Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why don't you start with a chimp, buddy, and work your way up from there?

e: I'm not even sure what point they are trying to make. That Tesla will detect that it's a fake kid and therefore try to intentionally run it down?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Elon really hates dwarfs.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

so teslas are literally the predator

No just built by one

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

e: I'm not even sure what point they are trying to make. That Tesla will detect that it's a fake kid and therefore try to intentionally run it down?

there's no point. they're just searching for a reason to dismiss the video

they tweet the first excuse that comes to mind, and don't bother thinking that excuse through to its logical conclusions

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

maybe the Tesla collision detection system works like those homeopathic bomb detectors and you have to rub a child against the sensors for a while to train it

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

GABA ghoul posted:

If teslas aren’t already programmed to mow down chimps, they should be. A loose chimp on the streets is a threat to everyone.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The thread is indeed wild. The guy keeps talking as if Tesla is the only company in the world who can deliver this kind of tech, so their integrity must be defended at all costs.

Several companies who started much later than they did are already ahead of them in terms of delivered & in the wild ALKS and ADAS, they just don't call it "autopilot" or "full self driving".

Will someone please think of Tesla's feelings??

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Cannot wait for Tesla to finally crash and burn

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Durzel posted:

The thread is indeed wild. The guy keeps talking as if Tesla is the only company in the world who can deliver this kind of tech, so their integrity must be defended at all costs.

Several companies who started much later than they did are already ahead of them in terms of delivered & in the wild ALKS and ADAS, they just don't call it "autopilot" or "full self driving".

Will someone please think of Tesla's feelings??

Musk cut RADAR/LIDAR out of Teslas to save costs and called it a revolutionary feature because he has super coders that will solve everything with regular video cameras. They haven't. Tesla's self-driving and safety now sucks rear end compared to their rivals and they are basically stagnant with no progress until they develop this super image software AI that doesn't exist.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 11, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Cannot wait for Tesla to finally crash and burn

It won't, it's already synonymous with luxury as a brand, which is all you really need for rich people to keep buying it.

Having a Tesla is a status symbol, which will do more to drive sales than people dying in flames will hamper them.

People would rather look cool than hem and haw over safety

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Looking for a small child to do experiments with in Bay area. Child will be unharmed and an adult will be present during the experiments at all time. No fat or tall children (this is important!). Parents will be compensated for any damages caused. Serious replies only!

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It won't, it's already synonymous with luxury as a brand, which is all you really need for rich people to keep buying it.

Having a Tesla is a status symbol, which will do more to drive sales than people dying in flames will hamper them.

I can see it having a high churn rate if they don't improve things massively and deliver on these incessant promises.

I actually have a Tesla Model 3, and paid extra for the FSD option, I bought in to the hype and promises when I bought it in 2020. Practically none of it has been realised, and as is de rigueur things that were promised as "coming later this year" never did. The build quality and paint is suspect, by far the worst of any car I've owned. I've been told by the detailer guy that I use for everything that it is "one of the better ones", which is damning with faint praise.

Practically all of the driver convenience stuff you expect in modern cars at this price point, or even substantially less, is either completely missing or doesn't work. Auto headlights is not fit for purpose, the car can't "see" distant rear lights, is glacial at turning off for oncoming cars - if it turns off at all, doesn't turn off in higher ambient light areas, and turns off at reflections from street signs. Auto wipers are a lottery, thanks to Musk's ~vision~ of getting rid of the $5 Bosch rain sensor used on older Teslas and reinventing the wheel with cameras and AI. This wouldn't be so bad if it even reached parity with the aforementioned sensor, but it doesn't. As a camera based system it naturally fails in low light situations, and often completely fails to tune the wiper speed to the prevailing conditions. It has dry wiped the screen on more than one occasion.

All of that is to say that there are plenty of choices now in the EV space, and it's really only battery & motor efficiency where Tesla have a lead, together with the historical aspirational value of the brand (which, since Elon is extremely online, is not much to write about). Customers like myself who have bought one and realised afterwards that the whole experience has a strong Emperor's New Clothes smell about it are going to be drawn to those competitors that actually build the cars a lot better and have ALKS and ADAS tech that - whilst not being called Autopilot or Full Self Driving - is just as capable if not more so.

(I'm in Europe where autonomous development has stood still for years, but at least my car isn't driving itself into kerbs on "FSD beta").

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Sounds like an increase in dead rich people. I'm fine with this.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

It’s hard to look cool when you’re hot. Because you’re on fire. Because your Tesla caught on fire and it’s hot.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
found a new demo vid of tesla autopilot

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BadPerfumedFlatcoatretriever-mobile.mp4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Make this the thread title please.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

This was very true for almost a decade but only because they were "cool tech". Porsche and Mercedes electric cars will be much bigger status symbols than Tesla at not too different price points.

Tesla is already losing ground on both technology and cool factor fronts. How is a Tesla more advanced tech-wise than a Rivian or a Lucid for tech bros? How is it more luxurious than an electric Mercedes EQS? I mean look at the interior of the EQS compared to a Model S and laugh.

I actually agree with Tesla going all in on something like a Model 3 and trying to get even more cheap models in. Their best chance to stay relevant is to become an electric Toyota, and not try to compete with actual luxury brands. Especially because Toyota flinched and spent the last decade trying to push their dead-end hydrogen tech instead of developing electric models.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 11, 2022

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Is Tesla synonymous with luxury for anyone not drinking the musk-aid? The first few years I remember people viewing them as a status symbol but now I only ever see and hear Tesla owners being mocked for it.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Me, I'm the wheel of my Tesla in the street having my child run out from our hedge while I the accelerator

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

What's this from. Seem to remember it was an add for something stupid like insurance, or pepsi or somesuch.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

What's this from. Seem to remember it was an add for something stupid like insurance, or pepsi or somesuch.

an irish anti speeding psa

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
at the end the guy in the car survives and it's an ad to be sure to wear your seatbelt

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

run on sentience posted:

Is Tesla synonymous with luxury for anyone not drinking the musk-aid? The first few years I remember people viewing them as a status symbol but now I only ever see and hear Tesla owners being mocked for it.

feels like middle aged dads and their daughters think they are cool. which probably isn't a good sign for the long term.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

stinch posted:

feels like middle aged dads and their daughters think they are cool. which probably isn't a good sign for the long term.

Works for Mercedes

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

William Bear posted:

This is pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/alexdemling/status/1557221632837505025

Hyperloop has always mystified me, because even if it worked exactly as described with no issues, it would still be less efficient than a normal subway or train.

Now we know why.

Pro-click linked article. I wish the Musk-suckers could be forced to read it.
https://time.com/6203815/elon-musk-flaws-billionaire-visions/

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

stinch posted:

One of the few car brands teenagers are able to name, actually. Do you guys not have kids?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

latinotwink1997 posted:

If teslas aren’t already programmed to mow down chimps, they should be. A loose chimp on the streets is a threat to everyone.

Ask him to come on your podcast again and float the idea to him, joe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

loose children are also a threat for that matter, they can behave unpredictably, especially when startled, and their small but powerful fingers can easily slip through an adult’s ear canal and puncture the brain

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

latinotwink1997 posted:

A Tesla traveling at 60 mph has the option to remain in it’s lane of travel and mow down a chimp or change lanes and mow down ten children…

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

King Carnivore posted:

A Tesla traveling at 60 mph has the option to remain in it’s lane of travel and mow down a chimp or change lanes and mow down ten children…

Easy, drift sideways into both.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Easy, drift sideways into both.

Multi-track Grifting

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Gotta train the ML algorithms what crushing a child feels like before it can avoid them

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The Bloop posted:

Multi-track Grifting

boring company is more like zero-track grifting

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Gotta train the ML algorithms what crushing a child feels like before it can avoid them

ML algorithms need millions of examples to be trained to a high degree of accuracy.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1557943469984956417

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Look, no one is arguing that the man isn’t a comedic genius.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I hate this guy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

He's posting this to get ahead of a news story regarding a sex tape, with him in it, to distort the search engine, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

“Heh, see I can be light hearted” *just got terrible news regarding the likely outcome of this stupid lawsuit that is all my fault*