Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The capitalism part is the important bit though. Fast food doesn't exist without it. It's inherently exploitative.

Are you saying fast food in and of itself is exploitative, or the logistics/employment system around it is exploitative? Because if you're arguing it's the latter, the fast food system isn't any worse than any restaurant system in the US.

Quick service food for working people who are poor on time has existed for, quite literally, thousands of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

People attack fast food specifically as unhealthy, exploitative, etc because it's poor people food and it's easy to rally around classism and contempt for the poor. It's like discussing how horrible and destructive Walmart is, when big box retail in general destroys traditional patterns of commerce and relies on unsustainable global supply chains that weren't possible until fifty or so years ago.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The capitalism part is the important bit though. Fast food doesn't exist without it. It's inherently exploitative.

i think you're taking this a little too far. fast food isn't the root cause under capitalism of food deserts and lovely transportation infrastructure etc that makes it the only affordable option for a lot of people

while fast food isn't nutritionally great on average, and not saying you specifically are doing this, a lot of the times when people just say "fast food is terrible" what they're actually implying is that it's low class food and that's a whole thing too

e: yeah what the person above said

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can’t honestly think of anyone that actually likes driving. Like even the biggest car weirdos I know get frustrated constantly while driving from traffic or bad drivers or a myriad of other things. Using a subway or a bus is just so much more easier but all these people will freak out about THE FREEDOM OF DRIVING yet if you ask them if they wanna drive anywhere they have to sit there and weigh if the frustration of driving is worth going to the destination

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It does make me laugh when people are like "ew, fast food!" and then they go to a street food festival and buy what's basically a big mac for seventeen dollars. Obviously there are differences there, and people in North America have a very weird relationship with food (which ties in to car-centric communities as well as pervasive advertising and suburban isolation), but it's just a hamburger.

Consumerism, on the other hand, is a loving nightmare.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had to put my kid into his carseat, and then take him out of it, to transport him to daycare. it was very easy. he only weighs 32 pounds, its not hard.

Apr 7, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can’t honestly think of anyone that actually likes driving. Like even the biggest car weirdos I know get frustrated constantly while driving from traffic or bad drivers or a myriad of other things. Using a subway or a bus is just so much more easier but all these people will freak out about THE FREEDOM OF DRIVING yet if you ask them if they wanna drive anywhere they have to sit there and weigh if the frustration of driving is worth going to the destination

The building that I work in (during non-plague times) has a light rail station in the basement and a daycare in the basement. The number of coworkers who have told me that they drive to work from a rail-accessible area, pay $400+ a month for a parking lease, and take their kid to the daycare in the building because they don't want to take their kid on the T is insane.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Are you saying fast food in and of itself is exploitative, or the logistics/employment system around it is exploitative? Because if you're arguing it's the latter, the fast food system isn't any worse than any restaurant system in the US.

Quick service food for working people who are poor on time has existed for, quite literally, thousands of years.

The latter, mostly. I'm not defending the rest of food service in the US either, but saying that fast food is especially exploitative of workers and customers. I think some of you might be projecting some other bad arguments onto me here, because I'm not attacking fast food customers or unhealthy food generally, but how these companies in particular manipulate people and the market.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

i don't think anyone actually really fundamentally believes they like driving, it's something you convince yourself about when you have to do it anyways. Gotta drive an hour to work in a suburban hell sprawl with zero public transit? Yeah just keep telling yourself it's a relaxing time for podcasts and occasionally screaming WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S NOT A LANE BRO and so on, normal stuff

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It does make me laugh when people are like "ew, fast food!" and then they go to a street food festival and buy what's basically a big mac for seventeen dollars. Obviously there are differences there, and people in North America have a very weird relationship with food (which ties in to car-centric communities as well as pervasive advertising and suburban isolation), but it's just a hamburger.

Consumerism, on the other hand, is a loving nightmare.

It's like the difference between a cigarette and Big Tobacco. Nothing is wrong with the former, but I hope it's clear why the latter is an exploitative industry and can be considered bad.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The latter, mostly. I'm not defending the rest of food service in the US either, but saying that fast food is especially exploitative of workers and customers. I think some of you might be projecting some other bad arguments onto me here, because I'm not attacking fast food customers or unhealthy food generally, but how these companies in particular manipulate people and the market.

Fast food is no more exploitative than any other food service in America.

One of the biggest health issues in the US today is that food producers don't make more money unless people eat more food, even though people only need so much food, so the focus has been on creating larger portion sizes of highly palatable food that people will overconsume. Every corner of the American food industry is culpable in that matter and McDonald's is no worse than Mondalez or Tyson.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
white collar people like driving because it's the one place in their life they can scream at the top of their lungs and (usually) no one calls the cops

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fast food is no more exploitative than any other food service in America.

One of the biggest health issues in the US today is that food producers don't make more money unless people eat more food, even though people only need so much food, so the focus has been on creating larger portion sizes of highly palatable food that people will overconsume. Every corner of the American food industry is culpable in that matter and McDonald's is no worse than Mondalez or Tyson.

Practically every restaurant relies on low wages and other worker exploitation, wasteful products (packaging, large servings that will be discarded, etc.), plus unethically sourced food/ingredients, but fast food has an advertising and lobbying side that both manipulates customers at a large scale and shapes US policy. In that sense I totally agree that they're on par with Mondalez and Tyson, but those are on the production side, whereas fast food is customer facing.

My original point though was that I see no legitimate defense of fast food, and all we're disagreeing about is whether you can defend other food industries as well.

e: or rather how bad the rest of the industry is. I don't see any issue with saying that the advertising wing of fast food is uniquely bad even in US food service.

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Aug 11, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My original point though was that I see no legitimate defense of fast food,

Time-poor working people need cheap easy-to-eat food on the go and that’s all the defense the concept of fast food needs. It’s existed in one form or another since Greek times.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My original point though was that I see no legitimate defense of fast food, and all we're disagreeing about is whether you can defend other food industries as well.
You said that fast food was "inherently exploitative" rather than just problematic in its current form. I don't think anyone would say that all restaurants should be eliminated, so the assertion that fast food is no worse than the rest of the food industry is not simply "disagreeing about whether you can defend other food industries as well." It is an assertion that fast food merely has issues and is not inherently evil, because there's not even any real definition of "fast food" except "food from restaurants that poor people eat at".

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can't think of a single legitimate defense of fast food, much less drive-throughs

sometimes i get hungry on my walk home and want a tamale or hotdog

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is street food "fast food" or does it get an exemption because it's something cool that rich people also eat now?

Street food is pretty awesome when you're walking around rather than driving a car.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a centralized kitchen/cafeteria that can cook food in large batches for people in the surrounding area instead of each individual person preparing a single meal for themselves is a good idea, what we've done to that idea via capitalism and cars is not good

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

People attack fast food specifically as unhealthy, exploitative, etc because it's poor people food and it's easy to rally around classism and contempt for the poor. It's like discussing how horrible and destructive Walmart is, when big box retail in general destroys traditional patterns of commerce and relies on unsustainable global supply chains that weren't possible until fifty or so years ago.

I don't shop at Walmart, I'm a Target shopper :smug:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've never seen anyone walking or biking on decent bike/ped infrastructure ever look as unhappy or mad as a driver doing routine rear end poo poo lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to walk to a restaurant for lunch today

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

im going to walk to a restaurant for lunch today

yes hahaha, yes!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
taco truck vs roach coach

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

speng31b posted:

i don't think anyone actually really fundamentally believes they like driving, it's something you convince yourself about when you have to do it anyways. Gotta drive an hour to work in a suburban hell sprawl with zero public transit? Yeah just keep telling yourself it's a relaxing time for podcasts and occasionally screaming WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S NOT A LANE BRO and so on, normal stuff

Maybe they like the yelling

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Time-poor working people need cheap easy-to-eat food on the go and that’s all the defense the concept of fast food needs. It’s existed in one form or another since Greek times.

I'm specifically referring to "fast food" as a distinct entity here in the context of the modern US that arose in the post-war era and interstate highway boom, and more specifically the companies that operate large chains. I don't mean the little biscuit shop on the corner that only sells biscuits and coffee, the taco shop in the gas station, or the hot dog cart guy on the sidewalk. I sympathize with poor people eating at McDonalds the same way I sympathize with poor people who have to drive a car. No blame on the individual, but the industry itself is exploitative and working against our best interests.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What happens if a car hits it?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

genericnick posted:

What happens if a car hits it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Then it becomes wheelchair accessible. What don't you car haters get?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think he means like relatively. Someone going 90 when traffic is 75 doesn't seem near as much as someone going 60 in a 25

someone weaving through traffic to pass you at 15-20 over the limit on a highway feels really loving fast. "holy poo poo they came out of nowhere how fast are they going?!?" You get a glimpse of them in your side mirror before they're in front of you swerving 3 lanes to keep going

Mercedes should be held liable for the murder of 5 people. There's absolutely no reason for a vehicle to exceed 75 mph unless it's specifically on a closed track where a licensed technician removes the governor. then you get to do a couple laps before your car is put into a shredder because anyone willing to drive that fast for any reason has no business operating a multi-ton murder machine

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

lobster shirt posted:

some people like to suck, gently caress, and cum in their cars. and i think tahts bad.

some mentally broken people like to drive in their cars so on the balance i'll take the sex freaks thanks.

people losing their mind about street parking for good things like bike lanes cracks me up because they don't say a single word about genius decisions like putting all the mailboxes on one side of the street and all the fire hydrants on the other so nobody really has legal parking anywhere without giving up 1/4 of their living space for car.

i wish i was living in a civilized country

i wholeheartedly approve of this parking impact analysis method

Harik has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Aug 12, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harik posted:

Mercedes should be held liable for the murder of 5 people. There's absolutely no reason for a vehicle to exceed 75 mph unless it's specifically on a closed track where a licensed technician removes the governor. then you get to do a couple laps before your car is put into a shredder because anyone willing to drive that fast for any reason has no business operating a multi-ton murder machine

when the government bans cars you get to choose between an $8k stimulus payment and an hour on a closed track with your choice of vehicle and no speed limits. if you survive you then watch as the vehicle you chose is fed into a compactor and turned into a tiny cube since it is, as you've undoubtedly just demonstrated, a public safety hazard

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
the problem is the poors can afford everyone has their own car, we just need AUTOMATED individualized transportation!

https://twitter.com/moarbugs/status/1557930307990478848

... oh.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
please, make sure your app is functional before you potentially lock thousands of passengers in zipcars on a hot day.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

leftist heap posted:

I've never seen anyone walking or biking on decent bike/ped infrastructure ever look as unhappy or mad as a driver doing routine rear end poo poo lol.

I been pretty mad at people going slow at a bottleneck in the subway when a train is there and about to leave.

But, crucially, I still would not have blasted my airhorn (that I carry w/ me everywhere) at the ppl in front of me, then ran in front of them as fast as I could and suddenly stopped to see if they walk into me, then pulled out my gun and shot them. I wonder why.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

please, make sure your app is functional before you potentially lock thousands of passengers in zipcars on a hot day.

i don't think zipcar's app being down locks people inside cars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

speng31b posted:

i don't think zipcar's app being down locks people inside cars

thank you for making my joke more accurate, it's much funnier now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Harik posted:

the problem is the poors can afford everyone has their own car, we just need AUTOMATED individualized transportation!

https://twitter.com/moarbugs/status/1557930307990478848

... oh.

another reason why i have a car, you can't depend on this carshare poo poo at all

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

thank you for making my joke more accurate, it's much funnier now

sorry, i didn't get the joke. it probably doesn't help that i spent a lot of time working on a service that functions similarly to Zipcar and I've seen support issues claiming that the app made people's cars do all kinds of impossible poo poo, mostly from users who were super high. I've got some fun stories

Speaking of which, if any part of zipcar's cloud service being down puts the app in a state where lock/unlock isn't possible then lol

speng31b has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Aug 12, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

actionjackson posted:

another reason why i have a car, you can't depend on this carshare poo poo at all

once the apple carkey stuff and the digital key standard (https://carconnectivity.org/digital-key/) is more widely available and tied into the car share services I'd trust it a little more, but as of today having worked on a car share service and app and see how all the sausage gets made with aftermarket keys-- yeah i wouldn't rely on it for anything important or without a backup plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Once the monopoly owns the service, everything will be fine. That's about as close as one can get to something resembling optimism about future tech nowadays.