Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

televiper posted:

Go buy this on Tuesday.

These are great and only look like a cruiser while being an 80's standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

televiper posted:

Go buy this on Tuesday.

Oh right on, nice find. Looks like they are closed until Thursday but I will add that one to the list to check out. Thanks!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

CongoJack posted:

Outside Seattle, on the eastside.

Hello fellow eastside goon. Things are pretty dire but you can generally find more stuff if you are willing to drive north/south for a bit.

Are you set on a sport bike as your first? If you’re willing to consider a dual sport this appears to be available nearby.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Speaking of buying bikes my wife has realized she doesn’t need a full set of tupperware plus captain’s chair for tooling around Colorado with me. She’s on the lookout for a smaller Spyder somewhere in the US that she can fly out to and ride back with me :dance:

(Hers is also having a bunch of problems so she is looking to trade it for a better model year anyway. Hardest part is finding one with a manual transmission, people love their AT Spyders I guess).

In short she is going from this:

To something more like this:

and speaking as the person who works on it, hooray

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:whitewater:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The new ones come with quasi-bottle cap wheels and I like the look for what it is

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
i say if this forum can get behind posters riding goldwings then they can put up with posters' SOs riding abominations like can-ams

it's not like i'm going to post about it a lot anyway, except to say things like "you would not believe how much computer control the parking brake on a trike needs and how often it can go wrong"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
tbh I like the looks of those more then the traditional trikes with one wheel on the front. Id ride it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve always been down with can ams. I don’t think I’d buy one for myself (come talk to me in 30 years) but I get why people think they’re cool

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ulf posted:

i say if this forum can get behind posters riding goldwings then they can put up with posters' SOs riding abominations like can-ams

Don't knock it til you've tried it, I suppose. At least it's not a Slingshot

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ulf posted:

Speaking of buying bikes my wife has realized she doesn’t need a full set of tupperware plus captain’s chair for tooling around Colorado with me. She’s on the lookout for a smaller Spyder somewhere in the US that she can fly out to and ride back with me :dance:

(Hers is also having a bunch of problems so she is looking to trade it for a better model year anyway. Hardest part is finding one with a manual transmission, people love their AT Spyders I guess).

In short she is going from this:

To something more like this:

and speaking as the person who works on it, hooray

I'm all for these. I don't think they're motorcycle replacements but they let folks who might not otherwise be riding get out.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The new ones come with quasi-bottle cap wheels and I like the look for what it is

I’ve been seeing a lot of the new design around and I think they look great. These smaller ones definitely make me rethink my previous distaste for can ams.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just can't possibly imagine cornering being anything but a chore on a tricycle like that. Do they have power steering? Do they lean at all?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

they look like lawn mowers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Conversely, lawn mowers look like can-ams

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh yeah, can your lawn mower do this :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCOgCEtXfY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao i’m not sure why I expected that to end any differently

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I just can't possibly imagine cornering being anything but a chore on a tricycle like that. Do they have power steering? Do they lean at all?
Yeah, chore describes it pretty well. No lean, a little body roll, but the biggest thing is needing to swing your body to the inside quad-style on turns to keep from feeling thrown off.

Just lacks the float of a motorcycle steering, and makes you miss being on two wheels.

My wife can’t ride a motorcycle though, and if I push her to then I’m the one responsible for getting her hurt/killed. So can-am it is.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'd love to try one out. Though maybe not at the skate park

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's not just whiskey throttle, that's full blown Crown Royal Northern Harvest.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I love the person skating over to pick up his hat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I’d ride a canam with snow tires in the winter. Like a road legal snowmobile.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

moxieman posted:

I’d ride a canam with snow tires in the winter. Like a road legal snowmobile.

If you live somewhere with enough snow in the winter and where they don't aggressively salt and plow, chances are snowmobiles are already road legal.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Finger Prince posted:

If you live somewhere with enough snow in the winter and where they don't aggressively salt and plow, chances are snowmobiles are already road legal.

But if you live somewhere where they do that’s close to somewhere where they don’t (say, a city near a mountain), a canam with snows would let you get from one to the other without needing a truck. Or at least let you get through the passes with your ride.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I wouldn't think they are that great in the snow. They appear to have pretty little weight on that single rear wheel. I have no experience with them, but they look like they would get stuck at the merest suggestion of a snowy incline or a wheel-sized hole in the snow.

I think you're better off with a VW Beetle (the real one) with all that good weight on its rear end.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
That doesn’t sound nearly as fun though

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
either I have the worst loving luck or god really wants me to ride a loud bike, because one of my baffles fell out again

The spot weld on the right side retaining screw just popped off and then the thing shook itself out as I was coming off the motorway. I knew immediately what it was when the exhaust note changed what with this being the second time it's happened, but not quite immediately enough to be able to pull over and find the drat thing before somebody hit it and sent it sailing off into the verge

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I can't see that any mechanic has given a crap about torque specs on bikes in the area, from my rear axle on the kawasaki the first time I adjusted my chain or my friend's fairings that cracked and flew off. The strategy there is somewhat follow torque specs and then threadlock all the things. All bolts are probably stretched and ruined and oily anyway.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

There's a quote from Top Gear, at the time about Hyundai, but I think it applies. "If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: 'I have no interest in cars.' If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you should have your driver’s license taken away."

This is Clarkson and Hammond's entire personality, with bonus racism.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do not take any life lessons from Top Gear please

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

loving A, the VanVan has developed a nasty little habit of dying out of the blue. It happened a couple times before and during a trail ride, but I convinced myself I must have dropped to idle (where it has stalled a few times before at lights). This weekend it dispelled the illusion and made us call off another trail ride by dying on me while going WOT at about 50mph uphill on the way to the meeting spot, FI flashing in a complex code I didn't capture and can't bring back up.

I absolutely hate troubleshooting intermittent, unreproducible problems. Did change X help or am I just getting lucky? Should I pay garbage tier mechanics to shake their chickens at it because the good shop is booked out till December?

I guess it's time to find a 6-pin OBD2 adapter and hope that tells me something, since shorting the interface with a wire like some guy on the internet said to do failed to present any FI flashing lights.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It likely won't be clever enough to store codes so you'll have to pull them as it's faulting. Does it run currently?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah, in fact every other time it just started right back up and was back on my way immediately. This last time it turned over but wouldn't catch at first, so I let it sit a few and then it started up.

If I didn't have a backup I'd probably still be riding it to work and risking the chances of a surprise engine braking lurch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My totally speculative guess is you have a bad CKP, this probably won't show up diagnostically (except for maybe you'll get misfire codes or other emissions stuff) but you can test it by checking for spark when the problem occurs and going from there. They tend to fail with heat, then the bike cools down and they start working again. The trail is a more heat intensive environment than the road usually cause you're going slower under heavier loads.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks, I'll keep that possibility in mind. It makes sense given what I've shared, but it did start right up after hours crawling around the desert at noon, and the hard start was only 20 minutes a ride on a cool foggy morning (I was flogging it though).

Here's hoping it fails again!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Riding to a dealership to sell my Ninja and almost hit an open manhole. Unmarked, in the shadow under an overpass so not super visible, not in a clear construction area.. just.. open..

I usually avoid manholes but sometimes I’m just “eh I have suspensions whatever” and roll over them. Glad I wasn’t lazy this time around. I think I’ll be making an extra effort to avoid them now, just because.

Keep replaying in my head how bad that could have been.. :mad:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What the hell, that's the stuff of nightmares

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl128 posted:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl128 posted:

But also the stuff of comedy action films so who can really say.

That sucks man. If I hit that with the Monkey I'd just disappear altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I usually avoid lids, if I can, especially square ones. With the exception of maybe the power company, those things are not routinely inspected at all. It's basically when someone (aka the city) complains, they hopefully go fix it. A circle or triangle lid will likely stay in place, even if it's broken, but square lids will fall in or buckle no problem.