Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It certainly helps that Disney's library continues to grow, and Netflix's has generally shrunk every year. That and the exclusive D+ content is better than what Netflix has been putting out for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

It certainly helps that Disney's library continues to grow, and Netflix's has generally shrunk every year. That and the exclusive D+ content is better than what Netflix has been putting out for awhile.

That was part of HBO Max's problem. They'd put stuff that they already own the rights 'back in the vault' to enforce artificial scarcity.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Pop quiz: Who would you use Richard Ayoade as in a comic book movie?

I've been thinking about this for a while, because I love the guy and my answer is Ted Kord (aka the Blue Beetle) but I wanna hear what you guys think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The problem is that Disney+ has never been profitable on its own and likely won't be for some time. It's not clear if Disney+ is intended to be a loss-leader/value-add component of the business or not.
It’s not a problem and it is clear. Iger was not shy about saying that they didn’t expect to turn a profit on D+ for a decade. Disney does not give a poo poo about profit, they’re getting exactly what they wanted. They want a streaming service with a huge install base so that when cable collapses and dies — and it’s going to, soon — they’re sitting pretty. They want your kids to have new favorite characters so that they’ll come to the parks to see Mirabel and Cruella. They want people to always be watching something Marvel or Star Wars, to keep those fandoms hyped up for the next movies and buying merch in the mean time. I’d bet you money that the Grogu merch alone has more than paid for what they’ve “lost” on Disney+.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 11, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Strontosaurus posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while, because I love the guy and my answer is Ted Kord (aka the Blue Beetle) but I wanna hear what you guys think.

Marvel: Beast
DC: Wally

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

So not only are they still planning on releasing The Flash WB has been doing reshoots over the summer with Ezra Miller.

"So why is Flash wearing this green suit over his face in this scene?"

"Oh no reason Ezra, no reason at all..."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Strontosaurus posted:

Johnny/Jakeem Thunder's Thunderbolt in a JSA movie. Or Tawney Tiger in Shazam 2.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Strontosaurus posted:

Punisher

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Strontosaurus posted:

Reed. I want him for Reed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Seriously get him for the (DC?) character who’s power is doing cocaine,snowflame or something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Seriously get him for the (DC?) character who’s power is doing cocaine,snowflame or something?
Snowflame, yes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Based on the new reporting about the OTHER cult compound Ezra was running in Iceland, it seems less like an issue with alcohol/drugs specifically and more that a combination of "mental health issues" + "rich and powerful person believes they are untouchable and entitled to do anything" are the likely sources of this behavior.

Drugs and alcohol can certainly cause these behaviors, but it really seems like it has been a mental health situation + shielded from all consequences combo that has been enhanced by drugs and alcohol rather than being caused by it. Obviously, you can't diagnose someone from just press reportings, but this seems like it goes beyond drugs/alcohol and being a groomer.

quote:

New Details About Ezra Miller's Cult Leader-Like Behavior Surface

New allegations surrounding The Flash's Ezra Miller suggest that the actor ran a cult-like sanctuary during their time in Reykjavik, Iceland.

New details have emerged about The Flash star Ezra Miller's cult-like behavior during their time in Iceland.

According to Insider, multiple people have stated that Miller acted like a cult leader during their time renting a spacious Airbnb in Reykjavik, Iceland, which was home to "a menagerie of Icelandic artists, expats, and spiritual confidants whom [Miller had] encouraged to stay there, even though many had their own homes in Reykjavik." One woman, who visited the house in March 2020, referred to the Airbnb as a "commune," noting how the guests living in the house were "hypnotized" by Miller's every word and unfazed by their mood swings. Rumors soon began to circulate in Reykjavik that The Flash actor was running a cult due to their monologues on spirituality and emotional outbursts, as well as their insistence that they possessed supernatural powers, requesting that guests should participate in group meditations. Insider noted that "[many] of the people who became involved with Miller said they believed in the issues Miller cared about."

quote:

However, not everyone who visited Miller's house was enamored by them. A 23-year-old woman reported witnessing Miller fly easily into a rage over trivial matters, swearing and screaming at one group of friends for trying to pick which song to play over a speaker, telling the group to get out of their "sanctuary." The woman also recalled a time when Miller confronted her and her friend about wanting to leave the house. "You don't like my hospitality," said Miller, who warned the pair that they could read minds. When she eventually left the house, she stated that it felt like escaping. "I was a bit traumatized for a while," she admitted. "It was one of the weirdest days I've ever experienced."

quote:

Another woman, an 18-year-old musician, also shared her experience with Miller, recounting to Insider that "she had sex with Miller three times [in a hotel] and communicated sparsely with friends and family." She also stated that the actor became fixated on her breeding capabilities and worshipped her "perfect" womb while telling her that her family was holding her back from a better life. "Ezra was super manipulative. They kind of had us all under their finger," she said. "They were able to twist and pull everything that I thought I knew about the world."

After six days, Miller returned to their home in Reykjavík and the woman went home to her apartment where her roommate proceeded to share documents with her about how cult leaders promise spiritual awakenings or material goods to manipulate targets and isolate them from their friends and family. "[It was] the exact same thing that I was in with Ezra and that really scared me," the young musician said, who was so terrified of seeing Miller again that she fled her apartment until the actor left the country 10 days later. The woman has stated that while she only spent six days with Miller, "it honestly felt way, way longer" and that she isn't sure she will ever "recover from this."

quote:

Miller being called a cult leader is the latest in a long string of accusations against the actor. They had previously been reported to the police for engaging with a German woman in threatening, abusive behavior while visiting her home in February 2022. The actor has also been accused of grooming an 18-year-old woman by her parents. Another incident involves Miller housing a mother and her three children at a cannabis farm with loose firearms in June 2022. Despite all the allegations and accusations against the actor, Warner Bros. is still expected to release The Flash, which stars Miller as the titular speedster, in theaters in 2023.

https://www.cbr.com/ezra-miller-cul...campaign=CBR-TW

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strontosaurus posted:

Multiple Man.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-flash-fate-ezra-miller-problem-worsens-warners-1235196919/

quote:

Warner Bros. Weighing Fate of ‘The Flash’ as Its Ezra Miller Problem Grows

First, Warners has received indications that the 29-year-old Miller, whose mother has accompanied the actor in recent days, will seek professional help after returning home to their farm in Vermont after being away. If that help happens, Miller, who goes by they/them pronouns, could give an interview at some point explaining their erratic behavior over the past few years. The actor could then do limited press for The Flash, and the movie would open in cinemas as planned.

The third case: Things go from bad to worse, with the situation with Miller deteriorating. This would see Warners killing the movie outright, as it could not be reshot with a different actor. Miller […] is in almost every scene. Scrapping a $200 million film would be an unprecedented move.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Welp, scrapping the film entirely is now on the table, something I'm pretty sure WB sources have consistently denied in reporting on the Miller clusterfuck until now.

Granted, most of us probably knew that was a possibility if the Miller situation continued to deteriorate, but that they're now willing to say so to industry reporters, even off the record, is a fairly notable shift.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barry Convex posted:

Welp, scrapping the film entirely is now on the table, something I'm pretty sure WB sources have consistently denied in reporting on the Miller clusterfuck until now.

Granted, most of us probably knew that was a possibility if the Miller situation continued to deteriorate, but that they're now willing to say so to industry reporters, even off the record, is a fairly notable shift.

Yeah, they are still saying that there is a 0.01% of it ever happening, nobody is planning for it, it is just a theoretical possibility if something so insane we can't even predict it ever happened, etc.

But, it is a notable shift from "full speed ahead no matter what" just a week ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1557735946132783106?t=Ikg2uQumKQiNJ6q65-7AMw&s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Strontosaurus posted:

H.E.R.B.I.E. for my top pick. If not, Doctor Doom.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's no way option 2 is viable. If Miller gives a mea culpa and gets help, then yeah, I see a way to finesse them into sliding. But you can't just hide "oh yeah our massive summer tentpole is starring an accused felon" under the carpet and hope nobody mentions it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CapnAndy posted:

There's no way option 2 is viable. If Miller gives a mea culpa and gets help, then yeah, I see a way to finesse them into sliding. But you can't just hide "oh yeah our massive summer tentpole is starring an accused felon" under the carpet and hope nobody mentions it.

Based on the Variety report on the same subject from earlier this week, WB believes that Miller is low-profile enough a figure that (at least in this scenario) audiences would associate the film more with the Flash character and other DC superhero IP than with Miller and the scandals surrounding them. I'm extremely skeptical of this, to put it mildly, but apparently that's a big part of their current thinking.

quote:

In the past, actors who found themselves in hot water but did not get scratched from the call sheet have effectively been hidden on press tours in the hopes that the general public won’t notice their absence. Recently, Ansel Elgort, who played Tony in Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” remake, took that route in the wake of a sexual assault allegation levied against the actor in 2020. Ditto Armie Hammer, who starred in Disney and 20th Century’s “Death on the Nile” and faced sexual abuse allegations after filming was wrapped. For “West Side Story,” Elgort’s co-stars Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose and Rita Moreno successfully steered the film’s press tour. With “Death on the Nile,” there was a sense Hammer (who did not do any press for the ensemble-heavy movie) wasn’t enough of a household name for people to know about the allegations.

Sources close to “The Flash” believe that Miller is similarly under-the-radar, despite credits like the film adaptation of “The Perks of Being a Wallflower, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Justice League” and three “Fantastic Beasts” installments. Already, Miller’s streak of arrests had forced Warner Bros. to downplay the actor’s involvement in “Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore,” which opened in theaters in April.

But akin to Hammer in “Death on the Nile,” Miller played one of several main characters in the “Harry Potter” spinoff, meaning promotional efforts did not land squarely on their shoulders. The same cannot be said about “The Flash.” Sure, the movie also features big names like Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton. But a studio cannot effectively promote a big-budget blockbuster without the film’s star.

However, analysts have pointed out that, with comic book heroes, the character itself is often a bigger star than the actor wearing the Lycra suit.

“The thing about superheroes is… it doesn’t really matter who is under the mask,” Bock says. “You can plug and play different actors in those roles.” Though Miller’s take on the character has appeared in several DC-mashups, like “Justice League,” Bock argues they’re not “the face of The Flash yet.” In other words, “Ezra is not Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.”

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Love the idea that media outlets will just sort of say "oh nah let's not eat for years on a bunch of articles about this, Miller is just too low profile to bother with." I'm sure the less scrupulous ones won't spend that whole year trying to track Miller down to just wait and see if they do anything crazy near a camera or anything like that. Why bother? That's just the smallest potatoes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can promote a film without the star, it's just harder and awkward. But to their point about EM being under the radar for most people, that means Miller wasn't going to be a big draw for the movie anyway.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 11, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“The thing about superheroes is… it doesn’t really matter who is under the mask,” Bock says. “You can plug and play different actors in those roles.” Though Miller’s take on the character has appeared in several DC-mashups, like “Justice League,” Bock argues they’re not “the face of The Flash yet.” In other words, “Ezra is not Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.”

And WB execs wonder why they can't a cohesive film universe put togather.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, they're right that even in the better justice league ezra was not remotely as interesting or charismatic as rdj

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Soonmot posted:

And WB execs wonder why they can't a cohesive film universe put togather.

That quote's not from anyone who works at DC or WB

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

You can promote a film without the star, it's just harder and awkward. But to their point about EM being under the radar for most people, that means they weren't going to be a big draw for the movie anyway.

You are probably gonna get probated if you keep misgendering Ezra. They're a dangerous creep, but they're also nonbinary. Both of these things can be simultaneously true!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 11, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

You are probably gonna get probated if you keep misgendering Ezra. They're a dangerous creep, but they're also nonbinary. Both of these things can be simultaneously true!

Was not intentional. I try to use their name so I have fewer opportunities to screw up by forgetting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm actually surprised that right-wing media has been ignoring the whole Miller debacle

You would think that's a perfect target for them considering their obsession with trans people recently

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1557837209763340288

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1557837530929647616

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm actually surprised that right-wing media has been ignoring the whole Miller debacle

You would think that's a perfect target for them considering their obsession with trans people recently

They probably would if the movie didn't keep getting delayed and it increasingly looks like it might get canned. If it comes out they might start some poo poo when it's closer to release

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Was not intentional. I try to use their name so I have fewer opportunities to screw up by forgetting.

Yeah it has happened to me but then I realize my mistake and edit the post. Editing does exist!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

theironjef posted:

Love the idea that media outlets will just sort of say "oh nah let's not eat for years on a bunch of articles about this, Miller is just too low profile to bother with." I'm sure the less scrupulous ones won't spend that whole year trying to track Miller down to just wait and see if they do anything crazy near a camera or anything like that. Why bother? That's just the smallest potatoes.

This is my thinking too. Miller might be low profile enough right now, but if they're still out comitting crimes by the time marketing for The Flash starts ramping up it's going to be feeding frenzy in the media.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Yeah it has happened to me but then I realize my mistake and edit the post. Editing does exist!

I did edit it if that's what you're saying. I can't change SlimGoodbody's quote of the post though, obviously.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lobok posted:

I did edit it if that's what you're saying. I can't change SlimGoodbody's quote of the post though, obviously.

No worries, I took care of it. :patriot:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just so I'm clear, Ezra Miller is entirely unusable at this point, right? If they show up for a premiere or try to start filming Flash 2 or something, are they just gonna get immediately arrested?

Like, is this Hollywood star bullshit crime that means they have to maybe go to rehab or something, or would they actually be in no-poo poo prison if they weren't on the run?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 11, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phenotype posted:

Just so I'm clear, Ezra Miller is entirely unusable at this point, right? If they show up for a premiere or try to start filming Flash 2 or something, are they just gonna get immediately arrested?

Like, is this Hollywood star bullshit crime that means they have to maybe go to rehab or something, or would they actually be in no-poo poo prison if they weren't on the run?

Only if they are in a jurisdiction with a warrant out for their arrest and someone snitches on them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Flash 2 will be a reality TV show filmed from prison

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A while back I saw someone float the idea of recasting Flash with Elliot Page and I'm honestly really down with that idea.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Jamesman posted:

A while back I saw someone float the idea of recasting Flash with Elliot Page and I'm honestly really down with that idea.

That was me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Release the movie before they kills someone!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 12, 2022