Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

the prosecution's case falls apart before our very eyes as "banned for doxxing" becomes "banned for pretend doxxing"

Threatening to do a chargeback on the SA store will also get you permabanned even if you don't actually do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
everyone being so nice to me :] :]

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Azathoth posted:

He was justified in freaking out, he was not justified in doxxing or threatening to doxx.

Also, just to be clear, Alec did confirm he was not actually doxxed as a result of it but I do not know if that was because cumshitter had bad info or because he didn't try or both.

my understanding is he didnt try and wasnt interested in trying at all

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

paul has made it very clear that they dont have any interest in being an ik

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Azathoth posted:

He was justified in freaking out, he was not justified in doxxing or threatening to doxx.

Also, just to be clear, Alec did confirm he was not actually doxxed as a result of it but I do not know if that was because cumshitter had bad info or because he didn't try or both.

what’s the castle doctrine view vis-a-vis doxxing

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Korean Boomhauer posted:

:thunk:

and yet he remains banned, curious

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Free the man, it's a layup

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

paul has made it very clear that they dont have any interest in being an ik

Ur such a cheeky scamp

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

the prosecution's case falls apart before our very eyes as "banned for doxxing" becomes "banned for pretend doxxing"
im very fuzzy on the exact details of what cumshitter believed about him but my understanding is that all the information came from the vlogs that Alec posted directly or at least information that could be gleaned from seeing street signs or landmarks or skylines or whatever in the background and not folks digging up poo poo from elsewhere because beyond all the other poo poo, Alec was also (surprise surprise) a chronic oversharer in his vlogs

that the doxx was incorrect was immaterial as cumshitter believed it to be true and with doxxing the intention makes the crime

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I have to argue for some leniency when an obvious freak who lives nearby was focused on him and broadcasting freak poo poo and no one was doing anything about it

not attacking you on this point, btw, I don't blame you for not wanting to be on top of the trump thread in that era

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Threatening to do a chargeback on the SA store will also get you permabanned even if you don't actually do it

also remember that Alec's descent into madness started when he threatened to do a charge back and got permabanned for it, then that permaban was rescinded when he didn't actually do it.

no one could clearly remember why it was rescinded though, it was happening during the Flavius poo poo so my guess is he got some clemency from that, but yeah threaten that poo poo now even if you don't go through with it and it's an immediate perma.

chargebacks could seriously gently caress with the ability to process credit cards so there's definitely don't even joke about that poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Alec Eifel was an extreme case where watching his vlogs led to unintentional and subconscious doxing. Cumshitter's (I assume) coke fueled new years rant was a crime of passion, if a crime at all. When backed into a corner of being posted at by a wierdo he grabbed any internet weapon avaliable to defend himself and flailed it around haphazardly. If intention is truly the crime, then it cannot be applied to Alec, because he kept posting videos of himself reading out his birth certificate. Nobody could watch an Alec vlog without learning some new shard of PII that is like 2 clicks away from discovering.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ban everyone who encouraged vlogs

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

also remember that Alec's descent into madness started when he threatened to do a charge back and got permabanned for it, then that permaban was rescinded when he didn't actually do it.

no one could clearly remember why it was rescinded though, it was happening during the Flavius poo poo so my guess is he got some clemency from that, but yeah threaten that poo poo now even if you don't go through with it and it's an immediate perma.

chargebacks could seriously gently caress with the ability to process credit cards so there's definitely don't even joke about that poo poo

Thinking permabanning for a joke would make chargebacks less likely is some excellent glenn thread word idea

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
so the mods, by their own admission, knew Alec was a problem, failed to deal with the problem, and are pushing off the responsibility of their error onto the non-mod poster who was ready to chase Alec away by hook or by crook.

very effective and sound leadership we have here

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Azathoth posted:

im very fuzzy on the exact details of what cumshitter believed about him but my understanding is that all the information came from the vlogs that Alec posted directly or at least information that could be gleaned from seeing street signs or landmarks or skylines or whatever in the background and not folks digging up poo poo from elsewhere because beyond all the other poo poo, Alec was also (surprise surprise) a chronic oversharer in his vlogs

that the doxx was incorrect was immaterial as cumshitter believed it to be true and with doxxing the intention makes the crime

Korean Boomhauer posted:

You's honors, I motion for a mistrial and all charges against cumshitter be dropped and restitution paid out to the wrongly imprisoned, on the grounds that the modmin team can't even get its story straight

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Junkozeyne posted:

Thinking permabanning for a joke would make chargebacks less likely is some excellent glenn thread word idea

eh, I don't think I've seen anyone actually joke about it, it's only been dipshits trying to do the "it was only a joke!" thing after the fact, it's just something that is legit dangerous enough that it must be discouraged

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
What was the deal with alec anyways? He just seemed like a trump thread poster except he vlogged instead of posting

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Red Baron posted:

so the mods, by their own admission, knew Alec was a problem, failed to deal with the problem, and are pushing off the responsibility of their error onto the non-mod poster who was ready to chase Alec away by hook or by crook.

they dealt with the problem, duh

they banned the person causing an obvious ruckus and only bothered to actually ban the attention seeking weirdo weeks later when there was enough of an outcry that it forced their hand

see: literally every other mod controversy ever. i'm serious, go look at every big moderator controversy and it follows the same pattern: someone calls out "hey, there's horrible creepy poo poo happening", they get banned, a bunch of other people say that this is a really bad look, an admin comes in with a tone-deaf statement and closes the qcs thread, the moderator that queued up the original ban resigns, people ask why the admin in charge isn't fired, another admin comes in and unilaterally bans the original creepy posters, the admins declare the problem solved

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Terminal autist posted:

What was the deal with alec anyways? He just seemed like a trump thread poster except he vlogged instead of posting

We need a trump poster to the stand to explain TORMP culture. I think he was extra even for them, but there is a culture of "yes, and" that couldn't really turn him off till it was too late.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Red Baron posted:

I see your puzzle is missing one crucial piece: alec spent a shitload of money on avatars

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
On a teacher's (or whatever) salary follow the money Alec was an op

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Red Baron posted:

in my defense, i was trying to deal with it but id only been a mod for like a month when i first got involved (I came on in late October and i started getting involved around Thanksgiving) and that was immediately after we'd had nearly complete turnover in the mod team so we were desperately shorthanded. there was a period around Christmas that same year where it was just me and another mod who was only around part time to keep track of everything happening in here.

we were all still pretty much lurching from one crisis to the next and that poo poo had been simmering for months because after Flavius no one was exactly eager to pick a mod from the Trump thread and it basically had no moderation after him.

we are in a much, much better place now, but context is important for all this

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Terminal autist posted:

i imagine it mostly had to do with his vlogs being, if you didn’t watch them, just static pictures of his face, which many people took exception to

he had some funny vlogs here and there but it was mostly posting in 4D(!!!) with all the usual quality and top tier insight you expect from the trump thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Azathoth posted:

in my defense, i was trying to deal with it but id only been a mod for like a month when i first got involved (I came on in late October and i started getting involved around Thanksgiving) and that was immediately after we'd had nearly complete turnover in the mod team so we were desperately shorthanded. there was a period around Christmas that same year where it was just me and another mod who was only around part time to keep track of everything happening in here.

we were all still pretty much lurching from one crisis to the next and that poo poo had been simmering for months because after Flavius no one was exactly eager to pick a mod from the Trump thread and it basically had no moderation after him.

https://youtu.be/gkcAeEhtCbU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

KirbyKhan posted:

We need a trump poster to the stand to explain TORMP culture. I think he was extra even for them, but there is a culture of "yes, and" that couldn't really turn him off till it was too late.

The trump thread gets like thousands of posts a week or something, I don't know how you can be that much of a poo poo to generate such animosity in there

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

they dealt with the problem, duh

they banned the person causing an obvious ruckus and only bothered to actually ban the attention seeking weirdo weeks later when there was enough of an outcry that it forced their hand

see: literally every other mod controversy ever. i'm serious, go look at every big moderator controversy and it follows the same pattern: someone calls out "hey, there's horrible creepy poo poo happening", they get banned, a bunch of other people say that this is a really bad look, an admin comes in with a tone-deaf statement and closes the qcs thread, the moderator that queued up the original ban resigns, people ask why the admin in charge isn't fired, another admin comes in and unilaterally bans the original creepy posters, the admins declare the problem solved

Alec's perma was being discussed (lol i know) when cumshitter freaked out, and i was personally begging cumshitter in PMs for more time to deal with Alec when it all went down. acting like we only perma'ed Alec because of cumshitter's meltdown is just wrong.

a big reason it took so long was that previous mod teams hadn't dealt with Alec at all, so when the admins saw a request from some new mods for an immediate perma for a guy who only really had IK 6ers, they were skeptical and so it took some time to demonstrate to them that yes, it really was necessary. again, not saying that is right or was handled correctly, but acting like we were ignoring Alec is wrong as well

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Azathoth posted:

context such as (as stated by posters with stars itt) cumshitter had no intention of doxxing Alec, and could not have done so even if they did.

it was a bad shoot, and trying to explain it away just makes it worse.

e: I do appreciate the transparency, I don’t want to seem ungrateful

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Terminal autist posted:

The trump thread gets like thousands of posts a week or something, I don't know how you can be that much of a poo poo to generate such animosity in there

Red Baron posted:

i imagine it mostly had to do with his vlogs being, if you didn’t watch them, just static pictures of his face, which many people took exception to

he had some funny vlogs here and there but it was mostly posting in 4D(!!!) with all the usual quality and top tier insight you expect from the trump thread

He had an incredibly ugly face in a place where people lovingly crafted TORMP photoshops. I cannot overstate how low mid this man looked.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

KirbyKhan posted:

He had an incredibly ugly face in a place where people lovingly crafted TORMP photoshops. I cannot overstate how low mid this man looked.

we already have two posters from the “great” state of PA who can’t stop positing their faces instead of their much cuter animals and Alec didn’t even have a cute animal

the bar was set low and he still tripped over it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Red Baron posted:

context such as (as stated by posters with stars itt) cumshitter had no intention of doxxing Alec, and could not have done so even if they did.

it was a bad shoot, and trying to explain it away just makes it worse.

I don't believe that cumshitter had no intention of doxxing Alec, he just didn't successfully doxx Alec for reasons that are unclear even now. he was zooted out of his gourd and i do not know one way or the other if he actually tried to call Alec's employer. he might not have actually done it, but he definitely wasn't joking about it and being too high to do something right isn't the same as having no intention

Also, so it doesn't get lost, I'm not even arguing in favor of his perma staying in place, just they there's a lot of misinformation floating around and I want to Correct The Record.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

he definitely wasn't joking about it and being too high to do something right isn't the same as having no intention

Mmmmm..i dunno i think this could be argued in forums court. How serious is intent of to doxx if not doxxed and poster is high. Going to need to see more evidence

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Another day still no ik badge on paul_soccer12. :(

bump

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, like I was saying, I wouldn't have a problem if cumshitter came back but that's not my call to make. There's just a lot of misrepresentation about what happened, I don't think intentionally mind you, and I think folks should have a clear picture of what actually occurred.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, like I was saying, I wouldn't have a problem if cumshitter came back but that's not my call to make. There's just a lot of misrepresentation about what happened, I don't think intentionally mind you, and I think folks should have a clear picture of what actually occurred.

jeff should tell us how much money Alec was spending on avatars while the admins conveniently looked the other way despite his serious case of Main Character Syndrome

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

jeff should tell us how much money Alec was spending on avatars while the admins conveniently looked the other way despite his serious case of Main Character Syndrome

lmao if you think anyone on the admin team at the time knew anything more about the trump thread than it was where Flavius came from and that it was profoundly weird and incomprehensible

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Azathoth posted:

lmao if you think anyone on the admin team at the time knew anything more about the trump thread than it was where Flavius came from and that it was profoundly weird and incomprehensible

the whole forums were plastered with his face avatars

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
everywhere else they were more or less treated as hate speech avatars and immediately blanked or reverted for free by someone with any dignity or taste, which is kind of funny so we didn't really see them. sometimes when on the same guy a bunch of times maybe, or a mod who often keep it a bit to be a sport.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

These are too many words. Though I was not a fan of him, if cumshitter did not doxx then he should be made to pay a $10 tax for threatening it and be allowed back. Now we should move on to making Paul_soccer12 an IK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

the whole forums were plastered with his face avatars

to my knowledge, no one was aware it was anything more than the weird incomprehensible thread being weird and incomprehensible before I dove in and started trying to figure out what the gently caress was happening. also, i don't remember him buying those avs for folks who didn't post in that thread until well after even that