Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inu posted:

I finished the Golden Deer route and start a new game+ for Black Eagles and...it's insanely easy with these late game weapons available from the beginning. Event my level 3 units who I didn't have in the last playthrough can slice through bosses if they just have a good weapon equipped.

Does maddening make up for this lack of difficulty? I'm on hard now. Or should I start over with a new game? I'm not looking for anything super challenging, but I feel like I barely have to play the game now to clear maps.

If you're just looking to find the old balance, you have the option of not using late-game weapons from the other routes. I just shelved characters I had on previous runs and ran with new characters, pulling out Shez or an Ashen Wolf if I just wanted to cheese a map. You can also delete levels at the training grounds if you want to!

An actual new game also means losing all supports and having to do camp upgrades all over. I'd rather just make a bunch of smaller changes to select my difficulty than deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you're just looking to find the old balance, you have the option of not using late-game weapons from the other routes. I just shelved characters I had on previous runs and ran with new characters, pulling out Shez or an Ashen Wolf if I just wanted to cheese a map. You can also delete levels at the training grounds if you want to!

An actual new game also means losing all supports and having to do camp upgrades all over. I'd rather just make a bunch of smaller changes to select my difficulty than deal with that.

Yeah, that's a good point about the weapons. The overpowered weapons are a big part of how easy it is. I finally get why so many people were saying that strength and magic stats don't matter in this game. The gap between powered-up weapons and base weapons is huge.

That alone might help hit the sweet spot.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I've finally finished the Black Eagle and Blue Lions routes my verdict so far...

The Blue Lion route has a terrible, terrible ending even worse then in three houses. Why would there still be a war with the empire?? Why wouldn't Dimitri finally reconcile with Edelguard when she breaks free of Thales control at the end?? Yes I know we are to view that Dimitri is letting Edelguard go but come on that's it!?He could have hugged her and then ended the war right there. Makes no sense. It's like they actively didn't want to give us the good ending.

I enjoyed the Jounery and spending time with the characters but awful awful ending.

Black Eagle ending when saving Byleth in comparison was a fantastic ending even though it was barely five minutes and was barely an ending.

Just wow the Blue Lion ending was the worst in three houses and they somehow managed to make the Blue Lion ending worse in three hopes.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I just started playing this game and wow you really do speed through the academy phase incredibly fast. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in combat and I'm not convinced it matters, fights seem winnable by mashing every button on the controller until all the enemies are dead. I went with Claude since he was my first pick in 3 Houses and also because he is my boy. I'm pretty apathetic on the musou gameplay stuff so far but I'm excited for more lore!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The musou gameplay isn't anything too deep, you're basically right about mashing buttons. I tend to stack stat increasing items on shez so I can just end a mission when I want to be done. Otherwise I tend to amuse myself with helicopter parenting my AI allies and give them encouragement. Yes Ferdinand, you're doing great. You're very brave to take down so many enemies. Pay no attention that I have already cleared enemies within a 2 mile radius around you.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I'm suffering from massive information overload so I might just pick one character and play as them exclusively while I figure out what anything does. It kind of reminds me of playing Sacred Stones for the first time and being very confused by everything.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

midnight lasagna posted:

I'm suffering from massive information overload so I might just pick one character and play as them exclusively while I figure out what anything does. It kind of reminds me of playing Sacred Stones for the first time and being very confused by everything.

This game is my first musou, so I also found it confusing to figure out what all the moves are at first.

I found it helped me a lot to do whatever I could on the map since I could stop the action for a moment. Like, you can assign adjutants, or switch characters without going to the map, but doing it mid-battle means remembering more button combos, so I just always go to the map to do those things.

Also, if you're like me and suck at navigating through the stages, just constantly assign characters to go where you want, and then switch to them when they get there. I almost never actually move through the stages myself, I just take care of battles and let the computer move units for me.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Oh, can you assign adjutants through the map menu? I assigned exactly one in the first battle where I could and then never bothered again because standing next to someone and pressing the right buttons felt like too much of a hassle.

I've been playing more of this and while I don't think I dislike it, I'm not sure I like it either. All these extra mechanics feel a bit pointless when button mashing seems to do the job fine in most situations. I wonder if I'm making a mistake by trying to train everyone, I know that's a big nono in standard FE games but I thought here it might be different. I feel like Shez could do everything by herself if I wanted to do that.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

If I had to assign adjutants mid-battle, I'd probably never do it, because yeah, who has time to remember button combinations?

You can do it on the map if you choose a character with A, move to another character, and then press ZR to get the menu options.

I mostly only use adjutants on the end of chapter maps when there are 8 units, or on the random battles where you just fight against two monsters. It feels like most of the rest of the time, you're better off having everyone separate so they can cover more ground.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

midnight lasagna posted:

I've been playing more of this and while I don't think I dislike it, I'm not sure I like it either. All these extra mechanics feel a bit pointless when button mashing seems to do the job fine in most situations. I wonder if I'm making a mistake by trying to train everyone, I know that's a big nono in standard FE games but I thought here it might be different. I feel like Shez could do everything by herself if I wanted to do that.
If you're on normal difficulty you can mostly get through the game with just button mashing, that's been the case with basically every musou game ever made. You have to use a modicum of strategy on the higher difficulty modes when damage gets high enough that you can't just ignore getting hit, though even then as long as you have a combat art to use you can get through a lot with iframes.

As far as training goes, the main issue with it in mainline games is that there's a limited amount of EXP available, plus weapons don't usually get strong enough to let an underlevelled character fight effectively, neither of which is the case in this game. Also, there are certain maps that break up your characters into multiple teams, and some challenge maps that restrict the gender of characters that can be deployed, so sticking entirely to one super-unit can get you in trouble if your other teams aren't capable of keeping up the slack. That said, you don't need to keep everyone fully up to date- you can buy levels at the training field up to that of the highest level character in your army, and an underlevelled character with a strong, forged weapon can usually keep up reasonably well as long as you mostly keep them against enemies they have a type advantage against. Usually I try to keep a core team of 6-8 characters mostly up to date, and rotate the rest out enough to master their primary classes and get support ranks up.

Inu posted:

I mostly only use adjutants on the end of chapter maps when there are 8 units, or on the random battles where you just fight against two monsters. It feels like most of the rest of the time, you're better off having everyone separate so they can cover more ground.

Counterpoint: using adjutants is basically the only way to get support points in a reliable fashion- you can get one per pair per mission by killing an enemy officer, and another by performing a paired super attack. Pretty much every other source of support points is either limited by activity points or super slow.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I'm a little into Chapter 9 of Claude's route and honestly, I really like this? The plot's definitely not perfect but in broad strokes I think it works, This is a much, much better Claude than in 3 Houses. He certainly feels more like an underhanded oppurtunist here than the one he was only ever alleged to be in that game. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've finished this story and played the other two (or Edelgard's at least, Dimitri's a fun character but the poor boy really shouldn't be in charge of anything), but right now this seems to be like it might be the route that puts Fodlan in the best position. Or maybe something dumb happens at the end of this to make it all terrible, who knows! I just think a crestless future with Claude might be better than a crestless future with Edelgard.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

midnight lasagna posted:

I'm a little into Chapter 9 of Claude's route and honestly, I really like this? The plot's definitely not perfect but in broad strokes I think it works, This is a much, much better Claude than in 3 Houses. He certainly feels more like an underhanded oppurtunist here than the one he was only ever alleged to be in that game. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've finished this story and played the other two (or Edelgard's at least, Dimitri's a fun character but the poor boy really shouldn't be in charge of anything), but right now this seems to be like it might be the route that puts Fodlan in the best position. Or maybe something dumb happens at the end of this to make it all terrible, who knows! I just think a crestless future with Claude might be better than a crestless future with Edelgard.

Okay nevermind, Claude's being ~morally dubious~. The general idea of this doesn't seem bad or anything, Claude's actions actually having consequences is good, it just feels like a rapid tone shift and a little silly. Maybe it would have landed better if the casualty I'm supposed to care about wasn't the Empire's blandest NPC, or if Judith didn't reprimand Claude in a tone of voice like she'd got a phone call from his school saying he hadn't been doing his homework. I guess I'll wait until I'm finished with the story before I try forming any more opinions...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i like the little mission blurbs at least attempting to give you reasons to do the filler fights, but boy does it indicate a luridcrous level of banditry in fodlan. the countryside is just 90% bandit.

maybe they're all trying to learn death blow

e: i've only completed GW so far so I dunno if it applies elsewhere but there eventually there's poo poo like "bandits have captured this reinforced fort" or "those who slither in the dark have launched a deadly strike using their mastery of the dark arts, to recruit some bandits"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 29, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bandits also really love the opera

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

"those who slither in the dark have launched a deadly strike using their mastery of the dark arts, to recruit some bandits"

Historically, recruiting bandits has worked out pretty well for them.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Bandits also really love the opera

who says bandits can't appreciate a little culture every now and then

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Metis of the Hallway posted:

who says bandits can't appreciate a little culture every now and then

shez and dorothea's support chain, which revolves around how opera as a business is all about entertaining the upper classes

i guess there can be extremely cultured bandits though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bandits have been a meme in Fire Emblem for a while now and honestly I kinda enjoy Hopes just leaning hard into them being everywhere and in so great numbers that they legitimately threaten professional armies on campaign.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think it might be an issue of lost in translation. You read history in the western context and “bandit” basically means small bands of highwaymen who rob travelers. You read East Asian history and “bandit” can refer to huge armies led by warlords when central authority breaks down who do things like raze cities. So while Fodlan may be medieval Europe it’s written by a group of Japanese guys who release a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game every year.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Depending on the translation the story of the The Three Kingdoms era of Japan China begins with a group called either 'The Yellow Turban Rebels' or 'The Yellow Turban Bandits'.
I always thought that calling them 'bandits' was just a way to downplay their legitimacy and dismiss the threat they represented.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 30, 2022

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Romance of Three Kingdoms is China, not Japan, fyi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

Bandits have been a meme in Fire Emblem for a while now and honestly I kinda enjoy Hopes just leaning hard into them being everywhere and in so great numbers that they legitimately threaten professional armies on campaign.

Fodland definitely seems like the Fire Emblem setting with the largest bandit problem. In most Fire Emblems, they're an opportunistic issue. There's a war so armies are weak and people, out of desperation or ambition, attack villages and cities, or there's an enemy nation using bandits as deniable assets to weaken the protagonist country before an attack. Generally, bandits were a minor problem in the past and the land was largely peaceful.

Fodland, by contrast, has plentiful wars even in "peacetime", with bandit companies large enough to attack the major military powers of the time as a common sight and hostile relations with all their neighbors as a default.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Doing the CB route, and oh boy Edelgard got mad at the Alliance for resisting at all again. "So many lives could've been saved if Claude didn't waste our time with his futile scheme" edelgard i really do not know how to impress upon you that you are the aggressor here, you absolute dick. you even acknowledge this everywhere else. is there something about the alliance that just makes you twisted?

Anyway it successfully captures the ol' CF mood of making me feel like an rear end in a top hat the entire time. At least I get to hang out with the Eagles some more though.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fodland definitely seems like the Fire Emblem setting with the largest bandit problem. In most Fire Emblems, they're an opportunistic issue. There's a war so armies are weak and people, out of desperation or ambition, attack villages and cities, or there's an enemy nation using bandits as deniable assets to weaken the protagonist country before an attack. Generally, bandits were a minor problem in the past and the land was largely peaceful.

Fodland, by contrast, has plentiful wars even in "peacetime", with bandit companies large enough to attack the major military powers of the time as a common sight and hostile relations with all their neighbors as a default.

Even Houses had an unending supply of bandits to slaughter

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 29, 2022

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pureauthor posted:

Romance of Three Kingdoms is China, not Japan, fyi.

I know. The initial conversation IRT the meaning of 'Bandit' mentioned 'East Asian' rather than 'Japan' specifically.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you did say "three kingdoms era of japan" though lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Yinlock posted:

Doing the CB route, and oh boy Edelgard got mad at the Alliance for resisting at all again. "So many lives could've been saved if Claude didn't waste our time with his futile scheme" edelgard i really do not know how to impress upon you that you are the aggressor here, you absolute dick. you even acknowledge this everywhere else. is there something about the alliance that just makes you twisted?

Anyway it successfully captures the ol' CF mood of making me feel like an rear end in a top hat the entire time. At least I get to hang out with the Eagles some more though.

Even Houses had an unending supply of bandits to slaughter

IIRC, Edelgard actually doesn’t attack the Alliance in SB. She seeks permission from Acheron and Gloucester to traverse their lands, and they grant it. Gloucester, at Claude’s prompting, double-crosses Edelgard midway through the campaign in Faerghus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That is also how I remember it happening. The Empire was still neutral with the Alliance at that point, and simply wanted to move her armies through their territory.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Please stop skipping dialogue so you can call red lady a villainous bitch

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

galagazombie posted:

I think it might be an issue of lost in translation. You read history in the western context and “bandit” basically means small bands of highwaymen who rob travelers. You read East Asian history and “bandit” can refer to huge armies led by warlords when central authority breaks down who do things like raze cities. So while Fodlan may be medieval Europe it’s written by a group of Japanese guys who release a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game every year.

It’s honestly kinda baffling how many bandits there even are in peace time. During the war portions you could handwave it away as “bandits = deserters or unpaid mercenary companies” but yeah

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
What the hell else are you going to fight as side mission fodder in a musou game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How many bandits are actually free-roaming warlord bands, outside of the faceless hordes in Three Hopes? They tend to be secretly bankrolled by a local villain. Kostas was explicitly working for the Flame Emperor, and I think that goes for most bandits across the series other than the Pretty Face gang and maybe the tutorial enemy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How many bandits are actually free-roaming warlord bands, outside of the faceless hordes in Three Hopes? They tend to be secretly bankrolled by a local villain. Kostas was explicitly working for the Flame Emperor, and I think that goes for most bandits across the series other than the Pretty Face gang and maybe the tutorial enemy.

It’s a little difficult to tell since before Houses the series was never really consistent on whether units as shown on the map were just the character or the character and the squad/company/battalion they lead. Like when you’re fighting five bandits in an early chapter is that literally five guys or does each symbolize a group.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Do good guy (or at least protagonist aligned) bandits count? Because Dagdar has a whole rear end organization under him.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I think about halfway through Chapter 9 or 10 I came to the unfortunate realisation that I'm not having fun with this game. The Musou gameplay was fun for a bit but now it just feels like a chore I have to get through to see more of the game's story, and even that lost me around Chapter 9 as well. I might power through the rest of the GW route just to see it through to the end, but I don't think I'll be doing the other routes any time soon. I can't say the game is bad, I just don't like the genre.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm almost done with Deer path, should I go on to Eagles or Lions next

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lions is most different but it takes a drastic nosedive in quality in the back half, even more so than how the game just ends for Eagles and Deer.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Do AG next so you don't end on that note.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do Lions now if you're sure you're going to play all three routes, but note that the Lions route gets real bad at the end, so if you maybe are feeling a bit tired with the game I'd recommend just skipping AG and only doing Eagles. Heck, maybe just do two Eagles; they're the route with major changes depending on how you deal with Byleth.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Amppelix posted:

you did say "three kingdoms era of japan" though lol

Ok that was a typo. My apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Clawtopsy posted:

Do AG next so you don't end on that note.

This in my opinion.

I have finished my AG and GW runs and I'm slightly burned out. Part of me really wants to get those black eagles supports, but part of me wants to put the game aside until we hear DLC news.