between each other or something worthwhile.

I'm with you. Even if they don't want to put XP and Gil in there because of some nebulous fear that people will abuse it for farming, do something like cool glamours or another kind of horizontal reward structure. I need something to jiggle the part of my brain that goes, "But there's so many more useful things you could do with your time instead of playing 12 hours of gameplay to replay a specific solo duty."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got the basic part first try, the rest of the tower's a headache. That first corner alone I keep bonking my elbow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If I did have a tip, it's to use Legacy controls, and orient yourself by keeping RMB held, then you only need to think about pressing forward and/or jump at any given time. (This is also my tip for Leap of Faith.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I only got it so quickly this time because I learned a lot about controlling my jumps last time the tower was around, and never really forgot it. There's a surprising amount of subtletly.

You get a lot of it down from doing LoF a lot, but, as I've also discovered from doing LoF a lot, going for certain jumps (especially medium velocity jumps) can just straight up fail if you have too much input lag from your FPS dropping. It's also really hard to get the precise amount of reverse momentum to accurately land, although you can rely on hitting the tower's hitbox to slow down your velocity if you've got enough space to do a diagonal. It's probably why my stopping point is the tiny square block jump just before the fourth tier platform.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A few tips I have for controller (some may be applicable for m+kb but idk which):

Think carefully about your camera angle. If a jump is difficult because you need to hit a specific direction, put the camera behind you. If it's hard because you need to hit a specific distance, put it in a profile view. If you need to do both, put it above your character

You can walk a decent ways off of each peg before falling off, in what I like to think of as 'coyote space', after the idea of 'coyote time' in normal platformers. It's often necessary to jump from a peg's coyote space, and occasionally required to land on a peg's coyote space, especially if you're going around a corner.

You'll want to master the art of tapping a direction and jump at the same time. This isn't the absolutely minimum distance possible, but it is a pretty small jump, and, importantly, goes a consistent distance once you're good at it. A number of jumps are spaced so that you can use these small jumps and get them every time. Pretty much every jump in the final section can be done with a small jump, though you sometimes need to start it from the coyote space of the peg you're on for extra distance.

Several jumps require the opposite, getting absolute maximum distance. The trick here is to watch your character's feet, and time your jump as they leave the visible peg.

Many of the times when you lose height, you can just walk off without jumping and be fine. The first upright peg on the second checkpoint can be a walk-off if you go at a really precise angle--or less precisely if you sprint. The third upright peg is also a walk-off, this time without the precision. This can save a lot of risk of you overshooting and losing everything.

There's two shortcuts in the second after the third checkpoint but before the tiny pegs begin. One is a few jumps in, and you just jump straight across onto a pole on the other side of the platform. It's just barely makeable normally, and easy with peleton or sprint. This skips the jump which is most likely to make you lose everything. The other shortcut is close to the end of that section. You can jump backwards onto the lower part of the tiny-peg section a few jumps before the intended entry into that area. Doing that skips looping around the tower, and several tricky jumps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vermain posted:

You get a lot of it down from doing LoF a lot, but, as I've also discovered from doing LoF a lot, going for certain jumps (especially medium velocity jumps) can just straight up fail if you have too much input lag from your FPS dropping. It's also really hard to get the precise amount of reverse momentum to accurately land, although you can rely on hitting the tower's hitbox to slow down your velocity if you've got enough space to do a diagonal. It's probably why my stopping point is the tiny square block jump just before the fourth tier platform.

fortunately, I think there's less than five difficult medium-velocity jumps. Almost everything can be gotten with a tiny jump

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

You can walk a decent ways off of each peg before falling off, in what I like to think of as 'coyote space', after the idea of 'coyote time' in normal platformers.

For Miqo, at least, you can pretty accurately tell your hitbox diameter by targeting yourself; all the space inside the circle is hitbox, and as long as even a bit of it is overlapping a platform's space, you'll stay up. I use it as a rough guide when I'm lining up some of the harder jumps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that would have helped a lot for some of the corner jumps lol

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

turning down the maximum crowd size in settings might help with fps issues

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vermain posted:

For Miqo, at least, you can pretty accurately tell your hitbox diameter by targeting yourself; all the space inside the circle is hitbox, and as long as even a bit of it is overlapping a platform's space, you'll stay up. I use it as a rough guide when I'm lining up some of the harder jumps.

That's applicable for everyone.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

This is not correct. Imagine a small dot at the center of your targeting ring, that's the hitbox. There's an illegal plugin that makes it viewable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

This is not correct. Imagine a small dot at the center of your targeting ring, that's the hitbox. There's an illegal plugin that makes it viewable.

We're talking specifically about the collision hitbox and not the world position used for calculating AoE overlaps.