Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leviathan Song posted:

I've negotiated the last two job offers but it's highly specific to the agency and your personal situation. The first was a Air Force to Navy promotion and they were violating the opm two step promotion rules, which is borderline illegal. The second was Air Force to FAA lateral where I sent the following email:

jesus that email, I can almost hear the 'very respectfully,' at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Alucard posted:

The two step rule sets a minimum for promotions, but not a maximum. HR just interprets it as both...

They interpret the entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate as the maximum terminology but the not less than part would indicate you can go more than two steps, just not less. The "exceeds" covers that the rate has to be higher so the not less than appears to modify the step count.

In this case they were giving me a one step promotion which, yeah, is below the legal minimum.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Probably agency dependent but where I work, the new hire's manager (me) has to get information from them such as their pay stubs showing they are currently making $ that is higher than the grade/step of the offer. For example, I hired someone for a grade 13 position who was making approximately grade 14 step 5 pay in the private sector. I was able to get them approved to come in as a grade 13 step 10, which was still less than their previous pay.

Once they provide the pay information, I have to write a memo explaining why it should be permitted. This memo then goes up all the way to the chief of our business unit for approval. So, you need something like second level manager, 2 first level executives, and a 2nd level executive to approve it. The memo includes about a page long narrative emphasizing their qualifications and any and all justifications for why the hire is important to the agency.

Given the extra work and approvals required, it wouldn't surprise me if some managers don't even try, or if they do all it takes is one person in the chain to torpedo the request. I certainly wouldn't assume it's a guarantee.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Might not happen then, since I'm trying to make the jump from a postdoc to a staff role. Might as well roll the dice I guess

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Has anybody here gotten an email with an EOD date before receiving a firm job offer? I did earlier this morning, and I wanted to check in and see if it was standard, because it seems a little odd to me. I would need to relocate across the country for it, and I'd feel better about the situation if the EOD date was as good a confirmation as a firm offer. I don't think it is, I haven't completed the background check for the position (and I don't think it would be complete by their proposed EOD date), so I'm a little uncertain about how to feel.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dammerung posted:

Has anybody here gotten an email with an EOD date before receiving a firm job offer? I did earlier this morning, and I wanted to check in and see if it was standard, because it seems a little odd to me. I would need to relocate across the country for it, and I'd feel better about the situation if the EOD date was as good a confirmation as a firm offer. I don't think it is, I haven't completed the background check for the position (and I don't think it would be complete by their proposed EOD date), so I'm a little uncertain about how to feel.

It's common to come to an agreement on the EOD before issuing the firm offer letter. The signed firm offer letter often includes this date.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Leviathan Song posted:

It's common to come to an agreement on the EOD before issuing the firm offer letter. The signed firm offer letter often includes this date.

Oh thank goodness! Thank you.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dammerung posted:

Oh thank goodness! Thank you.

My bigger concern would be the status of the background check. You're right that it might not finish before you start, and if it's one of the tougher ones you really don't want to move and then get it yanked.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

My bigger concern would be the status of the background check. You're right that it might not finish before you start, and if it's one of the tougher ones you really don't want to move and then get it yanked.

Yeah, this is about where I'm at right now. Everything else, I could make it work, but it really can't be anything other than tentative until that's finished up. And, well, I had another job that required clearance not work out (although thankfully it wasn't because I was denied clearance), so I'm a little anxious. I'm thinking about asking if the EOD can be set for after I get my clearance all situated - relocating isn't too much of a problem for me after FEMA, so I'm confident that, as long as I start preparing now, I can relocate about a month approval without too much difficulty.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know the nature of the job or clearance, but it took my agency several years to approve my lowest leve background check. I was working the whole time.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Depending on the type of clearance there can be a "suitability" determination that can go quickly and can allow you to conduct the work while they're still pursuing the full background check. But if you fail the check afterwards I think some bad poo poo happens unless you can be put into a role that lets you do work not requiring the clearance.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Thesaurus posted:

I don't know the nature of the job or clearance, but it took my agency several years to approve my lowest leve background check. I was working the whole time.

Dang! I mean, I'd be pretty happy to have this job for a few years in general.

Alucard posted:

Depending on the type of clearance there can be a "suitability" determination that can go quickly and can allow you to conduct the work while they're still pursuing the full background check. But if you fail the check afterwards I think some bad poo poo happens unless you can be put into a role that lets you do work not requiring the clearance.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm looking at for the job at the moment. Tentative approval and all that.

This is all pretty exciting! Thank you all so much for all your advice.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Not sure on the agency in question, but when I worked for the BOP we did tentative clears to bring people onboard and then waited for the completed BI to do a final security/suitability adjudication, which sometimes took years, I recall one that took 6 specificly, granted now days they are getting done a lot faster.

But it was pretty rare for peeps to get fired/let go after their BI came back except in rather specific circumstances, most commonly involving certain types of falsification.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m on the bench for FEMA starting next week for an indeterminate amount of time - and my supervisor wants me to come up with something to keep me busy. What do???

“I’m gonna do a bunch of power BI and tableau lessons on skillsoft”?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm past my initial ninety days with the IRS and I am still in CSR training.

f u u u u u u c k

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Star Man posted:

I'm past my initial ninety days with the IRS and I am still in CSR training.

f u u u u u u c k

Regret going over? Or glad to be out of the post office hell?

Friend of mine started at the post office earlier this year, worked there for like 3 months and was just gently caress this poo poo, they don't pay enough for all the BS.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rakeris posted:

Regret going over? Or glad to be out of the post office hell?

Friend of mine started at the post office earlier this year, worked there for like 3 months and was just gently caress this poo poo, they don't pay enough for all the BS.

I have mixed feelings about it. I made more money even as a PSE, and I gave up converting to full-time and a five dollar an hour raise just to get the hell away from it. I'm going to have to put in five hours of overtime every week to match what my old take-home pay was after eating the deductions from all of my benefits and retirement contributions that I didn't have as a PSE. I keep meaning to get in touch with whoever I'm supposed to talk to so I can make a case to get kicked up to step two.

I'm in my tenth week of training and I think we're behind on stuff because this is the time I was told that we'd finally start doing OJI. I'm just bored to death and occupying my time with model building or playing Diablo while I listen to a trainer go on about stuff. Even when I am in office on Friday, it's just hard to pay attention to a lot of it and beat it into memory. And I've expressed that this is an awful lot of information to have to take in without being able to just gently caress around in an IDRS emulator or IAT or AMS besides the training modules on Little Red School House that are all on rails. I liked the ITLA tests because I actually used it in order to answer questions. I'm told by the people running this that my concerns about my worries over messing up and being unable to take everything in are normal and that it takes one to two years to even grasp it all. It's got a bit of an anti-customer service life where all I can do is tell people on the phone what to do or whatever an IRM or lead tells me to do or say. I'm going to have to delete twenty years of customer service knowledge from my memory and adjust to a new way of talking to people.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
34 years with SSA and we had to close an office due to a powdered fentanyl spill in the lobby, last week it was fecal vandalism. I'm really tempted to early out at the end of the year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

I have mixed feelings about it. I made more money even as a PSE, and I gave up converting to full-time and a five dollar an hour raise just to get the hell away from it. I'm going to have to put in five hours of overtime every week to match what my old take-home pay was after eating the deductions from all of my benefits and retirement contributions that I didn't have as a PSE. I keep meaning to get in touch with whoever I'm supposed to talk to so I can make a case to get kicked up to step two.

I'm in my tenth week of training and I think we're behind on stuff because this is the time I was told that we'd finally start doing OJI. I'm just bored to death and occupying my time with model building or playing Diablo while I listen to a trainer go on about stuff. Even when I am in office on Friday, it's just hard to pay attention to a lot of it and beat it into memory. And I've expressed that this is an awful lot of information to have to take in without being able to just gently caress around in an IDRS emulator or IAT or AMS besides the training modules on Little Red School House that are all on rails. I liked the ITLA tests because I actually used it in order to answer questions. I'm told by the people running this that my concerns about my worries over messing up and being unable to take everything in are normal and that it takes one to two years to even grasp it all. It's got a bit of an anti-customer service life where all I can do is tell people on the phone what to do or whatever an IRM or lead tells me to do or say. I'm going to have to delete twenty years of customer service knowledge from my memory and adjust to a new way of talking to people.

That's the IRS unfortunately. There's a bit more than just telling people what to do but there's a lot of rules and guidelines you're mostly expected to follow and they do get the job done for the basic tasks. You do have some level of latitude in some cases in helping people, but that's entirely up to your own judgement in how you want to handle a situation based on the IRM.

Example: Caller is asking for simple information on whether they owe money or not. Identity Theft flag pops up which requires more advanced questioning. Each of your tools will have a slightly different list of questions and info they can pull from. Taxpayer is successful in answering one question from one tool, but not the other. At this point you can try the other tools and other possible questions, or you can ask them to call back. I always opt for the former, but the IRM will allow you to do the latter (and it'll obviously vary based on your lead).

Example 2: There is a division of tasks between ACS (Collections) and AM (Accounts Management). ACS is basically to deal with tasks involving taxes owed. AM is to deal with refunds or more general issues. Obviously taxpayer situations aren't so simple and often enough one person will have issues that require tasks that fall into both departments' laps. There's no rules in the IRM about that division and it's largely all management rules. Depending on how much you want to help, you can totally help set up payment plans while as an AM employee even though that's an ACS responsibility. Similarly, as an ACS employee, you could disburse a refund even though that's an AM responsibility.

You are limited, sometimes, in how much you can help, but you have to pick your fights, so to speak, because the line of people also needing help is effectively infinite and you need to keep things moving to even keep up with the demand.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Unfortunately, the issues with IDRS stuff being a firehose of information with no good way to practice is a known thing -- the existing simulators aren't great, but there's not a lot of options for more realistic IDRS work that doesn't involve interacting with the real database and the resulting UNAX/privacy concerns. Over in Submission Processing, we try to do guided live work in training (with UNAX checks) to show people how the system looks in practice, but there's still a lot you just have to learn by doing when you're on the floor.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Nutella posted:

34 years with SSA and we had to close an office due to a powdered fentanyl spill in the lobby, last week it was fecal vandalism. I'm really tempted to early out at the end of the year.

The writing's on the wall (in poo poo)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nutella posted:

Now tell me it’s a level 2 office

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Xelkelvos posted:

Example 2: There is a division of tasks between ACS (Collections) and AM (Accounts Management). ACS is basically to deal with tasks involving taxes owed. AM is to deal with refunds or more general issues. Obviously taxpayer situations aren't so simple and often enough one person will have issues that require tasks that fall into both departments' laps. There's no rules in the IRM about that division and it's largely all management rules. Depending on how much you want to help, you can totally help set up payment plans while as an AM employee even though that's an ACS responsibility. Similarly, as an ACS employee, you could disburse a refund even though that's an AM responsibility.

Nope! Not any more. AM doesn't touch setting up installment arrangements now, everything that's not ruled an accounts issue that's more prolonged than paying off the bill right away gets shuffled off to the Voice Bot or ACS.

Somebody's got to be able to finagle a way to create a collection of UNAX-proofed fake IDRS accounts. I refuse to believe this is an actively impossible task rather than just a hella inconvenient one; it would be amazing to have loving guided tours for what the average version of a case looks like and the stuff you want to resolve it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, yeah, I really wish we had dummies like that. There have got to be some available TINs in the 9XX range that aren't earmarked for ITINs or IRSNs, right? It shouldn't be that hard to populate them with info for John and Jane Surname of 123 Fake Street.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
[

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Nope! Not any more. AM doesn't touch setting up installment arrangements now, everything that's not ruled an accounts issue that's more prolonged than paying off the bill right away gets shuffled off to the Voice Bot or ACS.

Somebody's got to be able to finagle a way to create a collection of UNAX-proofed fake IDRS accounts. I refuse to believe this is an actively impossible task rather than just a hella inconvenient one; it would be amazing to have loving guided tours for what the average version of a case looks like and the stuff you want to resolve it.

Ah, that's right around when I actually left the IRS.

Also yeah, you'd think. Just a pool of 000-XX-XXXX numbers would work as there are no numbers with a full set of zeroes in any of the three number groups allocated. But also, it being hella inconvenient and thus not doing it has always been a consistent theme with the IRS

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

GD_American posted:

Now tell me it’s a level 2 office

Indeed it is but a smaller sized one. I thought I'd done and seen it all but alas I guess there's more to come.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Nutella posted:

That’s hilarious. You can literally just mop up fent, cops performatively flopping every time they hear they’re within ten miles of a bag notwithstanding.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Loucks posted:

That’s hilarious. You can literally just mop up fent, cops performatively flopping every time they hear they’re within ten miles of a bag notwithstanding.

If you are incautious and aerosolize it (such as car- and remi- from the infamous Moscow theater event twenty years ago this fall) you can still have a bad time but yeah, be careful when cleaning up and it's not all that bad. It's worth closing that part of the building just to make cleanup easier and minimize casuals walking through and kicking up dust or contaminating themselves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey gov-DRONES stop whatever you're doing and buy BITCOIN

https://twitter.com/hodlberry/status/1558140017226256385

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was treated with respect and I just couldn't handle it

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Endless Mike posted:

Have you ever read something that, while clearly not intended to do so, really makes you appreciate what you have?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dammerung posted:

Have you ever read something that, while clearly not intended to do so, really makes you appreciate what you have?

If you read his followups, he notes that he has lots of people (who he notes are bad at the economy) asking if the government is hiring lmao

Incidentally, OPM has a direct hire listing for economists, program specialists, benefits specialists, and data scientists if anyone is looking for a new job.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Endless Mike posted:

If you read his followups, he notes that he has lots of people (who he notes are bad at the economy) asking if the government is hiring lmao

Incidentally, OPM has a direct hire listing for economists, program specialists, benefits specialists, and data scientists if anyone is looking for a new job.

DOT has a bunch of DHA as well.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?a=TD00

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Alucard posted:

Quoting for truth

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I'm really enjoying the Bitcoin crossover. Cashed out her TSP account to go all in on BTC in fuckin January...

https://twitter.com/bison_bitcoin/status/1558167402239516672?s=19

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it really seems like there are a bunch of Federal opportunities out there now! I hope some good comes out of his... unique personal economic pursuits.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I keep thinking those "I hate rewarding jobs" people have to be parody accounts but I understand the point is that insane right-wing people were already beyond parody even before Bitcoin

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Some people just equate hardship with "challenging" and can't fathom that you can be treated well and also still have a rewarding career. Also I feel like "hustle" mentality makes folks forget that you make money to enjoy life, not just for the sake of making money. But :capitalism:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve known a few people like that in government. One was in my hiring class and worked in the cubicle across from me. He was fully brainwashed. During training he would rent a car for the day instead of taking public transit to get anywhere, because transit was socialist. He had a doll in a car seat and used the HOV lanes, because they were somehow socialist. He would whine endlessly about how lazy government workers were.

He got let go at 364 days. He, of course, claimed it was because he’s male, and the female management chain had it out for him.

When his cases were distributed to the group, we found out that his complaints about government workers were pure projection. The guy wasn’t even doing the minimum required, and what little he was doing was done very, very poorly. It took a long time and a lot of work to fix his mess.

I have every belief that this btc bro is exactly the same kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

During training he would rent a car for the day instead of taking public transit to get anywhere, because transit was socialist. He had a doll in a car seat and used the HOV lanes, because they were somehow socialist.

lmao what a hero