Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I have an atlatl and I can see why most of the world abandoned them 10,000 years ago. You can put a lot of force into the dart but getting an accurate shot takes a lot of practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they do seem cool as gently caress. i remember learning about them in 6th grade world history. i bet they do just fine against a mammoth or a herd of buffalo which is probably about as "broad side of a barn" as you can get

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/HistoryHours/status/1556922943090851840?t=-tcp3KyPtG90fHgneV0RXQ&s=19

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

https://twitter.com/GarGwill/status/1555278375790551040

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's actually, uh, more impressive because

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the picts didn't have the help of aliens

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

caesar defeated the british with 30 horsemen. he almost lost cause they kept running away and he couldn't kill them and his fleet got whacked by a storm so supplies got low but then his boy commius atrebas brought him 30 horses from france and britannia was sorted out real quick, every building in the south east was razed and tribute was paid

poo poo would have gone a lot better for them if they hadnt imprisoned atrebas as he stepped off the boat earlier on when caesar sent him as an envoy but caesar tells us the britanni were obsessed with the idea of winning their perpetual liberty from the embrace of civilization. what can you do?

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Aug 9, 2022

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Did Romans have any respect to anyone living north of Gaul?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ambiorix got away

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fish of hemp posted:

Did Romans have any respect to anyone living north of Gaul?

Depends how you define respect. The Romans as a whole feared and respected them for their prowess on the battlefield, and also widely despised them. You can go and read Tacitus' "Germania" right now. It ranges from what we would call outright racism to grudging respect to mockery. The idea of the noble savage is extremely prevalent as Tacitus uses it to moralize on what he sees as a degrading Roman society, that has grown fat on the spoils of empire.

Pure Blood

quote:

For myself, I accept the view that the peoples of Germany have never contaminated themselves by intermarriage with foreigners but remain of pure blood, distinct and unlike any other nation. One result of this is that their physical characteristics, in so far as one can generalize about such a large population, are always the same: fierce-looking blue eyes, reddish hair, and big frames - which, however, can exert their strength only by means of violent effort. They are less able to endure toil or fatiguing tasks and cannot bear thirst or heat, though their climate has inured them to cold spells and the poverty of their soil to hunger.

These loving idiots listen to WOMEN

quote:

It stands on record that armies already wavering and on the point of collapse have been rallied by the women, pleading heroically with their men, thrusting forward their bared bosoms, and making them realize the imminent prospect of enslavement - a fate which the Germans fear more desperately for their women than for themselves. Indeed, you can secure a surer hold on these nations if you compel them to include among a consignment of hostages some girls of noble family. More than this, they believe that there resides in women an element of holiness and a gift of prophecy; and so they do not scorn to ask their advice, or lightly disregard their replie

quote:

Bordering on the Suiones are the nations of the Sitones. They resemble them in all respects but one - woman is the ruling sex. That is the measure of their decline, I will not say below freedom, but even below decent slavery

Noble Savage Tiiiiiiiiiime

quote:

By such means is the virtue of their women protected, and they live uncorrupted by the temptations of public shows or the excitements of banquets. Clandestine loveletters are unknown to men and women alike. Adultery is extremely rare, considering the size of the population. A guilty wife is summarily punished by her husband. He cuts off her hair, strips her naked, and in the presence of kinsmen turns her out of his house and flogs her all through the village. They have in tact no mercy on a wife who prostitutes her chastity. Neither beauty, youth, nor wealth can find her another husband. No one in Germany finds vice amusing, or calls it 'up-to-date' to seduce and be seduced. Even better is the practice of those states in which only virgins may marry, so that a woman who has once been a bride has finished with all such hopes and aspirations. She takes one husband, just as she has one body and one life. Her thoughts must not stray beyond him or her desires survive him. And even that husband she must love not for himself, but as an embodiment of the married state. To restrict the number of children, or to kill any of those born after the heir, is considered wicked. Good morality is more effective in Germany than good laws are elsewhere.

In every home the children go naked and dirty, and develop that strength of limb and tall stature which excite our admiration. Every mother feeds her child at the breast and does not depute the task to maids or nurses. The young master is not distinguished from the slave by any pampering in his upbringing. They live together among the same flocks and on the same earthen floor, until maturity sets apart the free and the spirit of velour claims them as her own. The young men are slow to mate, and thus they reach manhood with vigour unimpaired. The girls, too, are not hurried into marriage. As old and full-grown as the men, they match their mates in age and strength, and the children inherit the robustness of their parents. The sons of sisters are as highly honoured by their uncles as by their own fathers. Some tribes even consider the former tie the closer and more sacred of the two, and in demanding hostages prefer nephews to sons, thinking that this gives them a firmer grip on men's hearts and a wider hold on the family. However, a man's heirs and successors are his own children, and there is no such thing as a will. When there is no issue, the first in order of succession are brothers, and then uncles, first on the father's, then on the mother's side. The more relatives and connections by marriage a man has, the greater authority he commands in old age. There is nothing to be gained by childlessness in Germany.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Julius Ceasar respected the contemporary equivalents of the Belgians and Swiss, kind of

quote:

All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called “Celts,” in our language “Gauls,” the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gauls from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of [our] Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war; for which reason the Helvetii also surpass the rest of the Gauls in valor, as they contend with the Germans in almost daily battles, when they either repel them from their own territories, or themselves wage war on their frontiers.

https://erenow.net/biographies/caesar-life-of-a-colossus/12.php

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

No one in Germany finds vice amusing, or calls it 'up-to-date' to seduce and be seduced.

extra-marital affairs: the hottest fad of the decade

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Tulip posted:

It's actually even more awkward than that, since the Spanish did honor a fair number of their diplomatic agreements, most famously with Tlaxcala but also with Totonacs, even well post-conquest. "The Spanish didn't win by their own hand, AND they had some diplomatic honor about it" isn't convenient at all.

the conquest of mesoamerica having been done through politics and subterfuge turns the whole thing from a morality play into part of regular history. this drastically reduces its political utility

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

extra-marital affairs: the hottest fad of the decade

rome had a free love era memorialized by poets like catullus in the mid 1st century bc that imperial era authors tried to distance themselves from. morals were still stricter than we're used to tho.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
catulllus was basically a cspam poster born some 2000 years too soon

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

its good to remember that the northern europeans are brutes and savages who would never have known the light of civilization were it not for the greed and bloodlust of the romans. and this winter, thanks to president putin, they shall be returned to their ancestral state.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which cspam poster churns out the most e/n?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

It's ok, we took a bunch of Egypt's poo poo to even things out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

thats because the brits are a barbaric peoples

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1557354909682499586

toxic masculinity...good???

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Real hurthling! posted:

rome had a free love era memorialized by poets like catullus in the mid 1st century bc that imperial era authors tried to distance themselves from. morals were still stricter than we're used to tho.

Is this a common usage, calling the principate the imperial era? Which is what I presume your doing. Because it seems like terrible nomenclature stemming from lib brain.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gottem

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a lot of people start the imperial era at caesar or augustus yeah?

you have to be a few more layers deep than most normies go to appreciate that the principate wasn't really the same thing as what came before or after

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Just seems weird to say a state that's conquered almost the entire Mediterranean coast isn't an empire.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cerebral Bore posted:

catulllus was basically a cspam poster born some 2000 years too soon

I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face,
Aurelius the bottom and Furius the twink,
You who think because my poems are soft
That I have no shame.
For it's proper for a true poet to be moral,
But in no way is it necessary for his poems;
In fact, these have wit and charm,
If they are soft and shameless,
And can incite a tingle,
Not just in boys, but in those hairy old men
Who can't get it up.
You, who've read my countless kisses,
Think that I am not a man?
I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face,
Aurelius the bottom and Furius the twink,
You who think because my poems are soft
That I have no shame.
For it's proper for a true poet to be moral,
But in no way is it necessary for his poems;
In fact, these have wit and charm,
If they are soft and shameless,
And can incite a tingle,
Not just in boys, but in those hairy old men
Who can't get it up.
You, who've read my countless kisses,
Think that I am not a man?
I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face.

tl;dr: im gay

Weka
May 5, 2019

It's not gay to gently caress another man.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Weka posted:

Is this a common usage, calling the principate the imperial era? Which is what I presume your doing. Because it seems like terrible nomenclature stemming from lib brain.

all of the stages of the empire are generally termed "imperial", yes. it's pretty straightforward. the republic was obviously imperial in the imperialism sense but not in the monarchy sense.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah I'm used to Rome being divided into Kingdom, Republic, and Imperial eras. Like that's just always been how I learned about it going back to elementary school (though I think the monarchy wasn't really mentioned, just that there was a Republican era then an Imperial era starting with Caesar). Heck here's wikipedia

IDK feels pretty simple and intuitive to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weka posted:

we were talking about tacitus' writing ,i usually only say principate for augustus' rule tho some consider the term to mean the first 250 years of empire apparently

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Aug 11, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i've hear people in c-spam call some odd things lib-brained but claiming that referring to the prinicpate onward as the imperial era is such is one of the wilder ones

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

romulus and remus were CHUDs

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

we were talking about tacitus' writing ,i usually only say principate for augustus' rule tho some consider the term to mean the first 250 years of empire apparently

the principate essentially covers the era of the empire when the senate still had genuine power over the state. it is easy to dismiss them immediately upon augustus's ascension - they're just puppets of the emperor, everything about the supposedly split nature of the imperial government was a sham from the start, etc. - and in fact that's what people have basically done since gibbon, but there's definitely been a movement in recent years to reevaluate that assumption. it's quite plain if you look at various events post-augustus and pre-crisis that the senate in fact still wielded considerable power, both in legitimizing an emperor in the first place - they could and did deny legitimacy to various emperors in ways both official and unofficial - and in terms of literally governing half of the provinces in the empire. the principate is a more direct continuation of the republic than has been traditionally acknowledged, just with the position occupied by marius/sulla/caesar in the latter years of the republic legitimized as an actual chief executive instead of an usurpation of normal governmental powers. many institutions of the republic, including voting, continued more or less uninterrupted, although often just as corrupt as they were in the republic naturally.

after aurelian put everything back together again post-crisis it's a monarchy.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Aug 11, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
it's hard to really draw the line because there's a good 100 years or so of the principate that is essentially a junta

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jazerus posted:

the principate essentially covers the era of the empire when the senate still had genuine power over the state. it is easy to dismiss them immediately upon augustus's ascension - they're just puppets of the emperor, everything about the supposedly split nature of the imperial government was a sham from the start, etc. - and in fact that's what people have basically done since gibbon, but there's definitely been a movement in recent years to reevaluate that assumption. it's quite plain if you look at various events post-augustus and pre-crisis that the senate in fact still wielded considerable power, both in legitimizing an emperor in the first place - they could and did deny legitimacy to various emperors in ways both official and unofficial - and in terms of literally governing half of the provinces in the empire. the principate is a more direct continuation of the republic than has been traditionally acknowledged, just with the position occupied by marius/sulla/caesar in the latter years of the republic legitimized as an actual chief executive instead of an usurpation of normal governmental powers. many institutions of the republic, including voting, continued more or less uninterrupted, although often just as corrupt as they were in the republic naturally.

after aurelian put everything back together again post-crisis it's a monarchy.

“lets just set up a system where everyone retires so i can go raise cabbages on my villa. i am a very smart imperator.”

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how many emperors got to retire and die peacefully? cant be more than a handful

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

“lets just set up a system where everyone retires so i can go raise cabbages on my villa. i am a very smart imperator.”

it’s a pretty sweet villa

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Diocletian was a bad emperor there I said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Diocletian was a bad emperor there I said it

his whole system imploded instantly into that feel good civil war we know and love