Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Obviously they're working on a successor now. Surely we all understand that r&d can take a very very long time and the hardware people are never not working on the next thing, or often even on multiple things at once. Look at that ugly bastard the virtual boy, I sure do every time I go visit my parents because my brother refuses to throw it away in the trash where it belonged even during launch month

Whether they have anything at this time they want to announce to the public or not is a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

EvilElmo posted:

I am getting a free switch soon through a credit card promo.

What are the must play games? I'm not a huge console gamer. I'll probably get Zelda, already played/finished mario odyssey on a holiday with friends.

Smash is great if you are into casual fighting games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

What are the must play games? I'm not a huge console gamer. I'll probably get Zelda, already played/finished mario odyssey on a holiday with friends.

What are your favorite genres?

The Switch is great for classic JRPGs, though for modern options you only got Xenoblade, not that that's a bad option. I'm a biased idiot so:

hatty posted:

There are plenty of modern JRPGS on the switch outside of Xenoblade like SMTV, DQXI, and TWEWY Neo. One could say there are too many in fact
It's a great strategy game system with Into the Breach and Triangle Strategy being your go-tos.
It's an indie game champion with hits like Stardew Valley, Return of the Obra Dinn, Undertale, and everything in between (not everything).
It's got amazing exclusives like Splatoon, Pikmin, Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and Kirby.
And if you want to shell out for a yearly subscription you'll get access to all the best Nintendo NES games (cool I guess), SNES games (YES), and N64 games (Pretty cool and still growing).

But really, what are your favorite genres?

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 11, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There are plenty of modern JRPGS on the switch outside of Xenoblade like SMTV, DQXI, and TWEWY Neo. One could say there are too many in fact

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

xbc3 is so goddamn good.

I just got to Colony 30 and this absolutely tracks. I am like 10 hours in. Probably have 100 hours left at the rate I am going. Gotta fill out that map!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

hatty posted:

haha whoops, yeah I'll fix that cause I forgot all of those from not playing them.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

EvilElmo posted:

Crimzon Clover: World EXplosion

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

it's time to get swole. buy ring fit adventure

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My opinion on Switch Pro is that it's not real but I want it because my Switch still slightly overheats ever since it fell and the fan moved out of place (I think) but I don't wanna send it for repairs in case they switch my moddable one with a newer one.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, the switch seems to excel in certain areas. Do you like shoot em ups? They all seem to be on this thing. The newest kirby is great. Uh, Korg seems to make soft synths exclusively for Nintendo hardware, so if you maybe want to produce music, there's the Korg gadget.
I also hear good things about animal crossing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Switch Up.

Switch On

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Super Switch Nintendo Entertainment System, or SSNES (Ess-Snes is also fine).

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So I went with Zelda x2 and Ring Fit.

I'll get Kirby and probably a pokemans game next. But IDK, not a huge fan of turn based combat so might skip the pokemans. Pikimin also on the cards.

I'll see how it goes. Thanks for suggestions! I'm gonna check reviews for the ones mentioned (and any others that get mentioned).

Oh and for games, I feel RPGs where I can just stop mid game and go do other poo poo are what suit me the most these days. Really don't like roguelikes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

I'll get Kirby and probably a pokemans game next. But IDK, not a huge fan of turn based combat so might skip the pokemans. Pikimin also on the cards.

I'll see how it goes. Thanks for suggestions! I'm gonna check reviews for the ones mentioned (and any others that get mentioned).

Oh and for games, I feel RPGs where I can just stop mid game and go do other poo poo are what suit me the most these days. Really don't like roguelikes.

Have a look on the eshop as well for any indie games you haven't played/fancy playing handheld. I've already double dipped on Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, Binding of Isaac, Hades, Spelunky and plenty of others.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t see Super Mario 3D World mentioned, that’s a good one

Tetris Effect if you didn’t already play it on ps4 is a great dopamine high

Same with Hyper Light Drifter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s been enough years that instead of a Switch Pro Nintendo could just announce Switch 2 soon

If they’re smart they’ll make it just a beefed up Switch and do backwards compatibility

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Been replaying Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the Switch, and it works well! Only technical nitpick are the loading times, but even then they're usually around 30-60 seconds and don't pop up too often.

Also it's only $25 for the next several days and is a solid RPG in its own right.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
omori is also a dope RPG that's equal parts funny, weird, fantastical, and depressing and horrifying. i just finished it a week ago or so and it's been rolling around in my mind a lot. great port. not for the faint of heart or the easily rattled.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gris is a really beautiful platformer that's a quick few hours of flow state relaxation. Not a hard game but a good game. Frequently on sale.

Grindstone is from Apple Arcade and is a great and cute little puzzle game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KingSlime posted:

Obviously they're working on a successor now. Surely we all understand that r&d can take a very very long time and the hardware people are never not working on the next thing, or often even on multiple things at once. Look at that ugly bastard the virtual boy, I sure do every time I go visit my parents because my brother refuses to throw it away in the trash where it belonged even during launch month

Whether they have anything at this time they want to announce to the public or not is a different story
It's also incredibly stupid from a business standpoint to be employing hardware R&D people and paying them to sit on their thumbs.

Personally I'll worry about the next Nintendo when the next Nintendo is announced. It's a thing for Future Commander Keene, not Present Commander Keene. Until then, I will continue playing games on my Nintendo Switch.

EvilElmo posted:

Get the Trials of Mana remake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so while I likely could have just cleaned the drat system more, I'm amazed at just how silent my new OLED is when playing hours of Doom 2016 last night. I can barely hear it.

I think I'm just going to fully open up my old one, really REALLY clean it all out, and then sell it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

You got Skyward Sword? It's fun, and then again not great great. If you like Zelda you can get the NES/SNES with a simple online subscription as well as the N64 ones with a the expanded one.

Phoneotopia, which I haven't played, but Mega64 talks about with some regularity, seems to be a Zelda II clone.

Hyper Light Drifter is a fantastic stylish Zelda-like as well.

When you say "do other poo poo" do you mean in-game or just drop it altogether before coming back? If it's the former FFX in particular, but all of them have a lot of little sidequests (though its linearity means it'll take you a bit before you can get to them) as well as Xenoblades. If it's the latter DQXI is a chill bedtime story with a plot synopsis if you ever have to stop.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wondering if I could get a bit of help here, chaps.

I sent my Pro controller in because the left stick was drifting, as is the custom.

I just got an email back:

"Fault Details: Left Stick Problem
Diagnosis: Faulty Left Stick - Out Of Warranty
Spare Parts: Product is replaced £42.73

Total: £51.28"

Because the stick is drifting, they want me to buy a whole new one! And it's £2 cheaper on Amazon!

Please tell me I can argue this because what the hell, I was expecting them to fix it for free!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does the original switch even have a fan? If it does I don’t think I’ve ever heard mine kick on

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Does the original switch even have a fan?

a loud one!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I must be playing poo poo games cause I’ve never heard mine

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The weird thing is it used to make some weird noises when starting a game after the fall, but nowadays it never makes that noise. Maybe because I use it less and from staying vertical on the dock?

Steve Yun posted:

I must be playing poo poo games cause I’ve never heard mine

Maybe it's a newer one? Mine is the Mario Oddesy special edition old.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the revision, I should say

When I said original I meant not-OLED

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think the revision's thermal and battery improvements were straight carried over to OLED since they made it good. If i am wrong send me a PM called "whooping your rear end" and put in it the action where you whoop my rear end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, I imagine Nintendo least of all knows when a Switch successor is coming out and what it's going to look like until they're drat good and ready to. And especially given how much covid has messed everything up for multiple years at this point. They have incentive to wait until some promising hardware is available that they can work with.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cavauro posted:

i think the revision's thermal and battery improvements were straight carried over to OLED since they made it good. If i am wrong send me a PM called "whooping your rear end" and put in it the action where you whoop my rear end

Those improvements were thanks to a new version of the Tegra board used in the Switch, weren't they? They probably couldn't get the older model anymore even if they wanted to.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 11, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

Would one say there are too many stars in the sky, or too many flowers in a beautiful field?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-VhSinN_NI There's a new nintendo game out this year, and some parents are not happy.

This owns, it's such a fun snapshot of probably the first time the mainstream encountered a new gaming hardware generation. I never even really thought about that but I bet there were millions of parents out there going "what?? you have to buy a different Nintendo to play the new Nintendo game? Why won't it work on the Nintendo we already have?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"You have enough Nitando tapes already; why do you need more?!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This Frontline report from 1991 is great, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd56K7rp7A

It's really funny because yeah, Nintendo was doing some real shady poo poo, but the guy running American Video Entertainment complaining about it? If you look at the games he's trying to sell, they're some unlicensed games for NES with like Atari 2600-style gameplay that he's trying to sell in a world where Super Mario World already exists and Link to the Past is about to come out. No wonder nobody wants to carry them.

Other funny bits:
- The guy going "imagine if Sony made their movies compatible only with Sony tape players" and basically predicting Blu-Ray
- The clips of Nintendo Tip Line workers at the end talking about fighting Astos and spearing dudes at their customer service jobs

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Steve Yun posted:

Does the original switch even have a fan? If it does I don’t think I’ve ever heard mine kick on

Not just one - many millions. Now, the Wii U, though...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Wondering if I could get a bit of help here, chaps.

I sent my Pro controller in because the left stick was drifting, as is the custom.

I just got an email back:

"Fault Details: Left Stick Problem
Diagnosis: Faulty Left Stick - Out Of Warranty
Spare Parts: Product is replaced £42.73

Total: £51.28"

Because the stick is drifting, they want me to buy a whole new one! And it's £2 cheaper on Amazon!

Please tell me I can argue this because what the hell, I was expecting them to fix it for free!

I don't know about arguing it with Nintendo, but a £5 electrical cleaning fluid, and a £10 joycon replacement kit have been extremely effective for me to fix drift problems. If they won't replace, and you can get them to sent it back, those are good options to avoid doing a full replacement.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

I don't know about arguing it with Nintendo, but a £5 electrical cleaning fluid, and a £10 joycon replacement kit have been extremely effective for me to fix drift problems. If they won't replace, and you can get them to sent it back, those are good options to avoid doing a full replacement.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to!

I did replace my joycon sticks last year and they started drifting after a goddamn month.

I found a video on YouTube so I'll just follow that, give it a clean, and hope that fixes it.

Of course, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO and the loving thing should JUST WORK

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If you want an RPG to just mess around in you want the Witcher 3 for Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqVCYDD3sA

Holy poo poo, it's like Kirbymari Damacy.