Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly? Same. I love Skull Island and it’s a very close second, but G14 has such a particular tone and vibe that none of the other Monsterverse movies ever replicated.

I really liked SI, G14 and KvG even though they're all a little different but I have a ton of dislike for KotM. I give these films a pretty wide berth to go where they want tonally because I realize the premise is kind of wide and far fetched or whatever but I have a really hard time excusing boring writing and bland acting. KvG had a bit of that but overcame a lot of it because the set pieces and action delivered so well and it never got bogged down but I found KotM to be a real slog.

Agree with whoever said that G14 was probably the best of the bunch at capturing that sense of scale from a human perspective and really nailed its own unique sense of style. Some people said it was slow but I never felt that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

I respect making a monster movie without having the budget to show monsters. This isnt ironic, i do think its a good drama

It’s wild that more low budget movies don’t use post-hurricane towns as places destroyed by monsters or the apocalypse or whatever. It’s such a easy trick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KOTM kicks rear end. Michael dougherty kicks rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the sheer scale of King of the Monsters but I do wish that the Godzilla scenes had some more of the fear that is omnipresent in G14.

Vogt-Roberts is a good director, Skull Island was great and I hope his Gundam movie is good.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

KOTM is messy, but I love the sheer amount of themes Dougherty gets in there. Like he's 100% in on using these creatures as representations of multiple ideas. It's a film with a clear passion for the material shining through.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Generic Action Dad (I know and do not care that he was the coach in that one show 15 years ago) and “We hired Eleven because she can scream” really drag KOTM down for me because they’re so un-compelling. I don’t care what happens to either of them and I don’t care about the now-massive Monarch supporting cast or their stupid Thunderbirds future tech bullshit. It also doesn’t help that you kill off the two actual interesting returning G14 characters at the end of the first and second acts for little to no reason.

And yeah the scale of the monsters is nice but without the ground-level cinematography and, for lack of a better word, reverence that G14 had for them they just end up feeling like action figures being smashed together. It’s a headache.

The only things I’ll give KOTM credit for are giving Rodan an attitude, wiping Boston off the map, and not being Godzilla vs Kong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I disagree with everything yoh said. I just wanted you to know that. Not that it adds anything.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

watching jurassic world: dumbnation (didnt pay for it) and this would have been better if it was a movie starring the rock

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree with everything yoh said. I just wanted you to know that. Not that it adds anything.

That’s fine, I know my opinion of the monsterverse is complete sicko territory. Those last two movies just did absolutely nothing for me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Karloff posted:

It almost feels like a procedural, G14. It's quite methodical in the way it plays out. Also, it has the best direction of any of the monsterverse films imo. Godzilla and The MUTOs feel truly huge and terrifying. That Golden Gate sequence is an all timer.

Gareth Edwards doesn't get enough credit for his visual sense. G14 and Rogue One are both gorgeous, amazingly shot movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generic Action Dad (I know and do not care that he was the coach in that one show 15 years ago) and “We hired Eleven because she can scream” really drag KOTM down for me because they’re so un-compelling. I don’t care what happens to either of them and I don’t care about the now-massive Monarch supporting cast or their stupid Thunderbirds future tech bullshit. It also doesn’t help that you kill off the two actual interesting returning G14 characters at the end of the first and second acts for little to no reason.

And yeah the scale of the monsters is nice but without the ground-level cinematography and, for lack of a better word, reverence that G14 had for them they just end up feeling like action figures being smashed together. It’s a headache.

The only things I’ll give KOTM credit for are giving Rodan an attitude, wiping Boston off the map, and not being Godzilla vs Kong.

This is exactly where I landed on it. There was a lot of cool poo poo in the film (IMAX) but not enough to overcome all that other stuff you mentioned. MBB's trademark mouth agape wide eyed upward stare every 10 minutes and the totally boring and bland parents just ground it to a halt. Even my kid, who was 9 at the time, said he liked it but thought "the human parts were so boring".

KvG suffered a little bit from this but seemed to realize that, overall, what the audience wanted was a lot of giant monsters doing giant monster poo poo and pretty much delivered. I know that often the human parts of these movies can be slow or even stupid here and there but KotM took it to a whole other level for me - and not a good one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KOTM would've been better as a full length Rodan movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The enviro-terrorist guy and his crew breaking Ghidorrah out of the ice was the highlight, but the fact that the most proactive character achieves their goal so quickly and then spends the rest of the film literally bunkered down leaves the rest of the film feeling too perfunctory.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Just give McReary the orchestra pit again you bare-minumum milquetoast fucks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please no - I don't want to cringe my way through again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

I took my uncle to the theater when I visited over in England and I hyped this up so much. "It's gonna be so good! The Godzilla movie in 2014 was amazing!!!" I remember it ending and I was stumbling over words to convince him and myself that it was just as good if not better. gently caress. Embarrassing ride back home. :lol:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bear's rendition of the Mothra song is god-tier. I'd watch a whole movie about Mothra versus Rodan because their scenes were the highlight of KOTM.

And I'm not gonna poo poo on the Argo flying wing and super tech cropping up because the goofy Super X planes and MASER tanks are always fun in the Toho films.

Edit.

The blue oyster cult song was awesome and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the KOTM Godzilla song a lot. It sounds like a movie trailer and System of a Down. So it’s fun. (Yes I know who sings it)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CelticPredator posted:

I like the KOTM Godzilla song a lot. It sounds like a movie trailer and System of a Down. So it’s fun. (Yes I know who sings it)

It absolutely kicks rear end. Unironically fantastic. Wonderful gym track.

The KOTM soundtrack is a triumph and by far the best part of the movie.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Please no - I don't want to cringe my way through again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

This is extremely my poo poo, though?

I'm trying to imagine what the Mothra bits from KOTM would be like with the directionless "it's just giant monsters, use tubas and thwomm noises" score we got from GvK and yeesh, no thanks.

Even the original themes McReary made for Ghidorah and Rodan were absolute bangers.

G14's score is pretty competent, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Rodan theme kicks so much rear end, those horns are my lifeblood

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

That whole bit with Rodan is the best section of the movie. He's just so lethal. Everything around him is violence, and the score goes into a straight up panic the moment he shows up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah KoTM Rodan is the best version of him committed to screen in my book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Agree that the Rodan sequence was probably the best part of that movie. He was like a loving jet fighter that spew fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then Mothra made him her plaything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rodan getting stabbed by Mothra is a big highlight - just like, "gently caress ME". Plus they nailed his face update as it looks like the OG just better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdMzH0fpnDY&t=138s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would love to see a MonsterVerse take on Mothra vs Battra. Zhang Ziyi can play the twins again as they watch over the Mothra eggs and then help the good Mothra caterpillar grow up to stop the evil one that Charles Dance wants to use to create a doomsday butterfly swarm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I would love to see a MonsterVerse take on Mothra vs Battra. Zhang Ziyi can play the twins again as they watch over the Mothra eggs and then help the good Mothra caterpillar grow up to stop the evil one that Charles Dance wants to use to create a doomsday butterfly swarm.

Give us big budget CGI Dagahra!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Give us big budget CGI Dagahra!

And Megaguirus so we can recreate the Godzilla bellyflop attack.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Arc Hammer posted:

Poor Battra didn't get much to do much his first time around. I think Mothra pretty much already has that dark side that he's supposed to embody, where she'll smash thru a city to make things right, and we have to take a hard look at ourselves to see if we're safe from her bad side. I love it when the twins threaten humans with blithe matter of factness - "oh yes, if you do not return the egg, Mothra is sure to destroy everything!"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s fine, I know my opinion of the monsterverse is complete sicko territory. Those last two movies just did absolutely nothing for me.

That's cause they aren't very good

Arc Hammer posted:

And Megaguirus so we can recreate the Godzilla bellyflop attack.

Please no

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

hey, at least there's the secondary market! :v:

also, if you're jonesing for that Biollante poster, the artist usually has a few extra prints that he puts up for sale on his website once the street date rolls around.

https://www.strongstuffshop.net/

should be july-ish for the biollante poster I think?

Thanks for this, the Biollante one came out today and I snagged both of them. I had been refreshing the page once a day for a while

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
$22(!) shipping is outrageous

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

$22(!) shipping is outrageous

I thought so too until I realized it's coming in a 3 foot long tube

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just want Gigan in the MonsterVerse.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If they bring in Gigan, but they better bring in Megalon and Jet Jaguar too. They come as a package imo :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

teagone posted:

If they bring in Gigan, but they better bring in Megalon and Jet Jaguar too. They come as a package imo :colbert:

Incorrect, Gigan was in Final Wars while Megalon and Jet Jaguar weren't, and of course Jet Jaguar was a major part of Singular Point but Gigan wasn't and there was a monster influenced by Megalon but no actual Megalon.

You need to get your facts straight, pal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gripweed posted:

Incorrect, Gigan was in Final Wars while Megalon and Jet Jaguar weren't, and of course Jet Jaguar was a major part of Singular Point but Gigan wasn't and there was a monster influenced by Megalon but no actual Megalon.

You need to get your facts straight, pal.

Godzilla vs Megalon, which Gigan and Jet Jaguar were in, came out before Final Wars. Seniority takes priority, bub. Respect your elders.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

teagone posted:

Godzilla vs Megalon, which Gigan and Jet Jaguar were in, came out before Final Wars. Seniority takes priority, bub. Respect your elders.

If that's how we're measuring it, Godzilla vs Gigan came out a year earlier and had neither Megalon nor Jet Jaguar! Godzilla vs Megalon set no pattern and established no precedent.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

teagone posted:

I'm going to agree with this mostly because I want Bear McCreary to come back and do his take on the Jet Jaguar theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bring back Seatopians and their togas.