Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

1997, definitely the most 90s year of the 90s.

Also sounds right, guessing Gordy's Home would probably be lucky to last a season or two even if there hadn't been tragedy on the set.

the irl monkey sitcom only lasted two seasons because it was outrageously expensive, costing seven figures in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancelot_Link,_Secret_Chimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess the way I'm using it is like Bruce isn't the spectacle, the spectacle is Amity going crazy and shark hunters lining up, the kid with the fake fin and he snorkel scaring people, that's the spectacle. If Amity decided to hold an annual Shark Days event, that would be the spectacle and maybe it could increase tourism but where would it leave Mrs. Kintner?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I do think it's a bit spooky the way she looks so enthused about the press arriving.

it's not enthusiasm it's her "safety meeting" face

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mysterious frankie posted:

The only thing about that is if we accept the reward amount Em throws out is accurate then they’d be making 100k, minus costs and repairs, possibly split three ways if they share with Angel. That might not be a lot of money for a functioning horse ranch, and in the larger scheme of things a payday doesn’t reverse the downward trajectory their corner of the industry was heading in even before the events of the film. Absolute best case scenario, given the information we’re get in the movie, is that OJ lets Em manage the exploitation of the catastrophe, she does a good job, and they maybe segue that into some kind of other career.

It’s a weird kind of victory.
I mean if JJ actually was an alien and someone finds remains and can confirm they were Not Of Planet Earth, OJ and Em just proved we're not alone in the universe which is probably worth a few million. Of course they'd also get fried for killing the only known alien but it was in self-defense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Who's going to get that few million though? I mean I hope it's them but we have kind of a history in this country of things not being fair to certain people.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Murdering your girlfriend, her brother, both her parents, and their maid & gardener, burning down their house, then driving off in your buddy's TSA cruiser back to New York is also a weird kind of victory.

Another weird kind of victory is to murder your doppelganger and escape with your family while millions of other "surface" Americans have been replaced by their underground double. Not sure how that will turn out for the Wilson family in the long run.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The only thing about that is if we accept the reward amount Em throws out is accurate then they’d be making 100k, minus costs and repairs, possibly split three ways if they share with Angel. That might not be a lot of money for a functioning horse ranch, and in the larger scheme of things a payday doesn’t reverse the downward trajectory their corner of the industry was heading in even before the events of the film. Absolute best case scenario, given the information we’re get in the movie, is that OJ lets Em manage the exploitation of the catastrophe, she does a good job, and they maybe segue that into some kind of other career.

I don't think Angel is a full partner.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speleothing posted:

Murdering your girlfriend, her brother, both her parents, and their maid & gardener, burning down their house, then driving off in your buddy's TSA cruiser back to New York is also a weird kind of victory.

No this is good actually.

They were bad people who deserved to die

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

CelticPredator posted:

Yes, but you can see how despite being triumphant in that moment, Chris faces an uncertain future dealing with the fallout from septuple homicide with an arson that covers the evidence of illegal brain swapping? Yet we accept the final scene of the movie as being a victory for him.

Same thing when Em and OJ face the media.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I choose to see that moment as a victory and he’s fine. Peele did film the “realistic” ending where he does get arrested but that was too much of a downer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

War and Pieces posted:

the irl monkey sitcom only lasted two seasons because it was outrageously expensive, costing seven figures in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancelot_Link,_Secret_Chimp

I was gonna say that expense would probably be a factor but I wasn't sure. Yeah, that explains a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if Gordy's Home even took forever in production because of the difficulty and expense until it finally got funded and secured some performing animals (and clearly didn't do enough due diligence) to the point where by the time it was being filmed it was already extremely dated in style and themes.

CelticPredator posted:

I choose to see that moment as a victory and he’s fine. Peele did film the “realistic” ending where he does get arrested but that was too much of a downer.

I'm reminded of the ending of Attack the Block, where the surviving protags all get arrested but it's still framed as their triumph.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoyed this one. Again Peele has a lot of ideas, maybe too many to fit into one film, but those are the problems you wanna have. Any issues I'd bring up with this picture would be nitpicks, though. It's a very solid sci-fi thriller. Kaluya and Palmer are both terrific, A+ performances.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed, but it's still a bummer way to have to spend your weekend.

That's pretty much the fate of all horror movie protagonists though, they have to go through the worst possible thing imaginable and their only reward for doing so is "not being dead" and sometimes they don't even get that.

Nope is one of the rare exceptions to this where in addition to not dying the protagonists also get something that can make them a ton of money, and frankly they've loving earned some compensation for their trauma (their home was destroyed, their business was ruined, their father was killed, they almost died multiple times) so you know what good for them.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Speleothing posted:

My exact point about people looking for a downer ending when there isn't one.

I'm not looking for a downer ending. Peele is the one who put the epigraph at the beginning of the film that specifically points out how being a spectacle is a punishment, he wrote in a character who spoke about how finding the 'perfect shot' is a fantasy and can ruin your life (and then died, pointlessly), or the entire character of Ricky/Jupiter. There is an ambivalence running throughout the entire film. I don't think even the most optimistic view of the ending can just be like "oh this is good, good for them."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The character that died "pointlessly" chose their death and was at peace with it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm not looking for a downer ending. Peele is the one who put the epigraph at the beginning of the film that specifically points out how being a spectacle is a punishment, he wrote in a character who spoke about how finding the 'perfect shot' is a fantasy and can ruin your life (and then died, pointlessly), or the entire character of Ricky/Jupiter. There is an ambivalence running throughout the entire film. I don't think even the most optimistic view of the ending can just be like "oh this is good, good for them."

Yeah exactly, even without The silly idea that OJ is dead, anyone who thinks that this is a happy ending missed all of the themes of the movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm gunna go ahead and say we can drop spoilers btw.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wouldn't necessarily call it a pyrrhic victory, but it kind of has that vibe of "we got what we wanted I guess, but did we really win?" It's not exactly a downer ending like it would be if they lost or died, but it seemed to have a sense of being slightly ominous or a kind of anxiety.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Her smile at the end, when waiting for the press, is artificial, but that's because she's about to launch into her spiel, her thing. She's tamed Jean jacket and now she's going to do the thing which, as she tried to tell her brother earlier, is her actual priority. He was facing losing the ranch, she clearly wasn't doing well wherever she was, and now, at the very least, their financial pressures are pretty much gone.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Hey here's something totally inconsequential that's stuck in my head. Is this a false memory, or is their handshake shot from a different angle in the trailer than it is in the final cut? (2m2s below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHlzGkux4M&t=121s

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Peele the writer intended for the ending to be bittersweet, Peele the director must've missed it because there's nothing in the filmmaking language that suggests that it's a bittersweet ending. Everything ends pretty triumphantly.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a pyrrhic victory, but it kind of has that vibe of "we got what we wanted I guess, but did we really win?" It's not exactly a downer ending like it would be if they lost or died, but it seemed to have a sense of being slightly ominous or a kind of anxiety.

Anyone who has created and released personally meaningful art/media to the public will know that this is the exact complex emotion the creator undergoes once the world is invited to interact with it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's an interesting connection!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Came up before that a lot of Jean Jacket's behaviour and mannerisms as well as its physical form are clearly based on aquatic life; jellyfish, squids and octopuses as well as sharks and rays.

So that's why its "final form" sucked so badly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

So that's why its "final form" sucked so badly

See the conversation that it's specifically a threat display, designed to make itself look bigger and threatening in a way that will hopefully startle another animal into fleeing. The point is that it's not actually making itself more dangerous or having strength and power in reserve like an intelligent being might- once OJ realises it's an animal, not a spaceship, all its behaviour falls into place and he has context for how it acts and what it does.

Basically the whole premise of the movie is misunderstanding- the characters think they're in Close Encounters until they realise they're in Jaws.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A darkly amusing thought occurred to me: the Gordy's Home "fanbase" is probably completely obsessed with finding the footage of the attack.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

1stGear posted:

A darkly amusing thought occurred to me: the Gordy's Home "fanbase" is probably completely obsessed with finding the footage of the attack.

Or the Traces of Death people.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

1stGear posted:

Almost definitely, and Jupe mentioned selling access to his little temple to atrocity tourists.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it feels that way because the main characters are, in some way, employing strategies to not directly face their situations (OJ trying to delay the closure of a business he can't 100% run and whose services the industry is increasingly turning away from it; Em from the anxiety caused by her aggressive attempts to break away from the business being continually stymied, or ignored by potential employers; Jupe his trauma; Antlers his increasing alienation from what he considers vital filmmaking; Angel running his bitcoin rig and becoming absorbed in an alien investigation to avoid his reality as an installer for a Fry's, in 2022, in the middle of a desert). By the end of the movie this hasn't really change and there's been no character arc ending in growth. Em took a picture that will make them money and OJ is heroically sitting astride a horse, framed by the sun, like a Western hero in one of the movies they might provide animals for; they've taken self-avoidance to the next level and become part of a fantasy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

To be fair to Angel he's a Fry's installer in the general area of Los Angeles, so I imagine there's business at least. :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

To be fair to Angel he's a Fry's installer in the general area of Los Angeles, so I imagine there's business at least. :v:

Made me laugh because that’s literally my local Fry’s

For the past 5 years it was obvious they were going to eventually go out of business, less and less inventory over the years until they folded last year

So this movie had to be set in 2018 or something right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s set now. They actually got permission to film in it and they basically restocked the store just for filming. But it’s dead now I think

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It’s set now. They actually got permission to film in it and they basically restocked the store just for filming. But it’s dead now I think

I would think sometime in the late 2010s, largely based off only Angel is using an iPhone.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Young Freud posted:

I would think sometime in the late 2010s, largely based off only Angel is using an iPhone.

explains why nobody in the crowd is filming

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

I think the intention was just "it's set contemporaneously" but my understanding is they filmed in the Fry's just before it went under.

War and Pieces posted:

explains why nobody in the crowd is filming

If you mean at Jupe's show they said explicitly no phones, probably would throw them out if they saw one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it was just for this, Kind of a nice story

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Id like to be the latest person to say that digestion scene stayed with me for a while. It kinda feels like something out of a Junji Ito manga. Just real unsettling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Astrochicken posted:

Id like to be the latest person to say that digestion scene stayed with me for a while. It kinda feels like something out of a Junji Ito manga. Just real unsettling.

I do feel like it's one of those images that the whole movie is basically built around. Of all the wonder and terror of alien abduction scenes it's just the most horrifying subversion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Before I saw the film, I expected to get a full on horrifying sequence inside the ship à la Fire in the Sky. This was way worse :gonk:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had a nightmare about Jean Jacket last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As soon as I heard the name Jean Jacket, I was hoping we’d get a reference to the Stand or the Walking Dude himself.