Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
How exactly is America going to "surge ahead"? What is this based on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

which island, Taiwan? It's 100 or so miles away. Kinmen and Matsu are within artillary range. I don't think Penghu is.

edit: I always forget Wuqiu

PLA rocket artillery goes way farther than 100 miles doesn’t it? where’s FF when you need him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

How exactly is America going to "surge ahead"? What is this based on?

I’ve just seen people who know a lot more about that stuff like Ardennes and FF talk about that like it was accepted fact and I figure they know more than me about military tech

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

indigi posted:

I just hope the PRC is really prepared to play the century-long game and remain relatively stoic in the face of US goading. even if their “window” for peak military competitiveness in the US is the late 20s until the US surges ahead again, that’s clearly not going to be a sustainable situation for America. better to just wait til the 2060s when the western pacific block is less hot

the assumption that western wunderwaffe will bridge the gap there is completely delusional. the United States could have a laser satellite that could give you a circumcision from near-orbit and it wouldn't matter because of bad weather. cutting edge technology doesn't matter if you can't use it, and there's no conceivable situation where China will lose material superiority in the strait barring the decades anticipated collapse finally happening.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

PLA rocket artillery goes way farther than 100 miles doesn’t it? where’s FF when you need him

it is a good question. I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHL-03

which says they have a variant which reaches 99 miles, so could hit the coastal defenses of Taiwan assuming it works well at its max capability.

they also have 20+ of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHL-16

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

indigi posted:

PLA MLRS range from 120 to 380km depending on configuration.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Aug 10, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the central mountains are pretty tall and shadow the east coast where a lot of air fields and military installations are. Would that shield them from rockets? the east coast is also like double the distance as the west coast.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the only way to win is not to play

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

indigi posted:

I just hope the PRC is really prepared to play the century-long game and remain relatively stoic in the face of US goading. even if their “window” for peak military competitiveness in the US is the late 20s until the US surges ahead again, that’s clearly not going to be a sustainable situation for America. better to just wait til the 2060s when the western pacific block is less hot

i think the best the world can hope for is america's own internal contradictions does it in

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Antonymous posted:

the central mountains are pretty tall and shadow the east coast where a lot of air fields and military installations are. Would that shield them from rockets? the east coast is also like double the distance as the west coast.

I'm pretty sure the base I accidentally wandered on to would get hit just fine by any rockets in range, even up on the hills on the east coast.

In my defense the warning signs were all in Chinese and I don't know the characters for "coastal defense battery"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the idea of america suddenly getting their poo poo together and stopping the rapid decay of every institution through massive corruption at every level of government and culture should make you laugh. it is a complete joke. we peaked in the 90s and will never get back to that end of history high

at this point china can just wait probably 20, 30 years at most and the west will devour itself. no need for them to do anything externally

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The idea that America will lose its place in the sun in the 21st century hasn't actually penetrated into popular conciousness in any way. When it does, the results will probably be pretty bad! They throw out these assertions as a matter of course. Because we passed the end of history, and the american political economy is better than the chinese political economy; which was proven by the collapse of the soviet union and the subsequent introduction of markets to China. Any trends away from our natural dominance are either lies or temporary deviations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See the US is not going to let you wait 30 years. I think the current US elites' plan is to force TSMC to move to US ASAF, and then they will provoke Beijing (by making DPP hold an independent referendum or whatever)

The current DPP government is such a puppet of the US, they actually have been helping US force to TSMC move.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

See the US is not going to let you wait 30 years. I think the current US elites' plan is to force TSMC to move to US ASAF, and then they will provoke Beijing (by making DPP hold an independent referendum or whatever)

The current DPP government is such a puppet of the US, they actually have been helping US force to TSMC move.

how will the everyday American PC gamer be impacted by this move?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

If war ever broke out, the RAND corporation believes the dread saurians will quickly overcome NATO forces in the Fulda Gap.

More and more people are saying this. Better invest in the NATO CoC DLCs for anti large units.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It seems like America is getting worse, not better, at developing weapons and I've seen no indication that is changing. The workhorse of the military is still old hardware and the big 'pivot to China' is not changing how insanely broken the US MIC is. So, the longer a potential US adversary waits the older and more broken the reliable hardware gets and is replaced by useless patched over grift.

OTOH, with the US tied up supporting Ukraine and all the economic chaos the US/Europe is experiencing with their Russia sanctions this might seem a tempting time to prod the US. The scary part is that the US has no real way to threaten China militarily (any of the navy close enough to support Taiwan is getting insta sunk) beyond nuclear. Since China has a different nuclear deterrence strategy compared to Russia I'd be afraid the foreign policy blob might convince itself it can win a nuclear war.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its not just the development of new toys, the US military is having a hell of time maintaining the equipment it has

The hope is that as processes mature maintenence for the newer equipment they have will get cheaper but its not happening

Ships and subs can be in drydock for insane amount of time. Lockheed is more busy building new f35s than providing upgrades or even parts for the ones that already delivered. The military is having an unprecedented hiring shortage and even then more of the work that soldiers would do is falling to contractors. On contracts that are paying more money for less manpower than before

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not just the development of new toys, the US military is having a hell of time maintaining the equipment it has

The hope is that as processes mature maintenence for the newer equipment they have will get cheaper but its not happening

Ships and subs can be in drydock for insane amount of time. Lockheed is more busy building new f35s than providing upgrades or even parts for the ones that already delivered. The military is having an unprecedented hiring shortage and even then more of the work that soldiers would do is falling to contractors. On contracts that are paying more money for less manpower than before

us military went from being a direct tool of capital to being another parasite of it between korea and vietnam

you hate to see it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

that would be crazy for Taiwan to do. TSMC and that infrastructure is by far the primary reason US capital is interested in them, if they capture everything they need who’s going to pay all these think tanks and working groups to beat the war drum? why would they?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Itmechr3/status/1417650987972628481

If you look at per capita cabon emissions the US is easily in the top 10, and China is very low on that list.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you look at per capita cabon emissions the US is easily in the top 10, and China is very low on that list.

surprisingly US is 11th, and Canada is 6th somehow

China 28th (world bank rankings through 2019 carbon data)

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

idk anything about dsa drama. as for the humor value, it's all subjective but if you read cspam and the same twitter poo poo we all do then i don't see how chapo is any different taste-wise. it's all of a piece for me.

chapo had good humor in the early trump days but I get the sense that they have been aping cumtown too hard. plus like 70% of their poo poo doesn't land or has become about increasingly niche topics in politics

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This "look at China's emissions!" poo poo always freaks me the hell out cause they always stop short of telling us how many Chinese people they think should be killed but I know someone somewhere has that math sorted out.

Edit: just Googled :stare:

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Aug 11, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DiscountDildos posted:

This "look at China's emissions!" poo poo always freaks me the hell out cause they always stop short of telling us how many Chinese people they think should be killed but I know someone somewhere has that math sorted out.

they’d argue nobody has to be killed but no further QOL improvements can be made until enough fossil fuels are phased out to offset any development

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DiscountDildos posted:

I remember someone citing this very same table to claim that China was #1

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/defending-democracy-parameters-of-western-resolve-may-soon-be-tested-20220809-p5b8ed.html

quote:

First, and most important, governments must inform their citizens about the virtue of protecting democracy, wherever it occurs and whatever form it takes. This is not a simple ask. Several surveys in recent years (including in Australia) have noted increasing dissatisfaction with “democracy”. This is a major challenge. Increasing interest rates and costs of living in many nations, including our own, also means that our citizens will have little tolerance for discretionary spending on what they might see as “yet another” foreign war. The reality is that all democracies matter.

Possibly one of the worst sentences created by man

quote:

In the novels featuring detective Harry Bosch, the main character has a saying that ‘everyone matters, or no one matters’. Democracies are the same. If one is not worth defending, why are any of them? This is an argument most reasonable people are likely to understand. But it will take more effort from governments (including our own) to build a deeper understanding of the issue.

I guess the western line is now that there is literally nothing a 'democracy' can do to not oblige us to start a war over It?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/defending-democracy-parameters-of-western-resolve-may-soon-be-tested-20220809-p5b8ed.html

Possibly one of the worst sentences created by man

I guess the western line is now that there is literally nothing a 'democracy' can do to not oblige us to start a war over It?

If apples aren't good at making orange juice, why are any fruit

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Nobody will ever figure why their votes don't work for them if voting was so good

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PvLZJ5hNU

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Aug 11, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

indigi posted:

that would be crazy for Taiwan to do. TSMC and that infrastructure is by far the primary reason US capital is interested in them, if they capture everything they need who’s going to pay all these think tanks and working groups to beat the war drum? why would they?

Lets sell off the only thing that is keeping this island afloat, very good idea

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DiscountDildos posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember someone citing this very same table to claim that China was #1

yes it made me lmao

everyone then proceeds to call him a moron

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Oh nooo I didn't scroll right. Whoops. All of my other points are invalidated. I bazinga'd myself. You guys are the smartest and Xi Jinping's status as ruler for life is truly the greatest way forward

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

which island, Taiwan? It's 100 or so miles away. Kinmen and Matsu are within artillary range. I don't think Penghu is.

edit: I always forget Wuqiu

i was surprised to learn that taiwan is closer to china than tasmania is to the australian mainland. it really is extremely close.

also, tasmania is like 1% the size of the mainland and taiwan is 0.3% the size of china

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/InterestingsAsF/status/1556939394170654720?s=20&t=u4GEohZ0Cbi3lT-CiHlVew

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

not shown; an enormous pile of garbage that looks kinda like money.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure anyone really knows what happens in the US if China takes out an aircraft carrier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm not sure anyone really knows what happens in the US if China takes out an aircraft carrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlB2YkA8dHc

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrVDnUgHCM

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

They seem like a standard anti-imperialist anti-Israel account?

going to need someone to link this account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

indigi posted:

surprisingly US is 11th, and Canada is 6th somehow

China 28th (world bank rankings through 2019 carbon data)

This is because Canada hosts a ton of mining companies because of favourable legal conditions. Realistically could just consider Canada and US emissions together