Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Mikau's just loving dead and his bandmate/pregnant girlfriend Lulu is just left to mourn for him...

actually Link just replaces him and lives his new life with a fish band and fish GF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Majora's mask hd remake when

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they already did that, it was on the 3DS.

it has some issues.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

it has some issues.

Don't we all, these day?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

actually Link just replaces him and lives his new life with a fish band and fish GF.

It just occurred to me that in OoT, the fish girl wants to be Link's wife, and then in MM she's the girlfriend of one of the guys Link ends up soul-stealing.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

PhazonLink posted:

it has some issues.

I never played it but one of my kids got it for Christmas on her DS. I tried playing it but couldn’t get past the horrible controls. Bummed I bought Turok 2 over Majora’s Mask back in the day :smith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Frank Frank posted:

I tried playing it but couldn’t get past the horrible controls.

What

Compared to N64? :dogstare:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They made the underwater controls really bad.

They also tweaked the boss fights, so while each fight still has the basic mechanic there (Roll-smashing the Snowhead boss, Deku-blasting into Odolwa's taint etc.), instead of damaging the boss it just puts them in a 'gasping for breath' pose with a big eye-tumor as a weak point.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also don't let your fans run the asylum, who say that Termina was nothing but a dream in an officially-endorsed Fan Wank guidebook.

Ehh, Koholint was also just a dream. Doesn't mean it didn't also happen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Koholint happened in-game.

There is nothing to suggest that Termina is an illusion when there's an entire epilogue to the story that tells you what happens when you leave.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hyrule is the illusion

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Actually it was all Link's dying dream faaaart god I hate how that theory got trotted out for loving everything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfface posted:

They made the underwater controls really bad.

They also tweaked the boss fights, so while each fight still has the basic mechanic there (Roll-smashing the Snowhead boss, Deku-blasting into Odolwa's taint etc.), instead of damaging the boss it just puts them in a 'gasping for breath' pose with a big eye-tumor as a weak point.

Ehh, Koholint was also just a dream. Doesn't mean it didn't also happen.

i had an easier time with the underwater controls on 3ds than i remember having with the n64

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
In Streets Of Rage 4, certain enemies have certain properties applied to them including being heavier than other enemies. This generally means that they fall to the ground faster on knockdown and are harder to juggle. The heaviest enemy in the game, these fire-breathing fat guys, take appreciably longer to throw: you can still throw them, but they don't go as far and it slows down the throw animation so that it seems like your character is only juuuuust able to get them off their feet. For some reason this is enormously satisfying to me.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Not to continue the derail but I thought the whole ocarina / majoras mask thing was some weirdness with leftover timelines?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

None of the timelines are real

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

What

Compared to N64? :dogstare:

Hey I actually 120 starred Mario 64 using that hosed up controller. I played MK3 Ultimate(?) and Killer Instinct Gold on that thing. Not even going to touch how much Goldeneye death match we played. I still could not get the hang of using the DS (but it’s like 25 years later and my age is probably a factor).

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Aug 11, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

Actually it was all Link's dying dream faaaart god I hate how that theory got trotted out for loving everything

I like to flip it backwards and say that actually they're the only alive person in the game and it's actually everyone else who's dead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ZeusCannon posted:

Not to continue the derail but I thought the whole ocarina / majoras mask thing was some weirdness with leftover timelines?

I think they came up with the multiple timelines some time after that, I don't remember hearing anything about it until Wind Waker was out

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Legend of Zelda timeline:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The multiple timelines is about the relationships between games, not any particular game

Some people just can't accept that the games are disconnected retellings of the same myth and require them to be ordered as parts of a single story. But they're inconsistent so the only way to do this was to put them in multiple timelines

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

RandolphCarter posted:

The Legend of Zelda timeline:

the sacred realm is in the tittle

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

haveblue posted:

The multiple timelines is about the relationships between games, not any particular game

Some people just can't accept that the games are disconnected retellings of the same myth and require them to be ordered as parts of a single story. But they're inconsistent so the only way to do this was to put them in multiple timelines

I read one fansite which decided the timeline went Ocarina>Majora>Wind Waker>some unspecified event causes the ocean to drain and Hyrule comes back to life>Link To The Past

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After bouncing off it once before I finally got into kingdom come deliverance, and it's surprisingly great.

I love the casual yet fair difficulty of it, fighting is though as balls at the beginning and even after getting better any fight with 2 or more enemies is a death sentence. The equipment really has a huge impact on your survivability and effectiveness too.

It's also great how most things get predictable results compared to video game logic. Sneaking around during day time makes you suspicious. Selling stuff looted off a guy you killed will be rejected by honorable merchants. Stealing a uniform of a guy helps you infiltrate his camp, but once people start questioning you it falls apart until you're good at bluffing. Everything you can reasonably assume will happen when you do x actually does, it's refreshing.

Also the mission where you're meeting the priest in a small town to find out info was so fun, what a pleasant surprise. :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

I think they came up with the multiple timelines some time after that, I don't remember hearing anything about it until Wind Waker was out

I know that fans had the notion of multiple timelines back in the Majora's Mask-ish era, although it took until Wind Waker for things to start firming up. Twilight Princess was when we first started getting actual proof that it wasn't total nonsense, as while every game before then could plausibly make sense in one timeline, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker were just outright incompatible with how they treated Ganondorf.

Hyrule Historia coming out gave us the actual timeline, which showed there were three branches rather than the two everyone was putting everything in, because it turns out 'Link fuckin died' was an option this whole time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Having "Link loving Died" as a timeline to cover for the NES games and because the manual text in for Link to the Past sort of sounded like OoT but didn't quite fit is amazing

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I used to be super into timeline poo poo, like how the town names in Adventure of Link matching the Sages in OoT obviously meant one game happened after the other and trying to figure out how the whole Oracle of Ages/Seasons thing worked. If you posted on the IGN Zelda forums between 2003 and 2007, I probably got into a fight with you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TURBO OVERKILL is absolutely crammed to the gills with so many references to the genre it is a love letter to, that two entire level names are devoted to one pun:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1300/SiN_Episodes_Emergence/

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final Fantasy XIV comes up with some very silly excuses for gameplay conventions, and I find them very charming. For example, the ultra-hard versions of regular boss fights are framed as a wandering minstrel (modeled after the game's producer) reciting the tales of your heroism and ...embellishing a little.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It just occurred to me that in OoT, the fish girl wants to be Link's wife, and then in MM she's the girlfriend of one of the guys Link ends up soul-stealing.

the number of fish that want to gently caress link is quite surprising

well, it's weird that it happened twice

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

The dying dream of an autistic kid mutated from the radioactive fallout of an apocalyptic nuclear war.

It's abundantly clear that the entire Zelda franchise is actually couched within the Fallout universe. Just a cool little easter egg for the real fans.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the number of fish that want to gently caress link is quite surprising

well, it's weird that it happened twice

Thrice. The wind fish got those bedroom eyes.

:wiggle:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fitting that he has a big blue star on his back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's such a funky recurring gag that people made memes about specifically the concept of Link being attracted to 0 women only fish

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Thrice. The wind fish got those bedroom eyes.

:wiggle:

Doesn’t the fish lady in Breath of the Wild have a thing for him too?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

I don't think Sidon identifies as a lady

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I don't think Sidon identifies as a lady

I mean Sidon’s dead sister

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Last Celebration posted:

She was his fiance, so you'd hope so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fish want him
fish fear him

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She was his fiance, so you'd hope so.

She wanted to propose to him, but hadn't gone through with it before poo poo went down. So, yes had a thing for him, but not engaged.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally we know Link's last name, and it's McClure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fish want me
Pigs fear me