Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kai Tave posted:

I think of all the aspiring Kickstarter replacements, Backerkit is maybe the one I would say is in the best position to actually take a successful stab at it simply because a lot of people who have used Kickstarter also use and are familiar with Backerkit. That's not the case with the others like Gamefound etc. Now that's not to say it will succeed, and there are all sorts of other issues beyond just being a usable platform like discovery and visibility (areas at which Kickstarter continues to remain the top choice, similar to how DTRPG's discoverability is better than itch.io's), but Backerkit at least has something like a leg up in terms of recognition.

After doing my first KS, I can readily say that Backerkit does everything a lot better than KS and I'd dump KS immediately if it wasn't for KS foot traffic making up a lot of the backers I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Kai Tave posted:

I think of all the aspiring Kickstarter replacements, Backerkit is maybe the one I would say is in the best position to actually take a successful stab at it simply because a lot of people who have used Kickstarter also use and are familiar with Backerkit. That's not the case with the others like Gamefound etc. Now that's not to say it will succeed, and there are all sorts of other issues beyond just being a usable platform like discovery and visibility (areas at which Kickstarter continues to remain the top choice, similar to how DTRPG's discoverability is better than itch.io's), but Backerkit at least has something like a leg up in terms of recognition.

While I have only backed one project through Gamefound, there's at least half a dozen that I backed on Kickstarter which used Gamefound as the pledge manager.

It has actually been awhile since I used a different pledge manager, so there is definitely a user base there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eastmabl posted:

A professional acquaintance was assaulted at Gen Con, which is obviously unfuckingcool.

https://twitter.com/little_red_dot/status/1557466678161727489?t=J1fdEMdcLG-DzsfohYZkMg&s=19

Daisy has burnt down her Twitter, a preview of an apology shows up when you Google her.

Gencon assigns roommates? WTF?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Huh, so its like nintendo rumor channels. "New Switch 2 coming this year we swear guys!"

Have they ever said a true leak was fake because their "sources" said no? That happened with nintendo """insiders""" back in 2017, where a guy was like "Im setting up booths for nintendos big announcement thing, there's a game where people have springs for arms" and every single insider alive screeched that this was the fakest, least real leak ever why would that ever happen

It's not the first time a Nintendo leak has been dismissed as fake because it was too silly. No one believed Duck Hunt was gonna be in Smash.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

Daisy has burnt down her Twitter, a preview of an apology shows up when you Google her.

If you’re working for them directly and it’s comped, I imagine so - as is the case here, the Gencon Stream Team is part of Gencon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

If you work on behalf of the convention or a company with a presence at the convention, part of your compensation can be "provided a place to stay instead of personally shelling out $1k+ with maybe a reimbursement later." Typically this would involve some thought as to assignments, which likely went into her staying with what she thought was a friend, but in any case you're getting whatever space they can find that was business block booked almost a year ago for the purposes of cramming in professional guests.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
How many of these lovely convention stories could be avoided if people who are on - effectively - work trips didn't get blackout drunk a bunch.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Taking a glance around Twitter, Dot's not the only one Daisy accosted during this GenCon either. Jeezus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dwarf74 posted:

How many of these lovely convention stories could be avoided if people who are on - effectively - work trips didn't get blackout drunk a bunch.

You say that like it prevents people on work trips from doing the same.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Afterparty drinking is part of broader "con culture" and I do think it kind of sucks no matter if it's a comic con, video game con, or Gencon. Not necessarily the drinking on its own, but the fact that a lot of these parties are seen as networking zones where young people trying to break into the industry have to behave nicely in front of their drunk seniors. Plus providing a venue and encouraging binge drinking and all that poo poo. Nobody should have to go in expecting to be on guard all the time at a nerd meetup, but it definitely feels like an artifact of an older era that's been left to roll forward for all the wrong reasons.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Daisy was sexually harassing the person and demanding attention and sex before they even met in person, as per the victim's own story.

Alcohol had nothing to do with it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah there are two separate problems there.

Over abundance of Alcohol at con and work events is a massive problem that often encourages and leads to bad situations.

Bad people then take advantage of those bad situations.

But also

Daisy obviously crossed numerous lines before booze was involved, my guess is she probably wouldn't have like gone directly to sexual assault if she wasn't hammered but yeah Booze is just an amplifying agent in this case for an already generally dangerous person.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

taichara posted:

Taking a glance around Twitter, Dot's not the only one Daisy accosted during this GenCon either. Jeezus.

I thought this might be an isolated thing, given that 1) there's no apparent power imbalance and 2) Daisy was pursuing the OP before the event. It reads like a sad, one off burning of a friendship.

That doesn't make it ok, but it's also maybe doesn't merit worldwide blast on Twitter.

But as part of a predatory pattern? Yeah gently caress that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alcohol was the excuse, they knew how they get while drunk and did it intentionally hoping that the other person would just give in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would make the argument that someone sexually accosting you while asleep at a work event even if they aren't doing it to others is probably fair to send up flares.

Just even as a heads up. For that person to get better control of themselves and to hopefully keep them from doing it again. Via social pressure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GreenMetalSun posted:

Daisy was sexually harassing the person and demanding attention and sex before they even met in person, as per the victim's own story.

Alcohol had nothing to do with it.
While I absolutely agree there were problems without the drunkenness, I absolutely disagree that it had nothing to do with the incidents we're seeing now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If someone's getting hammered drunk day after day and doing this to a coworker, it's probably not the only line they're crossing, sexual or otherwise.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Whole account is deleted/deactivated now: https://twitter.com/AWiseArtist

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

And here I thought the biggest bullshit out of GenCon this year might be COVID.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I find it surprising that there is no mention of police involvement. This is stalking, sexual harassment and probably assault.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ugleb posted:

I find it surprising that there is no mention of police involvement. This is stalking, sexual harassment and probably assault.

I have terrible news about the police and the frequency of them responding well or even at all to crimes like that.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have terrible news about the police and the frequency of them responding well or even at all to crimes like that.

idk I could see them having a good time with a charge against a gay woman

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

admanb posted:

idk I could see them having a good time with a charge against a gay woman

O they could, but notice we're not assuming it's the cops thinking they have a duty to the public good, rather it's whether they're going with "hey we can oppress [slur]" or "O it's just [slurs] and that's their problem".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Netflix summary is "Things get uncomfortable when friends share a hotel room. Alcohol, nudity, adult situations."

It's gross, predatory, and unprofessional behavior - but all that even the most helpful cop on television could do would be take a statement.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Add to that the likelihood that the crime, victim, and perpetrator could be in three different states now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Alcohol was the excuse, they knew how they get while drunk and did it intentionally hoping that the other person would just give in.

Alcohol is never the base root of these behaviours. Might amplify it but it's never just outta nowhere.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ugleb posted:

"She made inappropriate remarks, refused to get out of bed and fell asleep on top of me, and would not accept me politely turning her down dozens of times." sounds exactly like the sort of thing Indiana cops would say is "a civil matter" if you even wanted to go to them about this. She should absolutely be banned from Gencon and possibly other conventions for this conduct though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ugleb posted:

There are people who do some bad poo poo that I would not sic the cops on unless like, hard to word it without sounding like I'm minimizing the terrible poo poo that did occur, like outright aggressive and violent situation occurred, where someone's life was legitimately in danger.

This was bad, and I wouldn't blame them or think less of them for calling the cops if they chose to, but I know at least personally, the last thing I ever choose to do is call the police on someone. If it's something I'm capable of dealing with on my own or with people around me.

gently caress the Police. Never bring them into a situation unless there is no other option imo.

For the most part they are worthless, in the worst cases they do something far far worse than the offense that was committed.

this person should be banned from Gencon and become persona non-grata, but I don't need them sent through our lovely legal system and have the backdoor chance of like something extremely bad happening.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
It's also worth noting that it seems like the victims never wanted this to go public and wanted it to be handled discretely.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

Never bring police into a situation unless there is no other option imo.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MadScientistWorking posted:

It's also worth noting that it seems like the victims never wanted this to go public and wanted it to be handled discretely.

I'm only following this via this thread, but how are you reading that? It sounds like the victim went to GenCon, then went public. Did GenCon not do enough / fast enough, forcing the victim to go public? Because tweeting it seems the least discreet outcome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dot said in her statement that she reported it to GenCon through official channels before going public.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I read that. I was just curious what made homullus think they never wanted this to go public? Other than as a subset of "never wanted this to happen".

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm only following this via this thread, but how are you reading that? It sounds like the victim went to GenCon, then went public. Did GenCon not do enough / fast enough, forcing the victim to go public? Because tweeting it seems the least discreet outcome.

quote:

Of course, some of this is Daisy's own fault for posting publicly about it in a pre-emptive defense, we literally had no intention of even naming her. We planned to fill out an incident report with the con and with Kobold Press and then letting this be handled by professionals so that we could focus on each other. But it's out, it's circulating, and my friends and I are having more panic attacks as a result. So, I wanted to be clear and transparent.,
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss3rev
Because as stated there was more than one victim and account of what happened. This one sounds like they got strongarmed into responding.

Also, I'm not sure how admitting to sexually harassing people was going to get ahead of the situation...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dexo posted:

gently caress the Police. Never bring them into a situation unless there is no other option imo.

For the most part they are worthless, in the worst cases they do something far far worse than the offense that was committed.

this person should be banned from Gencon and become persona non-grata, but I don't need them sent through our lovely legal system and have the backdoor chance of like something extremely bad happening.
I 100% agree about how lovely cops are. However, the beautiful part of our system and tendency to victim blame is not filing police reports can be used against them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Afterparty drinking is part of broader "con culture" and I do think it kind of sucks no matter if it's a comic con, video game con, or Gencon. Not necessarily the drinking on its own, but the fact that a lot of these parties are seen as networking zones where young people trying to break into the industry have to behave nicely in front of their drunk seniors. Plus providing a venue and encouraging binge drinking and all that poo poo. Nobody should have to go in expecting to be on guard all the time at a nerd meetup, but it definitely feels like an artifact of an older era that's been left to roll forward for all the wrong reasons.

Getting hosed up and loving is so heavily integrated into con culture that it will be impossible to remove unless you completely evacuate the community in question and repopulate it with an entirely different bunch. Doesn't matter what the topic is: tabletop games, comic books, information security, loving analytical chemistry. Nerds are going to get blackout drunk and sexually assault people at these things forever, and you basically have to be on alert the whole time. More critically, you have to be fearless in defending yourself, up to the risk of getting yourself excommunicated when you (for example) kick somebody's rear end when they wouldn't stop grabbing yours and your dick after you'd asked them to stop nicely five or six times. And as distasteful as I found it as a straight white guy it's a million times worse for women and minorities because the whole room turns against them the instant they raise a hand against their attackers.

Edit: just to be clear it didn't happen to me but I watched the whole thing go down, from the first rear end grab to the last punch.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 12, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

I 100% agree about how lovely cops are. However, the beautiful part of our system and tendency to victim blame is not filing police reports can be used against them.

You can file a report without having to call in the cops

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can file a report without having to call in the cops

What's your trick for filing a police report without to the police being contacted? Keep in mind jurisdiction is gonna matter.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Midjack posted:

Getting hosed up and loving is so heavily integrated into con culture that it will be impossible to remove unless you completely evacuate the community in question and repopulate it with an entirely different bunch.

Not a bad idea TBH, given the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

What's your trick for filing a police report without to the police being contacted? Keep in mind jurisdiction is gonna matter.

In my experience property crime usually works out that way.