Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a good trip, I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

One of these days!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Australians love their casual racism and blaming non white immigrants for *problemtheysawonthrnewslastnight* and also love being ignorant on poo poo so casual Trump supporting is almost expected for a subset.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

poo poo. I really wanna visit Mongolia and drink horse milk booze.

PM me before you do. I’ll give you some recommendations and what to avoid (it’s Mongolian ultranationalists. You want to avoid them)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

PM me before you do. I’ll give you some recommendations and what to avoid (it’s Mongolian ultranationalists. You want to avoid them)

Can't imagine why I'd wanna do that...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Maybe not dumb work poo poo, but definitely someone who is not very bright:

A lot of my company and several other very sizeable contractors are working for a utility in a rural area. There is one store in this rural area that has anything even coming close to something like a Raley's/Publix/Safeway/Ralphs/Kroger. This guy has been doing a good business on account of this, because literally every contractor in this area goes and shops at his store during work for food, gas, toilet paper, etc.

So of loving course, last week, the owner of this store posted a sign on his front door telling contractors of this particular utility that they are no longer allowed to shop at his store, and that if they park their trucks in his parking lot, he would tow them (where and with what left as an exercise to the reader, I guess). Consequently, most of the contractors are now telling their employees not to go there for any reason. I cannot imagine telling something like 50% of my monthly loving customers to gently caress off, but I guess some people just want to watch the world burn.

Hope someone took a picture of his sign to shove in his stupid face a month from now when he bitches about losing business :lol:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Hope someone took a picture of his sign to shove in his stupid face a month from now when he bitches about losing business :lol:

He'll talk about how he was forced to close because nobody wants to work anymore.

That post is one of the more bizarre ones I've read here. Like, who the gently caress thinks it's a bad thing if a large group of people are working near your business and buying up more poo poo than normal? Sounds like one of those good problems. Was it just a parking issue with this dude? Like, in his mind, the trucks are taking up too many spots from his regular shoppers even though those truck drivers are still buying groceries and spending money?

It doesn't make any loving sense.

Hey, this construction crew/softball league/school field trip near this street has resulted in a real uptick in my little food truck business! So many more customers spending money on wraps and ice cream cone!. Better tell them all to gently caress off and get lost!

Why in the world would....Wait...I think I got it.

Were the construction workers or landscapers flooding this store...HISPANIC or BLACK by any chance?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll always remember the dude upset I was advertising his business to "urban" people and demanded I stop and some combination of no ads there and the obvious shift of where they were now going/the fact those people were not going to a chain sub restaurant his business completely tanked in a month and he called screaming at me to fix it.

Buddy, time machines don't exist and they frown on trepanning now so what do you want from me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

I'll always remember the dude upset I was advertising his business to "urban" people and demanded I stop and some combination of no ads there and the obvious shift of where they were now going/the fact those people were not going to a chain sub restaurant his business completely tanked in a month and he called screaming at me to fix it.

Buddy, time machines don't exist and they frown on trepanning now so what do you want from me.

While I don't doubt the sentiment expressed, the only people who believe that any amount (or absence) of conventional advertising could dramatically change the fortunes of Random Small Business inside a single month are... people who work in advertising.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

While I don't doubt the sentiment expressed, the only people who believe that any amount (or absence) of conventional advertising could dramatically change the fortunes of Random Small Business inside a single month are... people who work in advertising.

it doesn't matter how much data you present or how much experience you have when you're mostly dealing with people that "trust their gut"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I have received a job envelope. There is a job number, the Client is 'GJ' and the only other information is an address that doesn't work when I search it. The spaces for the legal description, contact person, date taken, phone, email, job instructions and instructions received from are all blank. It's not entered in the mapping system. Which is why I'm posting instead of working.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jaguars! posted:

I have received a job envelope. There is a job number, the Client is 'GJ' and the only other information is an address that doesn't work when I search it. The spaces for the legal description, contact person, date taken, phone, email, job instructions and instructions received from are all blank. It's not entered in the mapping system. Which is why I'm posting instead of working.

Bill three weeks and update status to complete.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Atopian posted:

This revelation that Australian people commonly have strong opinions about US politics is... alarming.
The media machine transcends borders I guess?

White supremacists everywhere look to the US as a shining example, unfortunately. It's part of why my partner and I are starting to look outside the country for work, even in the Seattle area you see lots of Trump flags around.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When I worked in Mongolia (circa 2013) and people learned I was American, they would always bring up how George Bush visited in 2005 and was “gifted” sone thing (that I guess he wasn’t supposed to keep?) and he took it home and people were still real salty about it.

Original imperial seal of China? Spear of Longinus? Voucher good for one (1) mandate of heaven, unused?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Why in the world would....Wait...I think I got it.

Were the construction workers or landscapers flooding this store...HISPANIC or BLACK by any chance?

It’s a podunk business owner’s duty to make simply existing as uncomfortable and inconvenient as possible for any sort of ethnic, gender, or religious minority. Really, he’s just being a Patriot™.

:911:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jaguars! posted:

George Jetson. Makes sense the address doesn't work, it's a job from the future, he lives in the sky with a robot maid.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Animal-Mother posted:

George Jetson. Makes sense the address doesn't work, it's a job from the future, he lives in the sky with a robot maid.

Fully automated luxury space fetishism

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

He's chosen a funny place to build a sky condo balanced on a rod then. Hope he's hired a good geotechnical engineer.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

goatface posted:

The number of Trump flags people see flown in Australia is definitely weird. Like the number seen in Canada, but thousands of miles away instead of next door.

I think I've seen maybe two in the UK.

The thing about Australia is it is spectacularly racist and full of chuds while simultaneously having a reputation of being a super friendly easy going country.

It’s like the whole world watched Crocodile Dundee and thanks it’s a documentary while also also under the impression the white supremacy race riots were in another country also called Australia.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Are you users forgetting that Rupert Murdoch was born in AU and has part of his media empire there?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Are you users forgetting that Rupert Murdoch was born in AU and has part of his media empire there?

That's why his views are so...upside-down

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah. I'm not saying I'm shocked, just more it's weirdly consistent among the Aussies I've met here at a much higher rate than Kiwis, Americans, Canadians, etc

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. I'm not saying I'm shocked, just more it's weirdly consistent among the Aussies I've met here at a much higher rate than Kiwis, Americans, Canadians, etc

Yeah, we have had a steady diet of racist bullshit for quite a while now. Back in the early 2000s, right wing politicians figured out that demonising refugees was an easy way to boost poll numbers, so they leaned heavily into that, which leads to situations like the continent of Australia being excised from the Australian Migration Zone.

The (nominally) center-left party saw how successful this was and leaned in as well, which left our Greens party as the only group saying "Hey, maybe we shouldn't torture people who are asking us for help".

This steady diet of hate of others means that chuds are fairly easily swayed by people like Trump. And Australia is full of chuds who havent been told to shut the gently caress up, so they are loud about their hosed up views.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Extra row of tits posted:

The thing about Australia is it is spectacularly racist and full of chuds while simultaneously having a reputation of being a super friendly easy going country.

It’s like the whole world watched Crocodile Dundee and thanks it’s a documentary while also also under the impression the white supremacy race riots were in another country also called Australia.

It's the same place full.of spectacularly racist chuds who are super friendly and easy going unless drinking or you're not the right colour.

Some of the time Australians don't realize how racist we really are. I went back after being away for a few years and had a few 'dude, not cool wtf' with friends who I thought were basically decent people. A lot of the time they're just ignorant and don't know any better, buuuuut also a lot of the time they're just racist shitheads. Chuds gonna chud.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Circa 2014;

Different, smallish studio of about 11. Owned by some super rich trust-fund kid living out his game dev fantasy. But with that comes all the crazy of working for a private individual.

I'm his right hand, but basically I'm just there to babysit the team while he's off spending money or doing rich-kid stuff, but I'm pretty much left to run the place minus dealing with major HR or cash flow/payroll issues.

This office was located in an area highly frequented by flooding and hurricanes. The year I'm there, we get a CAT 4 advisory, so I send the team home early and say let's close the office for a few days, boss agrees (yay).

I'm locking up to leave and he calls me from his yaht that he's going to undock and take out to sea. He proceeds to tell me to literally take the office's servers and dev kits home "for safe keeping".... Uhh wut?

Problem with this is that I live like 4 blocks away from the office. So how the gently caress is my lovely apartment safer for this stuff? Also if something has happened to these, I'd be in some serious legal trouble.

I said I would "secure them safely" and just unplugged the servers from power and left them right there. I stacked all the dev kits on the conference room table, and tossed a moving blanket on the pile. LoL.

Days go by, everything is fine. We get back into the office and boss sees me plugging servers back in and handing out dev kits. "Thanks for keeping them safe!" I replied "It was no trouble at all!"

JFC

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 11, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nm

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

A while ago my boss approached me about adding a feature to one of our systems. I start to look into it, compile some preliminary findings, map out what changes we need and what the feature will net us. Yesterday boss tells me that I'll need to speak to the feature today in a meeting with some VPs. Cool. I'll slap together some slides together quick on how feature won't work and how we'll need to make changes, hopefully get a bid in on some additional resources. In the meeting today, no one asks me anything. Boss just says we don't need to make any changes and this feature will fix everything.

Boss has been cobbling together the feature with white label goods and crap he's found on Amazon. I've noticed some of these pieces that I was going to test go missing from my office. I correctly assumed he was taking them. He installed them in one of our products in the lab.
Cool, a test mule, we can at least get some preliminary data from this. So what's our test plan?
"We're sending this unit to a vendor, who is sending it to a customer."
Cool, so we'll do a teardown and inspect when it comes back?
"It's sold. We'll never see it again."
Cool, so how do we get data?
"We'll just monitor it remotely."
Cool, we'll control zero variables and get one reading of one parameter every 24 hours, great test.

In case anyone was worried they weren't smart enough to become an engineer, if you have shopped on Amazon then you are halfway there.

Boss also told skip boss that this is a great candidate project to demonstrate our new PDP process. I guess I get to add a new decision diamond: "Do you have a Prime account??"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

new garbage health insurance plan kicked in on 7/1

I hit the out of pocket maximum yesterday ($3k)

at least my possibly impending parathyroid removal won't cost me a dime!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salami Surgeon posted:

In case anyone was worried they weren't smart enough to become an engineer, if you have shopped on Amazon then you are halfway there.

One time I was working on an engineering run with the engineers in the water run phase of a new product introduction at the drug plant; and part of the customer's demands was that, instead of filling samples from the filling nozzles, we fill directly off a line from the reservoir.
So the reservoir had a 1/2" silastic Y on it, one the normal length that went to the manifold and one 3' long, but nobody could really figure out how to pressurize to get a good drip since it's a gravity fill reservoir. poo poo was just spraying out, and the active product was going to be busulfan.
I won't go into busulfan, but it's really loving bad poo poo, look it up.
They finally rigged up a hand-fill nozzle with a 1' 1/8" silastic hose, and created a step-down that was probably about 5" total of fittings. I told them straight up, "it's working for the water run fine but I bet you it pops when we run the drug whose weight is 95% PEG."
Of course they got all pissed at me like I didn't work in a contract filling room every day, and got it approved.

First busulfan run, thankfully on my weekend, near the end of taking the first set of samples, the silastic hose disconnected from the step-down housing and doused those guys in busulfan. Thankfully there was a valve on the step-down. It was a big deal, no plating, running into the hallway, getting butt naked, safety shower, hospital poo poo. In the aftermath, they scrapped that run, cleaned it up and re-engineered it. I was never put on another busulfan run after that engineering run, but I didn't mind at all.

Engineers are funny.

edit: oh yeah the drip was really important because the accounted fill volume on the samples for the size of the lot (which was tight) was ~1-1.5ml. They ended up just using the filling nozzles from the manifold after they dialed in fill volumes :lmao:

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 11, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So, after testing positive for Covid19, being told I have to "miss five days" and jumping through hoops to prove the positive test since they "won't accept a free at home test" and need one from a "healthcare professional", this morning I asked my supervisor if I should come in because I haven't gotten my new test results in.

He asked ME if "it has been five days"?

I told him, well, felt sick Thursday, I took the test last Friday, got the results Sunday and wasn't sure if five days meant five working days, five days from the test itself or five days from the test result. I was like, they're your corporate rules, motherfucker, you tell me what to do. He also already knows the dates I missed and has a copy of my test so in my mind it's on him to count to loving five and tell ME what that means.

Does he want me back in the office, potentially still positive, or not? ALso, never once asked how I was doing, if my kid got it, was I feeling better, who I might have infected in the office or anything. Just "policy" straight down the line. Pissed me off.

Welp...off to work now!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Critical posted:

new garbage health insurance plan kicked in on 7/1

I hit the out of pocket maximum yesterday ($3k)

at least my possibly impending parathyroid removal won't cost me a dime!

I just left a job that had Kaiser Permanente for “medical”. There are no available primary care physicians on the entire west side of the Portland OR area. …thanks?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The company that bought us has an... Interesting process for replacing broken PCs:

Send a bare bones loaner, make the user send in their laptop. Fix the PC on a timescale of a week to shrug emoji, send the laptop back to the user, make the user send the loaner back.

In contrast our process has been: send a replacement, have the user ship the problem PC back, then we'll fix it and get it back into circulation.

Someone saw the light that yeah, that makes things easier for the tech and the user, but hoo boy are the techs from the parent company pissed about it because "well the user is still down, why change things?" (Not down as long as your process) Or "well users still order replacements when there's nothing wrong!"(that has nothing to do with IT troubleshooting and everything to do with users trying One Weird Trick to not fix issues), or my favorite "your process might be better, but it's not the current process" (gently caress you).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Icons are in the wrong place on loaner, 0/10.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Another criticism I saw: "what if they have a heavily configured machine, are you taking the time to set that up?" No, not really. Are you 'heavily configuring' a loving loaner before you send it out?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

... poo poo was just spraying out, and the active product was going to be busulfan.
I won't go into busulfan, but it's really loving bad poo poo, look it up.
They finally rigged up a hand-fill nozzle with a 1' 1/8" silastic hose, and created a step-down that was probably about 5" total of fittings. I told them straight up, "it's working for the water run fine but I bet you it pops when we run the drug whose weight is 95% PEG."
Of course they got all pissed at me like I didn't work in a contract filling room every day, and got it approved...

Real question after your joy of a chemo drug explosion story: why do they do a water test on a system that will be running something with such different properties to water?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatface posted:

Real question after your joy of a chemo drug explosion story: why do they do a water test on a system that will be running something with such different properties to water?

because they're a bunch of loving idiots, had to deal with water runs failing to do anything real as far as data on poo poo both thicker and thinner than water once it got to actual engineering runs

edit:also throwing away a shitload of PEG or medical-grade ethanol is expensive and hazardous and you can get the customer to sign off on water

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 11, 2022

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

MrQwerty posted:

because they're a bunch of loving idiots, had to deal with water runs failing to do anything real as far as data on poo poo both thicker and thinner than water once it got to actual engineering runs

edit:also throwing away a shitload of PEG or medical-grade ethanol is expensive and hazardous and you can get the customer to sign off on water

Sounds like you need a table of specific gravities that say "if <0.9, use EtOh, 0.9 to 1.1, use water, >1.1 use PEG" or something similar. Then you point to the SOP and tell your clients it's procedure and never budge.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Rhetorical question: Do you test to uncover problems or satisfy requirements?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but chemo drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cthulu Carl posted:

The company that bought us has an... Interesting process for replacing broken PCs:

Send a bare bones loaner, make the user send in their laptop. Fix the PC on a timescale of a week to shrug emoji, send the laptop back to the user, make the user send the loaner back.

In contrast our process has been: send a replacement, have the user ship the problem PC back, then we'll fix it and get it back into circulation.

Someone saw the light that yeah, that makes things easier for the tech and the user, but hoo boy are the techs from the parent company pissed about it because "well the user is still down, why change things?" (Not down as long as your process) Or "well users still order replacements when there's nothing wrong!"(that has nothing to do with IT troubleshooting and everything to do with users trying One Weird Trick to not fix issues), or my favorite "your process might be better, but it's not the current process" (gently caress you).

Ugh thank you for being the voice of reason. Also, if giving them another machine solves the problem they were having and you get their unit back and it can quickly go back out with someone else as their 'new machine', in what way is this causing serious loss?

The process you described, I've had to deal with as a user before and it drives me bonkers. It's just weirdly controlling and punitive to users, assuming right out the gate the machine is fine and the issue is the user is doing something wrong to it, that even giving it attention is wasted time for IT, and thus that users need to be disincentived from asking for help. And so, the system is made needlessly complex to make it harder for users to get help. What the fuuuuck