Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

system shock 2 is a bad game made for bad people

Bad in the 90s way, meaning "excellent and good", of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, it is difficult to say what the best game after botw is. alpha centauri, morrowind, and system shock 2 are some great candidates for sure.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doom 2 is a definite contender but Doom had better level design IMHO and is also a contender.

Doom 2 definitely takes prize for best enemy design however. The Revenant is more or less unchanged across every single game it's been in. Mancubus and Cacodemon are runners up, because of Doom 3.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Literally A Person posted:

:sonia:

E: sorry, thinking of Morrigan

Wait actually me too! :hotpickle:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Spelunky HD is the best AND most influential game.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Binding Of Isaac is a close 2nd.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xcom 2

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oh poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A mediocre game made for mediocre people

It's got some good hooks early on but man that mid- and late-game turns into such a slog

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

QuarkJets posted:

A mediocre game made for mediocre people

It's got some good hooks early on but man that mid- and late-game turns into such a slog

I will git you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well first you're going to have to wait while I walk behind this pillar, and now I'm going to <rolls dice> decapitate your best soldier. Tough break :xcom:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

QuarkJets posted:

Well first you're going to have to wait while I walk behind this pillar, and now I'm going to <rolls dice> decapitate your best soldier. Tough break :xcom:

I am an ADOM devotee. Perma-death holds no fear for me, Quarky.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

I only play Minecraft on hardcore mode!!!1!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just lol that of all the studios loving Ubisoft wound up making the best version of XCOM and they put Mario and Luigi in it

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, it is difficult to say what the best game after botw is. alpha centauri, morrowind, and system shock 2 are some great candidates for sure.

All of these take a backseat to the true greatest ever, Omikron: the Nomad Soul for Sega Dreamcast

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Magic Carpet - best 3d flying game with terrain deformation
Crusader: No Remorse - best isometric shooter with a faux Boba Fett as protagonist
Total Annihilation - best RTS with unlimited resources
Starsiege Tribes: best multiplayer FPS

:colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
its funny how nobody ever says Half-Life or Warcraft 2, but those are probably actually the :airquote: Best :airquote: games w/r/t player enjoyment, innovation, immediate and lasting cultural impact, :words:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Half Life deathmatch was p fun. :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Team Fortress 2 is the best MOBA

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vampire Panties posted:

its funny how nobody ever says Half-Life or Warcraft 2, but those are probably actually the :airquote: Best :airquote: games w/r/t player enjoyment, innovation, immediate and lasting cultural impact, :words:

I'd say Warcraft 1 and Starcraft were more innovative and influential for RTS's. Warcraft 2 was a great sequel though which did add a lot and was fun as hell at the time to play. Also Going to say I much prefer the really nice art in Warcraft 2 to all the 3d warcraft games which I find the aesthetics of just pretty drat ugly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vampire Panties posted:

I mean, I love wc2 but it kind of aged like dogshit because of the huge leaps in quality of life stuff better computers enabled. That said it's still playable and enjoyable at least because it oozes charm. and these massively tinted rose colored glasses, but damnit I got some good memories from that game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

jokes posted:

Team Fortress 2

The Orange Box is/was The Best Videogame Purchase if not the best single game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

dang there's been a lot of really good games discussed in the last two pages

shame about the other 1981

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Team Fortress 2 is the best MOBA

I recognize tf2 as a moba and yet its design is just so that it minimizes same-team hate. I don't play it cuz i suck but it's definitely a good kind of game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fur20 posted:

I recognize tf2 as a moba and yet its design is just so that it minimizes same-team hate.

idk about that, every time i log on to a good server with 20 people on it, my team has four snipers and three spies and no one even trying to do the goddamn objective and I get loving apoplectic

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DontMockMySmock posted:

idk about that, every time i log on to a good server with 20 people on it, my team has four snipers and three spies and no one even trying to do the goddamn objective and I get loving apoplectic

That's because you're playing the online mode.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

tony hawks pro skater 2 is the best game ever made

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slotducks posted:

Quite literally bought this game a week ago so my 4 year old could have something to play on the PS2.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

but tonk hawks underground is better

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
actually I just did start playing XCOM 2 again and man oh man sometimes it's striking how hard it is!!! I'm doing my best, but I appreciate XCOM 2 as a game that suggests that maybe your best just isn't good enough.

I mod it but just QOL stuff, nothing like EVERYONE GETS PLASMA RIFLES AT THE START etc

meme poker may I have the anime XCOM 2 gif please or actually any other XCOM gif of your choosing

edit: XCOM 2

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Literally A Person posted:

Quite literally bought this game a week ago so my 4 year old could have something to play on the PS2.

If my 4 year old can't or won't play bushido blade with me by the time he's 7 then he's on his own re paying for college.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

XCOM 2 was a lot of fun and I think it's a great game but I definitely reached a point where I was just straight up done with it forever. The Chosen and Bradford just WOULD NOT SHUT UP and eventually the "make sure you never ever ever reveal a tile unless it's under optimal conditions" style gameplay just overwhelms everything else.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodixor posted:

actually I just did start playing XCOM 2 again and man oh man sometimes it's striking how hard it is!!! I'm doing my best, but I appreciate XCOM 2 as a game that suggests that maybe your best just isn't good enough.

I mod it but just QOL stuff, nothing like EVERYONE GETS PLASMA RIFLES AT THE START etc

meme poker may I have the anime XCOM 2 gif please or actually any other XCOM gif of your choosing

The game acts like its busting your balls constantly, but it's actually cheating outrageously behind the scenes in the player's favor. It's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors to keep the tension high, so if you're playing at an appropriate difficulty setting you're actually allowed to goof up and get your guys killed and fail missions, repeatedly.
Keep plugging away, you'll make it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Here is one of my squads, OP.

And some anime katana action!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kntfkr posted:

If my 4 year old can't or won't play bushido blade with me by the time he's 7 then he's on his own re paying for college.

Yeah same, if my kid doesn’t appreciate the correct games he can get the gently caress out

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

All the kids play Roblox today and it's 90% terrible and bad. Bloxburg is teaching my kid how to use a rudimentary AutoCAD type of 3D modeler to do house building, and she's really good at it.

Also she roleplays as a Warrior Cat, so it's kind of a wash.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Meme Poker Party posted:

Here is one of my squads, OP.

And some anime katana action!

finally, a reason to play xcom 2

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My 8 year old niece got excited into buying RPGMaker on Switch by a youtuber, took one look at it, went "gently caress that" and went back to Mario Oddyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

QuarkJets posted:

system shock 2 is a bad game made for bad people

Bad in the 90s way, meaning "excellent and good", of course

Yup, System Shock 2 was in no way influential at all. Nope.