Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hypnobeard posted:

I'm quite sure there was a discussion at WOTC about what was out there that could be quickly incorporated into the existing rules to give a different feel without too much effort. Rolemaster, in that sense, was right there, had been doing it forever.

They ended up going further in a lot of ways, but it would not surprise me that they started somewhere around there.

I was playing lots of rm when 3e came out, and I think it was the unified mechanic (roll, add numbers, result) that felt most similar rather than a bunch of bizarre bespoke systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

sebmojo posted:

I was playing lots of rm when 3e came out, and I think it was the unified mechanic (roll, add numbers, result) that felt most similar rather than a bunch of bizarre bespoke systems

Unrelated: do you still play RM or HARP?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hypnobeard posted:

Unrelated: do you still play RM or HARP?

We tend to staple its skills and combat into other games, I've played eclipse phase, Warhammer, Mage, and Bushido doing that and they've all worked great (with a little bit of fiddling). I last played rolemaster in the late 90s, I think?

World of Darkness games in particular work great, you just turn the number of dice (1-10) into a 10-100 percentile.

There's a modernized version of rm called AGAINST THE DARK MASTER that I want to run with my old crew, it looks like a well designed update, keeping the flavor and simplifying it a little.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, when you convert WoD to any other system, it's not like there's a lot of tight mechanical design to screw up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Truth

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I played a poo poo ton of Rolemaster, MERP, and Spacemaster. It really is a very fun playable system, even though it looks kind of daunting at first.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, when you convert WoD to any other system, it's not like there's a lot of tight mechanical design to screw up.

heh

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My problem with Rolemaster is adding or subtracting so much stuff. Get a crit and now you're at -20 and stunned and bleeding and losing hit points per round and stunned for 2 more rounds with another modifier and etc etc every single round. I needed a spreadsheet created for every single combat and would fill up a page in 2-3 fights.

Not much different from keeping track of all the combat statuses in 4E. Something else I did not like. Putting a ring around the figure made them look like tower of hanoi's.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comstar posted:

My problem with Rolemaster is adding or subtracting so much stuff. Get a crit and now you're at -20 and stunned and bleeding and losing hit points per round and stunned for 2 more rounds with another modifier and etc etc every single round. I needed a spreadsheet created for every single combat and would fill up a page in 2-3 fights.

Not much different from keeping track of all the combat statuses in 4E. Something else I did not like. Putting a ring around the figure made them look like tower of hanoi's.

yeah, that's fair, luckily if you have that much stuff wrong with you your status is likely to become a lot simpler very soon.

for all its flaws and quirks though, the one thing RM does better than anything is the bingo effect, the I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU JUST ROLLED THAT OMG factor.

STORY.

i was playing the Bushido game i mentioned, which was an adaptation of the Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign, and my guy was fighting a samurai of great skill (the Stag Lord, if you've played kingmaker). there was a big fight going on around us, and the village was on fire, but obviously noone was dishonourable enough to interrupt the duel.

We both had an OB, offensive bonus, of roughly 100. First stroke I parried (used my OB as defense, one for one) and made myself largely unhittable. He still hit me, giving me a shallow wound. Next round I struck him with 70 of my 100, but he was parrying fully, so missed.

This went on for a little while, trading careful strikes, and my wounds mounted up - he was better than me. He struck me hard on the third pass, and I was stunned for multiple rounds - able to move and parry clumsily, but not to fight. I rolled my stunned manoeuvre skill, that let me act while stunned, and rolled well enough to have a single round of action.

I embraced the death that i knew had already embraced me and made a full attack, 100 OB, no defense, let the dice fall with an open palm. I open ended (rolled 96-100) which meant I could roll again and add the two numbers, then add my OB. The blow was mighty, but he had a lot of hit points, so it was all down to the critical: I rolled a 92 and cut off his leg.

At this point I swept the blood off my katana, sheathed it in a single fluid move, then slowly toppled like a half chopped tree.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did a massive pressurized spray of blood come out as is samurai movie tradition?

I admit 'This produced a genuine Kurosawa moment' is an argument for a mechanic even if it's not one I'd enjoy myself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There is a reason the Arms Law crit tables are legendary.

This is the Slashing Crits table from 1e (1984)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarding the THAC0 thing, would this have perhaps not been meant for backwards compatibility with how 1E did AC, so that you could just grab a 1E adventure and everything would be mostly like you expect it to be, leaving aside a couple of the weirder classes like assassin?

I cut my gizzard on people who used a mix of 1E and 2E and even as a juvenile it was clear to me that 1E would have the "magic-user" and the "illusionist" spell list, and that these lists had a lot of overlap, and that in 2E, the two were combined (largely at the expense of the illusionist). Similar with the cleric and druid spell lists.

This occurred to me because I know it's clearly been a concern with Call of Cthulhu: that the modern rule sets need to be able to use the old content, with at most a couple of adjustments. And Call of Cthulhu is about as old as AD&D!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Regarding the THAC0 thing, would this have perhaps not been meant for backwards compatibility with how 1E did AC, so that you could just grab a 1E adventure and everything would be mostly like you expect it to be, leaving aside a couple of the weirder classes like assassin?

I cut my gizzard on people who used a mix of 1E and 2E and even as a juvenile it was clear to me that 1E would have the "magic-user" and the "illusionist" spell list, and that these lists had a lot of overlap, and that in 2E, the two were combined (largely at the expense of the illusionist). Similar with the cleric and druid spell lists.

This occurred to me because I know it's clearly been a concern with Call of Cthulhu: that the modern rule sets need to be able to use the old content, with at most a couple of adjustments. And Call of Cthulhu is about as old as AD&D!

2e actually pretty strongly says “play with this new stuff only” for the core rules at least, because a big impetus to the edition change was getting out from under the Satanic Panic. For each of TSR’s three AD&D settings there’s a hardcover “Setting Name Adventures” book that tells you exactly what your character is now, with the most infamous example being all assassins dying in the Forgotten Realms. And adventure design had changed so much during 1e that I don’t think TSR was so interested in backwards compatibility, they wanted you buying new-style hotness from the FR or DL lines.

However, there were still some 1e products that stuck around for a long while, particularly the campaign setting box sets taking years to get updates.

e: I think it’s quite feasible people mixed and matched like you say, and that TSR staffers tacitly supported it even if they couldn’t actually promote it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 9, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There is a reason the Arms Law crit tables are legendary.

This is the Slashing Crits table from 1e (1984)

That's an annoying font.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

In the late-70s/early-80s, I was in a gaming club (DMA Madison Wisconsin) that mainly used a mix of 1e and Arduin Grimoire. Multiple different DMs all using that same-ish mix in a series of open worlds. It was pretty amazing and fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm kinda in favor of how GURPS does melee combat but playing a character with a high skill and taking advantage of it requires a lot of system mastery because having high weapon skill means you can comfortably spend it for the myriad attack options on offer, many of which are actually useful in one situation or another. It doesn't do a great job of signposting what the advantages and disadvantages of many of its mechanics are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We absolutely mixed and matched 1st and 2nd ed back in the 90s.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gospel of Judas?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Judas biased

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
GM, why hast thou forsaken me?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks to random youtube videos I'm thinking about LOST again. I'd kind of like to try and run an rpg campaign inspired by it one of these days, with PCs being stranded on a weird island full of mysteries.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Avoid having any answers to those mysteries, then chide the players when they're disappointed.

:lost:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

moths posted:

Avoid having any answers to those mysteries, then chide the players when they're disappointed.

:lost:

Hey, in retrospect only the final season let me down imho. The answers to ther side mysteries up till then worked well enough. And if I do run it I'md efinitely use my players wild theories to mix them with my original idea to make the final answer satisfying.

But also I'm probably never gonna get a chance to run this lol.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We absolutely mixed and matched 1st and 2nd ed back in the 90s.

poo poo i tried my best to mix and match basic and AD&D

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What tools do folks like to use for relationship maps these days? It's been a few years since I needed to make one, and frankly the tools were never that great. It seems like the landscape for tools of this type has changed quite a bit over the pandemic, so I'm curious what people use now.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I still use Graphviz. It takes some trial and error to find the syntax that will give me the result I want. Once I have it, though, all the hard work is done.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Poking around at this tonight, I discovered sketchboard.me and I am quite pleased! If I could have this as a program on my computer instead of on a site it would be perfect, but even so, it works very, very well: not anywhere near as clunky as the stuff I'm used to, and it automates away so many minor UI irritations. Still curious what the rest of the field looks like, but I can at least give this one a thumbs-up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Plutonis posted:

That's an annoying font.

It has powerful middle school blotter energy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

poo poo i tried my best to mix and match basic and AD&D
That was just called "playing D&D" in the early 80's.

Nobody could figure out how AD&D was supposed to be played, so just used its content with basic rules.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Edition Wars taught me that you can't argue the merits of AD&D with AD&D fans, because no one actually plays AD&D.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah it wasn't until 3.0 that my gaming groups had a sort of inarguable correct way to play. I'd go back and browse the 2E books years later and find that we didn't use half of the rules. Initiative in particular looked interesting as written.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Edition Wars taught me that you can't argue the merits of AD&D with AD&D fans, because no one actually plays AD&D.

I assume this was when OSRIC came out? I had the perception there was a group of people that grabbed OSRIC and immediately checked out to play only that, perhaps I was mistaken.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm actually running a 2e AD&D game these days. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My experiences with Rolemaster have shown me that it is a nightmare of kafkaesque propotions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
2e took out some of the rules that barely anyone used, so I can believe people who say they're actually playing AD&D2e.

DalaranJ posted:

I assume this was when OSRIC came out? I had the perception there was a group of people that grabbed OSRIC and immediately checked out to play only that, perhaps I was mistaken.
These were just pointless arguments I had with grognards on RPGnet years ago. There was much less OSR stuff and the scene was centered around OSRIC and a few other retroclones at the time, but it's not really tied to any product. (OSRIC was created as a platform for anyone to legally make AD&D1e compatible content, so I expect anyone who "checked out" to play only OSRIC was already checked out.)

You can't really argue with these people because you're talking about the text, and they're talking about the corrected, house-ruled version of the text that only exists in their heads and spiral-bound notebooks. It's like arguing about the Bible with a fundamentalist.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

You can't really argue with these people because you're talking about the text, and they're talking about the corrected, house-ruled version of the text that only exists in their heads and spiral-bound notebooks. It's like arguing about the Bible with a fundamentalist.
In that they also insist they're just using the literal plain meaning of the original text?

Well except the apocrypha, of course you leave that out, and we say kjv 1611 only but actually use a slightly later version and just say 1611, and

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

In that they also insist they're just using the literal plain meaning of the original text?
In that they've built their entire identity around memorizing parts of a book that suit their purposes and not even reading other parts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Thank you all for indirectly clearing up my confusion. This

will be branded in my brain forever more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 11, 2022