Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I added another light to the setup and replaced my MX Ergo with an Elecom Huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Origin posted:

What's that metal thing above your keyboard?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

What's that metal thing above your keyboard?

It’s a glass marker board. I use it instead of post its and run the wires from the keyboard, keypad, and trackpad under it into that tube that runs behind the desk.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Origin posted:

It’s a glass marker board. I use it instead of post its and run the wires from the keyboard, keypad, and trackpad under it into that tube that runs behind the desk.

That's pretty nifty, thanks!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Origin posted:

How do you like the Huge? I have an M570 right now, and was thinking about testing the waters of other trackballs.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

ptier posted:

How do you like the Huge? I have an M570 right now, and was thinking about testing the waters of other trackballs.

So far I like it. However, the stock ruby bearings in the cup can make the ball feel "stiff" during fine motion. Most people, including myself, take it apart and replace them with 2.5mm ceramic bearings. The process takes about 10-15 minutes.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Finally, after moving, finally got setup the way I like for my home office!

On the opposite side of the room it is my gaming desk. I find that separating the two really helps with having a different headspace after three years of WFH

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 11, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

Finally, after moving, finally got setup the way I like for my home office!

On the opposite side of the room it is my gaming desk. I find that separating the two really helps with having a different headspace after three years of WFH

I don't get it, how do you play games during meetings if it's on the other side of the room?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I don't get it, how do you play games during meetings if it's on the other side of the room?

Steam Link ;)

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Welp I went ahead and traded my old massive Ikea Galant for a 36x24 Jarvis sit stand.

I was going to go the ebay route but I couldn't find info on if the electronics were rated or certified or anything and I saw the Jarvis has a 5/15 year warranty for a couple hundred more. Most important going this route would mean I wouldn't have to contact a IRL human being for an actual desktop that was the right size.

It gets here Saturday and I clean out and take down my old desk and find out that even though I got 6 boxes from Jarvis, the frame box is 5 days behind so I put all my old poo poo back up because I can't go 3 hours without a PC.....

I wanted to call and scream at these people for wasting half a Sunday on something so stupid.

If anyone near Miami wants a massive Ikea Galant with T-Legs let me know before I put it on OfferUp! Available Wednesday or Thursday this coming week!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

maniacripper posted:

Welp I went ahead and traded my old massive Ikea Galant for a 36x24 Jarvis sit stand.

I was going to go the ebay route but I couldn't find info on if the electronics were rated or certified or anything and I saw the Jarvis has a 5/15 year warranty for a couple hundred more. Most important going this route would mean I wouldn't have to contact a IRL human being for an actual desktop that was the right size.

It gets here Saturday and I clean out and take down my old desk and find out that even though I got 6 boxes from Jarvis, the frame box is 5 days behind so I put all my old poo poo back up because I can't go 3 hours without a PC.....

I wanted to call and scream at these people for wasting half a Sunday on something so stupid.

If anyone near Miami wants a massive Ikea Galant with T-Legs let me know before I put it on OfferUp! Available Wednesday or Thursday this coming week!

I also just sold off my OG galant (full L with all the attachments) and shifted to an Alex/Karlby setup with some extra shelving that I might post whenever I get it into an acceptable state.

It was quite a pain to find a buyer simply due to the size and I had to come down on my price a lot. Was really hoping the rarity of the desk would make it more appealing.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

anakha posted:

I was initially resigned to spending on an expensive KVM switch, but a friend alerted me to this awesome little utility that uses your peripherals' USB connection to trigger a switch in the monitors' active ports.

One $20 USB switch later, and I was in business.

Okay, I've finally circled back around and am ready to do this. Do you mind sharing the actual switch you bought? From the little bit of reading I did this kind of setup can be finicky, so I'd like to jump straight to a known good option that just works.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

maniacripper posted:

If I had a better vehicle for something the size of that desktop I'd be sorely tempted, though I'm about 3.5hrs away. I've got a Galant and love it, my wife has one I found set by a dumpster years ago and loves it, and it'd be great to have a third to use as a crafting table (what I had the second Galant for before the relationship). They're nice sturdy things. Alas.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

desktop--- strength... question:

Components:
Ikea "Fredde" desk

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 monitor

Ergotron HX Monitor Arm with HD Pivot for 1000R Curved Monitors Up to 49 Inches

So I have this Ikea desk (had it now for... maybe 8 years?) and while it served me well in the before times, it's coming up short in my new permanent WFH life. I'm going to get a standing desk in the next year or so - but in the meantime I'm hoping to fix some of the issues I've got with my current setup by replacing the stand on my monitor. The stand that comes with the Samsung is inexcusably trash considering what the loving thing cost - it's not particularly stable or adjustable, and takes up a frustrating amount of space where I'd rather put my work-provided laptops.

So I have an Ergotron coming this week, I was thinking of putting it in my Fredde using the "Grommet" method - but rather than using the corner-position grommets already on the desk, I'll just drill a 10mm hole at the rear center of the desk (that's the minimum size grommet hole that the Ergotron can be installed into).

The question is: this is a loving *heavy* monitor (~32lbs/14.5kg) and the Ergotron weighs another ~13lbs/6kg, which seems to me like a lot to ask of the .75" thick particleboard.
The Ergotron manual offers frustratingly little to help on this - but I was thinking of maybe getting a sheet of something to "shore up" the desktop - spread its weight over a larger area.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned about this or am I overthinking poo poo?

e: As an idea for what I'm thinking, I can get a sheet of 12" square 16-gauge steel, punch a 10mm hole in that and put it between the Ergotron and the desk.
MSPaint:

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 22, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sarcastx posted:

Components:
Ikea "Fredde" desk

So I have this Ikea desk (had it now for... maybe 8 years?) and while it served me well in the before times, it's coming up short in my new permanent WFH life. I'm going to get a standing desk in the next year or so - but in the meantime I'm hoping to fix some of the issues I've got with my current setup by replacing the stand on my monitor. The stand that comes with the Samsung is inexcusably trash considering what the loving thing cost - it's not particularly stable or adjustable, and takes up a frustrating amount of space where I'd rather put my work-provided laptops.

So I have an Ergotron coming this week, I was thinking of putting it in my Fredde using the "Grommet" method - but rather than using the corner-position grommets already on the desk, I'll just drill a 10mm hole at the rear center of the desk (that's the minimum size grommet hole that the Ergotron can be installed into).

The question is: this is a loving *heavy* monitor (~32lbs/14.5kg) and the Ergotron weighs another ~13lbs/6kg, which seems to me like a lot to ask of the .75" thick particleboard.
The Ergotron manual offers frustratingly little to help on this - but I was thinking of maybe getting a sheet of something to "shore up" the desktop - spread its weight over a larger area.

I'm the cat shelves.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the cat shelves.

I have three cats and not a one of them has taken advantage :(

OTOH they may all be too heavy - they're Maine Coons and the lightest one is 16lb
e: Mr. Khan

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 22, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

sarcastx posted:

Components:
Ikea "Fredde" desk

e: As an idea for what I'm thinking, I can get a sheet of 12" square 16-gauge steel, punch a 10mm hole in that and put it between the Ergotron and the desk.
MSPaint:

I ran into a similar issue with the same monitor. Totally unusable with the stand it came with, and the Ergotron couldn't work with my workspace. I ended up mounting the drat thing on my wall, and even that took two tries. I absolutely love it for both WFH and gaming, but I'm bummed that I committed myself to not having an option for a standing desk.

I think your instinct about Ikea particle board needing reinforcement for all that weight focused on one point is correct. But I don't know enough about this kind of thing to know if that specific reinforcement idea will work. Helpful, I know. But if you think there's a chance it will snap your desk, that's a very expensive monitor to gamble with. Could you go ahead and get your new desk sooner?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

sarcastx posted:

I have a 32" UW on the exact same arm; I even have the grommet mount, though I ended up using the clamp. The foot should be fine to mount to the desk as long as you're not wrenching on the grommet so hard as to crush the particleboard. The foot is around 4"x4" and has rubber contact patches at the corners to protect the desk top. The grommet on the underside is a big oval washer, 3"x2". If you're really worried I think you could reinforce the underside, but you wouldn't need a steel plate; a little offcut square of 3/4" plywood would be plenty.

I think you're more likely to have issues with the desktop sagging if it isn't adequately supported, but you would have those issues with the regular stand too. Ergotron probably doesn't bother to mention anything about this in the manual because they're mostly churning out monitor arms for cubicles, which all have particle board desks and it all works fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think you have anything to worry about given the relative size of that base, and I really would use the whole clamp and not drill through the desk if you don't need to.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sarcastx posted:

I have three cats and not a one of them has taken advantage :(

OTOH they may all be too heavy - they're Maine Coons and the lightest one is 16lb
e: Mr. Khan

More Mr. Khan photos NOW

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Clamp a chunk of 2x2 into some studs behind the desk instead.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think you have anything to worry about given the relative size of that base, and I really would use the whole clamp and not drill through the desk if you don't need to.

The C-clamp won't work on this desk as it has a support/backpiece that screws to the underside of the surface (unless I want to put all the weight on either side, which seems like I'd be applying the highest possible amount of leverage on a small area). I've had the desk for a fair while and it's not in pristine condition so I don't really mind drilling a 10mm hole.

Thanks for the advice y'all; I think I'll wind up testing the stand tomorrow to see how it goes; if it's too sketchy I'll move up the standing desk a few months. Still torn over which specific model (probably Uplift V2-Commercial) but I'll be buying just a frame as I have some spare butcher block kicking around.

Johnny Truant posted:

More Mr. Khan photos NOW

Mr. Khan has wares if you have coin

...and here he is with his partner Loki

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sarcastx posted:

Mr. Khan has wares if you have coin

:swoon:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I don't want to point any fingers but someone in this thread is cheating by posting cat pictures.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
friendship ended with Husky Workbench

now Mr. Khan is my new best friend

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have Ikea desk legs/frame but got a bit of oak worksurface instead of the particle board Ikea top. The oak is very sturdy and would handle that monitor and arm no problem.

It also looks nice.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Okay, I've finally circled back around and am ready to do this. Do you mind sharing the actual switch you bought? From the little bit of reading I did this kind of setup can be finicky, so I'd like to jump straight to a known good option that just works.

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply. Just forgot to check back on this thread.

Literally any USB switcher that can connect all your peripherals to both laptop and PC will suffice. I got a UGREEN USB 3.0 switcher like this one for my keyboard, mouse and webcam, and you can pick whatever equivalent will work for you.

Just lemme know if you need help configuring the utility.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

anakha posted:

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply. Just forgot to check back on this thread.

Literally any USB switcher that can connect all your peripherals to both laptop and PC will suffice. I got a UGREEN USB 3.0 switcher like this one for my keyboard, mouse and webcam, and you can pick whatever equivalent will work for you.

Just lemme know if you need help configuring the utility.

I use that same one and I'm extremely happy with it. Aside from maybe it being made of something nicer (aluminum instead of plastic) it's hard to imagine how it could be improved. I have my keyboard, mouse, webcam, and microphone on it and they all switch in about 1 second. By the time I've pressed the button and put my hand back on the keyboard/mouse it's switched. I have never had a device not switch properly with it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slowly getting to ideal. Thinking about upgrading the M-Audios with some Yuzus in white. And also get a new white arm that can hold the UW.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Has anyone lost their minds and gone with the full 72" husky workbench as a desk yet? I'm tempted because it will physically fit in my space, but I'm worried it will visually be too much

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Has anyone lost their minds and gone with the full 72" husky workbench as a desk yet? I'm tempted because it will physically fit in my space, but I'm worried it will visually be too much

I googled this and it looks like it's only 24" deep - wouldn't you want a deeper desktop if you're willing to put something like that in your space anyways? My ikea desk is 29 3/4" deep and I really value that extra space.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

It’s really not. Most of the Home Depots in my area have at least the 48” and often the 62” on display and they’re really not large at all. Add 24 or 10 inches, respectively, and you really get a sense that it’s not as huge as the numbers might make it sound

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have a 72" butcher block I converted to a standing desk, it's loving awesome. I don't mind it being 25" deep either, although I do use vesa arm mounts for my two monitors so that def saves space

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

I have a 72" butcher block I converted to a standing desk, it's loving awesome. I don't mind it being 25" deep either, although I do use vesa arm mounts for my two monitors so that def saves space

74" by 25 and 5/8" here. x2

Love it and dont need it to be any deeper. I had to install some supports under it because it started bowing right away but other then that this has been a great idea.

Finished managing cables! :buddy:

Still haven't put up any wall art though, not even our large clock lol

Counter top
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vrena-countertop-oak-veneer-30437156/

drawers
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/alex-drawer-unit-black-brown-60473548/

Placed between counters and drawers to prevent movement.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CDQPZ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Supports under the desk to prevent it from bowing.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/StyleWell-6-in-x-8-in-Black-Classic-Arch-Decorative-Shelf-Bracket-27790PKLHD/312264273

monitor stands
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MLVXRR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

cable management
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZ3N5CC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Computers are both a 9600k @ 5ghz with 3080 Ti and 32 gigs of ram.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 31, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
72” sounds like a lot but if you have two displays that are bigger than like 24” apiece and pretty much any external speakers you’ve eaten up a good chunk of the horizontal space on that desktop

A pair of 27” screens plus two fairly chonky boy monitor speakers, like JBL 305s, and you’re already more or less hitting the limits of what you can put on a desk and make look good

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Some years ago I snagged a couple of executive desks. They are 6' x 3'. Back in the CRT days the depth was perfect because of how large those monitors were. Now with how thin modern LCD monitors are it wouldn't work. I cut the back off of mine so it's only 2' deep, and with monitor arms, it's the perfect distance away. I also have a keyboard tray (I added casters to the desks, so the tray is the right height rather than having to reach up to the desk top).

As to width, I have 3 monitors on this thing. Middle is a 32" ultrawide, with a 27" on each side, the left one is vertical. That pretty much takes up the entire width of the desk. I have my tower mounted under the desktop. If I didn't have all 3 monitors on arms I would have maybe 12" deep of desktop space.

The space can and will get used up quicker than you might think.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Personally I like to keep monitors about an arm and a half length from my face. It’s bette for my eyes and it’s more comfy with the big monitors we all have now. So 3’ sounds about right for depth of a desk.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

30x60 varidesk here, 30” feels dope to me for depth, any less would feel cramped. I’m not using VESA mounts yet though.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I like to keep monitors about an arm and a half length from my face. It’s better for my eyes and it’s more comfy with the big monitors we all have now. So 3’ sounds about right for depth of a desk.

Which they are, with the keyboard tray that is. That pushes me back from the edge of the desk a foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Koskun posted:

Which they are, with the keyboard tray that is. That pushes me back from the edge of the desk a foot.

Oh right. I’ve never liked keyboard trays so I end up much closer to the desk.