Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1557321390482759681?t=uwXq12Y7dVmJa7rUOAnTUw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:toot:

I think I qualify for an adult booster due to upcoming travel

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cailleask posted:

Exclusive meaning if they had milk, it was breast milk, and they nursed. Neither was particularly interested in bottles. They ate regular food of course at the usual milestones and ages.

Ah, right-o. I almost got worried, because a kid over 6 months or so would start developing pretty severe deficiencies if they didn't have solids. Like, the iron deficiency for instance would be really problematic.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm pretty sure the medical unity uses exclusively breastfed per this definition:

"Exclusive breastfeeding means feeding your baby only breast milk, not any other foods or liquids (including infant formula or water), except for medications or vitamin and mineral supplements."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mind_Taker posted:

90 days?? I assume this is COVID?

Yep. We had it on May 4th. Daycare required negative tests for all people in the household. Wife and I cleared a few weeks after we all had it. Daughter, who had barely a sniffle, kept testing positive. We had already paid for May and paid for June hoping she'd clear. Luckily we did not pay for July.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

drat that’s the longest I’ve heard anyone testing positive for COVID. Sorry to hear that, sounds like a nightmare.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My daughter pooped in the potty for the first time today!

She made us close the bathroom door and everything, yelling GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY.

She's very proud of it. She ran around in circles yelling I poo poo, I poo poo, I poo poo

Looked like a whopper candy drop :shobon:

External Organs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 11, 2022

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
We also had a first-time bathroom poop today. Unfortunately it was the 7-month-old. In the bathtub.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My daughter has been pooping on the potty for a few weeks now. She waves and says "bye poo-poo" to her poop when it gets flushed down the toilet.

My son is still not comfortable on the potty either at home or in daycare, but we're hoping he'll get there as he sees his sister and his friends in class keep using the potty.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

drat that’s the longest I’ve heard anyone testing positive for COVID. Sorry to hear that, sounds like a nightmare.

Our pediatrician apparently won't retest because this is possible. "She's completed the mandated quarantine period" which is apparently also good enough for our daycare? My wife's work wanted the baby to have a negative test, wait a week, then have my wife produce a negative test. To go to an office with no one on her team. Great move guys.

Anyway, after an over night at the children's hospital and about four more days, she's back to normal and making up time on walking and talking oh god.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

Our pediatrician apparently won't retest because this is possible. "She's completed the mandated quarantine period" which is apparently also good enough for our daycare? My wife's work wanted the baby to have a negative test, wait a week, then have my wife produce a negative test. To go to an office with no one on her team. Great move guys.

Anyway, after an over night at the children's hospital and about four more days, she's back to normal and making up time on walking and talking oh god.

The CDC says that testing positive is possible for 90+ days. I had the worst of it out of all of us and it's frustrating how lovely this county (US) makes it when it comes to parenting. We're lucky in that I have a state job so leave is liberal and the in-laws are right down the street and retired.

External Organs posted:

My daughter pooped in the potty for the first time today!

She made us close the bathroom door and everything, yelling GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY.

She's very proud of it. She ran around in circles yelling I poo poo, I poo poo, I poo poo

Looked like a whopper candy drop :shobon:

We need to know the secrets, this kid has been peeing no problem for months now, advantage of her being home, but refuses to poop on it. She did once, she got her present and won't go back and do it again.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh no my toddler has decided only pasta and pizza are acceptable foods moving forward

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

in_cahoots posted:

We also had a first-time bathroom poop today. Unfortunately it was the 7-month-old. In the bathtub.

A few months ago we had a week of “code browns” in the bathtub. My 17 month son shits on a regular schedule, so when that schedule shifted to bath-time it was persistent. We put him in swim diapers until it passed.

Buddy, you gotta stop making GBS threads in the tub.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dobbs_Head posted:

A few months ago we had a week of “code browns” in the bathtub. My 17 month son shits on a regular schedule, so when that schedule shifted to bath-time it was persistent. We put him in swim diapers until it passed.

Buddy, you gotta stop making GBS threads in the tub.

Regular bowel movements are your friends! It's not too early to start putting him on the potty at 17 months, and it sounds like you have an excellent opportunity here, before going in the bath. It's how we got our start on potty training. If he finds it boring/annoying, read a picture book.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Regular bowel movements are your friends! It's not too early to start putting him on the potty at 17 months, and it sounds like you have an excellent opportunity here, before going in the bath. It's how we got our start on potty training. If he finds it boring/annoying, read a picture book.

His schedule has since shifted. He now poops twice a day: as he is waking from sleep and as he wakes from his nap. Of course, we’re not going to wake him from his nap to put him on the potty. But when we decide to start the potty journey, a post-wakeup potty time is definitely in the cards.

He sees his sister use the potty and has some interest doing it himself. But as a family we’ve had a couple months of sickness/covid so transitioning to potty training is low on the priority list.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The itsy bitsy spider went up the water POOP
It crawls on your face and then goes POOP

See the sea and the sky it calls POOP
let me POOP
how far I’ll POOP

we don’t talk about POOP POOP POOP POOP

I’ve got the next Lin Manuel Miranda here.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Koivunen posted:

let me POOP
how far I’ll POOP

I mean this was me and my friends in middle school except with the word "monkey" so only good things can come of this.

Toddler barfed 3x last night, no fever though and no diarrhea. I have vague memories of cleaning up her crib before going back to bed. My wife is taking her in this afternoon to see if there's anything going on.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Koivunen posted:

let me POOP
how far I’ll POOP

My kid keeps talking about BUTT JUICE and I have to try not to laugh. Preschool with older kids is a trip.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
One day my daughter came home from kindergarten singing “<local soccer team> are dangling their balls” - it rhymed and was pretty cute :D

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh boy. It is finally dawning on my son that we are not kidding about getting his weight under control. Autism + Change is usually never a good combo, and he is melting down pretty good right now. But he's pretty overweight and well, it needs to be handled while he's still young, before it bites him in the rear end ten or so years down the road.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I wouldn’t give any of them back but drat if parenting isn’t so much easier when you only have 2/3 of the kids. Like, it doesn’t even matter which one you take away, it’s just automatically easier by an order of magnitude.

If you are reading this, have two, and want a third….think long and hard about it. We didn’t have a choice with a twofer on the second try but yeah…

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 13, 2022

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah we have our hands full with just two of them. One child per parent. Can't even imagine another one running loose while trying to wrangle two of them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

devmd01 posted:

I wouldn’t give any of them back but drat if parenting isn’t so much easier when you only have 2/3 of the kids. Like, it doesn’t even matter which one you take away, it’s just automatically easier by an order of magnitude.

If you are reading this, have two, and want a third….think long and hard about it. We didn’t have a choice with a twofer on the second try but yeah…

My wife and I are having this discussion right now. We both always said “2, maybe 3.” And now we’re seeing the amount of work “maybe” was doing in that sentence. I’m ready to be done and focus on the two we have, she feels sad at being done with babies and wants one more.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

With our youngest at almost 18mo and our elder at 3y, I feel free of the postpartum fog and body bs, able to get enough sleep to feel functional at work and ready to finally go back to school. I’m even able to do a little bit of hobby stuff. We’re planning on waiting about 2 more years (lol daycare $$$).

While I’m mostly on board I know it’s going to be brutally brutal to go back to the baby/young toddler phase after we leave it and it already makes me a bit uneasy to think about.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We've got just one and I'm fully on board with opening the marriage into a triad solely to improve the parent:kid ratio.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

wizzardstaff posted:

We've got just one and I'm fully on board with opening the marriage into a triad solely to improve the parent:kid ratio.

One of my friends is dating a woman who is poly; she got like 3-4 full nights of sleep a week with a newborn because the rest of her 'cule was taking care of the baby.

It's the most persuasive argument for poly I'd ever heard

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It feels like we just got into a solid rhythm with an 18mo and I’m pretty stressed about going back to negative square 1 with another on the way. My wife will be 35 when no.2 is born, so having another might be more of a risk.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We are watching my sister's two kids this weekend (6,3) and it's amazing how needy a three year old is! And he's a totally typical three year old, but our kid is 9 and it is jarring the difference in neediness and independence. How quickly you forgot!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah I am in the thick of the tremendous twos and holy poo poo my second has made it her mission to be so much more tremendous than her older sister at the same age.

I can’t do it again. I’m having enough trouble getting through it now.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh man I’m in the throes if the 2 vs 3 thing. My two are both going to be in elementary school in the fall now, and I desperately miss having a baby in the house. We have space and money, and… maaaaybe time? I don’t want too big of an age gap so I feel like we have to do it very soon if we’re going to do it ever.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I have two 2.5 year olds and lol at the thought of a third right now. I love them but they are both pains in the rear end right now.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Xand_Man posted:

One of my friends is dating a woman who is poly; she got like 3-4 full nights of sleep a week with a newborn because the rest of her 'cule was taking care of the baby.

It's the most persuasive argument for poly I'd ever heard

The nuclear family was a mistake, change my mind.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

I am so, so glad that when my son was younger, we lived with my partner's parents. It's easy now that he's grown, but having them there in the same household when he was young was Da Best.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

As someone married to someone from a large family that’s not nuclear: the grass is always greener. Sure, there are more hands to help out. On the flip side there is so much more drama. Imagine the stereotypical mother-in-law, and now imagine that your 4 sisters-in-law also have opinions about how you raise your child. And due to tradition you’re the lowest person on the totem pole, so it’s difficult if not impossible to speak up without hurting family relations.

In my family’s culture at least the husband is expected to contribute exactly 0% to raising the child; it all falls to the women in the mother’s family. Normally women go to their mother’s house to give birth, and they may join their husbands at 3-6 months postpartum. My husband is great, but he’s definitely viewed as an oddball because he changes diapers and gives bottles to the baby.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but it pains me to see the glamorization of either ‘traditional’ (Western) family structures or current non-Western family structures. They have their pros and cons, and it’s not as simple as ‘grandma lives nearby so she can help out’. I doubt women living in these arrangements were/are significantly happier than women today, and it’s worth examining the reasons why that’s the case.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
I was happy with 1 but my wife has always wanted 2 and holy poo poo it's so much more work. There was always the undertone of maybe more, until we had multiple and then I immediately signed up for a vasectomy. gently caress that.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dirty Needles posted:

we had multiple and then I immediately signed up for a vasectomy. gently caress that.

Still in the hospital after delivery of the twins, I was sent to drop off some paperwork at her OB’s office in the professional wing. Happened to walk past the urology clinic on the way so I stopped in and grabbed a card with their number.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My 2.5 year old wakes up every morning babbling about caca. I go into his room and he says “mama, caca!” I say “ok, you have some caca?” He says no. I say “you need to sit on the potty?” He says no and then keeps repeating mama caca. His diaper is clean. He doesn’t have to poop until hours later.

WHY.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We're entering the middle-twos. big feelings about little things are starting to pop up, as well as "I know I shouldn't do this, but I'm gonna while smiling at you" stuff.

I have neither the desire nor the ability to handle this 2x, much less the x^2 that I understand multiples to be.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Am about to enter the situation in the fall where I have to wake up at 4, take my on the spectrum 4 year old with me, go back home and hope my6 year old is ready for school and then drop everyone off at their different schools.

I’m scared y’all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We want a second one as a sibling to our 20 month old but dreading all the pregnancy/delivery poo poo.

My wife has T1 diabetes and is therefore High Risk. She managed it mostly very well for the first one, with a normal A1C and 0 diabetic complications for baby. She had a couple very scary hypos but I was able to bring her blood sugar up. That was while we were both quarantined at home for the full 9 months, so I worry about her now that we would be going back to work.

In addition to that, with the loss of Roe v Wade, our state has additional restrictions on abortion and I worry about having a medical choice made for us by dipshit politicians.

In addition to that, T1D requires you to be induced at 38/39 weeks due to placental failure, so labor for 2nd one will likely suck rear end again.

In addition to that, she had an extremely rare and bizarre complication post-partum where all her nerves became inflamed and she had to get carpal and cubital tunnel surgeries and now has permanent nerve damage and weakness.

But our current kid is insanely cute and sweet and we both want another one. We’re also considering adoption/surrogacy to just skip the pregnancy and let someone better equipped handle it. Surrogacy feels bad to me though, because despite its astronomical price tag I feel like it’s still taking advantage of another woman’s body? I don’t mean to start a debate/derail, I haven’t really figured it out.