Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sound like those were some lovely models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Here's the article for all you tree heads out there: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05093-2
Our observations suggest that winter winds, deep snow and greater nutrient availability provide for rapid individual and exponential population growth, propelling the population northwards at >4 km per decade, faster than for all modern conifer treelines previously measured5. These environmental factors are associated with rising temperatures and decreasing sea ice30,31,32, highlighting interconnections between marine and terrestrial components in a rapidly changing Arctic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Either those seeds were old as gently caress since before permafrost or they got there from some wild migrating animals, p impressive either way

E: fuckin beat gonna read the page

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pryor on Fire posted:

Here's the article for all you tree heads out there: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05093-2
Our observations suggest that winter winds, deep snow and greater nutrient availability provide for rapid individual and exponential population growth, propelling the population northwards at >4 km per decade, faster than for all modern conifer treelines previously measured5. These environmental factors are associated with rising temperatures and decreasing sea ice30,31,32, highlighting interconnections between marine and terrestrial components in a rapidly changing Arctic

triassic future locked in

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19826611-200-when-crocodiles-roamed-the-arctic/ posted:

When crocodiles roamed the Arctic

WHEN Ernest Shackleton and his men marched towards the South Pole in December 1908, they came across something entirely unexpected. After scaling the vast Beardmore glacier on the edge of the polar plateau, they found seams of coal amid the snow and ice. They also found impressions of leaves in sandstone boulders nearby and even fossilized wood from a coniferous tree.

The conclusion was extraordinary but inescapable: Antarctica was once warm and forested, conditions that could hardly be more different to the far-below-freezing midsummer weather that forced Shackleton’s team to turn back before reaching the pole. How was this possible?

During this time, when dinosaurs roamed the almost subtropical forests of an ice-free Antarctic, conditions on the other side of the planet were even more remarkable: the Arctic Ocean was a gigantic freshwater lake infested with crocodile-like reptiles.

:rock:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Uuuuuuuuuh that's pretty loving far north already for these trees

How long till some shrub starts growing in Antarctica. I know the south is insanely colder and shittier cause it's a desert but this might kick in sooner than expected

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

God Hole posted:

triassic future locked in

:rock:

seams of coal in the ice you say...

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i misread that as antarctic initially and have been having a mild panic attack for the last hour.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress it get ur brontosauruses out we're dino ridin'.

Biden remembers the good ol days

Nice rack of ribs, yabba, do the thing you know the

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol trees are growing why are they so mad we need the trees

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just turn the arctic into a new rainforest bing bong so easy

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The artic sprouting useless trees that will need thousands of years to build up topsoil for stands of actual forests doesn't signal great things for the other grow zones like coffee, citrus or corn.

Guess I should go ahead and setup my Ohio based orange orchard sooner rather than later.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
nature is adapting :)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
by getting rid of the loving cancer that is humans, yes

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i am going to topsoil antarctica. topsoil is now a verb

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

soiling the whole world top to bottom as we speak

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You know what would really help build that topsoil? A lot of dead animals strewn across the Arctic. I think we can help

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You know what would really help build that topsoil? A lot of dead animals strewn across the Arctic. I think we can help

The time to get in on cheap arctic real estate is right now

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Y'all are all doom and gloom because of a few klathrates, but check out the new carbon sink that nature provides

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

an egg posted:

i am going to topsoil antarctica. topsoil is now a verb

i think it's always been one in fetish circles

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/PGDynes/status/1557640172610674689

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just paint them raccoon colors they're already primed for pigment

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

man, it's really hosed up about the environment

it'd be bad rear end if that could ever get better

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

:(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Egg Moron posted:

No

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Egg Moron posted:

give it a couple million years and things should start to recover

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

read something about how someone once wrote "Ive never seen a polar bear and I dont care if my kids do" as a response about climate change and that might have started a bit of a crack ping

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is it terrible that on looking at that picture I also thought "wow who the gently caress throws away those nice wood cartons, people pay a lot for those"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol can you imagine if they asked north americans to do this?

A lot of places that are now getting scorching hot in occasion in North America don't have AC at all.

A lot of public schools in Hawaii don't have AC even though it hits the 90s often, with high humidity.

So yes, I can imagine this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Polar bears are lucky, a lot of animals can't eat our trash and therefore just die.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

A lot of places that are now getting scorching hot in occasion in North America don't have AC at all.

A lot of public schools in Hawaii don't have AC even though it hits the 90s often, with high humidity.

So yes, I can imagine this.

i just moved to colorado and it seems like A/C is pretty new thing here lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

newsome revealed the california water plan for the next 10 years. he assumes only 10% loss of water through 2040

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i just moved to colorado and it seems like A/C is pretty new thing here lol

It's not new to the front range.

Up where I am, AC is uncommon. But when summer peaks in the low 90s with humidity in the teens for a week, you don't really need AC.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

fantastic username/post combo

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

hell yea, dudes, same

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.wsj.com/articles/businesses-should-prepare-for-risk-of-civil-unrest-from-food-scarcity-11660210202

Wall Street Journal focussing on the important part of imminent food riots - how companies can protect their operations

quote:

“With authoritarian regimes, you’re going to see a high likelihood of a pattern of increased civil disobedience, which would become dramatic in some countries,” Mr. Robson said. “I do think the circumstances in the short term will be extremely difficult.”

Mr. Robson added that in the longer term—12 to 18 months—steps could be taken to increase global food production and improve the situation.

Should unrest unfold, companies operating in affected areas can take some steps to mitigate the damage. Businesses are increasingly using technology to examine their supply chains to determine how unrest might impact their operations, Verisk Maplecroft’s Ms. Blanco said.

Allianz’s Mr. Todorovic said companies should also assess where exactly they have situated their facilities in hot-spot countries, figuring out, for example, whether those operations are near targets of protest such as public squares or town halls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

can someone turn this poo poo into a polyester shirt that I can buy and wear and then leave behind permanently after I’m dead and gone but all of my dumb trash remains