Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I know a few of Sega's PC games try to install that on my old computers - Sega Rally 2, Vigilance, et cetera. I don't think they owned it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I know a few of Sega's PC games try to install that on my old computers - Sega Rally 2, Vigilance, et cetera. I don't think they owned it though.
Heat.net was created and operated by SegaSoft, the semi-independent-ish western PC gaming wing of Sega.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Kins posted:

Heat.net was created and operated by SegaSoft, the semi-independent-ish western PC gaming wing of Sega.

It was also the exact same software as Mplayer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like Id's old Steam releases have been rejigged a bit:

• The Ultimate Doom is now just called Doom (1993).
  • The DOS version of Final Doom is longer available for separate purchase, it's now included with Doom 2.
  • The original Doom 3, it's expansion, and the BFG Edition are now all tied together into one purchase.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

• The DOS version of Final Doom is longer available for separate purchase, it's now included with Doom 2.
  • The original Doom 3, it's expansion, and the BFG Edition are now all tied together into one purchase.

I'm okay with this, it helps avoiding that awkward problem where someone might only have had the unity doom version of the final doom IWADs for using with PWADs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Was there ever any significant mods or anything for DOOM 64? I presume given how late the proper PC port is, the answer is no.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Kins posted:

Does this mean I got BFG edition for free? I never had it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was there ever any significant mods or anything for DOOM 64? I presume given how late the proper PC port is, the answer is no.
The Unmaking is superb.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"The UnMaking" for the ND release, I believe, is the premiere example.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Very sensible changes. /puts down pitchfork

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
oh poo poo that looks rad

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Blog post with more changes

Quake 2 and the expansions are getting merged into one install package.
Ditto Quake 3 and Team Arena.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Quake 2 console ports must be coming :pray:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

had no idea this existed, love me some doom 64. hell yeah!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Shadow Hog posted:

"The UnMaking" for the ND release, I believe, is the premiere example.

played a bit of this just now, it's cool as gently caress

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is there a mod to play something like a hybrid of d64 and classic doom in gzdoom? Like adding the unmaker and the levels, and maybe the colored lighting and q1-like soundtrack but that would let you use classic doom sprites?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

Blog post with more changes

Quake 2 and the expansions are getting merged into one install package.
Ditto Quake 3 and Team Arena.

This means we now have to refer to DOOM as DOOM (1993), and you can only refer to DOOM (2016) as DOOM. Those the rules, you can do nothing about it. Pass it on!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Tyler_McV/status/1557484556894224386?s=20&t=7dwNeutrO9Snrw6VQKVjoA

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nothing about RealPlayer was ever game-changing, come on now :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh man that sounds aw- BUFFERING

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is there a mod to play something like a hybrid of d64 and classic doom in gzdoom? Like adding the unmaker and the levels, and maybe the colored lighting and q1-like soundtrack but that would let you use classic doom sprites?
Threshold of Pain is what you're looking for

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah, thanks buddy.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I clicked through just now and the guy was reading out a printout asking about Shodan's boobs.

I'd like to say we've moved on from 1999, but eh

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

I wish I had the space for a dedicated 1999 pc gaming room in my house.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ponzicar posted:

I wish I had the space for a dedicated 1999 pc gaming room in my house.

My computer so old that it’s not far off.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

This means we now have to refer to DOOM as DOOM (1993), and you can only refer to DOOM (2016) as DOOM. Those the rules, you can do nothing about it. Pass it on!
I was looking for DOOM (1993) on my Deck the other day and was confused why it wasn't next to DOOM II, and then I remembered that DOOM begins with a "U".

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vakal posted:

And the Gloom mod.

I was lucky enough to have a LAN to play Gloom on regularly, and unlucky enough to have someone main a stalker. You couldn't walk down a corridor without checking for a corpse, I guarantee it was infested. Then he'd pop out and murder you while you were shooting corpses, because of course he was always there.

Strange, I can't imagine you're a goon but if you are just know that you trained me well for any horror game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So this is gone, what was it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Was about a 1999 release party for System Shock 2, I believe?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Twerk from Home posted:

Does this mean I got BFG edition for free? I never had it.

Looks like it does - checked my library and the BFG Edition's there now, and double-checking the Steam news post about it, it says anyone who owns either individual version of Doom 3 got a free upgrade to having both. Really wasn't expecting that, I'd have been happy just knowing that the original is still available in some way.

Unrelated, decided to start playing Dark Forces 2 again, and went with Kinsie's guide to get it working on modern systems because the other stuff I found on PCGamingWiki looked like too much trouble. Problem is, even though I have it set up through dgvoodoo to run in windowed mode, it only properly works in the menu - whenever I'm in actual gameplay, my desktop resolution still changes to nearly match what I set the game to run at, which ends up basically fullscreen with several pixels of desktop visible around the sides and the game's title bar cutting off the top of the screen. The only resolution that doesn't do that is my native one, but the game just immediately crashes on loading a level at that resolution, presumably because it's 4k.

I did everything mentioned in the guide, what am I missing to get it to properly run in a window?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kadorhal posted:

Looks like it does - checked my library and the BFG Edition's there now, and double-checking the Steam news post about it, it says anyone who owns either individual version of Doom 3 got a free upgrade to having both. Really wasn't expecting that, I'd have been happy just knowing that the original is still available in some way.

Unrelated, decided to start playing Dark Forces 2 again, and went with Kinsie's guide to get it working on modern systems because the other stuff I found on PCGamingWiki looked like too much trouble. Problem is, even though I have it set up through dgvoodoo to run in windowed mode, it only properly works in the menu - whenever I'm in actual gameplay, my desktop resolution still changes to nearly match what I set the game to run at, which ends up basically fullscreen with several pixels of desktop visible around the sides and the game's title bar cutting off the top of the screen. The only resolution that doesn't do that is my native one, but the game just immediately crashes on loading a level at that resolution, presumably because it's 4k.

I did everything mentioned in the guide, what am I missing to get it to properly run in a window?

Just use this, it works amazing and just got updated to work properly with SSAO. Game plays like a dream now - widescreen, smooth 60fps vsync, properly scaled HUD, no weird window resizing nonsense using the menu. My biggest aggravation is that Kyle's cool beard only appears in cutscenes.

Kinsie is of course correct that there is only so much that can be done with the original exe, but I don't think this source port existed when they wrote that up?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Was a replay of the System Shock 2 release party.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I'm not very good at DOOM (2016), but I'm still getting through it, bit by bit. I just found the lever in Advanced Research Complex, and forgot (since I've only done it once before) that you have to physically enter the classic Doom map bit that opens up in order to actually unlock the map itself.

I do not want to do that level over again right now, but goddammit, I want the classic map :negative:

Also, I unlocked Tower of Babel, gave it a try... Is the 2016 cyberdemon bugged or something? If I'm far enough away, which is to say maybe 30', it just stops reacting of doing anything at all. If I get closer, it swipes at me.

The cyberdemon(s) in the game proper work fine. :shrug:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh my god, Civvie did Chaser :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVCjOOtbkg

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:bisonyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:sickos:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do Chrome next. Then Breed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

I have fond memories of Chrome. Yeah, it was bad and forgettable in a lot of ways, but some of the weapons were really satisfyingly chunky, and it also came with the complete game source code on the CD so you could gently caress around with it to (for example) give yourself an infinite-use recharging stealth device.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Breed was the coolest poo poo for a hot minute.

I remember all of the mods for the demo alone, turned it into a sort of sandbox to gently caress around with the space to ground transition tech and vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Breed was the first game I remember advertising itself as "the Halo killer" and the first and only one of those I got excited for before it came out.